DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 33 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015   #801
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

I wasn't commenting on what was inferior/superior, I was simply pointing out that this claim was wrong, " but only ALAC will actually use the DAC in the P99RS for conversion." Any digital format that is sent to the P99RS will use the DAC in the head unit.

I agree though that ALAC is the way to go, that's what I use, but to say that ALAC is the only file type that will go through the P99RS DAC is simply wrong.

Additionally, in modern equipment, the DAC is not going to be the weak link. I agree that avoiding multiple conversions is ideal, but the DAC in an ipod is going to be very respectable, and even if it measures more poorly than the DAC in the P99RS, it isn't going to be a problem.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15

Last edited by gijoe; 05-13-2015 at 03:10 PM..
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015   #802
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Magic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enough

I have a p99rs and I'd like to add a 12 disc changer. Does anyone know which one I would need that would connect to the p99rs? ....with music played though the disc changer, will the source signal be as clean as when played through the p99 itself?

Thanks.
Magic Hands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015   #803
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Hands View Post
I have a p99rs and I'd like to add a 12 disc changer. Does anyone know which one I would need that would connect to the p99rs? ....with music played though the disc changer, will the source signal be as clean as when played through the p99 itself?

Thanks.
I don't see the point when you could use an ipod loaded with lossless files. You'll get more albums, take up less space, and not sacrifice sound quality.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15

Old 05-13-2015   #804
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Magic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enoughMagic Hands will become famous soon enough

oh wow... for real? I guess I'm stuck in the 90's

I gotta figure out how to get these files on an ipod. Can I convert all my CD's to lossless? And the signal quality with be the same going through the ipod/usb cable.... as if I was playing a CD through the p99rs?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2015   #805
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
oh wow... for real? I guess I'm stuck in the 90's

I gotta figure out how to get these files on an ipod. Can I convert all my CD's to lossless? And the signal quality with be the same going through the ipod/usb cable.... as if I was playing a CD through the p99rs?

Thanks!
In iTunes you can rip your CDs to Apple Lossless (ALAC). The files will be bit for bit the same as a CD. The digital file will be sent via USB to the P99RS which has great digital to analog converters. I can say with confidence that it will sound every bit as good as a CD, you will be able to carry a ton of music, and you'll only need a single cable from the iPod to the deck.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 05-13-2015   #806
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

gijoe, you just saved me a lot of money and headache. THANKS BRO!!!!!
I'm just getting back into the game after a 20 year hiatus.
I'm guessing I can use my iphone instead of an ipod?
Old 05-13-2015   #807
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
gijoe, you just saved me a lot of money and headache. THANKS BRO!!!!!
I'm just getting back into the game after a 20 year hiatus.
I'm guessing I can use my iphone instead of an ipod?
I don't know which iPhones are compatible, but I use the newest generation iPod touch in it without issues.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 05-13-2015   #808
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I have the latest iPhone so I'm guessing that will work.... and i have 65 gig's still available. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2015   #809
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

All iPhones and iPods will work except maybe the first two generations of iPods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015   #810
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Now I can play with the kewl kids! Mine has been ordered.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015   #811
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Just bought my new iPhone 6 on Saturday and attempted to use Spotify via the P99RS with the lightning cable attached to USB input. Works like a charm and sounds great, wow I am excited. Even lets me skip tracks just like on my iPad 2. Woohoo!!!

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015   #812
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

So very very happy. Now if I can just get that trim ring to sit right......

Had to use the decks ring to get a proper fit it seems.

Last edited by LaserSVT; 05-27-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-27-2015   #813
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Though the 80PRS is no slouch, the P99RS is a nice upgrade right? Still loving mine as much and more than the day I got it

Old 05-27-2015   #814
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

The 80 is a wonderful deck but I thought its performance would be much closer. It is not.

Old 05-27-2015   #815
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

how much of a difference did you notice just by switching?

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015   #816
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Tons. It is much better sounding by a large amount.

Old 05-27-2015   #817
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Tons. It is much better sounding by a large amount.
or is it just psycho-acoustics at work?

Old 05-27-2015   #818
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
or is it just psycho-acoustics at work?
This certainly plays a big role. The 99 is beautiful looking, the controls feel more solid, and just the cost alone warrants a perceived improvement. It is a "better" head unit, but the 80 is no joke either.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 05-27-2015   #819

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 84 Tnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enoughTnutt19 will become famous soon enough

The p99 is light years better than the 80 having dealt with both. Not comparable at all. Not a big fan of the 80 but the p99 I love!
Tnutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015   #820
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnutt19 View Post
The p99 is light years better than the 80 having dealt with both. Not comparable at all. Not a big fan of the 80 but the p99 I love!
They are very comparable, I have also used both, as well as the 880prs. Yes the P99 has more features, and looks nicer, but if you are running a standard 2-way plus sub I don't see the P99 offering any real sonic advantages. It looks better, feels better, and has more features but I don't think there is a huge difference (if any) sonically (assuming both units are running the same setup).

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 05-27-2015   #821
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Apples & oranges. 3-way vs 4-way and the competency of either to accomplish what they were designed for, not what one may try to coax beyond its intended use deemed by the manufacturer. Then subtract cost difference & bias and what you have is neither comes close to being the end all be all but a clean enough unit to base a system off of whether alone or expanded through further outside electronic manipulation (your choice of poison). I do believe the comparisons are detailed on this forum.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015   #822
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
They are very comparable, I have also used both, as well as the 880prs. Yes the P99 has more features, and looks nicer, but if you are running a standard 2-way plus sub I don't see the P99 offering any real sonic advantages. It looks better, feels better, and has more features but I don't think there is a huge difference (if any) sonically (assuming both units are running the same setup).
I had identical setups in my Jeep and my truck, both 2-way with the same tweeters, same mids, same amps, same sub, same gain settings, same xover points, etc. 80PRS in the Jeep, P99 in my truck. Only Helen Keller would have thought they sounded the same

Old 05-27-2015   #823
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
I had identical setups in my Jeep and my truck, both 2-way with the same tweeters, same mids, same amps, same sub, same gain settings, same xover points, etc. 80PRS in the Jeep, P99 in my truck. Only Helen Keller would have thought they sounded the same
yeah i heard her hearing isnt that good. the lady probably couldnt even hear the differences between RCA cables

Old 05-27-2015   #824
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

LOL

Everyone's hearing is different. I attribute it to the more precise EQ, possibly better auto-EQ/TA though I thought the 80PRS did a better job at the Auto TA than the P99...P99 didn't really get it right unless I either played around with distances OR and this is a huge percentage of luck, but pointing the calibration mic just ever so slightly to the right and down put my soundstage wayyyyyy up high and center even without dedicated mids. A few members on here have heard it and told me I would not benefit much from going 3-way up front, that's how high it is, even with a 3khz crossover. And GM put the mids in these trucks wayyyy down low. I also noticed that even when I had identical everything including tweeters, mids, amps, xover points/slopes and TA distances, soundstage with the 80PRS was centered and pin-point exact while the P99 is wide and open. I'm sure there is a measurable spec for that but I'm no sound engineer so not sure what could create that. Either way, I prefer the wide open stage vs. pinpoint. Again, my ears are different than others and did not mean for my Helen Keller post to be offensive to anyone, just my own experience. And I'm not one to subscribe to audiophoolery very easily, still rocking factory Speaker Wire and compressed music 90% of the time I do wish the P99 had Bluetooth built in like the 80PRS, 80PRS Bluetooth sound quality is the best I've heard in any deck ever.

Old 05-27-2015   #825
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

It is not psycho somatic. Since the dash was apart and I had dual pre wired GM plugs I swapped the PRS80 back in after zeroing the P99 (forgot I could hit the reset button....doh!) because I was suprised how much better it sounded.
Both decks auto EQ off, TA off, EQ flat, sub set at -5 and 80hz @12db, mids at 100hz 12db and 2500hz 18db and tweeters high passed at 2500 with a 24db slope. Same CD. Took 5 minutes to swap decks so I heard them back to back. Sonicly the 99 is far superior. Two way active and it has much more processor to use than the 80 has.

I do need to readjust my amp gains as the 99 is definitely sending more voltage out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement