DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 38 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016   #926
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Update 10/5/16
Still running the P99, no major hardware changes. Yesterday I turned off time alignment
because I had been hearing slight phase / comb filtering noise when using FM. I don't use FM that often but when I do I expect it to sound better than most new OEM systems and honestly it didn't.
So I turned off all TA and adjusted the levels to be equal left and right and then centered the image using the balance control. So far it is a smoother, easier to liste to sound with and extreme wide soundstage compared to the TA optimized "spot light" in the center of the windshield where most of the sound originated from.
The new sound isn't perfect but I am enjoying it.

I has also been noticing less bass impact- I may need to remove the door covers and see if my woofer screws are loose. My sub screws were definitely loose and tightening them also tightened the bass.
You should be using both balance and TA, they both work together and affect different frequency ranges. You will not get a realistic soundstage with balance alone.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2016   #927
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
You should be using both balance and TA, they both work together and affect different frequency ranges. You will not get a realistic soundstage with balance alone.

Never thought of using the balance - I assume you referring to one or 2 clicks and no more?

How much balance can be used without it affecting the spectral balance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016   #928
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Never thought of using the balance - I assume you referring to one or 2 clicks and no more?

How much balance can be used without it affecting the spectral balance?

The balance is adjusting output levels left to right. You can do this to each speaker, and you should be doing this with each speaker. Localizing high freqencies is dominated by amplitude (phase/TA does almost nothing up high) so if you want to tune tweeters you need to adjust their output and one will almost always be a couple dBs lower than the other. At low frequencies phase dominates, so TA is critical and amplitude has much less of an affect.

Both are important and should be applied to all speakers, but it is far more important to use amplitude up high and phase down low.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016   #929

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 domestos will become famous soon enoughdomestos will become famous soon enoughdomestos will become famous soon enoughdomestos will become famous soon enoughdomestos will become famous soon enoughdomestos will become famous soon enough

Hello Everyone,

I am currently considering purchasing DEX-P99RS headunit and Build simple system with JL audio 600/6 amplifier, Morel Hybrid 605 2-way system and P 25F Focal Sub.

THe question I asked to US Pioneer Customer Support was whether the ehadunit would cooperate with iPhone 7 as a sound source using accessory Pioneer cable with lightning connector. I would like to use iPhone 7 256 GB as from either looseless format from Itunes or using TIDAL app that provides FLAC file access.

The answer was that it does not cooperate with iPhone 7 and that there is no guarantee it will work - it sound as if they have no idea if it will or will not work together.

Could I please ask you folks to try if it would work together?
domestos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2016   #930

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enough

I am not sure if anyone knows this, but onkyo HF Player for iOS plays a variety of HD music files, including flac. I have tested this player on my P99rs and it indeed is playing FLAC files through my stereo with titles and track control.
bundles78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2016   #931
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestos View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am currently considering purchasing DEX-P99RS headunit and Build simple system with JL audio 600/6 amplifier, Morel Hybrid 605 2-way system and P 25F Focal Sub.

THe question I asked to US Pioneer Customer Support was whether the ehadunit would cooperate with iPhone 7 as a sound source using accessory Pioneer cable with lightning connector. I would like to use iPhone 7 256 GB as from either looseless format from Itunes or using TIDAL app that provides FLAC file access.

The answer was that it does not cooperate with iPhone 7 and that there is no guarantee it will work - it sound as if they have no idea if it will or will not work together.

Could I please ask you folks to try if it would work together?
The Tidal streaming service doesn't give you access to flac files but a library of high resolution music that you are streaming from there servers. I have done some checking on this service and the consensus seems to be that the quality isn't really worth the extra money you are paying in comparison to the other services out there.

With itunes you aren't using Flac. Itunes isn't compatible with Flac but apple lossless or m4a. What most people do is convert from flac to apple lossless and then upload those files to there ipod or iphone. This can be played on the p99 with no problems whatsoever as far as I know. It plays just fine on my Pioneer 80 deck and it's a fraction of the cost of the p99.

""
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2016   #932

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enoughbundles78 will become famous soon enough

If you want to play FLAC on your P99, Use the Onkyo HF player on the app store. Once you upload all your FLAC files to your Iphone or Ipad in itunes, you can then use the HD feature in the Onkyo HF player to play back FLAC files on your P99rs. I have tested this to work on my own iPhone 6plus. i am not sure about the 7, but if the digital audio protocols are the same to maintain backwards compatibility with sound docks and such, then i imagine the 7 should work on the P99.
Old 10-31-2016   #933
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundles78 View Post
If you want to play FLAC on your P99, Use the Onkyo HF player on the app store. Once you upload all your FLAC files to your Iphone or Ipad in itunes, you can then use the HD feature in the Onkyo HF player to play back FLAC files on your P99rs. I have tested this to work on my own iPhone 6plus. i am not sure about the 7, but if the digital audio protocols are the same to maintain backwards compatibility with sound docks and such, then i imagine the 7 should work on the P99.

I don't really understand how this is possible as the P99 only plays 24/48bitrate as max... FLAC is much higher bitrate...

Somehow I think the Onkyo player reduces the bitrate to be compliant with IOS - I don't think it's true FLAC

Old 10-31-2016   #934

DIYMA freshman

to be honest, i am not sure either. but i have one piece of information that kinda proves i am correct. the main reason i tested this was i bought a chord mojo DAC/headphone amp. the chord plays any kind of music file from an ios device using the hf player. this includes DSD files. when playing Hi Res files through the ios device the chord lights upto indicate the bitrate/filetype. So i do know that my iphone outputs the filetype directly to the digital out. If for some reason it changes this scheme for connection to the P99rs, then i have no way to detect that right now. but as of right now it seems i am getting FLAC into my P99rs
Old 10-31-2016   #935
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 131 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

I'm using a Vox media player on my iPhone 7 to play 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC tracks to my P99. The P99's 24 bit DACs should be able to use a sample rate up to 48 Khz. The higher sampling rate tracks play just fine. I think the P99 is still using the 24 bits of the FLAC tracks but is down-sampling the rate to 48 Khz. I can hear a difference playing the same song from CD and from a 24/192 FLAC file I downloaded from HD Tracks. The HD track has a larger soundstage and more room between the instruments than the same track from a CD.

I'm waiting on the upcoming Zapco HDR processors that will handle 24/192 FLAC straight in through a wifi connection. Last I heard they are supposed to be out in January or February.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016   #936
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't really understand how this is possible as the P99 only plays 24/48bitrate as max... FLAC is much higher bitrate...

Somehow I think the Onkyo player reduces the bitrate to be compliant with IOS - I don't think it's true FLAC

keep in mind the age of this model. a lot has changed since the 99RS hit the scene.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016   #937
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
keep in mind the age of this model. a lot has changed since the 99RS hit the scene.

I suppose the acid test is to copy a FLAC file onto USB and see if it will play on a P99 and take the exact same file and play it on the iPhone - if it plays on both - great if not something isn't right on the iPhone...

Old 11-04-2016   #938
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone ever tried plugging an Android phone into the P99RS USB input? Is there possibly an app for Android that would make it work? I am getting really tired of iOS 10 crashing so much on my iPhone 6, no wonder Google now has 90% mobile OS market share.

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2016   #939

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 juventus will become famous soon enoughjuventus will become famous soon enoughjuventus will become famous soon enoughjuventus will become famous soon enoughjuventus will become famous soon enoughjuventus will become famous soon enough

Do you loose SQ when converting FLAC above 24/48 bit rate to WAV format (which 99rs supports)?
juventus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2016   #940
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
The balance is adjusting output levels left to right. You can do this to each speaker, and you should be doing this with each speaker. Localizing high freqencies is dominated by amplitude (phase/TA does almost nothing up high) so if you want to tune tweeters you need to adjust their output and one will almost always be a couple dBs lower than the other. At low frequencies phase dominates, so TA is critical and amplitude has much less of an affect.

Both are important and should be applied to all speakers, but it is far more important to use amplitude up high and phase down low.
I switched back to TA very shortly after running without it. Sounds the best with TA active.
I think my phase interference issue was caused by the crossover settings. I now leave a small gap between the mid bass and midrange crossover frequency- e.g. 630Hz on the midbass, 80oHz on the midrange.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2016   #941

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Dark side of the moon.
Position:
Installation manager

Rep Power: 0 Joe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enough

Thank you for all the useful information. I am now on the hunt for one of these amazing head units.
Joe r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2016   #942
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Apartment is empty waiting for the new tenant. Bumping over to the 99RS from an 80PRS. Will be anxious to see how much of a sonic upgrade it will be feeding a signal to the Helix DSP. I suspect as nice as the burr-browns in the 80PRS do, the significant upgrade in DAC's and preamp stage will be instantly noticeable. And also the faceplate and sheer classiness of it. Excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 11-21-2016   #943
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 126 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

I'm selling my Helix Pro and Director as well as my Zapco amp and swapping solely to a P99 for my Ram.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 FOR Sale with grill.
Clarion NX706 for sale
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016   #944

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Dark side of the moon.
Position:
Installation manager

Rep Power: 0 Joe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enough

Looking for one now. Hoping to trade my brand new bit one or brand new ps8.
Joe r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016   #945
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Apartment is empty waiting for the new tenant. Bumping over to the 99RS from an 80PRS. Will be anxious to see how much of a sonic upgrade it will be feeding a signal to the Helix DSP. I suspect as nice as the burr-browns in the 80PRS do, the significant upgrade in DAC's and preamp stage will be instantly noticeable. And also the faceplate and sheer classiness of it. Excited.

I made the same upgrade a couple years ago, you will not regret it.

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016   #946
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 45 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Youre telling me you can hear a difference between an 80prs and a p99rs?
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016   #947
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

With the trends nowadays - just wondering if there will be any use for a P99 in say 3-5 years time...

I mean with the Sony starting things rolling and now Helix DSP PRO2 with a USB input and 32bit dacs.... I doubt any new high end CD player will be released anytime soon...

Old 12-03-2016   #948
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Youre telling me you can hear a difference between an 80prs and a p99rs?

I'll let ya know when I can. But I'm gonna bet most definitely.

Build Log
Old 12-03-2016   #949
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
With the trends nowadays - just wondering if there will be any use for a P99 in say 3-5 years time...

I mean with the Sony starting things rolling and now Helix DSP PRO2 with a USB input and 32bit dacs.... I doubt any new high end CD player will be released anytime soon...

Yeah I have a feeling the 99 will be the last of the great preamp-only SQ-oriented CD player head units.

Build Log
Old 12-03-2016   #950
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I have a feeling the 99 will be the last of the great preamp-only SQ-oriented CD player head units.

Me too - I bought the new Sony and tried it side by side with my P99 and I have to say the Sony molested it properly....

Sold the P99 after that.... down side to the Sony is the need for a external DSP which makes the setup nearly twice as much as a P99...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement