Acoustic Elegance SBP15-4 review - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 199 captainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to all

Default Re: Acoustic Elegance SBP15-4 review

One may be making its way into my hatch too (sitting in its box still in the closet)...That is, if I dont drop an 18 in there instead

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 165 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

I guess this kind of belongs here since we talked about the pillows and other potential acoustic treatments in the trunk.

I just finished redoing my amp setup. I had an HD600/4 and a 900/5 under the driver and passenger seats. I replaced the 900/5 with another 600/4 and installed my oooooold Infinity Digital 300 in the trunk for sub duty. Essentially doubling power on my midbass and subs and more headroom for the tweeters and mids. This old amp seems to have a non defeatable subsonic filter but that's not important now.

With these changes I expected to have to level match a bit, obviously. Once I got it up and running the subs sounded terrible. I checked the lowpass because it sounded like there was a lot of 60-100+hz material getting through. It sounded awful. The highpass was still 50hz/12db just like before. To get it to sound halfway decent I had to bump up the slope and even then it didn't have the same quickness and tightness it had before, it sounded sloppy.

I was about to start playing with EQ thinking the amp had some sort of internal EQ making it sound like this until I saw the pillows sitting on the garage floor. I had forgotten to put them back in. So I put them back in thinking there's no way they're going to make the kind of difference I need to sound decent again. But to my surprise it was a night and day difference, back to how it was before the amp swap and before the pillows were removed.

I don't remember it making this much of a difference the first time when I added the pillows but I noticed a large difference when the pillows were forgotten.

I know this isn't scientific but I'm still surprised how much of a difference pillows can make and I'm guessing it's the backwave reflection making it's way back through the cone.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #78
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 282 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Standing waves...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013   #79
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 252 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I don't think pillows would do much for standing waves in the subbass.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #80
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 282 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
I don't think pillows would do much for standing waves in the subbass.
:shrugs:

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #81
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 252 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I'm not saying it wouldn't...or would.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 165 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

The most noticeable improvement is in the upper sub frequencies. The lower bass does sound richer and possibly louder but that could be from the upper bass sounding better and a lot of "noise" eliminated. It's a huuuuge difference.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 06-16-2013   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 152 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
The most noticeable improvement is in the upper sub frequencies. The lower bass does sound richer and possibly louder but that could be from the upper bass sounding better and a lot of "noise" eliminated. It's a huuuuge difference.
You have me curious enough to go to Walmart & buy a couple pillows to check this out. Hope I have as good as results as you've had. I will report back.

Actually, I think I'll put a couple towards the rear like you mentioned, & stuff a few smaller ones into the void areas above the rear tire wells.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
You have me curious enough to go to Walmart & buy a couple pillows to check this out. Hope I have as good as results as you've had. I will report back.

Actually, I think I'll put a couple towards the rear like you mentioned, & stuff a few smaller ones into the void areas above the rear tire wells.
Looking forward to your results. For what its worth I have the pillows right behind the subs.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 07-09-2013   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 152 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post

I just happened to have to buy a couple Queen sized pillows while on vacation a few weeks ago, & left them in my trunk after I got back. I did notice (no measurements taken) a very slight boost in the very low end (liked), but they also sounded too punchy in the upper bass frequencies (didn't like) with a 50hz 24db/octave low-pass. These don't need any help playing up above there, so I took them out for now.

I also tried them directly in front of the cones & back by the taillights... preferred further away by the taillights.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
Old 07-09-2013   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Schizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enough

Thought about changing the xover point a tad or giving it a steeper slope to see if it smoothes out the upper freqs of your sub at all? Just to test that is lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
[he has the] personality of a syphalytic hedgehog trying to facef#ck its way into infected sinuses
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
Thought about changing the xover point a tad or giving it a steeper slope to see if it smoothes out the upper freqs of your sub at all? Just to test that is lol
Oh yeah, I've tried just about everything imaginable with the crossover on those subs prior to tossing in a couple pillows.

Old 07-09-2013   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Schizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enough

Let us know if you like it with changes or if its too much at the higher end still

Quote:
[he has the] personality of a syphalytic hedgehog trying to facef#ck its way into infected sinuses
Old 07-15-2013   #89

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 51 bradsworth will become famous soon enoughbradsworth will become famous soon enoughbradsworth will become famous soon enoughbradsworth will become famous soon enoughbradsworth will become famous soon enoughbradsworth will become famous soon enough

Its strange (to me) that pillows would have such a profound effect considering the wavelengths of the frequencies involved. I'm truly curious about the physics involved here...
bradsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsworth View Post
Its strange (to me) that pillows would have such a profound effect considering the wavelengths of the frequencies involved. I'm truly curious about the physics involved here...
I forget what the physics involved is called, but the principle is that as the air in the box compressed, it is heated and becomes 'sticky' and doesn't have the same flow.

This may not be the exact process so if I'm off hopefully someone can succinctly explain it better. (there is one big thread at least on this and polyfill).

Anyhow it has been found that polyfill stuffing in a volume of air acts to reduce this effect Anson effect makes the box seem like it has a bigger volume than it really does. So in IB configuration the attempt is to have infinite volume on one side (or both?). Trunks however have defined volume (unless its cut to vent bnear the sub) thus adding pillows with polyfill make the subs 'think' the trunk has more volume

Quote:
Old 12-13-2016   #91

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 rockin will become famous soon enoughrockin will become famous soon enoughrockin will become famous soon enoughrockin will become famous soon enoughrockin will become famous soon enoughrockin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by addmd View Post
Those aren't pillows! ........... How about them bears?!?
OMG dude. You just made me spit tea all over my laptop - years after writing that.
rockin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement