JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 15 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012   #351

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Nice. I'm going to be running the exact same setup, though passive. Amp should be here next week. Excited!!
Devourment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012   #352

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 Hondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
Nice. I'm going to be running the exact same setup, though passive. Amp should be here next week. Excited!!
you have a 9887 also? if so, why not run active?
Hondacru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012   #353

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacru27 View Post
you have a 9887 also? if so, why not run active?
Well, not the exact same setup. Probably should have specified. I'm running a different deck. Using a Clarion CX501.

And I'm not going active because I want to use 1 amp and I'm powering a sub with the rear channels.
Devourment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012   #354

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 Hondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enough

update...

after some time listening and reversing polarity of my passenger side mid, my bass was more responsive and pronounced. I then set my T.A. 3.6cm LF and 6.7cm LR (Tweet). I also have cut the gain to the tweets -3 on the deck and crossed at 3.1 or 3.5 hz. Mids are now high passed 2.5.

THIS IS AWESOME All I need is a pair of 8's to fill in the sub stage then cut the mids alittle higher to about maybe 80hz and retune.

Looks like the JBL 8's or typer R 8's fed by a ppi 2 channel will work.
Hondacru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013   #355
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98koukile View Post
I love the KISS method, which is why I was looking at this set. But these ideas of using the ms8 to its full potential just keep running through my head. I guess I'll try these then think of something if I don't love them.

Using any processor to it's full potential is quite an attractive idea else it almost would negate it's sacrifice in purchasing. Still, this opens up doors to using raw drivers that are not available in the "car audio" market unless you have specific constraints which I will get to in my lower reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
i'm of the opinion that any good 2-way system can sound better as a 3-way. especially if the system is active where you can control crossover frequencies and slope- and where the midbass driver is mounted off-axis (front lower doors)- and where the midrange and tweeter will be mounted close to each other, high in the sound stage and somewhat on-axis.
when the midrange driver and frequencies have clear unobstructed pathways to your ears there is nothing like the clarity you can achieve with this installation fundamental.
a two way sounds good if not very good but a proper 3-way is in another league.

I'll probably get my head ripped off for this, but I have to agree due to the fact my install is space limited which confines me to certain drivers that can be quite unruly in the response I desire. Keep in mind I'm driving an older vehicle that has a narrow cabin and which also places the door drivers very low compared to seating position. A 1st generation S10 does not come equipped with front door speaker placing so one must pretty much fabricate or utilize the space that is available. Still this places a conundrum in the fact that besides cutting metal & the door panel to house such, size is limited as well as depth. Building out is not ideal either, remember the cabin is fairly narrow!

Now what this leads to is a fair requirement of a shallow midbass/midrange driver that still has the ability to dig a little deep, but also play with some authority. Not many current raw drivers out there that can accomplish this. The last raw drivers in use were RS180-4 then switched out to Jamo clearance. By far the Jamo owned the Daytons in midbass extension, but could not keep up in output & clarity into the midrange. The Daytons exhibited even more of a problem as their magnet structure required an extra baffle to keep from bottoming out against the window track which placed the driver's side even more off axis which it is already somewhat severe at.

Paired up with a set of RS75-4 on the dash was a good match & solution except again, remember.... narrow cabin, so getting the dash drivers back into the corners of the pillars was a no go and quite ugly! I wound up fabricating sealed housings made from miniature Glad cups and placed them on the corners of the dash. Auditioning them like that for several, several months, they were rotated periodically between on/off axis to find the best performance with off-axis winning.

What this has alluded to is going back to the use of normal car door mounting depth drivers for a solution, but still having some placement issues. With a seemingly (by way of reveiws) stout driver in the door that can get fairly deep, but not mount deep I chose the JBL set as a basis. The next step is to get the upper end filled out by going with a shallow mount midrange driver to mod into the pillars, then finally mate it with a tweeter meant to play off axis. Both will be firing across the dash with a very slight axis towards the listening area. Of course attenuation & xover points requires going totally active is a must at this point, but solutions have already been made considering what gear I own.

As you can see, it's not always cut & dry as to you "can't or shouldn't". It's a matter of knowing your constraints & what it will take to overcome such. It's a challenge, but there's very little rules in DIY as long as you have the means to make it so, that's what counts.
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013   #356

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 acid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enough

I saw a post on one of the pages that I don't feel like finding where someone was having problems with the tweeters.

I installed this set the other day and the mid is fantastic but the tweeters sound absolutely horrific and its very disappointing.
Super harsh and static-y, BUT the static is present even with the volume at 0, which leads me to believe that this is not a speaker problem but an amp problem (I searched the problem I'm having on forums and someone said that when they switched to a better amp the problem ceased to exist).
The problem was not there with my previous speakers on the same amp so I'm very confused. They are powerbass 2xl coaxs and they sounded way better than the JBL's do right now; the fuck man lol.
I almost have a new amp picked out, either jbl804ez or ppi p9004, but if I don't need to buy one because this is not the source of the problem then that would be great. Current amp is autotek10004.

Please help lol, I really only have one day left to mess with everything before I go back to school.
acid_burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013   #357
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 311 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried swapping the channels you are using ok the autotek, or are you bridging? You are using the supplied crossover correct? I'm assuming you aren't running active with an external processor or head unit?
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013   #358

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 acid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enoughacid_burn will become famous soon enough

Yes running passive xovers
Old 01-06-2013   #359

DIYMA freshman

Is there any chance the it could be the wire that I'm using? I didn't use the jbl speaker wire because it was too short so I used some other longer speaker wire that I had laying around.
Old 01-06-2013   #360

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 atbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enough

The first thing I'd do is check my connections... both to make sure they are secure, and hooked up correctly. Accidents happen. Good luck.
atbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013   #361

DIYMA freshman

I just the switched channels and problem solved.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-06-2013   #362

DIYMA freshman

These speakers are amazing lol.
Old 01-06-2013   #363

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 atbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear that! Mine are ordered and I hope to get them this week, along with an Alpine PDX-V9.
Old 01-06-2013   #364

DIYMA freshman

I only listened to them for about 20 minutes and wow. Have them on-axis and they're so loud and clear, and keep sounding better with increase in volume.

The tweeter is great on and off axis but I like my music really loud so I prefer on-axis right now. (using the velcro idea for placement from a post on this thread I think)

I can feel the vocals and I didn't even know that was possible. They sound wonderful with my hu setting of 2.5kHz. (also used this idea from a post on this thread; so helpful)

The midbass is great. I have never really heard such a tight snap from door speakers like this. I can only imagine how they would sound if my doors were sealed and deadened, with a better amp powering them. No offense to the autotek of course, it has served its job quite well but it is time for an upgrade. :]

I'll post again after playing some more. Great experience so far though.
Old 01-07-2013   #365

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 calibre will become famous soon enoughcalibre will become famous soon enoughcalibre will become famous soon enoughcalibre will become famous soon enoughcalibre will become famous soon enoughcalibre will become famous soon enough

Can any of you guys that have them installed, possibly compare them to the Pioneer Tsd 1720c's? I have my spanking new 62's sitting here that i had imported, but haven't got a chance to install mine properly for a while... gutting. I'm just wondering what sort of improvement/difference's I can expect over my current Pioneers? thanks in advance.
calibre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013   #366
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_burn View Post
I only listened to them for about 20 minutes and wow. Have them on-axis and they're so loud and clear, and keep sounding better with increase in volume.

The tweeter is great on and off axis but I like my music really loud so I prefer on-axis right now. (using the velcro idea for placement from a post on this thread I think)

I can feel the vocals and I didn't even know that was possible. They sound wonderful with my hu setting of 2.5kHz. (also used this idea from a post on this thread; so helpful)

The midbass is great. I have never really heard such a tight snap from door speakers like this. I can only imagine how they would sound if my doors were sealed and deadened, with a better amp powering them. No offense to the autotek of course, it has served its job quite well but it is time for an upgrade. :]

I'll post again after playing some more. Great experience so far though.

If your doors are not optimized, then yeah, you're truly missing out on the mids. That applies to just about any midwoofer that goes in the doors though. Honestly, it is the tweets that are stealing the show here. The woofers definitely are nice, but the tweets ability to merge with the mids is very impressive. I am using staggered xover points to correspond to a hot spot in my vehicle (mid lowpasses at 2khz down in doors, tweeter 3.15khz on dash). I must say the tweets have be attenuated quite a bit in my setup even firing across the dash. Damn things really put out, but are clean!
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013   #367
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_burn View Post
So riddle me this? Your using the passives according to your previous post.........Why/how is it that you have a xover on your deck set at 2.5k???? Unless your talking about an eq setting? Something makes ZERO sense here?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013   #368
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 311 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
So riddle me this? Your using the passives according to your previous post.........Why/how is it that you have a xover on your deck set at 2.5k???? Unless your talking about an eq setting? Something makes ZERO sense here?
I was thinking the same exact thing.
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013   #369

DIYMA freshman

Eq setting sorry. Sounds completely different when changed to that from other settings, which is why I mentioned it. Wasn't trying to imply that it was a xover point. Muh bad!
Old 01-07-2013   #370
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh......much better
Old 01-08-2013   #371

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

So is the general consensus that the tweets work best on the dash? I have them mounted directly above my mids behind the door card (not ideal, I know...waiting on more speaker wire), but am tossing around the idea of placing them either on the dash in the 45-angle cups, flush mounted and aimed directly across the windshield about 5 inches up the a-pillar, and in pods mounted at the same point, but on axis. Passive setup, mind you.

Btw, noticed a dramatic improvement in midbass by flipping polarity on the driver's mid using cmusic's method of tuning. Still not quite what I think they could be doing, but without more deadening or more power, I'm not sure I'm going to do better. Also waiting on y-adapters from AT so I can run them bridged off my Eclipse 36501
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013   #372

DIYMA freshman

Might be a kind of noob question, but I think it's logical...

If I hook the RCAs up correctly from head unit to amp... and the speaker wires up correctly between amp and speakers, why would I ever have to worry about flipping polarity?
Old 01-08-2013   #373
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Great and fair question! I suggest searching for switching polarity on here. There are a ton of good threads about when and why to do this. I dont think we should get into a dissertation of it on this particular thread. Researching this will provide you with some very valuable learning! Never a bad thing right?
Old 01-08-2013   #374

DIYMA freshman

Fair enough; will do. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013   #375
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Great and fair question! I suggest searching for switching polarity on here. There are a ton of good threads about when and why to do this. I dont think we should get into a dissertation of it on this particular thread. Researching this will provide you with some very valuable learning! Never a bad thing right?
Where's the "like" button when you need it...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement