DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012   #101
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
I would say try it without the RTA first. A nice RTA curve can sound badly, and still need refinement by ear. So practice by ear. Start by switching off the auto-EQ and EQ to flat, and spend time finding the best crossover points and slopes, then level your drivers to come close to a smooth sound. You'll probably get pretty close with this and be left with a boomy upper midbass- then try some cuts centered around 250 or 300 Hz.

think in terms of slight adjustments- to levels, eq etc. i have gotten so used to my sound that i can tell when the rear speakers channels have been raised or lowered by 1-db.

i think you can do it it just takes time- also (unfortunately) you need to do it while the Car is running and moving- when it's parked you usually get too much bass because there is no noise cancellation. just be careful and keep your eyes on the road too.
Hmm... this seems danagerous. lol
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012   #102
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
DO NOT try to EQ over the autotune's EQ settings.
Indeed... In fact, avoid using the auto settings at all (You never know what it does really, might boost 12dB at some dip caused by a mode lol?)

The harshness might very well have come from EQ boosts that clips the amp at certain frequencies, causing odd order harmonics (these sound nasty/harsh)

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012   #103

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough

When I was playing with auto eq and manual eq...

With auto eq ON, I change to memories (all flat presets) and there's a tonal change...
then nothing changes when I put auto eq to OFF while in all the flat presets...So are you sure auto eq is in effect when I use the manual eq?

DEX-P99RS (Hi/Mid)->PRS-A900->Dynaudio MD102/MW160GT
Sub->Alpine MRD-M300->Dynaudio MW190
82801BA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012   #104
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

I read a lot about the "crappy" auto tune, and I have mixed opinions of it. With my crossover points, it is the actual definition of "meh". When I let it do the preset crossover points, all that changes and I get a huge stage with really nice results. With this, I would actually say it does a pretty decent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012   #105
DIYMA 500 Club

For fast moving Concerts

12V Company:
LBaudio
Position:
Founder/Owner

Rep Power: 108 LBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enoughLBaudio will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, no algorithm built into "auto tune" function cant rival human ear, also all this functions are microphone placement and mic quality related, so imho you wont get your system to sound best as it could this way.

switch off all auto settings, defeat all eq settings, time delay set to zero. First use RTA to set your xovers, levels and phase relations between drivers correct as much as you can. Shoot for smooth RtA curve with aproximately 20 dB fall from 20Hz to 20000Hz. Big Dips or peaks try to correct with xo settings. After that make adjustments on Eq to smooth curve even more. Set TA for desired seating position - you can find a lot of precious info and how too's about this subject of tuning here on this forum. Readjust EQ if needed.....now you should have pretty good starting point to fine tune your system by ear .... probably only small corrections will be needed here and there to achive sound you are after. When correctly set, all geners of music should sound good and correct. I suggest that you switch to active, so you will have more options regarding fine tune your system.

good luck with tuning

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012   #106

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough

Mine should be here in about 12 hours depending on if USPS comes at their usual time. Want to hear a real bummer? I was looking at some previous sales of the ebay seller and I saw he sold 2 other units of this product within the past year and he accepted $750 and $800 from the "best offer" feature. That very feature was an option which I didn't try out of fear of someone else buying it first. God dammit -_- if shipping wasn't so annoying I could just return it, and buy it under a different name . (But whats done is done I suppose)
Krieger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82801BA View Post
When I was playing with auto eq and manual eq...

With auto eq ON, I change to memories (all flat presets) and there's a tonal change...
then nothing changes when I put auto eq to OFF while in all the flat presets...So are you sure auto eq is in effect when I use the manual eq?
auto eq is active on my deck when I do custom eq tuning. running my custom curve if I switch auto eq on, big change in sound.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012   #108

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough

Sooo I got my p99rs today and will be installing it tomorrow. How exactly do you connect things if you are running passive fronts, rear and sub? (obviously sub goes to the sub amp.) I'll go active if I really must (as I have no problem with it) BUT I'm not giving up rear-fill as it does make a difference to me..
Old 09-24-2012   #109

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough

Mid to Front and Low to Rear. Mid MUST be connected at all time and all others are just optional and can be turned off. I remeber the manual has some examples.

Old 09-25-2012   #110

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Mid to Front and Low to Rear. Mid MUST be connected at all time and all others are just optional and can be turned off. I remeber the manual has some examples.
So I leave the highs rca outputs unused then?
Old 09-25-2012   #111

DIYMA freshman

Correct. High is only for tweeter (and tweeter should only be used on that channel). I think the high pass cannot be defeated on that channel. In addition, the manual says that 10kHz+ will be played through that channel during auto TA/EQ. So anything connected to that channel other than a tweeter will not likely function properly. Similarly, putting tweeter in mid/low will likely destroy your tweeter during auto tune. The installation manual says so, so don't ask me why.

Old 09-25-2012   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I read a lot about the "crappy" auto tune, and I have mixed opinions of it. With my crossover points, it is the actual definition of "meh". When I let it do the preset crossover points, all that changes and I get a huge stage with really nice results. With this, I would actually say it does a pretty decent job.
no kidding, I always thought the auto network picked weird crossover points and wound up sounding worse than when you picked them first. sounds like it's worth a try though, thanks.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
Old 09-26-2012   #113

DIYMA freshman

Despite having my rear connected to the low rca they don't seem to be on. And i keep getting a bandpass error when i try to run auto eq too. :s
Old 09-26-2012   #114
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger88 View Post
Despite having my rear connected to the low rca they don't seem to be on. And i keep getting a bandpass error when i try to run auto eq too. :s
try turning them on- here's how:
Initial Settings-
Function display
Shows the function status.
1 Press SRC/Off and hold until the unit
turns off.
2 Press MULTI-CONTROL and hold until
the initial setting menu appears in the display.
3 Turn MULTI-CONTROL to select one of
the initial settings.
Turn MULTI-CONTROL to switch between the...

Setting the speakers
You need to set the speakers used with this
system.
When this setting is performed correctly, this
unit reproduces high definition sound suited
to your system.
! You cannot change the middle range
speaker setting. (The middle range speaker
is always on.)
! If this setting is adjusted after performing
auto time alignment and auto equalizing
function, perform auto time alignment and
auto equalizing again.
1 Use MULTI-CONTROL to select
SP connection in the initial setting menu.
Refer to Adjusting initial settings on this page.
2 Push MULTI-CONTROL left or right to
select the Speaker to be adjusted.
Each time MULTI-CONTROL is pushed left or
right, the Speaker is selected in the following
order:
Subwoofer (subwoofer) Low range (low
range speaker) High range (high range
speaker)
3 Press MULTI-CONTROL to turn the selected
speaker on.
# To turn off, press MULTI-CONTROL again.

Old 09-26-2012   #115

DIYMA freshman

If you're speaking about the setting screen where it shows sp connection with high, low and sub then i have high off and the rest on but it doesnt seem to fix my issue. Also when i did auto eq a few mins ago now i get a error: subwoofer
Old 09-26-2012   #116

DIYMA freshman

Just reset audio data now its back at error: low band.
Edit: turned low rca off and tried the auto eq and it went through. Idk why the low aren't working.

Last edited by Krieger88; 09-26-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Old 09-26-2012   #117

DIYMA freshman

If I end up having to sell my rears (morel integra ovation 5.25 coaxials) then I'm going to sell my fronts (rainbow vanadiums 6.5" 2-way) And I'd probably get something REALLY REALLY nice for the fronts. But I'd like to figure out how to get my current setup running first..
Old 09-27-2012   #118

DIYMA freshman

Do you bandpass your rear speakers? Can you post your settings?

And do you lower the gain on the amplifier on the rear channels?

Old 09-28-2012   #119

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Do you bandpass your rear speakers? Can you post your settings?

And do you lower the gain on the amplifier on the rear channels?
I don't think so.
I think there's a problem with the wires or speakers because I reversed the rcas (rears to the mid channeL) and it still wouldn't work. I'm going to my audio installer (for more detailed projects than swapping a headunit) to see if he can figure the problem out.

Idk if he set eq's by ear or with equipment( I've only seen him do it by ear.) but I really want to set this thing the best I can. Besides the Dayton Mic the Original Poster mentioned a few pages ago, what else is needed?
Old 09-29-2012   #120
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

kreiger-
this is my setup for running RTA-

True RTA (i have the 1/6 octave version, the 1/24th is better though)
TrueRTA audio Spectrum Analyzer Software

microphone and cables:
Amazon.com: Dayton audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT8314-6 Premium 6' Balanced Microphone Cable with 3-Pin XLR Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Connector: Camera & Photo
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01

mic Power supply-
Sterling Audio PHP1 48V Phantom Power Supply | GuitarCenter

good luck.

Old 09-30-2012   #121

DIYMA freshman

I have narrowed my problem down to that it has to be a Wire I disconnected while removing my previous head unit. I've reversed the rcas, and tonight i reversed the Speaker wires in to the amp.

I FINALLY fiddled enough with the setting to where it sounds comparable to my previous setups best.

I was thinking about selling my rear speakers and getting some midranges but then I got Speaker fever and now I want to try out some hertz hsk 165's :S

It's cool trying out speakers and shit but god damn is it an expensive hobby/interest :[

Rainbow Vanadiums may or may not end up on sale soon haha
Old 10-02-2012   #122

DIYMA freshman

Okay so my problem is solved and the rears are up and running. I will probably end up selling them sometime soon for some midrange speakers and get some custom a-pillar pods made for relocating the tweets and mounting the midranges.
Old 10-21-2012   #123
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 s4k4zulu will become famous soon enoughs4k4zulu will become famous soon enoughs4k4zulu will become famous soon enoughs4k4zulu will become famous soon enoughs4k4zulu will become famous soon enoughs4k4zulu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger88 View Post
Mine should be here in about 12 hours depending on if USPS comes at their usual time. Want to hear a real bummer? I was looking at some previous sales of the ebay seller and I saw he sold 2 other units of this product within the past year and he accepted $750 and $800 from the "best offer" feature. That very feature was an option which I didn't try out of fear of someone else buying it first. God dammit -_- if shipping wasn't so annoying I could just return it, and buy it under a different name . (But whats done is done I suppose)
If u have any info of the seller.
Been lookin on the bay but nothing listed.

ipad3-p99rs/krx3/4200se(X2)/8W3
s4k4zulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012   #124

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4k4zulu View Post
If u have any info of the seller.
Been lookin on the bay but nothing listed.
Message this guy to see if he's got anything eBay My World - ehoff12179 .

On a separate note, my installer is starting my project this week with modifying my door panels to have door pods to house my front stage in better locations and also to have spots for my 4" midranges I purchased. Going to have he doors deadened also. And lastly will be going active. Apparently the door modifications will take a while due to having to wait for things to dry and set.
Old 10-22-2012   #125

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 FunkPnut will become famous soon enoughFunkPnut will become famous soon enoughFunkPnut will become famous soon enoughFunkPnut will become famous soon enoughFunkPnut will become famous soon enoughFunkPnut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I found that if upper midrange (2-4kHz) is bright I would use a gap, 1.6k@6 and 4k@12, between mid and tweeter (I have tweeter on pillar), to smooth out the upper midrange.
I was just happening to re-tune my Car last week by playing with crossover points and tried something very similar to this (2 kHz @ 18 db / 4 kHz @ 18db )... sounded surprisingly good!

2014 Honda Accord Sport MT | Audio Build Log:
Alpine CDE-HD149BT • PDX F4 • F6 • M12 • Helix DSP
AudioFrog GB10 • GB25 • GB60 • IDMAX15 (IB)
FunkPnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement