DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 34 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015   #826
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 316 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Can anyone tell me how well the P99 handles music from a flash drive or external hard drive?

I have been using a 160GB ipod classic, but it's on it's last leg, and buying a new one is silly with the prices now that they are discontinued. My 64GB touch just isn't enough for me, so I plan on using a non-ipod solution.

I'm worried about not having as much control with regard to selecting specific artists/albums/songs, and I'm wondering if a flash drive will be as quick as the ipod was. Also, what's the best way to organize the music? Do you need folders for artists and albums, do you need to put everything in a root folder with a specific name?

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015   #827
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 122 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
or is it just psycho-acoustics at work?
Next time you accuse me of that I am taking a leak on your Scan Speaks.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015   #828
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 122 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Can anyone tell me how well the P99 handles music from a flash drive or external hard drive?

I have been using a 160GB ipod classic, but it's on it's last leg, and buying a new one is silly with the prices now that they are discontinued. My 64GB touch just isn't enough for me, so I plan on using a non-ipod solution.

I'm worried about not having as much control with regard to selecting specific artists/albums/songs, and I'm wondering if a flash drive will be as quick as the ipod was. Also, what's the best way to organize the music? Do you need folders for artists and albums, do you need to put everything in a root folder with a specific name?
I just have mine with different artists and then various playlists. It finds everything quickly and works well. My only issue is sometime I stat it up and it says ERROR 19 and i have to unplug and plug in my USB card again. Not sure whats up with that. Also sometime it just starts the card over instead of going back to where it left off like it normally does.
Its a Verbatium micro 16gb and worked fine with the 80PRS.

Old 06-12-2015   #829
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 316 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
I just have mine with different artists and then various playlists. It finds everything quickly and works well. My only issue is sometime I stat it up and it says ERROR 19 and i have to unplug and plug in my USB card again. Not sure whats up with that. Also sometime it just starts the card over instead of going back to where it left off like it normally does.
Its a Verbatium micro 16gb and worked fine with the 80PRS.
Hmm, that's not encouraging. When you search, do you still have the ability to press the "DISP" button to scroll through by letter?

My ipod touch works fairly well, but it doesn't work as well as the classic did. The touch has a delay when switching tracks that the classic didn't have, it also likes to continue to display the previous song's information well into the next track.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
Old 06-15-2015   #830

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ZaiLH will become famous soon enoughZaiLH will become famous soon enoughZaiLH will become famous soon enoughZaiLH will become famous soon enoughZaiLH will become famous soon enoughZaiLH will become famous soon enough

how do i stop the screen from changing between black and white? is this some demo mode? i know i had this on another pioneer unit some years back but can remember how i disabled it...
ZaiLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2015   #831
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 233 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Refer to page 35 of your manual for "reverse mode".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015   #832
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Guys.. I need to replace the flex ribbon to the screen and volume knob (not always working when I turn the knob) do you guys know the part numbers for these and where I can get them from?

And if anyone has a service manual for this HU it would be greatly appreciated...
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015   #833
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Guys.. I need to replace the flex ribbon to the screen and volume knob (not always working when I turn the knob) do you guys know the part numbers for these and where I can get them from?

And if anyone has a service manual for this HU it would be greatly appreciated...
before you replace the ribbon, try cleaning the contacts of the multi-pin connector between the faceplate and the unit. Use q-tips and rubbing alcohol.
I have had to do this a few times a year and it never fails to restore connection.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015   #834
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
before you replace the ribbon, try cleaning the contacts of the multi-pin connector between the faceplate and the unit. Use q-tips and rubbing alcohol.
I have had to do this a few times a year and it never fails to restore connection.
Thanks for the tip.. Must I strip the radio? Or can this be done in the Car with no stripping?
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015   #835
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Thanks for the tip.. Must I strip the radio? Or can this be done in the Car with no stripping?
in car. just take the face plate off as if you were storing it for anti-theft reasons and clean each mating side of the connector

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2015   #836

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 CoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaiLH View Post
how do i stop the screen from changing between black and white? is this some demo mode? i know i had this on another pioneer unit some years back but can remember how i disabled it...
When the unit is turned off, hold the centre button on the remote. It'll open up a menu,scroll until you see reverse mode and turn it off.

CoLd_FuSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #837
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

anyone ever have issues with the remote not working? i tried using mine for the first time the other day (it has never even been opened before that) and nothing. maybe dead battery right out of the box? also, after about 20 seconds of idling, the display goes from black with white text, to white with black text. how do i get it to stop doing this. i cant really find anything in the manual

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #838
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 108 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Quote:
anyone ever have issues with the remote not working? i tried using mine for the first time the other day (it has never even been opened before that) and nothing. maybe dead battery right out of the box? also, after about 20 seconds of idling, the display goes from black with white text, to white with black text. how do i get it to stop doing this. i cant really find anything in the manual
This was covered a few posts up, and your remote battery is probably dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Refer to page 35 of your manual for "reverse mode".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #839
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
This was covered a few posts up, and your remote battery is probably dead.
shit lol. did i ask this like a month ago and not even remember? jesus christ i need to sleep more

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #840
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 108 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Quote:
shit lol. did i ask this like a month ago and not even remember? jesus christ i need to sleep more
You didn't ask but someone else did. No worries, we got you covered.

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #841

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 28 Mr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enough

So the 99 is in and running and even with just a basic flat tune it sounds great.

Now my problem. I did a search first and couldn't find anything. I've been through the initial setting but I must still have something set wrong. My display is cycling from black...

to white...and back again every ~30 seconds and it never stops.

What is causing this?

I found my answer a few threads up...

Last edited by Mr Orange; 07-24-2015 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: added txt
Mr Orange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #842
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 98 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
So the 99 is in and running and even with just a basic flat tune it sounds great.

Now my problem. I did a search first and couldn't find anything. I've been through the initial setting but I must still have something set wrong. My display is cycling from black...

to white...and back again every ~30 seconds and it never stops.

What is causing this?

I found my answer a few threads up...
Please check previous page. You will have to disable Reverse mode

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015   #843

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 28 Mr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enoughMr Orange will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
Please check previous page. You will have to disable Reverse mode

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk
Found my answer in thread 836. Thanks CoLd_FuSiOn!
Old 07-24-2015   #844
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

LOL @ the same question 3 times on the same page. I can understand not wanting to read the whole thread but at least read the last post. LOL

Nick! Take a nap.

Old 07-30-2015   #845

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 CoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLd_FuSiOn View Post
When the unit is turned off, hold the centre button on the remote. It'll open up a menu,scroll until you see reverse mode and turn it off.

Either the battery is dead or you've used a wrong battery in the remote,this one uses a slightly different rated model than the other pioneer remotes. Hope this helps...

Old 07-30-2015   #846
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

One thing I've noticed about the remote is that it has difficulty sometimes when the sun is hitting the sensor on the faceplate directly. It has only rarely been an issue, so my guess is that if the remote isn't working either the battery is dead, or it's in upside down (I've done that before, whoops!)

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 08-02-2015   #847

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Found my answer in thread 836. Thanks CoLd_FuSiOn!
You're more than welcome bro.. (y)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
One thing I've noticed about the remote is that it has difficulty sometimes when the sun is hitting the sensor on the faceplate directly. It has only rarely been an issue, so my guess is that if the remote isn't working either the battery is dead, or it's in upside down (I've done that before, whoops!)
My money's on the former...

Old 08-07-2015   #848

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 arrakian will become famous soon enougharrakian will become famous soon enougharrakian will become famous soon enougharrakian will become famous soon enougharrakian will become famous soon enougharrakian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mr. Orange,
What make is the dash kit you have, and what does the lock/unlock button operate?
arrakian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015   #849

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrakian View Post
Mr. Orange,
What make is the dash kit you have, and what does the lock/unlock button operate?
The bezel is made by Scosche and the switches are as indicated for the door locks and hazard flashers. Be advised that this is made for a Focus ST1. The stock connector has to be rewired to fit this piece. There is no replacement kit for the ST2/3. I got mine on Ebay for $99.
Radio Stereo Installation Mounting Dash Kit DD Scosche FD6200B | eBay

Old 08-30-2015   #850

DIYMA freshman

Can anyone tell me their experiences with particular hard drives that work perfectly with the p99 and ordered from amazon with the links?

The more the merrier and preferable something durable,but the most important factor being that it is tried and tested since I don't intend to order a hard drive and then find out that it's not working with the head unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement