JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 13 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012   #301

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Well, I live in L.A. so we've got Walmarts up the wazoo. I'll be sure to seal the MDF as well, but do you have a preference to your sealer? I'm thinking you're referring to the same stuff you use to treat decks for waterproofing.
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012   #302
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
Well, I live in L.A. so we've got Walmarts up the wazoo. I'll be sure to seal the MDF as well, but do you have a preference to your sealer? I'm thinking you're referring to the same stuff you use to treat decks for waterproofing.
I use duplicolor bedliner. Look around the threads here and you will find all sorts of things people use. Seems the preffered method is to use cheap cutting boards instead of MDF, but I already had the MDF and have had no problem with moisture yet and this is not a "Nice Weather" area of the country.

hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012   #303

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Exter...kuId=202889340
Should this do the trick on sealer? In the spirit of keeping things cheap...I will be using MDF since it's less than 10 bucks for a decent sized board at THD and cuts easily enough.

Old 12-11-2012   #304
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
WaterSeal 12 oz. Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer-TH.010100-18 at The Home Depot
Should this do the trick on sealer? In the spirit of keeping things cheap...I will be using MDF since it's less than 10 bucks for a decent sized board at THD and cuts easily enough.
Why dont you just buy a cheap poly (non wood/glass) cutting board? Kill two birds with one stone....also easy to cut and likely just as cheap? Just as rigid too!
Pretty much all I use now
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012   #305

DIYMA freshman

Links? Just want to know what I should be looking for.
Old 12-11-2012   #306

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Kevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enough

EXactly as has been replied.
I used cld tile around the sheetmetal opening after removing the stock plastic baffle and speaker.
I also used multiple layered MDF 3/4 and 5/8 ,Glued ,clamped , sanded and then waterproofed with a couple coats of truck bedliner spray.
With the CLD tile overlay on the door sheet metal ,I further applied a 1/4 foam rubber "gasket" around the opening before attaching with heavy sheet metal screws (pre drilled).
I added a little more cld tile , but some prefer model clay (non hardening) around the baffle once mounted .
I like how the Cld tile buytl compresses under the Speaker mount surface , acting as a spring washer and ensuring it stays mounted.(dont overdue cranking the Speaker down.
Dead as a door nail where the speaker sits.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012   #307
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 221 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Cutting board material is acoustically better than mdf. Duct seal is also better than clay since it won't ever dry out or melt.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012   #308

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough

Would it be advantageous to run these with the aura whisper or fountek 88ex full range speakers or would it be better to pick up an sls6 or rs180 and go that direction?
98koukile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012   #309
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98koukile View Post
Would it be advantageous to run these with the aura whisper or fountek 88ex full range speakers or would it be better to pick up an sls6 or rs180 and go that direction?
What??????

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012   #310

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough

3 way active... this is a diy forum
Old 12-14-2012   #311
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
3 way active... this is a diy forum
Then why are you trying a pre assembled set?

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012   #312

DIYMA freshman

This set has many good reviews, people run it active and still find the price to be competitive, and adding a midrange/full range to a component set isn't necessarily a new practice. I was simply asking because I'd love to try these but I also really want to try three way so I'm weighing my options.
Old 12-16-2012   #313

DIYMA freshman

So no one has an opinion or first hand experience tying these into a three way build? I'm more curious than anything else.
Old 12-17-2012   #314
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I think a far better question to ask is this:
Why exactly do you deem it necessary to Build a 3way setup......What do you feel your missing or need to change/add? I dont see this set being a "great" start for a 3way. Unless you can fit a 6" (or the 5" set) as a midrange....
Old 12-17-2012   #315
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I think a far better question to ask is this:
Why exactly do you deem it necessary to Build a 3way setup......What do you feel your missing or need to change/add? I dont see this set being a "great" start for a 3way. Unless you can fit a 6" (or the 5" set) as a midrange....
These are looking very appealing to me in a 3-way (10's in the doors). Shallow mount with no pole vent in the mids look like a good recipe for the kicks. Plus the detail of a metal dome without the harshness... what's not to like?

Btw, what was the overall diameter & depth of the tweeter?

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012   #316

DIYMA freshman

Well as it stands I'll be running the ms8 with only a front stage for now while I sort out what to do for a sub. I like to try new and different things and one thing I was curious enough to do research on was the use of a full range Speaker to cover the majority or entirety of the vocal range. This is not something I'm dying to try or must do with this set in particular but I was curious enough to ask the question with people who have first hand experience. If I liked this set enough I might never change them out but that has yet to be determined.
Old 12-17-2012   #317
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well as it stands I'll be running the ms8 with only a front stage for now while I sort out what to do for a sub. I like to try new and different things and one thing I was curious enough to do research on was the use of a full range Speaker to cover the majority or entirety of the vocal range. This is not something I'm dying to try or must do with this set in particular but I was curious enough to ask the question with people who have first hand experience. If I liked this set enough I might never change them out but that has yet to be determined.

Using a widebander can work very well, many on here use them - myself included. Generally, the key is to get them as much on-axis as possible. I admit, there are times where I miss that top end sparkle from a tweeter, hence the reason I'm looking at this set.

FYI... Andy has mentioned using the MS-8 with a wideband driver without a tweeter isn't optimal.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012   #318
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Well the reason why I mentioned I dont consider it an ideal beginning for a 3way set is because where it really shines is the midrange (imo). Midbass is adequate but could definitely be more robust....but that depends on your sub/system layout. It should be adequate in most situations. Adding a midrange to this set to me would be pointless? Midrange is great! Like Fish mentioned though....I could see it well with a 10" midbass (although I would probably shoot for the 5.25" set depending on mounting location)......
People seem to love the "sex appeal" of a 3way (hahahaha....yup, I said that front stage. Reality of it is pretty simple... A lot of cases its just not needed! More then that, more often then not people do more bad then good with it as far as the active aspect goes! Not saying it cant or doesnt have its advantages....Just saying that of the countless cars I have listened to.....the vast majority had taken steps backwards because of it. Dont get me wrong though....its fun to play. But it cost $ and takes time and eventually people get tired of that part. I advise doing the absolute most you can with the simplest setup.....more often then not, when done right, audio happiness is had Until you go to the "new threads" on here of course....then that damn bug takes over again?
KISS- Keep it simple stupid! (NO, not calling you stupid!)
Old 12-17-2012   #319

DIYMA freshman

I love the KISS method, which is why I was looking at this set. But these ideas of using the ms8 to its full potential just keep running through my head. I guess I'll try these then think of something if I don't love them.
Old 12-17-2012   #320
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

i'm of the opinion that any good 2-way system can sound better as a 3-way. especially if the system is active where you can control crossover frequencies and slope- and where the midbass driver is mounted off-axis (front lower doors)- and where the midrange and tweeter will be mounted close to each other, high in the sound stage and somewhat on-axis.
when the midrange driver and frequencies have clear unobstructed pathways to your ears there is nothing like the clarity you can achieve with this installation fundamental.
a two way sounds good if not very good but a proper 3-way is in another league.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012   #321

DIYMA freshman

From what rex said maybe a midrange isn't what i want, maybe I should look at putting an 8 somewhere to fill in the lower end if I find a gap to fill after trying them as is.
Old 12-18-2012   #322
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Had enough funds laying around in my paypal account from previous gear sales short of $3 shipped from Savingslot....

Needless to say after following this review, I finally pulled the trigger. Now the next decision will be keep the set of Peerless XXL 830876 or go back with the dual HO 10" to mate. Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions.
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012   #323

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 negativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enough

i decided to join the cult of ms-62c after my jbl p660c set decided to rip themselves apart(there has to be an engineering, or manufacturing, shortcoming concerning the surrounds on the woofers). the surround seperated from the cone more than 50% of the way around the cone on both woofers. not only on both of my woofers but also one of my roommates. that's 3 out of 4. and i also remember reading about another member posting this. shame on you jbl.
the tweets on these ms-62c are a wonder, i've only had these installed for 2 days now and i cannot stress enough how much better these sound than the p660c set. looking forward to dialing them in after the break in period.
negativegain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012   #324

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 negativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enough

double post.

but again, i cannot believe how weak the surround must be on the p660c set. for shame jbl. not only did it seperate from the cone, but at one 3 inch stetch, the surround actually seperated from the basket.
negativegain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012   #325
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Wow! It's a good thing I decided to go upwards in tier. I almost went with the P660C. Thanks for the info!

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement