DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012   #151
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Wesayso's Avatar
 
When the music's over
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 1,256

Rep Power: 94 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
1 is a store bought cd and the others are burned. They are scratched but the pioneer being high end should play them as good as the alpine of the same caliber. Dont you think?
Only if the burned CD's are high end too . What I said, there is a big difference between junk CD-r and better types. I would'n blame the Pioneer.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2012   #152
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Lets put the quailty of discs to the side. The 9965 plays them all the p99 doesn't. This leads me to believe the Alpines CD internals are better?
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012   #153
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Yes and no. The F1 Status can also play DVD audio the 9965 cannot.
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012   #154
DIYMA 500 Club
 
IBcivic's Avatar
 
Back Yard Installer
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: At Home...EH?
Age: 50
Posts: 4,292

Rep Power: 148 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice


iTrader: (55)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
Yes and no. The F1 Status can also play DVD audio the 9965 cannot.
Wrong!
Hint DVA****= dvd player(also plays DVA format)..CDA****= cd player

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012   #155
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Wesayso's Avatar
 
When the music's over
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 1,256

Rep Power: 94 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
Lets put the quailty of discs to the side. The 9965 plays them all the p99 doesn't. This leads me to believe the Alpines CD internals are better?
I wouldn't rate a CD player on it's abillity to read scratched disks. I wouldn't rate my own vision by looking through a scratched window.

Now if it would skip on bumpy roads, that would bother me.

I'd replace the scratched burned disks, but if you want to replace the P99, you're free to do it of coarse.
As I said, my current Pioneer P88 RSII reads my burned disks from the early 90's but they are good quality and don't scratch easy. They don't skip, even on a bumpy road. I'd rate my suspension as pretty stiff. The disks claimed a lifetime warranty and live up to it. In all fairness, I've only used the CD player in the first year.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.

Last edited by Wesayso; 11-11-2012 at 03:35 AM..
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012   #156
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
Wrong!
Hint DVA****= dvd player(also plays DVA format)..CDA****= cd player
It's plays DVD, yes but there is a big differance between DVD with audio and DVD audio DVD playback. F1 Status DVI 9990 plays DVD AUDIO the DVA 9965 plays DVD VIDEO with Audio playback.
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012   #157
DIYMA 500 Club
 
IBcivic's Avatar
 
Back Yard Installer
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: At Home...EH?
Age: 50
Posts: 4,292

Rep Power: 148 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice


iTrader: (55)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
It's plays DVD, yes but there is a big differance between DVD with audio and DVD audio DVD playback. F1 Status DVI 9990 plays DVD AUDIO the DVA 9965 plays DVD VIDEO with Audio playback.
You are correct, sir...my apologies

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012   #158
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post
I wouldn't rate a CD player on it's abillity to read scratched disks. I wouldn't rate my own vision by looking through a scratched window.

Now if it would skip on bumpy roads, that would bother me.

I'd replace the scratched burned disks, but if you want to replace the P99, you're free to do it of coarse.
As I said, my current Pioneer P88 RSII reads my burned disks from the early 90's but they are good quality and don't scratch easy. They don't skip, even on a bumpy road. I'd rate my suspension as pretty stiff. The disks claimed a lifetime warranty and live up to it. In all fairness, I've only used the CD player in the first year.
You do make good points. I still beleive the Alpine reads the CDs better than the Pioneer but I guess there is nothing wrong with my particular unit so I'll keep this one. The sound is amazing. I probably will hardly use the CD section but wanted to make sure it was perfect anyway. So what way do you guys use the USB for the best sound quality and to take full advantage of this decks capabilities? WAV? Let me know. Thanks again
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012   #159
DIYMA 500 Club
 
DIYMA Addict
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 4,690

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (0)



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
You do make good points. I still beleive the Alpine reads the CDs better than the Pioneer but I guess there is nothing wrong with my particular unit so I'll keep this one. The sound is amazing. I probably will hardly use the CD section but wanted to make sure it was perfect anyway. So what way do you guys use the USB for the best sound quality and to take full advantage of this decks capabilities? WAV? Let me know. Thanks again
Mp3 encoded with lame vbr v2-v0 is practically equal to cd-quality. Wav/flac is overkill and there's no audible difference imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012   #160
 
DIYMA Novice
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amherst, Nova Scotia
Posts: 312

Rep Power: 103 jstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the rough


iTrader: (0)



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospet40 View Post
You do make good points. I still beleive the Alpine reads the CDs better than the Pioneer but I guess there is nothing wrong with my particular unit so I'll keep this one. The sound is amazing. I probably will hardly use the CD section but wanted to make sure it was perfect anyway. So what way do you guys use the USB for the best sound quality and to take full advantage of this decks capabilities? WAV? Let me know. Thanks again
ALAC played through ipod classic.

The ipod interface on the pioneer is stellar
Also you won't get any higher quality than that.
jstoner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012   #161
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoner22 View Post
ALAC played through ipod classic.

The ipod interface on the pioneer is stellar
Also you won't get any higher quality than that.
I'm not into the Ipod stuff. And I didn't buy this high end unit to play MP3s either. I would think WAV is the way to go.
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #162
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Update 11/17/12

After owning the DEX for 9 months I did something with it today that I had never done before- ran an autotune with automatic network. Why did I do it? Well here are some answers-

1) After 9 months I am still adjusting everything on the fly- tonality, levels, crossovers, time alignment, etc. and I am tired of it. I have a very nice sounding tune and stage- but it does not work for all music- and when I adjust for one (e.g. a bass heavy recordig) everything else sounds poor and vice versa. I want to run the DEX version of a nice tune and commit to it for a while. I am hoping for a nice sweet spot.
2) I read somewhere that the auto network autotune can actually sound better than a custom network tune. Since I had done many custom network autotones and was never happy, i decided to give the auto network autotune a try.
3) Since first installing it last February, I have upgraded every driver in my Car to the point where I am satisfied with their quality- and have upgraded the door sealing and deadening as well.
4) I have a hunch that the autotune can generate a more refined EQ than the 31 band graphic can- that it may be continuously variable for for frequency and Q- such that it may smooth out some bass "valleys" in my RTA plots as well as eliminate the touchy midbass resonance I experience from time to time.
5) I just felt like it.

So how are the results? In a word bizarre but very pleasing. I definitely got rid of the midbass resonance issue. The bass is less powerful but the tones sound like tones- very realistic- . the midrange is more up front and dominant but with my new drivers there is a very pleasing clarity and tonality that I did not have before. again, a realism. the image and time alignment are not perfect but so far a little better than my best efforts.
now for the bizarre part- the crossovers and slopes. lets just say that i (nor likely anyone else) would have ever picked some of these crossover points. it plays my HAT midbass all the way to 8Khz and crosses my L3SE midrange at 8K as well- but with a shallow 12db slope. very bizarre. it crossed my sub at 63Hz but with a very shallow 12 db slope.
I played a variety of music and every song sounded good, some very good, and i will continue running this way for a while.
I sure hope i am through ghucking around with it for a while.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #163
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 164

Rep Power: 95 82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default

I remember the days when I have the Dyn 100/140/2/160GT setup in my old car, my xo was 63/1600/8000. I now drop the 140/2 due to space, run auto, still 63/8000...

Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

DEX-P99RS (Hi/Mid)->PRS-A900->Dynaudio MD102/MW160GT
Sub->Alpine MRD-M300->Dynaudio MW190
82801BA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #164
DIYMA 500 Club
 
DIYMA Addict
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 4,690

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (0)



Default

Autotune does nothing that you can't do yourself. Pioneer tech support said that two years ago when I asked that very same question. My conclusion is that both auto TA and EQ suck in 4-way mode. The EQ was horrible in my car. It EQed the crap out of my mids and everything sounded muddy. Some had luck with it, others didn't. Personally, I haven't heard any auto function that manages to EQ right so far. Alpines imprint was good at TA but the EQ was horrible there too.

EQ from measurements are quite easy nowadays. Doesn't take more than a hour or so with a dual 31b GEQ. Apps like RoomEQ makes it user friendly and quick to measure and interpret the data.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #165
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA NY
Posts: 19

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Update 11/17/12

After owning the DEX for 9 months I did something with it today that I had never done before- ran an autotune with automatic network. Why did I do it? Well here are some answers-

1) After 9 months I am still adjusting everything on the fly- tonality, levels, crossovers, time alignment, etc. and I am tired of it. I have a very nice sounding tune and stage- but it does not work for all music- and when I adjust for one (e.g. a bass heavy recordig) everything else sounds poor and vice versa. I want to run the DEX version of a nice tune and commit to it for a while. I am hoping for a nice sweet spot.
2) I read somewhere that the auto network autotune can actually sound better than a custom network tune. Since I had done many custom network autotones and was never happy, i decided to give the auto network autotune a try.
3) Since first installing it last February, I have upgraded every driver in my Car to the point where I am satisfied with their quality- and have upgraded the door sealing and deadening as well.
4) I have a hunch that the autotune can generate a more refined EQ than the 31 band graphic can- that it may be continuously variable for for frequency and Q- such that it may smooth out some bass "valleys" in my RTA plots as well as eliminate the touchy midbass resonance I experience from time to time.
5) I just felt like it.

So how are the results? In a word bizarre but very pleasing. I definitely got rid of the midbass resonance issue. The bass is less powerful but the tones sound like tones- very realistic- . the midrange is more up front and dominant but with my new drivers there is a very pleasing clarity and tonality that I did not have before. again, a realism. the image and time alignment are not perfect but so far a little better than my best efforts.
now for the bizarre part- the crossovers and slopes. lets just say that i (nor likely anyone else) would have ever picked some of these crossover points. it plays my HAT midbass all the way to 8Khz and crosses my L3SE midrange at 8K as well- but with a shallow 12db slope. very bizarre. it crossed my sub at 63Hz but with a very shallow 12 db slope.
I played a variety of music and every song sounded good, some very good, and i will continue running this way for a while.
I sure hope i am through ghucking around with it for a while.
I don't know about your system buy mine sounds like a concert hall on wheels. It's not the deck, I have the same one. But I also have a $20,000 set up. This deck is as good as my F1 status I had although not quality wise but sounds just as good.
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012   #166
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Autotune does nothing that you can't do yourself. Pioneer tech support said that two years ago when I asked that very same question. My conclusion is that both auto TA and EQ suck in 4-way mode. The EQ was horrible in my car. It EQed the crap out of my mids and everything sounded muddy. Some had luck with it, others didn't. Personally, I haven't heard any auto function that manages to EQ right so far. Alpines imprint was good at TA but the EQ was horrible there too.

EQ from measurements are quite easy nowadays. Doesn't take more than a hour or so with a dual 31b GEQ. Apps like RoomEQ makes it user friendly and quick to measure and interpret the data.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.
I don't disagree with you but for some reason (for me) the RTA does not tell a very complete picture with respect to sound quality. In other words the sound can be very different yet the RTA 6 position averages will only reveal slight changes to the curve depending on EQ settings. I can manhandle certain bands of the EQ and sometimes it does not even show up on the RTA for some reason yet the sound you hear is much different.
-
The autotune I ran was not acceptable because my rear passives (on the low channel) were interpreted to be the woofers and band passed them from 63 Hz to 1600 Hz. My front midbass drivers were interpreted to be the midrange, so my front speakers were only playing from 1600 Hz and up! HOWEVER, there was something very different and pleasing about the sound. The vocals and midrange came forward and up in the mix. they were too buried before.
So I measured the response with an RTA (very flat BTW with a gradual downward trend through the octaves). Then I revised the crossovers to something more approproiate for my setup, adjusted levels to get close to the curve, then did some additional EQ cuts and now I have somewhat mimicked the autotune curve but with all speakers playing their appropriate frequency ranges. After one CD i am encouraged by the results. The midrange vocal clarity is improved tremendously. The T/A image is also very good. Bass may be a little thin- but this is a new shift for my preferences and a reset in sound quality. We'll see how it goes.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012   #167
DIYMA 500 Club
 
DIYMA Addict
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 4,690

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
I don't disagree with you but for some reason (for me) the RTA does not tell a very complete picture with respect to sound quality. In other words the sound can be very different yet the RTA 6 position averages will only reveal slight changes to the curve depending on EQ settings. I can manhandle certain bands of the EQ and sometimes it does not even show up on the RTA for some reason yet the sound you hear is much different.
-
The autotune I ran was not acceptable because my rear passives (on the low channel) were interpreted to be the woofers and band passed them from 63 Hz to 1600 Hz. My front midbass drivers were interpreted to be the midrange, so my front speakers were only playing from 1600 Hz and up! HOWEVER, there was something very different and pleasing about the sound. The vocals and midrange came forward and up in the mix. they were too buried before.
So I measured the response with an RTA (very flat BTW with a gradual downward trend through the octaves). Then I revised the crossovers to something more approproiate for my setup, adjusted levels to get close to the curve, then did some additional EQ cuts and now I have somewhat mimicked the autotune curve but with all speakers playing their appropriate frequency ranges. After one CD i am encouraged by the results. The midrange vocal clarity is improved tremendously. The T/A image is also very good. Bass may be a little thin- but this is a new shift for my preferences and a reset in sound quality. We'll see how it goes.
The autotune does not average anything at the listening position. It's pretty inaccurate in setting a equal EQ left-right.

63/1600/8000 is a standard crossover setting in the P99. The drivers should be used in their optimal reproduction range. It's individual to each driver, placement and listening angle. Vocal clarity... if you're talking about female vocals, you have a problem with the upper midrange. I'm guessing here, but did you cross around 2,5-4kHz before? If you did then you could have some driver out of phase, RTA might not register that as a dip but rather as ripple when measuring. It's not rocket science, either the issue is in the time domain or frequency domain. Eliminate frequency issues with measurements and you know what to address.

I can re-set my DSP settings 10 times but I always end up with a similar result since I'm following the same procedure every time. This how I did it on the P99, works every time

1. Set crossovers based on frequency response at the target location. Measure each driver separately fullrange, (not the tweeter though) and see how they perform. Frequency domain is most important, but you can measure HD as well with aRTA for example to get the most of your drivers)

2. Set polarity between drivers (0/180 phase inv) Easy to hear what sounds best, possible to measure as well with the initial peak in impulse response, which is what auto tune does btw.

3. Set T/A

4. Set L-R EQ (Keep within 1dB if much as possible above 1,5kHz), below 1kHz it's not that critical since we're in ITD domain now.

With individual EQ DSPs (EQ on each driver) I use to EQ first off instead. Takes about a hour or so, you're using the AUX input on the front panel via a laptop right? Much better than using a CD with PN.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012   #168
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Hanatsu, thanks for the info. Comments and questions below-

Quote- "The autotune does not average anything at the listening position. It's pretty inaccurate in setting a equal EQ left-right"

Agreed. My comments meant that for me it is difficult to fine tune a correlation between an RTA plot and actual sound perceived by the ear. I measure with the 6-position average method. I can make drastic changes in the EQ, driver levels and crossovers and it will greatly affect how it sounds to the ear- but shows up as minor deviations on an RTA curve.

Quote- "63/1600/8000 is a standard crossover setting in the P99. The drivers should be used in their optimal reproduction range. It's individual to each driver, placement and listening angle. Vocal clarity... if you're talking about female vocals, you have a problem with the upper midrange. I'm guessing here, but did you cross around 2,5-4kHz before? If you did then you could have some driver out of phase, RTA might not register that as a dip but rather as ripple when measuring. It's not rocket science, either the issue is in the time domain or frequency domain. Eliminate frequency issues with measurements and you know what to address."

Thank goodness it isn't rocket science because the last rocket i designed wound up in the lake.
Why does the P99 pick 12db slopes across the board? Something about this sounds good. For some reason, the slope picked for the sub and midbass has a keen effect on the midrange and high frequencies too- I don't understand it. In other words the current 12db slope (sub crossed at 63, midbass crossed at 80) sounds very good overall- but when I switch to 80 / 80 each at 36db, the bass improves and tightens up- but the midrange and high frequencies are also impacted somehow- they do not sound as good. I don't get it.

The other topic is the crossover point between midbass and midrange. If you have good drivers, you can pick a crossover point somewhere between 200 Hz and 6000 Hz for example. this becomes the dividing frequency of the door mounted system- above this frequency the upper door drivers take over, below it and the lower door midbass takes over. It seems like this decision needs to be made carefully and that there is more in play other than the driver's optimal reproduction range.
My previous crossover point was 800Hz 12/18 db. I seemed to have lots of issues with reflections and image shifting with the upper door drivers playing 800Hz and up.
I currently have it set to 5000Hz, tweeter crossed at 8Khz. 5000 Hz may seem like a waste of a midrange driver but it seems to sound better this way for some reason that I do not fully understand. Picking the right "dividing" frequency for lower and upper door drivers seems to be very critical.

Quote- "I can re-set my DSP settings 10 times but I always end up with a similar result since I'm following the same procedure every time. This how I did it on the P99, works every time

1. Set crossovers based on frequency response at the target location. Measure each driver separately fullrange, (not the tweeter though) and see how they perform. Frequency domain is most important, but you can measure HD as well with aRTA for example to get the most of your drivers)

2. Set polarity between drivers (0/180 phase inv) Easy to hear what sounds best, possible to measure as well with the initial peak in impulse response, which is what auto tune does btw.

3. Set T/A

4. Set L-R EQ (Keep within 1dB if much as possible above 1,5kHz), below 1kHz it's not that critical since we're in ITD domain now.

With individual EQ DSPs (EQ on each driver) I use to EQ first off instead. Takes about a hour or so, you're using the AUX input on the front panel via a laptop right? Much better than using a CD with PN."

It sounds like you have developed a nice system to achieve a tune that you like. When you measure each driver individually at the listening position, I assume you are looking to determine the range with the flattest response and set crossovers accordingly.
I'm guessing if you do this, you could have different crossovers for the right and left side drivers?
Polarity is something I just leave alone- unless it's for a distant driver like the subwoofer.
L-R EQ I have had some success with and I plan on refining the image with this step.
Are you talking about the pink noise generator in the RTA software? Why is this better than a pink noise CD?

Interesting discussion, thanks.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012   #169
DIYMA 500 Club
 
DIYMA Addict
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 4,690

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (0)



Default

I never use steeper slopes than 24dB/oct fyi. The reason it sounds different is that there are less interaction between the drivers with a 36dB slope. You pulling energy away faster from the driver below/above the crossover point. With 12dB slopes you'll have a 180deg phase shift at xover, which creates a major dip in frequency response if left uncorrected. 12 and 24dB slopes are good cause they are easy to correct for and integrate right.
Steeper slopes than 24dB is pretty meaningless imo.

I use different crossovers each side. As long as you attain equal amplitude each side, it's a good way to perform some "pre-eq".

If some drivers are out of phase it will affect a large part of the staging (midrange). Might not show up on a RTA. I suggest to play around with polarity as well. My midranges are phase inverted vs the other drivers, sounded best in my system. Do it before TA.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -

Last edited by Hanatsu; 11-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Typo...
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012   #170
DIYMA 500 Club
 
DIYMA Addict
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 4,690

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute


iTrader: (0)



Default

And pink noise is not always the same. There are mono/stereo types. Uncorrelated/correlated noise. Try the aux input and do a MLS sweep in aRTA. Do the result look the same as the RTA?

By simulating the auto EQ method you can gain some understanding how it measures compared to the averaged RTA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012   #171
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NE PA
Posts: 228

Rep Power: 57 MB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

New guy here. Want to know if you can use this deck in a 2-way and sub Active set up?
MB2008LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012   #172
DIYMA 500 Club
 
narvarr's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 797

Rep Power: 107 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

iTrader: (31)



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2008LTZ View Post
New guy here. Want to know if you can use this deck in a 2-way and sub Active set up?
Yep! Just go into the menu section and turn off the high outputs and use the mid output for your tweeters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012   #173
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Medford, Ny
Posts: 123

Rep Power: 61 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (8)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

I hope my installer either finishes my door-pod project Saturday or next Wednesday so I have my speakers back and then I can go 3-way and active. Then I'll have to diddle the tuning for the next 9999years.
Krieger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012   #174
DIYMA 500 Club
 
WestCo's Avatar
 
DIYMA Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,317


Rep Power: 69 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (25)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Has anyone figured out at what volume the p99rs clips at. I think I can start to hear some distortion around 57. Right now I usually run the deck at 51 or so.
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012   #175
DIYMA 500 Club
 
narvarr's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rowlett, TX
Posts: 797

Rep Power: 107 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

iTrader: (31)



Default

The P99RS does not clip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First name
Last name
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Youtube Channel
Enter Your Youtube Username, And It will Be Linked To In Your Posts!
12V Industry - Company Name
Your company name.
12V Industry - Your Position
Your position in your company.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Ad Management by RedTyger

Home | User CP | Members List | New Posts | ITrader | Faq | Post Spy