DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 30 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015   #726
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
I guess my experiences with active with high end speakers has not been as successful as same speakers with Passives..

Passives in a high end solution has its place.. I would def go active in mid ranged speaker sets as those Passives are generic and are not built to high end standards and components such as the Focal cross block and F1 Passives and Morel Supremo s02 passives..

Even Morel state that the Passives enhance the supremo sets and I have read reviews on the Brax Graphic Pros where they tested both setups and agreed that the Passives are required..
Passives do have their place in car audio. But that depends on limitations of equipment. Using a passive with the P99 isn't a bad thing when you consider the limitations of the P99. I have two friends that use hi end speakers. One is using the P9 combo with Morel drivers and passive and the other is using the Focal Be #7 kit active without the crossblock and Mosconi 6to8v8 processor. Both have won First place in major competition events and they both sound great.

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015   #727
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
Passives do have their place in car audio. But that depends on limitations of equipment. Using a passive with the P99 isn't a bad thing when you consider the limitations of the P99. I have two friends that use hi end speakers. One is using the P9 combo with Morel drivers and passive and the other is using the Focal Be #7 kit active without the crossblock and Mosconi 6to8v8 processor. Both have won First place in major competition events and they both sound great.
Sounds good..

My car is busy with the install.. Using the P90 combo as well - I bought the cross block for future convenience of limiting the amount of amps. I ran my utopias in on a home system for about 3 months using a morel elate 3 way passive and to be honest if my car sounded that good I'll be happy
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015   #728
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Guys

So I was helping my brother tune his car over the weekend.. He has the P99 HU.. The P99 sounds weird in a sense that the it sounds very pitchy on the tops - I used my RTA to help tune it but it doesn't seem to get much better.

I tried to use my iPhone 6 as a source (using the 3.5mm jack to rca straight to the amp) and it sounds better - no more pitchy highs!

I tried to RTA the response and match the P99 to the iPhone and it would appear that the closest to the IPhone in terms of response is auto EQ off and flat response.. This actually sounded decent - but the bass response is not as good as it was before..

It seems you have to have the auto EQ on - but then I am back to a pitchy sound which isn't great..

Do you guys have a solution to this dilema? From my limited knowledge of the P99 this appears to be a problem - why must you auto EQ before tuning , why can't you just adjust small things on a no EQ platform?. Why can't the HU run as a dead head with no processing?

Am I missing something?

What if you just reset the unit?

D.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015   #729
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
I admit......passives are excellent high end crossover solutions that have their place in equalaterally placed cabinets in relation to a listening chair, using planned baffle sizing, and known response drivers.........
Agree

D.

Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
Old 04-07-2015   #730
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz View Post
What if you just reset the unit?

D.

D.

Old 04-07-2015   #731
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 236 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
On this setup it's the Alpine F1 2 way with revelator subs - it's impossible to get the F1's to sound as good as the Passives - trust me we tried!!

I am a firm believer that on the very high end speaker setups that offer a specialized passive - it's better to use them.

My other setup will run the Focal Kit 7 with cross block - I don't believe active can achieve the same SQ as a very specialized passive - remember the cross block has 4500 potential tweeks

From my own experience - the less you EQ the better the car sounded..

From my weekends tuning all it showed me was that unless you absolutely understand the type of curve your trying to achieve - it's a waste to have a EQ..

As anything adjusted just made it sound worse..

This is incorrect.

It's also not just about the curve. Phase is HUGELY important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015   #732
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
This is incorrect.
It's also not just about the curve. Phase is HUGELY important.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree!

After learning and understanding how DPS works (P99 in this case) and all the issues we ran into our cars, passive x-overs are a good memory.

And for speakers, what really matters it's the install + tuning! not the price

I love my P99

D.

Old 04-18-2015   #733

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 Mr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enough

Can somebody who owns one of these marvels get the dimensions of just the control panel. I'm thinking about installing one of these into a dash that isn't set up for a DIN chassis and if I can remote mount the control panel it might be an easier, read that as much less expensive install. Thanks in advance!
Mr Orange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2015   #734
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

How would you do that?
I've been trying to figure out how to link the face with the HU installing them far apart. I even post it here asking 4 help early in this thread and we couldn't figure out.

D.

Old 04-18-2015   #735

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 Mr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How would you do that?
I've been trying to figure out how to link the face with the HU installing them far apart. I even post it here asking 4 help early in this thread and we couldn't figure out.

D.
Use a ribbon cable. I saw a photo someplace where somebody had installed the face in a custom overhead mount. I only need to separate the face from the chassis by a few inches.

Someplace in this thread is also a link to some guy who completely took a 99 apart. I think it was a video but I've been unable to find it again. That might shed some light too.
Old 04-18-2015   #736

DIYMA freshman

I found the tear down thread...DEX-P99RS tear down and hacking fun! - General Car Audio - Talk Audio

Old 04-18-2015   #737
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

The face is about 17cm x 4.5cm

D.

Old 04-18-2015   #738
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
How would you do that?

D.
someone did it in a thread here a while ago using some sort of ribbon cable

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2015   #739

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
The face is about 17cm x 4.5cm

D.
Thanks!

My next request. According to the manual the face is removable but I've been unable to find any photos of it with the face removed. Would somebody shoot a couple of photos of the back of the face and the front of the HU with the face removed. I'm looking for how the two mate together electrically. I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2015   #740
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Anyone looking at selling theres. Please let me know.

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015   #741
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
someone did it in a thread here a while ago using some sort of ribbon cable
I wish I could find it, if you happen to cross by please repost it.

thanks

D.

Old 04-19-2015   #742

DIYMA freshman

Alrighty then!

Here is the back of the face connector...

And here is the mate on the HU...

This is what I'm attempting to do in a 2013 Ford Focus ST2...

Now that I've been driving to work at night several days without that large glowing screen lighting the interior this is going to happen one way or another even if I have to mount the 99RS in the glovebox! Yes it does fit but it just doesn't seem right to hide something so nice looking.
Old 04-20-2015   #743
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enough

so I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of these units, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question which I will pose to you all:

Can one play spotify through the p99rs via iPhone without the addition of the external bluetooth unit?
bigjig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015   #744
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjig View Post
so I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of these units, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question which I will pose to you all:

Can one play spotify through the p99rs via iPhone without the addition of the external bluetooth unit?
Yes it will play through the USB port. Sounds good too

I love to overthink things.
2008 Civic Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...an-exodus.html
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015   #745
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enoughbigjig will become famous soon enough

awesome!! thank you. does the p99 display artist/song names while playing spotify through USB? I assume you have to select/change songs through the iPhone interface, and not through the p99?
Old 04-21-2015   #746
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 jriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enough

I have successfully played spotify through USD from an ipad.

Under Construction
jriggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015   #747
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

and did the p99rs display the artist / song name when you played spotify through USB? can you control the spotify interface directly through the p99?
Old 04-21-2015   #748

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 w35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enough

So much want, so little $ =(
w35t_fg2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015   #749
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

just got my front stage up and going and wanted to try out the auto tune. anyone know if its possible to do auto tune without subs? i keep getting an error saying no subs

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #750

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 erlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
just got my front stage up and going and wanted to try out the auto tune. anyone know if its possible to do auto tune without subs? i keep getting an error saying no subs
You can do that by turning the subs off in the initial settings.
erlebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement