JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012   #226
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
You ever get this figured out? You sure you don't have the leads from the crossover to the tweeter/mid switched up?
Ya dude. If that were the case the tweeter would be nothing more than a puff smoke by now.
There's nothing wrong with these. It was all my ears. I went and had a physical today tot work. Had the doc look at my ears because of a pain ive been having in my ear for awhile now.
Turns out I had enough wax in there to make a weeping candle.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40118 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

lol. The ole wax in the ear excuse. Hope it is not more than just an inconvenience.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
lol. The ole wax in the ear excuse. Hope it is not more than just an inconvenience.
All is good now. He used a little...um sucky thingy and got so much wax out of my ears.
While he was doing it he'd pull out a ball of wax and i'd be able to hear things like the paper i was sitting on crackling and then brrrrrrrrrr then he'd pull more out.
Took about thirty mins. when all was said and done there were two pile of orange wax. Like really dark orange.
Wish i would've took some pics with my phone.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."

Old 11-02-2012   #229
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 151 niceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enough

Umm, no thanks lol....you sound like my wife's friend who asked my wife to bring her gallbladder home in a jar for her
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012   #230
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
Umm, no thanks lol....you sound like my wife's friend who asked my wife to bring her gallbladder home in a jar for her
It's not that bad man. Is it?

Old 11-02-2012   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 238 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
All is good now. He used a little...um sucky thingy and got so much wax out of my ears.
While he was doing it he'd pull out a ball of wax and i'd be able to hear things like the paper i was sitting on crackling and then brrrrrrrrrr then he'd pull more out.
Took about thirty mins. when all was said and done there were two pile of orange wax. Like really dark orange.
Wish i would've took some pics with my phone.
I have to have mine done every 2 or 3 years. They use a saline solution to press it out from the backside. Makes a HUGE difference.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012   #232
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I have to have mine done every 2 or 3 years. They use a saline solution to press it out from the backside. Makes a HUGE difference.
I've had that done too. But the other day he used something like the dentist uses to suck the saliva or blood or whatever.
He put this expanding tube in my ear stretched it out a little and started pulling the wax out.
It's alot more um pleasurable experience. Plus the last time they used the saline stuff i felt like i had water in my ear for a week.
Theres none of that with the way this guy did it.

Old 11-20-2012   #233

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Keoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enough

Can anybody tell me what the physical diameter of this tweeter is WITHOUT the mounting cup--just the bare tweeter? The manual doesn't show that dimension. I want to know if it will fit in my stock tweeter mount.

Thanks,
Keoni
Keoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012   #234

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Kevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enough

The tweeter fit in my sierra A-Pillars without too much modifaction ,measured at about 38mm or just under 1.5"for the ring around the face...the stock tweeters were 1" and very little trimming had to be done for the rear portion to fit once out of the cups ...hope this helps .

check out my pics on my sierra build
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012   #235

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 WannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enough

Just ordered a set of these... Plan to run them active, does any one know what the individual impedances are of the drivers separately? Also, if the sensitivity changes?

Thanks
WannaBBurly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012   #236

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Keoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enoughKeoni will become famous soon enough

Kevin C,

Can the tweeters be pulled from its casing, basically exposing the tweeter without its grill? If so, would that be much small than 1.5"?

Thanks again,
Keoni
Old 11-28-2012   #237

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 WannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enough

Just got my set in last night. Pioneer 80PRS will be here tonight.

Debating on setup still... Really want a nice 5-channel to run the front stage active, plus a sub. I've noticed a few people running the tweets off of the deck power. Is this still a viable option, or has everyone moved on from that?

I have some old amps laying around that I may use. RF Power 750S, about 850W bridged to 4 ohm for the sub. RF Punch 201S, rated at 50w x2, may put that on the tweeters. Then just pick up a solid 2-channel for the mids? Or sell the 201 and get a nice 4-channel for the front? Sell both amps I have, buy a JL 900/5... Buy a 2-channel, keep the sub amp, run tweeters off deck power? Oh decisions, decisions...
Old 11-28-2012   #238

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBBurly View Post
Just got my set in last night. Pioneer 80PRS will be here tonight.

Debating on setup still... Really want a nice 5-channel to run the front stage active, plus a sub. I've noticed a few people running the tweets off of the deck power. Is this still a viable option, or has everyone moved on from that?
By deck power, you mean "MS-8" power, correct? Deck power can't be mixed with power after the MS-8 due to time delay that occurs at the MS-8. Just making sure you knew that.
Old 11-28-2012   #239

DIYMA freshman

Deck power meaning head unit power. I don't have an MS-8 processor, the Pioneer deck will be doing my processing.
Old 11-28-2012   #240

DIYMA freshman

Sorry about that, was reading the MS-8 thread then saw this post and responded too quickly. My bad!
Old 12-02-2012   #241

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Well guys, you've reeled in another one. Ordered a pair from AAFES which means they might take a minute to arrive, but they're coming from Harmon directly.

Question is I have 2 4-channel amps I'll be installing: a Rockford P8004 and a PG Octane 5.0:4 as well as an Image Dynamics ID10 d4 in a sealed 0.5 cu ft enclosure. Which amp would you recommend me using on the comps and which on the ID10? Also looking for advice on bridged vs unbridged and 2 vs 8 ohms on the id10. Definitely looking for daily driver sq as the ultimate goal.
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012   #242
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 225 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
Well guys, you've reeled in another one. Ordered a pair from AAFES which means they might take a minute to arrive, but they're coming from Harmon directly.

Question is I have 2 4-channel amps I'll be installing: a Rockford P8004 and a PG Octane 5.0:4 as well as an Image Dynamics ID10 d4 in a sealed 0.5 cu ft enclosure. Which amp would you recommend me using on the comps and which on the ID10? Also looking for advice on bridged vs unbridged and 2 vs 8 ohms on the id10. Definitely looking for daily driver sq as the ultimate goal.
Best to put as many details as you can on each amp. Detailed amp features and specs aren't common technical knowledge.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012   #243
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40118 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Rockford is more powerful and therefore good for more sub output and less likely to overheat. The sub is dual 4 ohm so you can bridge the amp to 2 channels where each channel goes to one 4ohm coil.

Then bridge the PG to go to the components.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by schmiddr2; 12-02-2012 at 06:54 PM..
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012   #244

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Specs (by request):

PG 5.0:4 at 14.4v
80w x 4 @4ohms
125 x 4 @ 2ohms
250 x 2 bridged @ 4

Rockford P8004 @ 14.4v
100w x 4 @ 4 ohms
200w x 4 @ 2 ohms
400w x 2 bridged
Old 12-02-2012   #245

DIYMA freshman

I'm going to try to avoid wiring each vc to a bridged channel because I really dont want to mess up my ID10 if I don't properly match voltage on each channel. I'd rather go 8ohms on the sub and bridged to the amp or 2 ohms on the sub on a single channel.
Old 12-02-2012   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 238 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
Specs (by request):

PG 5.0:4 at 14.4v
80w x 4 @4ohms
125 x 4 @ 2ohms
250 x 2 bridged @ 4

Rockford P8004 @ 14.4v
100w x 4 @ 4 ohms
200w x 4 @ 2 ohms
400w x 2 bridged
Unless you need a shit ton of bass, I'd do the RF on the components active, and the PG on the sub with each bridged channel on a coil. Basically the 2-amp equivalent of an HD900/5

Old 12-02-2012   #247

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Unless you need a shit ton of bass, I'd do the RF on the components active, and the PG on the sub with each bridged channel on a coil. Basically the 2-amp equivalent of an HD900/5
Don't need a shit ton, that's for sure. My concern is running active on either amp. Looking at the crossover on those, I'd have to get a separate external crossover before I could go active. So plans right now are strictly passive so I can get a feel for what shortfalls are introduced by the passive xover that I can aim to correct going active.
Old 12-02-2012   #248

DIYMA freshman

Here's another question, though. To run with each VC on a different channel, what precautions do I need to take? I'll be setting gains by DMM to match rated power for each component, but should I be taking something else into account to make sure that each voice coil is getting the exact same signal? Additionally, running the JBL comps passive, what should I be able to take my gains up to after break-in?
Old 12-02-2012   #249
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Nope. Once you've level matched the channels you're good to go on the sub as long as both channels are getting the same signal so either make sure your HU/processor is sending a mono signal or use a y-adapter.

Don't worry about break-in. It's a myth and happens within minutes, at most.

What HU or processor are you running?

Old 12-02-2012   #250

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Nope. Once you've level matched the channels you're good to go on the sub as long as both channels are getting the same signal so either make sure your HU/processor is sending a mono signal or use a y-adapter.

Don't worry about break-in. It's a myth and happens within minutes, at most.

What HU or processor are you running?
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and that's it. Down the road, I plan to add either a Clarion MCD360 or JBL MS-8 but have to gain WAF on everything, so it'll be a while before I do any further processing. Unfortunately, the crossover points on the 8400 are nowhere near what they'd need to be to truly go active at this point, so passive is the only option. Once I get a little more free money, I plan to grab a MS-8 (they're 499 on AAFES atm, no tax).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement