DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 31 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015   #751
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlebo View Post
You can do that by turning the subs off in the initial settings.
now how exactly do i do that? im new to this head unit

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015   #752
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
now how exactly do i do that? im new to this head unit
It's the same as it is on the p800/880/80. Go to the network menu select the sub in the network select left sub and press the command button and hold, it will mute in ~2-3 sec. Now flip to the R sub and mute that. If you want to un mute go back to the menu select sub and it will say MUTE, click the command button and the sub will be activated.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #753
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
It's the same as it is on the p800/880/80. Go to the network menu select the sub in the network select left sub and press the command button and hold, it will mute in ~2-3 sec. Now flip to the R sub and mute that. If you want to un mute go back to the menu select sub and it will say MUTE, click the command button and the sub will be activated.
ahh thanks. this thing is extremely confusing

Old 04-30-2015   #754
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 90 Wy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enough

So in the grand scheme of things...is this an MS-8 replacement do you guys think? Is the Auto Tune that good?

2016 VW GTI - Helix Sound Upgrade
Wy2quiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #755
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
ahh thanks. this thing is extremely confusing
Once you get used to the pio's they're very intuitive...... like all apple devices. People seem to either love both or hate both the brands.

I guess it come down to what you've been using. If you are a long time Alpine user, you will find everything about the pio clunky. Starting with the TA to the menus.

I've been using pio's since before the 8XX series and I find the alipne/kenwoods etc a bit clunky and confusing to navigate. Too many small buttons to keep track of. With the pio you've got volume and source control on the left knob and everything else on the right, nice and simple for dumbos like me.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
Old 04-30-2015   #756
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
Ok now that I'm here I'm not sure how to even get in network mode or what the command button is lol

Old 04-30-2015   #757
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

well turn the unit on, i press the multi control button and select audio, then go to the crossover settings? when i hold the multi control button in, it just goes from L&R channel to just left or right. then when i press and hold it again, it just goes back to L&R. or is this not "NW1" as it says in the manual?

Old 04-30-2015   #758
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to check, but I think you turn the subwoofers off in the initial settings. This is different than muting them in the menu. With the unit off, hold down the button until the settings appear. I believe one of the options is to turn the subwoofers off completely. Again, I'd have to go and actually do it to be certain of the steps, but if my memory is correct, that's how you do it.

I am one of those who think Pioneers are pretty easy to navigate. Perhaps it's because I've used Pioneer decks for 10+ years at this point, but I've never had any real struggles with them.

I'll try to check the exact steps for you.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #759
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
I'd have to check, but I think you turn the subwoofers off in the initial settings. This is different than muting them in the menu. With the unit off, hold down the button until the settings appear. I believe one of the options is to turn the subwoofers off completely. Again, I'd have to go and actually do it to be certain of the steps, but if my memory is correct, that's how you do it.

I am one of those who think Pioneers are pretty easy to navigate. Perhaps it's because I've used Pioneer decks for 10+ years at this point, but I've never had any real struggles with them.

I'll try to check the exact steps for you.
hold down the multi control button? going out to try it now. i will be back soon and report my endeavors

Old 04-30-2015   #760
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Ok now that I'm here I'm not sure how to even get in network mode or what the command button is lol
The left knob is your volume control and when you press the knob in it lets you select the source cd/fm/aux etc. The right knob is called the remote commander (I don't know why pio calls it that) anyway, pressing this knob takes you to a menu where you can select between entertainment / audio / settings (iirc). Entertainment is to setup the visual display on the HU. Select audio and it will take you to the audio menu and you can scroll between TA, eq, network, bbe and some other stuff. Every time you want to select something you have to press the RC.

Old 04-30-2015   #761
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hold down the multi control button? going out to try it now. i will be back soon and report my endeavors
Yes, just confirmed it. Turn the unit off, hold down the multi-controller button to enter the initial settings (language, clock, aux, etc.). I believe subwoofer is the second setting, after language (unless you turn the knob the opposite way, then you'll need to scroll through them all).

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
Old 04-30-2015   #762
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy2quiet View Post
So in the grand scheme of things...is this an MS-8 replacement do you guys think? Is the Auto Tune that good?
The P-99 has way more tune ability than the MS-8. The auto tune on the pio is so so. You're don't buy the p99 for it's auto tune.

Old 04-30-2015   #763
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Yes, just confirmed it. Turn the unit off, hold down the multi-controller button to enter the initial settings (language, clock, aux, etc.). I believe subwoofer is the second setting, after language (unless you turn the knob the opposite way, then you'll need to scroll through them all).
Thanks. I got it. I went through the auto ta and eq process but it didn't save it? It's still the same as before.

Old 04-30-2015   #764

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 erlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enougherlebo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks. I got it. I went through the auto ta and eq process but it didn't save it? It's still the same as before.
The P99 doesn't save the auto EQ in one of the five user EQ memories and we can't see what it does, but you should be able to see the results of the auto TA.
erlebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #765
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlebo View Post
The P99 doesn't save the auto EQ in one of the five user EQ memories and we can't see what it does, but you should be able to see the results of the auto TA.
ahh i see. and yeah i was able to see the results. and i just actually figured this thing out. thanks guys.

Old 04-30-2015   #766
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

It's a brilliant device, once you figure out how to make use of it's features. Glad you got what you were looking for.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 04-30-2015   #767
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

I need one of these so bad. Only place I can find a good price on them is out of Italy and i have no idea if their tuners work here. I hate the idea of also spending another $180 for a BT module. Cant believe they didnt include one with it. I understand wanting to keep it outboard so the chassis has as little noise intrusion as possible but still....

We have a member here with one for a damn good price but I want it to look brand new and his is a little less than good.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #768
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 126 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

To me it's a darn great unit which affords you several wonderful features. Do it man, do it lol...

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 FOR Sale with grill.
Clarion NX706 for sale
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015   #769
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

I should have bought yours

Old 05-01-2015   #770
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 126 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

That's ok as I'm getting another one as a Father's Day gift.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 05-01-2015   #771
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Cool, sell it to me.

Old 05-01-2015   #772
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

I'm sorry, we have a bad connection lol....

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 05-04-2015   #773

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 29 Mr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enough

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered a new 99RS. I got the email that it was being shipped today! Unfortunately now I'll have to just dream about turning it on as the custom install won't happen until next month. After making the rounds to talk to several installers I found one that can do what I want but it isn't going to be cheap but it is going to be very unique for my car.

Oh the install won't involve any ribbon cables. I gave up on that idea. I just couldn't justify voiding the warrenty on a $1200 head unit.

Separate topic and question. I can't imagine what kind of responses I'll get to this but here goes, flame suit on. I'm thinking of pairing my 99 up with a Helix DSP. I know the 99 has a built in DSP but that isn't the primary reason I bought one of these. I've never been a fan of all in one box kind of guy when it comes to electronics. My home system is all separates and I'm thinking an outboard processor could do better that the 99. It also seems like it would be a lot easier to tune. What do you think and has anybody else done this or thought of doing it?

I guess you should also know that I'm going to be setting this up in a standard front/rear configuration. The speakers will be Focal KR and the amps will be a JL XD800/8v2 bridged for 4 channels and the Focal 27KX sub will be fed by a JL 1000/1v2. This is all going into a Ford Focus ST2.
Mr Orange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015   #774
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered a new 99RS. I got the email that it was being shipped today! Unfortunately now I'll have to just dream about turning it on as the custom install won't happen until next month. After making the rounds to talk to several installers I found one that can do what I want but it isn't going to be cheap but it is going to be very unique for my car.

Oh the install won't involve any ribbon cables. I gave up on that idea. I just couldn't justify voiding the warrenty on a $1200 head unit.

Separate topic and question. I can't imagine what kind of responses I'll get to this but here goes, flame suit on. I'm thinking of pairing my 99 up with a Helix DSP. I know the 99 has a built in DSP but that isn't the primary reason I bought one of these. I've never been a fan of all in one box kind of guy when it comes to electronics. My home system is all separates and I'm thinking an outboard processor could do better that the 99. It also seems like it would be a lot easier to tune. What do you think and has anybody else done this or thought of doing it?

I guess you should also know that I'm going to be setting this up in a standard front/rear configuration. The speakers will be Focal KR and the amps will be a JL XD800/8v2 bridged for 4 channels and the Focal 27KX sub will be fed by a JL 1000/1v2. This is all going into a Ford Focus ST2.
I don't know how the processing of the Helix compares to the P99RS, but it does seem like a waste to spend $1,200 on the Pioneer just to use it as a controller. It's great looking, and well built, but that alone doesn't make it worth $1,200. I can't imagine the Helix DSP offering much better tuning options, but again, I don't know what it can do. I will say though, if you need more processing than the P99RS you have either an extremely advanced system, or you don't know how to use the tools that the Pioneer offers. Others will have to comment on the Helix unit, but it sounds to me like you spent $1,200 on one of the best head units made, just to use it as a controller.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 05-04-2015   #775
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
I don't know how the processing of the Helix compares to the P99RS, but it does seem like a waste to spend $1,200 on the Pioneer just to use it as a controller. It's great looking, and well built, but that alone doesn't make it worth $1,200. I can't imagine the Helix DSP offering much better tuning options, but again, I don't know what it can do. I will say though, if you need more processing than the P99RS you have either an extremely advanced system, or you don't know how to use the tools that the Pioneer offers. Others will have to comment on the Helix unit, but it sounds to me like you spent $1,200 on one of the best head units made, just to use it as a controller.
imagine again.. instead of 31 band graphic left and right, the helix is 31 band per channel parametric (almost positive its parametric). also has phase adjustments as little as somewhere around 10 degrees

Sponsored Links
Advertisement