LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 145 captainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the rough

Arrow From a DRZ to a DEH-80PRS...will I be dissappointed?

In my last install, I ran a DRZ-9255 and absolutely loved the clean sound from that unit. (I've also previously used a Denford 8250m and an old Sony ES CDX-C780)
I am currently planning a new install in a different vehicle, and I'm looking hard at the new Pioneer deh-80PRS. I know it doesn't have quite as much flexibility in the tuning department (3-way active vs 4-way, etc), but what I'm concerned omst about is the sound. How will this compare sound wise to the other top units out there (p99rs, DRZ, etc) ?
My only other hang up is the crossover settings...why oh why can't they have more HPF settings on the MID section of these? If you want to run a 3-way active system up front, the highest you can cross your mids at is 250hz. Would love a few more optoins up there as it makes running a 3" driver (which is much easier to install) much harder.

Current: 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 Install build log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...speed-3-a.html
Previous: 2005 Mazda 3 Install build log
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Lars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enough

Default Re: From a DRZ to a DEH-90PRS...will I be dissappointed?

Just made a move from DRZ to P90RS....Not regretting at all....but will still be keeping my DRZ....each have their own strength...but P90 is better...
Lars Ulriched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 my7707797 will become famous soon enoughmy7707797 will become famous soon enoughmy7707797 will become famous soon enoughmy7707797 will become famous soon enoughmy7707797 will become famous soon enoughmy7707797 will become famous soon enough

Dude,
Are you asking about DEH-80PRS or DEX-P90RS.
New DEH-P80PRS plastic is selling for 300-350 BNIB, while DRZ9255 is about 3 times at cost.
What about P90 it's very good item. I heard both. It depends from which amps and s[eakers consist system. In example, I heard fully 3-way brax monobrand system running from P90. It was great sound without "soul". Many people and me too keeping thier DRZ9255(HX-D2) because it has amazing incomparable its own sound. So, If you're asked about 80PRS it's another level (I'm sure that you meant this HU). Don't compare it with greatest HU IMHO.
my7707797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 145 captainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the roughcaptainobvious is a jewel in the rough

Yes, i was referring to the deh-80PRS, NOT the dex-p90rs.
The new $350 one...

Current: 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 Install build log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...speed-3-a.html
Old 04-24-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 nigeDLS will become famous soon enoughnigeDLS will become famous soon enoughnigeDLS will become famous soon enoughnigeDLS will become famous soon enoughnigeDLS will become famous soon enoughnigeDLS will become famous soon enough

Bit confused with your first post regarding running a 3" mid @ 250hz?
nigeDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
If you want to run a 3-way active system up front, the highest you can cross your mids at is 250hz. Would love a few more optoins up there as it makes running a 3" driver (which is much easier to install) much harder.
Well, the only way to run a 3-way front off the deck is to have another crossover in the mix.

Example A
Add a 2-way crossover to devide the signal between the midrange and midbass.

Low LPF: 80Hz - Down

Mid HPF: 80Hz
(2-Way Crossover): 400Hz
Mid LPF: 4KHz

High HPF: 4KHz - Up
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeDLS View Post
Bit confused with your first post regarding running a 3" mid @ 250hz?
Im referring to the high pass filter setting for the midrange/wideband driver. Running it from 250hz on up...

Old 04-25-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
Well, the only way to run a 3-way front off the deck is to have another crossover in the mix.

Example A
Add a 2-way crossover to devide the signal between the midrange and midbass.

Low LPF: 80Hz - Down

Mid HPF: 80Hz
(2-Way Crossover): 400Hz
Mid LPF: 4KHz

High HPF: 4KHz - Up
But the deck handles a 3-way active front already...with no need to add an additional crossover network UNLESS you don't tlike the crossover settings available on the deck. I just wish the MID HPF could extend higher than 250hz, is all.

EDIT: I think you were assuming a subwoofer was in the mix- not the case. This would be for a Midbass + Midrange + Tweeter, OR Midbass + wideband
If I wanted to run a sub, I would simply use the crossover on the sub amp. But it's very likely I wont need to run one...time will tell.

Old 04-25-2012   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

... Squirrel!!!...

Rep Power: 456 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Re: From a DRZ to a DEH-80PRS...will I be dissappointed?

I edited the title.

- Erin

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 SkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enough

Yes, you will be dissappointed.

Pioneer DEXP9/Hiquphon OW4/ Hertz ML1600/ Peerless XXLS 10/ PPI Art Ax606.2
SkodaTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaTeam View Post
Yes, you will be dissappointed.
Have you used the 80PRS in your system?

Old 04-25-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 44 duro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enoughduro78 will become famous soon enough

There have been no bad reviews as far as sq goes with the 80. Although its in a lower price range it offers great features in the sq department. Try it out, if you don't like it sell it for a very small loss. Even if the sound isn't up to par the updated features might compensate for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Head unit- Pioneer DEH 80prs Dsp- JBL Ms8 Amps -2 ppi p900.4
. Tweeters - Lpg26na Midrange - Tang band W3
. Mid Bass - Rs180 sub - 2 jl 10w6v2
duro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think you were assuming a subwoofer was in the mix- not the case. This would be for a Midbass + Midrange + Tweeter, OR Midbass + wideband
If I wanted to run a sub, I would simply use the crossover on the sub amp. But it's very likely I wont need to run one...time will tell.
I guess myself and Pioneer did assume a sub was in the mix. 250 Hz on a 3" might be ugly...you may have to use the amps HP crossover if it has one. As far as sound...have yet to hear this deck but the previous PRS decks are good sounding products....but the Clarion and the P99 have the high price for a reason. If you keep that in mind you will not be disappointed...the Pioneer might even suprise you...given its low price.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
I guess myself and Pioneer did assume a sub was in the mix. 250 Hz on a 3" might be ugly...you may have to use the amps HP crossover if it has one. As far as sound...have yet to hear this deck but the previous PRS decks are good sounding products....but the Clarion and the P99 have the high price for a reason. If you keep that in mind you will not be disappointed...the Pioneer might even suprise you...given its low price.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Yup, makes sense. I wouldnt be as worried about the 250hz crossover point if I was running the FR88/FR89 3"ers as they have plenty of xmax to handle that range without worries of over-excursion death. The W3-1364SA is another story though...Oh well, if I burn them up it will give me an excuse to need an upgrade

Old 04-25-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by duro78 View Post
There have been no bad reviews as far as sq goes with the 80. Although its in a lower price range it offers great features in the sq department. Try it out, if you don't like it sell it for a very small loss. Even if the sound isn't up to par the updated features might compensate for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yup, not like I'd be out much. I just ordered the 80PRS and I'll see what it can do shortly

Old 04-28-2012   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 SkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Have you used the 80PRS in your system?
yes, they are just diferent classes, night and day diference for me The DRZ is truly one of the best HU.

Pioneer DEXP9/Hiquphon OW4/ Hertz ML1600/ Peerless XXLS 10/ PPI Art Ax606.2
SkodaTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 45 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

It's funny I found this post.... I had almost considered the same change.. I kinda miss the ability to run USB etc even though the SQ loss through MP3 it was easier then swapping CD's all the time. I ended up getting the 6 disk changer with optical cable.. Now I really love this setup.. I got 2 cartridges so that helps also. Another thing would have been having HD Radio.

2014 Mustang GT - Stock Deck w/Mosconi 6to8
ARC CXLR-4150 on Illusion Audio C8 comps active
Mosconi One 240.2 on Alumapro Alchemy 12"
WestCo RCA cables, IXOS 5 Farad CAP
Team Audionutz South
Got-Four-Eights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 119 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Since the 80 is at a lower price than the 800 was I wonder if the components are as good. I switched from the 800 go the DRZ & heard a pretty substantial difference, but the 800 still sounded dn good. The only thing that really erks me about the DRZ is the 18db slope crossovers. Why couldn't they used 24db? The 5 band PEQ is a nice tool if you know how to use it properly (I was intimidated by it). I use the P01 now & love it! I have a trusty backup in the DRZ though.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - HD750/1 - Integra 402 - 10BR60V2 - IB15A(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

... Squirrel!!!...

Rep Power: 456 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

P99/800prs/80prs all measure pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone. Pardon the grammar.

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 texasman1973 will become famous soon enoughtexasman1973 will become famous soon enoughtexasman1973 will become famous soon enoughtexasman1973 will become famous soon enoughtexasman1973 will become famous soon enoughtexasman1973 will become famous soon enough

ok captn. any reviews? what is your initial thoughts of the 80prs. are you happy?
texasman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 45 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

I just made the swap.. if you have a DRZ already.. don't make the swap. This unti doesn't sound near as warm as the DRZ.

Team Audionutz South
Old 05-25-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 185 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
I just made the swap.. if you have a DRZ already.. don't make the swap. This unti doesn't sound near as warm as the DRZ.
In your biased sighted opinion.

t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
In your biased sighted opinion.
Biased.. Have you heard and compared the two with the same setup? I think its you guys who are biased based on a bunch of graphs that can't tell you how you will hear it. You must understand.. I WANTED this to be a great deck with great sound but it's simple no competition for the DRZ. I am keeping it anyways.. it is badass because of all the extra functions.. SD, dual USB, ipod control, pandora, and honestly I don't see why ppl think its ugly. It's a good looking deck. I think with enough seat time the tune will come but I am saying overall sound flat for flat... DRZ is just better. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you don't like it that is fine but don't sit there and call me biased.. which really makes zero sense because I plan on selling the DRZ anyway and hope a DSP will makeup the difference.

Team Audionutz South
Old 05-25-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 185 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Biased.. Have you heard and compared the two with the same setup? I think its you guys who are biased based on a bunch of graphs that can't tell you how you will hear it. You must understand.. I WANTED this to be a great deck with great sound but it's simple no competition for the DRZ. I am keeping it anyways.. it is badass because of all the extra functions.. SD, dual USB, ipod control, pandora, and honestly I don't see why ppl think its ugly. It's a good looking deck. I think with enough seat time the tune will come but I am saying overall sound flat for flat... DRZ is just better. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you don't like it that is fine but don't sit there and call me biased.. which really makes zero sense because I plan on selling the DRZ anyway and hope a DSP will makeup the difference.
Being biased toward something is not always a conscious choice, and it certainly isn't a criticism.

NwAvGuy: What We Hear

(Don't worry, no graphs there. )

t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Being biased toward something is not always a conscious choice, and it certainly isn't a criticism.

NwAvGuy: What We Hear

(Don't worry, no graphs there. )
Thx, no matter how much I read.. it won't change my opinion of what I just heard. I played 5 songs all the way through before installing the 80prs and then played them on the 80prs. All songs from the dynaudio disk. They sound very different from each other. It's not even a subtle difference. I have managed to get it sounding better.. just need more seat time. Overall I love everything else about the deck...

Team Audionutz South