DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 37 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016   #901

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 RattyMcClelland will become famous soon enoughRattyMcClelland will become famous soon enoughRattyMcClelland will become famous soon enoughRattyMcClelland will become famous soon enoughRattyMcClelland will become famous soon enoughRattyMcClelland will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

2nd hand but mint condition.
Honestly I think it's cheaply made. I'm comparing it too my drz which imo is light years ahead quality wise, buttons feel better, remote is better, heavier and more solid.

Even my old cheap Sony CDX-F7710 was better made.

Despite all of this is does sound lovely. It's function is brilliant, form is lacking.

1996 JDM Honda Prelude Type S - Clarion DRZ9255/P99RS - HAT L6SE - L3SE - L1Pro SE - Genesis SA50, DA110, Dual Mono x2- HAT Clarus C12s
RattyMcClelland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016   #902
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 153 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLd_FuSiOn View Post
The only sure shot way is to find out by experimenting with it, if the player somehow manages to show itself as a mass storage device it just might work. IMHO though, i'd still prefer running either a USB drive/Hard drive or through an ipod since the p99 bypasses the ipod's DAC and processes the raw data itself.
Well....limited success. Connected with a mini-USB to USB....the 200GB micro SD card that is in slot 1 shows on the P99 just like a thumb drive. The files I have on the card are in M4a - 320kbs, and the 99 has no issues playing these. Of course it wouldn't play a .dsf file I had on the card

The 'limited' success part was primarily concerning only being able to access the card in slot 1 - can't access the card in slot 2. Which stands to reason.....when there is an update to the firmware - it gets loaded through slot 1.....so that is the slot that is 'tied' to the usb input.

bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016   #903

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 25 michael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyMcClelland View Post
I got my p99rs install last week.

- You can't turn off the stupid beep
- Build quality is absolutely appalling, loose and plastic. Definitely not high end and nothing compared to my drz9255.
- Sounds good
- ipod function is excellent
- it's not drz but ipod functions overrides everything.
- did I mention poor Build quality, tacky rca plugs, remote made if cheese, head unit face moves a millimeter or too.
- menus are a pain
- processing is excellent
Yeah I had similar experiences with the 80PRS. Felt worse than a $50 walmart head unit.

It continues with my 8100NEX..that thing is horrible lol.

Problem is, IMO Pioneer makes some of the best heads for the money so...it's like what do you do?
michael92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016   #904
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 JVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enough

Honestly, that's my experience with every modern HU right now. Once you touch and feel a DRZ nothing compares. People want better and better tech for less and less money. The world we live in.
JVD240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016   #905

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 25 michael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enoughmichael92 will become famous soon enough

Oh well I suppose. I mean the Build quality could be better but I really enjoy the head unit apart from that....it could be faster though. Seriously..it's SLOOWWW.
michael92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #906

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 RRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enough

Has anyone here used a pc based program for tuning with the p99? I was curious if it is legit to use the aux input to plug in the mic preamp for tones/bursts (specifically for doing T/A setups) The whole pc tuning thing is new to me. I am in the process of assembling all the gear, and want to do it right...

DEX P99rs / Pioneer prs800D (2) / Zapco ST-1000XM / Zapco ST-4XSQ / SI BM MKiv / SI TM65 Mkll / CDT ES-02 / SI M25 xbl2 /
RRizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #907
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 97 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizz View Post
Has anyone here used a pc based program for tuning with the p99? I was curious if it is legit to use the aux input to plug in the mic preamp for tones/bursts (specifically for doing T/A setups) The whole pc tuning thing is new to me. I am in the process of assembling all the gear, and want to do it right...
Yep can be done, i use REW n use the aux input on faceplate to run sine sweeps all the time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
piyush7243 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #908

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 RRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enoughRRizz will become famous soon enough

thanks for the reply.

DEX P99rs / Pioneer prs800D (2) / Zapco ST-1000XM / Zapco ST-4XSQ / SI BM MKiv / SI TM65 Mkll / CDT ES-02 / SI M25 xbl2 /
Old 02-28-2016   #909
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
Yep can be done, i use REW n use the aux input on faceplate to run sine sweeps all the time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Just to clarify. You can use REW to take measurements, but you cannot use it to do the actual tuning. You still need to make the adjustments manually from the head unit, you cannot simply tune on the PC and upload the tune to the P99.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #910

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kia service consultant

Rep Power: 58 The Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyMcClelland View Post
I got my p99rs install last week.

- You can't turn off the stupid beep
- Build quality is absolutely appalling, loose and plastic. Definitely not high end and nothing compared to my drz9255.
- Sounds good
- ipod function is excellent
- it's not drz but ipod functions overrides everything.
- did I mention poor Build quality, tacky rca plugs, remote made if cheese, head unit face moves a millimeter or too.
- menus are a pain
- processing is excellent
I'll buy it from ya 50$ Then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Performer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #911

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Just to clarify. You can use REW to take measurements, but you cannot use it to do the actual tuning. You still need to make the adjustments manually from the head unit, you cannot simply tune on the PC and upload the tune to the P99.
Yes, I do understand that part. Just need/want to take a few measurements with it.

Old 02-28-2016   #912
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 109 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael92 View Post
Oh well I suppose. I mean the Build quality could be better but I really enjoy the head unit apart from that....it could be faster though. Seriously..it's SLOOWWW.
Stay far away from the Eclipse CD7200 MKII, it makes the P99RS seem like a supercomputer.

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #913
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizz View Post
Yes, I do understand that part. Just need/want to take a few measurements with it.
Good, just making sure you understood that you can't really do PC based tuning in the way that many new DSPs can. You can use REW to measure, but not to tune. The tuning has to be done manually.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2016   #914

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Crazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enough

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me whether portable mp3 players such as Sony Walkman or iPods etc are compatible and can be connected to the 99rs via cdbt 200 Bluetooth adapter that is an option for the 99 ?
I have connected my cell phones with it but would like the option of purchasing a Bluetooth mp3 player and running it with the 99rs via the BT 200 adapter.
Crazy pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016   #915
DIYMA 500 Club

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
cartoys
Position:
Install Manager/ Goofball

Rep Power: 52 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy pete View Post
Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me whether portable mp3 players such as Sony Walkman or iPods etc are compatible and can be connected to the 99rs via cdbt 200 Bluetooth adapter that is an option for the 99 ?
I have connected my cell phones with it but would like the option of purchasing a Bluetooth mp3 player and running it with the 99rs via the BT 200 adapter.
If it uses A2DP it will connect to the cdbt200 .

Frikkin nerd out man!
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016   #916

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Crazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enoughCrazy pete will become famous soon enough

Thanks I'm just having trouble sourcing a quality Bluetooth enabled mp3 player.
Old 06-27-2016   #917
DIYMA 500 Club

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
cartoys
Position:

Rep Power: 52 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy pete View Post
Thanks I'm just having trouble sourcing a quality Bluetooth enabled mp3 player.
Your phone will work just fine , once it's transmitted on A2DP the "high quality" signal goes poo poo anyway.

Frikkin nerd out man!
Old 06-30-2016   #918

Banned

Can anyone help here.
Was blasting my music about all of sudden smelt a slight burning sound in the Car after a loud banging noise from the speakers . After lowering the volume put my ear to the speakers they all seem to be working.
Have I burnt them or damaged in anyway ?
Old 07-03-2016   #919

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 9 beginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, I've just joined to share my plans for an incremental system upgrade and HU is my first target. This unit has really got my eye at the moment but I am finding it absolutely impossible to find anything that tells me much about day to day use with the thing, I've read and watched plenty of videos that nicely detail the tuning and options and am convinced it sounds great, but not once have I seen anything about actually selecting and playing a track.

This is make or break for me as I have a reasonably large collection that I like being able to easily keep up to date on a USB and pick from whenever I want, but unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to test out a unit first hand.

Hoping you guys might be able to help give me an idea of how it goes with a bigger library
beginner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2016   #920
DIYMA 500 Club

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
cartoys
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner View Post
Hey guys, I've just joined to share my plans for an incremental system upgrade and HU is my first target. This unit has really got my eye at the moment but I am finding it absolutely impossible to find anything that tells me much about day to day use with the thing, I've read and watched plenty of videos that nicely detail the tuning and options and am convinced it sounds great, but not once have I seen anything about actually selecting and playing a track.

This is make or break for me as I have a reasonably large collection that I like being able to easily keep up to date on a USB and pick from whenever I want, but unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to test out a unit first hand.

Hoping you guys might be able to help give me an idea of how it goes with a bigger library

It's very decent from a flash drive , runs about 2mbps if i were to guess. Library shows up and can scroll fast through it.

And iPod with the old 30pin pbus adapter were trechorous , the usb on 30 pin adaptor is ok, again the old 30pin was one way fast one way slow , my iphone6 works great, and can scan just fine.

I have a lot of 24/96 on flac on flash drives and it's fine

Frikkin nerd out man!
Old 07-04-2016   #921

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 9 beginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enoughbeginner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
It's very decent from a flash drive , runs about 2mbps if i were to guess. Library shows up and can scroll fast through it.

And iPod with the old 30pin pbus adapter were trechorous , the usb on 30 pin adaptor is ok, again the old 30pin was one way fast one way slow , my iphone6 works great, and can scan just fine.

I have a lot of 24/96 on flac on flash drives and it's fine
Awesome thanks mate. What's this about flac though? It can't can it?
Old 07-06-2016   #922
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 109 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner View Post
Awesome thanks mate. What's this about flac though? It can't can it?
No but it can play full resolution WAV files. I know some people play WAV files from a USB hard drive. I use Spotify via iPhone, it works great with my iPhone 6 via USB to Lightning cable.

It's my favorite HU ever; I've never kept one this long, don't think I'll ever part with it either. It just works and sounds amazing in the process.

Old 07-06-2016   #923
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Edit: Double post

Old 07-06-2016   #924

DIYMA freshman

Yeah that's cool, I can convert the flacs pretty used to it, now I'll have triples of half the collection Was pretty tempted by the Sony which can do it, but then no display killed it for me.

To be honest I've been a fan of MP3 for something like 20 years now, banishing optical media was my first priority and it's great to have devices everywhere allowing me to be free of it. But as my thirst for quality grows my patience for the format thins, and with all manner of storage so cheap these days I'd really prefer to just have everything in the one format regardless of the size.

Anyway will make do with WAV, the usb mass media implementation sounds pretty slack but hopefully I'll get something rigged up to make preparation painless, just the usual and no deal breaker, in fact there was a brand new unit for sale at $3 over my budget, so I stretched and it's on its way

Now I gotta sort out how I'm going to run this thing for now. I probably can't afford new speakers til end of the year / start of next, would I go alright ditching my rears and just running 2 way up front + subs?
Old 10-05-2016   #925
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Update 10/5/16
Still running the P99, no major hardware changes. Yesterday I turned off time alignment
because I had been hearing slight phase / comb filtering noise when using FM. I don't use FM that often but when I do I expect it to sound better than most new OEM systems and honestly it didn't.
So I turned off all TA and adjusted the levels to be equal left and right and then centered the image using the balance control. So far it is a smoother, easier to liste to sound with and extreme wide soundstage compared to the TA optimized "spot light" in the center of the windshield where most of the sound originated from.
The new sound isn't perfect but I am enjoying it.

I has also been noticing less bass impact- I may need to remove the door covers and see if my woofer screws are loose. My sub screws were definitely loose and tightening them also tightened the bass.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement