JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 14 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012   #326
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativegain View Post
double post.

but again, i cannot believe how weak the surround must be on the p660c set. for shame jbl. not only did it seperate from the cone, but at one 3 inch stetch, the surround actually seperated from the basket.
Then having them warrantied shouldnt be a problem Or did you get them NON authorized (hence the issues?). You may even be able to upgrade to the MS on their dime? They are very good about warranty if you bought them legit.
What xover point were they high passed at? What was the Power (and from what) did you hear any warnings etc........?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012   #327
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Just received mines. Nice looking drivers. Really has me pondering for the 27th for a sub to match aesthetically... As soon as I get my old laptop up and going (it's a dinosaur) I'm going to put it on the WT3. I'm surprised no one has done this and/or posted the results just out of curiosity. Perhaps I missed it.
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012   #328
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Just received mines. Nice looking drivers. Really has me pondering for the 27th for a sub to match aesthetically... As soon as I get my old laptop up and going (it's a dinosaur) I'm going to put it on the WT3. I'm surprised no one has done this and/or posted the results just out of curiosity. Perhaps I missed it.
It'd be cool if someone sent theirs to Erin to run on the Klippell (hint-hint).

Anyone know of any sites that has them for cheaper than the $179.99 @Sonic?

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012   #329
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

I got mines from Savinglots.com, but for only a few bucks cheaper ($172 shipped) I'd say it's not worth it. I didn't investigate (rushing like a kid on xmas) who I was dealing with. I received it, but didn't get a tracking number. Just as I was about to call & cancel the order, I got home & seen the delivery. For safety sakes & peace of mind (not to mention I don't know if they're authorized, doubt they are) I would just order from Sonic.
Old 12-20-2012   #330
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40115 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
It'd be cool if someone sent theirs to Erin to run on the Klippell (hint-hint).
I offered a few months ago. I also want to see how they compare to others he has done.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012   #331
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 253 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
I offered a few months ago. I also want to see how they compare to others he has done.
I think he only will test drivers he wants to see tested. I asked before when he was using DIYMA's klippel, he told me to check back in a month or so. So I did and he didnt even give me a response. Ant needs to get the klippel back in the hands of somebody that will actually use it alot for the community.

Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012   #332
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsDownLow View Post
I think he only will test drivers he wants to see tested. I asked before when he was using DIYMA's klippel, he told me to check back in a month or so. So I did and he didnt even give me a response. Ant needs to get the klippel back in the hands of somebody that will actually use it alot for the community.
Who in the hell's got it?

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012   #333
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

This blows big time! Couldn't get my laptop up and running to test it. Plus I have the first edition WT3 so I can't run it on windows 7 until I can get an upgrade. UGHHHH!

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Old 12-21-2012   #334

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 mosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enough

The inverted titanium tweeter seems to be the main factor for the positive reviews of this set. Does anyone know if it can be sourced seperately?
mosconiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012   #335
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Doubt that's going to happen anytime soon unless you can get them directly from JBL. At that point, you'd be better off buying a the entire comp set at the cheapest prices from a distributor then offing the mids/xover to offset the price. I'm sure JBL will be almost near that price since they are selling the GTO tweets for $99. By the time they start offering the tweets separately you may be able to find them elsewhere for about half... maybe. I just don't see that happening anytime soon since this is a tier below their flagship comp sets, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-21-2012   #336
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 253 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Who in the hell's got it?
Ant and Mastermod or whatever his screen name is, I think

Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012   #337

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 lucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enough

I've got to add to the chorus of praise for this set. While they aren't perfect, they are darn good for people who want to install, set gains, and enjoy music and not have to go jumping through hoops trying to get a set to sound good. I'd bet my impressions would be much better if my tweeters weren't mounted so far away from the mids.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012   #338

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
I've got to add to the chorus of praise for this set. While they aren't perfect, they are darn good for people who want to install, set gains, and enjoy music and not have to go jumping through hoops trying to get a set to sound good. I'd bet my impressions would be much better if my tweeters weren't mounted so far away from the mids.
What do you have these installed in?
Devourment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012   #339
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post

I wouldn't expect perfection from any comp set, but did you use any sort of DSP?
Old 12-22-2012   #340
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Ok, finally got my WT3 running on my old XP desktop. Good thing I it kept around. Here's the results after several sweeps starting from successful calibrations. Keep in mind when using the WT3 actual cone diameter plus half surround (peak to peak) is used which yields roughly about 5" diameter for the MS-62c. This is not an oversized driver like the usual JBL comps. Since xmax is not given in the spec sheet it is unknown at this time.

SPL (1w/1m)= 86.53

RE= 2.952 ohms

Fs= 67.29hz

Qts= .6278

Qes= .7267

Qms= 4.614

Le= .6457 mh

Mms= 18.18 grams

Vas= .2451 cu ft

Xmax= N/A

All parameters check out in BB6 Pro and shows the driver to be more suited to vented enclosures which is obvious from the Fs/Qes ratio shown above. Sealed box with a Qtc of .707 is in .235 cu ft heavily stuffed with a F3 around 92hz. Won't bother with ported. I'll let someone else do that. Insignificant as we all know in Car audio, but figured I'd include that for anyone thinking about kicks. Also shows JBL's use of factoring in cabin gain. I've noticed this same thing before with a Diamond audio 5.25" comp set when tested. The driver's parameters suggested it was more suited for vented, but IB in the door it performed great with surprising amounts of midbass for it's size as compared to drivers more suited for sealed and seemingly IB. Just goes to show how we should not get hung up on parameters for IB, especially for midwoofers ran above Fs.

Last edited by Bayboy; 12-22-2012 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 12-22-2012   #341
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Also, for anyone wondering about the tweeter's resonance, an impedance sweep shows a peak around 2800hz. The tweeter also registered at 3.9 ohms Typical for a small format metal tweeter, but speaks nothing of the actual dynamics of the driver. At least there's a starting point for active xover points.
Old 12-23-2012   #342

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Got some play time with these puppies today since I finally have both installed. Decided to run passive with the tweets directly above the woofer behind the door card. I thought that would screw up imaging, but it actually enhanced it for me. Localization was difficult across the whole spectrum (think my new ported enclosure for my ID10 helped), midbass was dramatically improved, and the clarity! Oh, how clear my system is now.

I tested on various tracks like Romeo Machado and Satisfaction from the Focal discs, a couple soft rock pieces, and some electronic/EDM from Sander Van Doorn and Nero. Everything was played extremely well and I was absolutely gushing over the fact I was hearing new details in songs I hadn't previously heard. There's clear separation between picked notes on a guitar, the cymbal crashes are the most accurate I've heard from a door Speaker (attack and release were spot on), and vocals were buttery smooth. There were new basslines that were fiercely prominent and sounded like they came from an actual bass guitar instead of some half-assed attempts at notes.

I ended up putting a layer of CLD in between each metal/MDF and MDF/MDF surface as well as a ring of CCF weatherstrip between the Speaker ring and the midrange itself. Finally, I added one more layer of CLD to cover the CCF which overlapped the outer ring of the woofer itself. I feel this was the best method of creating a true IB environment without severe modifications and the payout is palpable.

No worries about harshness of tweets, even directly on axis (only on axis while wrapping up laying CLD on the doors). JBL scored a slam dunk in this regard. To make a metal dome that sounds so lifelike and accurate without being ear-bleeding harsh is a modern marvel IMO.

Final note was the natural accuracy of this component set. I noticed that my EQ curve when referenced with an RTA was significantly flatter than previous. I still had to make a couple cuts at 400Hz and 8Khz, but only at -4dB instead of a more severe -6 to -8 that I've had to in the past. Otherwise, everything else is pretty much flat from the get-go.

Definitely a believer in the MS62c. I can only imagine the benefits of going active with this set, but will be waiting quite some time before I make that step. Probably in the next vehicle...
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012   #343

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 Hondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enough

Default Got my order in.

Got mine coming along with a PPI p900.4

Going to run active on a 9887 Hope I get these by the end of the week!
Hondacru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012   #344

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
Got some play time with these puppies today since I finally have both installed. Decided to run passive with the tweets directly above the woofer behind the door card. I thought that would screw up imaging, but it actually enhanced it for me. Localization was difficult across the whole spectrum (think my new ported enclosure for my ID10 helped), midbass was dramatically improved, and the clarity! Oh, how clear my system is now.

I tested on various tracks like Romeo Machado and Satisfaction from the Focal discs, a couple soft rock pieces, and some electronic/EDM from Sander Van Doorn and Nero. Everything was played extremely well and I was absolutely gushing over the fact I was hearing new details in songs I hadn't previously heard. There's clear separation between picked notes on a guitar, the cymbal crashes are the most accurate I've heard from a door Speaker (attack and release were spot on), and vocals were buttery smooth. There were new basslines that were fiercely prominent and sounded like they came from an actual bass guitar instead of some half-assed attempts at notes.

I ended up putting a layer of CLD in between each metal/MDF and MDF/MDF surface as well as a ring of CCF weatherstrip between the Speaker ring and the midrange itself. Finally, I added one more layer of CLD to cover the CCF which overlapped the outer ring of the woofer itself. I feel this was the best method of creating a true IB environment without severe modifications and the payout is palpable.

No worries about harshness of tweets, even directly on axis (only on axis while wrapping up laying CLD on the doors). JBL scored a slam dunk in this regard. To make a metal dome that sounds so lifelike and accurate without being ear-bleeding harsh is a modern marvel IMO.

Final note was the natural accuracy of this component set. I noticed that my EQ curve when referenced with an RTA was significantly flatter than previous. I still had to make a couple cuts at 400Hz and 8Khz, but only at -4dB instead of a more severe -6 to -8 that I've had to in the past. Otherwise, everything else is pretty much flat from the get-go.

Definitely a believer in the MS62c. I can only imagine the benefits of going active with this set, but will be waiting quite some time before I make that step. Probably in the next vehicle...
Happen to have any pics of your doors?
Old 12-25-2012   #345

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
Happen to have any pics of your doors?
You're lucky I'm up early...they don't have any MLV/CCF yet, so bear that in mind.

Old 12-25-2012   #346

DIYMA freshman

Hahaha. Thanks man.

Looks good! What kind of car/truck do you have them installed in? I got mine here sitting in the box. Installing them next month. Freaking pumped!
Old 12-25-2012   #347

DIYMA freshman

They're in a 2006 VW Passat. Install was a PITA because VW did not make it easy, but the end results was superb. Good luck with your build, man. These, like the title of the thread says, surprised the hell out of me.
Old 12-25-2012   #348

DIYMA freshman

Oh I certainly plan on sharing my thoughts as well. More then excited though!
Old 12-27-2012   #349

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough

I went to order these after xmas and now the places with the best prices are on backorder
98koukile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012   #350

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 Hondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enough

My p900.4 and ms-62's showed up on Friday.

The way the Jaguar xj6 is built, Speaker mounts are on the door card instead of the inner door skin. the over all O.D size is much bigger than the factory 6.5's. After some dremel work and 1/4 Speaker ring to give some clearance to the speaker surround, these guys got mounted nice n tight. The doors need some deadening treatment but for the most part solid.

I ran them active with the gains set to 12' clock on the mids and tweets. mids are crossed at 63hz to handle songs like off Nirvana's In Utero Album, Rage against the machine's Evil Umpire album and of course a favorite of mine, RHCP's Californication album. Rap music pretty much falls in this slope also.

Some songs I can bump down to 50hz and sometimes 40hz with the likes of Pat Benatar's Love is a battlefield and Blondie's Girls just wanna have fun. Same goes for the majority of The Beatles work.

As for the tweets, they are currently low passed at 2 hz along with the mid's high pass at 2hz also. I'm still fighting with how low or high to pass the tweeters. I have had them at 2500 and even 3100 hz. I'm still undecided but 2hz is fine for now till I get some more listening time in. On Nirvana work, I have had to turn the tweet levels down -2 on the deck to tame the highs when he just goes berserk at the end of some songs off "Live at the Reading festival.

I'm looking forward to playing Smashing pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness album to hear some piano and some more subdue clearer tracks like 1979 to possibly dial in the tweet crossover alittle better.

The amp is rated 145 per channel and they pack a good punch for the sane listener. Beware, I'm testing the limits of the mid as I have had it down to 50hz testing some slopes and cranked up at 24-25 on my Alpine 9887. I had a slight coil smell start to fill the cabin and backed off to 63hz quickly and it went away.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase including the amp. I had a discus 4125 before this one and the ppi with it's much smaller footprint barely register's a lukewarm temp compared to the Discus registering a temp much closer to the phoenix sun during similar time trials.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Hondacru27; 12-30-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Hondacru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement