DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 41 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016   #1001
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
Exactly, DAC is a tiny part of the greater signal chain.

Weird that you could hear hiss with your P99. Maybe it was affected by something else in your electrical system? Mine picks up a weird noise when I first start my truck in the morning on cold days but then it goes away when it warms up. Might be my alternator but I am not sure.

Cool that you got to compare the two, but I am bummed Sony did not include any DSP. TBH, I don't really get the point of the GS9...$1500 for what amounts to an optical extractor for my phone is puzzling. Or am I missing the point of it?

Just try it for yourself, no matter how much you speculate on others' experience with gear you haven't heard, it won't advance your own personal opinion. And I am saying this in the nicest way possible, if you are really that interested in comparing them, you have to hear it for yourself. I wasn't expecting to hear a big difference but it was substantial. I was hoping I could keep my $250 80PRS and flip my 99 for a gain after scoring the deal of a lifetime on it. Build quality wasn't a big factor; I drive a chunky American Car with the cheapest plastic dash I've ever seen in a newer $40k+ truck, or else I'd have bought a G-wagen years ago.

So then people will say it's the tuning and not the DAC or the opamps or the DSP, etc. But as end users we can't customize individual components so we have to trust the manufacturer's sum of the parts. And that's where we hear the difference. Not the DAC or anything like that, but the entire package. And if someone doesn't hear a difference or thinks the P99 sounds worse, that's not wrong either and they're going to save $1k. But you still owe it to yourself to make the decision first-hand.

I agree with your phone straight to DSP statement. IMHO 90% of headunit funtionality became obsolete the moment you could put lossless and high-res music on a phone. What's missing is an easy to use display with intuitive controls that are safe to use while driving. That's one of my favorite things about the P99, it lets me change tracks in Spotify on my iPhone. I wish it did more in Spotify, but it's better than nothing. However, my patience with Apple has been short lately and the fact that the P99 is married to iOS sadly limits its lifespan. I like discovering new music while I drive so reverting to music on storage is not an option for me. Which is why...

...this and the Zapco HDR definitely have my interest. I have some friends working on another option that would put lossless wireless phone connectivity, DSP, and Hypex amps in the same small box. Potentially swappable amp modules too. Options like this are exciting and give me hope despite the SQ HU market having been dead for years.

I wonder if that HDR DSP is ever going to come - I spoke to John about it well over a year ago and he hasn't responded to my latest emails so I wonder if there is a issue there...

The Sony HU can be had for under $1000 now BNIB or lightly used you can buy a DSP PRO for $500 - you could have a decent combo for under $1500

The P99 is a dying product IMHO - as it is only cheap new cars have removable radios and that is changing as well.... the Sony will also have a similar problem - but with the Sony you could operate it in a remote location.

The future really is the DSP PRO.2 with USB input - use your iPhone or iPad as a source and your done - full DSP 32bit dacs etc no need to worry about where to fit your din sized source...

What's nice about the USB input is that it's like a independent source that is not dependent on the HU quality and you can have both OEM and USB

The reason why Sony didn't do a full DSP on the HU is because it would have a much higher retail price so they decided against it - guys are saying $1500 is too much can you imagine if it was $2200 with a DSP - nobody will buy it....

I suspect Sony will make a matching DSP - its the only logical next step...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016   #1002
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 173 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Definitely dedicated.
Why? Is there an established thing for these head units or something? I ran the 80PRS no issues on harness power/ground. I'm totally indifferent on either side of that topic so completely open minded. I can easily run a 16x2 from the distro blocks in trunk, since there's stuff I'd like to do while the carpet is up relocating some things etc.

So folks know, the topic was using harness power/ground or running a dedicated power/ground for the head unit. My distro is with everything else in trunk so there is a bit of length involved in that.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 12-09-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016   #1003
DIYMA 500 Club

Shop Ratt

12V Company:
Hybrid Audio/ Audiotec Fischer USA
Position:
Logistics Manager

Rep Power: 60 BlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Well yeah.

Funny I hadn't seen so many CD users still hanging on until I started attending the meets. Car audio guys still waving around optical donuts.

Denon DCT-1 / Denon DSV-1
Helix DSP PRO MKII
Brax MX4 >> Left channel L1ProR2, L3SE, L8SE
Brax MX4 >> Right channel L1ProR2, L3SE, L8SE
Brax MX2 >> C15SW-D2
BlackHHR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016   #1004
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 173 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

ROFL!

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 12-09-2016   #1005
DIYMA 500 Club

Shop Ratt

12V Company:
Position:
Logistics Manager

Rep Power: 60 BlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why? Is there an established thing for these head units or something? I ran the 80PRS no issues on harness power/ground. I'm totally indifferent on either side of that topic so completely open minded. I can easily run a 16x2 from the distro blocks in trunk, since there's stuff I'd like to do while the carpet is up relocating some things etc.

So folks know, the topic was using harness power/ground or running a dedicated power/ground for the head unit. My distro is with everything else in trunk so there is a bit of length involved in that.
Scott, I ran my power, ground and acc from the harness in the HHR with the P99. As you saw for yourself at finals, it played like a champ.

Great deck for what it is.

Helix DSP PRO MKII
Brax MX2 >> C15SW-D2
Old 12-09-2016   #1006
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHHR View Post
Scott, I ran my power, ground and acc from the harness in the HHR with the P99. As you saw for yourself at finals, it played like a champ.

Great deck for what it is.
It did alright I guess. Even just running lowly CD's.

Build Log
Old 12-09-2016   #1007
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

So what is that bulbous goodie on the yellow Power run anyway?

Build Log
Old 12-09-2016   #1008
DIYMA 500 Club

Shop Ratt

12V Company:
Position:
Logistics Manager

Quote:
So what is that bulbous goodie on the yellow Power run anyway?
I think it is a coil of some sort. Not sure since I have not cracked one open.

Helix DSP PRO MKII
Brax MX2 >> C15SW-D2
Old 12-10-2016   #1009
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 45 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Or some folks are crazy enough to swap decks back and forth every week to have a different head unit and take the time to learn the difference :\
Yeah it's a tiny minute difference that is hard to put into words and putting sinewaves into them achieving the same insane results. I mean , a 69$ 280bt has a flat frequency responce. (If that's all you want) .....lmao but whatever, to each there own I do reckon as well.
0.02c
Im not how much sarcasm is in that sentence

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016   #1010
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

She's in. Sounds like a stereo.
Big question is better than the 80PRS? I think so. Fidelity seems better, fine details seem a bit smoother with less graininess. The output is definitely better, stage and image more detailed deeper. Less veiled. A tad warmer. Had to back off a smidge in the sub and midbass department. I attribute that to hotter preamp. I'll need to reevaluate the tune for tonality. Take that for what it's worth and might be "upgrade bias", but I'm really digging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Build Log
Old 12-11-2016   #1011
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 73 Beckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Big question is better than the 80PRS? I think so. Fidelity seems better, fine details seem a bit smoother with less graininess. The output is definitely better, stage and image more detailed deeper. Less veiled. A tad warmer. Had to back off a smidge in the sub and midbass department. I attribute that to hotter preamp. I'll need to reevaluate the tune for tonality. Take that for what it's worth and might be "upgrade bias", but I'm really digging it.

Bias or not as long as you're happy with the new addition.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

-Ronald Reagan-
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016   #1012
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Bias or not as long as you're happy with the new addition.

I'm hearing stuff I didn't notice before. Since I'm running through a Helix DSP tune I already dialed in it's a decent comparison to what I had before with the 80PRS so I can assess it based on the same tune at least. I believe it's definitely an upgrade. I'd say the 99RS and Sony GS9 are the two best 1-dins currently available if you're running external DSP.

Build Log
Old 12-11-2016   #1013
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

For at least something objective I can confirm no issues with an iPhone 6 via USB.

Build Log
Old 12-12-2016   #1014
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:
Install Manager/ Goofball

Rep Power: 57 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I couldn't put it into words like that, that about exactly what I felt about it too.

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016   #1015
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
I'm hearing stuff I didn't notice before. Since I'm running through a Helix DSP tune I already dialed in it's a decent comparison to what I had before with the 80PRS so I can assess it based on the same tune at least. I believe it's definitely an upgrade. I'd say the 99RS and Sony GS9 are the two best 1-dins currently available if you're running external DSP.
Greg I need that 'crickets' track. LOL!

Build Log
Old 12-14-2016   #1016
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 129 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

Yes sir, tried that. Now i have no lights at all and no sound. The face won't move down on eject or anything. Zero operation. Only a single red LED blinking on the face. I've searched for 2 days and can't come up with anything. Anyone seen this??? I'm going to take it out tonight and grab the DMM and see what i see. Any advice would be stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
Yes, it happened to me recently too. Clean the contacts between the HU and the face. That should do the trick.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016   #1017
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:
Install Manager/ Goofball

Rep Power: 57 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
Yes sir, tried that. Now i have no lights at all and no sound. The face won't move down on eject or anything. Zero operation. Only a single red LED blinking on the face. I've searched for 2 days and can't come up with anything. Anyone seen this??? I'm going to take it out tonight and grab the DMM and see what i see. Any advice would be stellar.
Mine did that too, it eventually started working again and I quit taking the face off at night , the hot/cold kept messing with it .

Since I stopped taking face off it's worked fine

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016   #1018
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 129 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

After some butt puckering disassembly testing, it appears the flex cable has a break in it. Ordered a one and will post my results.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016   #1019
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
After some butt puckering disassembly testing, it appears the flex cable has a break in it. Ordered a one and will post my results.
Aha!!! I was thinking that but didn't want to speculate. Went through two Kenwood top of the line Excelons long ago with that issue. Might not be a bad idea to stock up on those. I'm definitely going to get a spare remote, except damn they're proud of those.

So how nasty of a tear-down was it, or was it just that you were in uncharted territory?

Build Log
Old 12-24-2016   #1020
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 46 percy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enough

Is there anyway to stop the main screen cycling from black to white?? I can't seem to find anything in the manual and it's a PIA at night!! Would rather it just stayed black background with white lettering...

thank's guy's

2014 Fusion, GZNK 165SQ, GZNM 80SQ, Morel MT250, PDX-V9, PDX-F6, RE SEX10V2, P99RS, Helix DSP.
percy072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016   #1021
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 29 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Probably "reverse mode". Should be in settings.

Have to enter those settings with Power off. Hold down .. some button, can't remember.

Function button?

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 x2 sealed, Arc KS600.2, Arc KS900.6, SI TM65v1, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016   #1022
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 46 percy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
Probably "reverse mode". Should be in settings.
Yep...that did it, thankyou!!

2014 Fusion, GZNK 165SQ, GZNM 80SQ, Morel MT250, PDX-V9, PDX-F6, RE SEX10V2, P99RS, Helix DSP.
percy072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016   #1023
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 29 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 x2 sealed, Arc KS600.2, Arc KS900.6, SI TM65v1, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2017   #1024
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mattjk will become famous soon enoughmattjk will become famous soon enoughmattjk will become famous soon enoughmattjk will become famous soon enoughmattjk will become famous soon enoughmattjk will become famous soon enough

How's the built-in DSP? Can you tune it as well as a good external DSP, say an ms-8?
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2017   #1025
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 ross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
How's the built-in DSP? Can you tune it as well as a good external DSP, say an ms-8?
....um yeah ,it's pretty phenomenal for an in dash unit .
ross.cottrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement