JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 16 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013   #376

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 atbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enoughatbear will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Where's the "like" button when you need it...

Kelvin
Thanks for your addition.
atbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013   #377

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Well finally. After a couple of months I got everything installed.

I ran these passively, from a PPI P900.4. Front channels to each component, and the rear channels bridged to a Polk audio MM1040 in a .65 sealed box in my 2012 Silverado Ext. Cab.

Sounds phenomenal. I had all of this installed by one of the most reputable shops in town. All crossovers were set via RTA, gains were dialed in with an O-Scope. Absolutely beautiful. Only thing that is kind of bumming me is the rattles that are present. Which is nothing related to the products or anything but I need to do some dynamat inside on some certain spots where the rattles are.

Overall, for what I've spent, compared to other components I've ran in the past, I am very very pleased.

I'd like to add, and emphasize, that these tweeter's are very very nice to listen too. They are extremely detailed, yet not harsh. There is absolutely NO fatigue in them at all. Which is nice. I have these running off-axis, in the factory location via A-pillars, facing the windshield. I think this is why they are so forgiving. I dig it.

I am pleased. I need to do some more fine tuning, and learn the ins and outs of the head unit I had installed. Once I do that, I think I will be in heaven.

I'm sold. I love em'.
Devourment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013   #378

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 189 bassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
Well finally. After a couple of months I got everything installed.

I ran these passively, from a PPI P900.4. Front channels to each component, and the rear channels bridged to a Polk audio MM1040 in a .65 sealed box in my 2012 Silverado Ext. Cab.

Sounds phenomenal. I had all of this installed by one of the most reputable shops in town. All crossovers were set via RTA, gains were dialed in with an O-Scope. Absolutely beautiful. Only thing that is kind of bumming me is the rattles that are present. Which is nothing related to the products or anything but I need to do some dynamat inside on some certain spots where the rattles are.

Overall, for what I've spent, compared to other components I've ran in the past, I am very very pleased.

I'd like to add, and emphasize, that these tweeter's are very very nice to listen too. They are extremely detailed, yet not harsh. There is absolutely NO fatigue in them at all. Which is nice. I have these running off-axis, in the factory location via A-pillars, facing the windshield. I think this is why they are so forgiving. I dig it.

I am pleased. I need to do some more fine tuning, and learn the ins and outs of the head unit I had installed. Once I do that, I think I will be in heaven.

I'm sold. I love em'.
What shop?

Textured Bass Mafia............
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013   #379

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Devourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enoughDevourment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
What shop?
Soundscape Car audio in Plano. Dan Ungaro is just a BAMF. He's the owner of the shop.
Devourment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013   #380

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Hondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enoughHondacru27 will become famous soon enough

I'm getting some issue's with the negative terminal pressdown locks coming loose causing my Speaker to go in and out. Took the Speaker out and got them screwed tighter only to have them back out again the next day.

Thinking of going the solder route but not sure if I should solder to the tabs on the bottom of the terminal plate or somehow get the pressdowns secured tight and a dab of something to keep em from backing out.

I have a solder gun and also some super glue. best route?
Hondacru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013   #381
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacru27 View Post
I'm getting some issue's with the negative terminal pressdown locks coming loose causing my Speaker to go in and out. Took the Speaker out and got them screwed tighter only to have them back out again the next day.

Thinking of going the solder route but not sure if I should solder to the tabs on the bottom of the terminal plate or somehow get the pressdowns secured tight and a dab of something to keep em from backing out.

I have a solder gun and also some super glue. best route?
Post a picture of the problem so you can get better answers.
If its a screw that is comming undone from a thin piece of metal, then superglue is the best answer. But post a picture first so we know what is really going on here.

hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #382
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 156 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mike View Post
Can someone who has heard both the JBL MS-62C and the Polk MM6501 compare the two?
Hasnt this been covered on here? A few times????

Could be thinking of the wrong thread........but did you read this in its entirety?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #383

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 K-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enough

Yea thats my bad, I saw the first question not get answered but it does get answered later, sorry
K-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #384
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 156 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mike View Post
Yea thats my bad, I saw the first question not get answered but it does get answered later, sorry
No worries man! LONG ASS THREAD!!!! Some good, lots of garbage. Nature of the beast!
Old 01-17-2013   #385

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
No worries man! LONG ASS THREAD!!!! Some good, lots of garbage. Nature of the beast!
Speaking of long thread, think one of my questions got lost in translation (that or my eyes start to cross going through all the pages). Where have you found to be the most optimal mounting location for the tweeters? They've been doing OK in the doors behind the card, but I want to get them up above the dash. Looking for recommendations from those who've tried several configs.
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013   #386
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
Speaking of long thread, think one of my questions got lost in translation (that or my eyes start to cross going through all the pages). Where have you found to be the most optimal mounting location for the tweeters? They've been doing OK in the doors behind the card, but I want to get them up above the dash. Looking for recommendations from those who've tried several configs.
I prefer them in the A-pillars personally. I would try some velcro, double sided tape, hot glue gun, anything temporary and try some sample positions and heights/locations. Its amazing what difference a few inches can make (thats what she said!).
May be worth an attempt on the dash (I forget, do these have angle surface mounts for the tweets?) as well!
Old 01-18-2013   #387

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Yes they come with 45-degree angle mounts. Once my extra Wire arrives, I intend to give it a shot. I might just end up with pods when all is said and done
Old 01-18-2013   #388
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Well the angle mounts are kinda like pods....I always use them first to "test" places for the sake of ease. Definitely play around...but be sure to do the same to both sides when testing (not one at a time)
Only you can decide whats best for you.....Just enjoy the process if you can....chance to listen to music and play? Whats not to love right?
Old 01-18-2013   #389

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Well the angle mounts are kinda like pods....I always use them first to "test" places for the sake of ease. Definitely play around...but be sure to do the same to both sides when testing (not one at a time)
Only you can decide whats best for you.....Just enjoy the process if you can....chance to listen to music and play? Whats not to love right?
Got a good answer for that one: getting bitched out by the wife after you realize you've spent six hours tuning your Car on a day off lol. You're right though and I get it. Every Car is just a bit different. Time will tell...
Old 01-18-2013   #390
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Got a good answer for that one: getting bitched out by the wife after you realize you've spent six hours tuning your Car on a day off lol. You're right though and I get it. Every Car is just a bit different. Time will tell...
HAhahahahahaha!!!! YES sir! Been there done that! Funny, finally had a vehicle that was done, tuned, and happy with....didnt spend time on it at all.........then got a divorce? Go figure! I say take your six hours
J/K man...... there all different!

Good luck, and keep us posted as to what works best and why in your situation! May help the next guy!
Old 01-18-2013   #391

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
HAhahahahahaha!!!! YES sir! Been there done that! Funny, finally had a vehicle that was done, tuned, and happy with....didnt spend time on it at all.........then got a divorce? Go figure! I say take your six hours
J/K man...... there all different!

Good luck, and keep us posted as to what works best and why in your situation! May help the next guy!
Of course. I've turned into the ca.com MS62c ambassador.
Old 01-18-2013   #392
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Of course. I've turned into the ca.com MS62c ambassador.
LOL!!!! Awesome! I'm really glad there working out for you!
Old 01-18-2013   #393

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
LOL!!!! Awesome! I'm really glad there working out for you!
More so than I expected. At this price point, they're definitely hard chargers and it seems like diminishing returns until you get up to at least double the price. Hopefully I can eek out a little more from these guys by bridging my 36501. I think I can conservatively use the rated 120W bridged and remain passive after having spent a ton of time working on my knowledge of eq. Heck, even at 100 there should be a marked improvement.
Old 01-18-2013   #394
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I think the added Power will do wonders!
Old 01-18-2013   #395

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 J1Gold16 will become famous soon enoughJ1Gold16 will become famous soon enoughJ1Gold16 will become famous soon enoughJ1Gold16 will become famous soon enoughJ1Gold16 will become famous soon enoughJ1Gold16 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm running a pair of MS 62C's in the rear door and in the front door with the tweeters mounted in the factory location by the mirrors. I added a second pair of tweeters in the center vents to help with the imaging. It did wonders. Adding the Rockford 3Sixty.3 also helped a bit with the time delay.

Quote:
More so than I expected. At this price point, they're definitely hard chargers and it seems like diminishing returns until you get up to at least double the price. Hopefully I can eek out a little more from these guys by bridging my 36501. I think I can conservatively use the rated 120W bridged and remain passive after having spent a ton of time working on my knowledge of eq. Heck, even at 100 there should be a marked improvement.
I upgraded from 110 watts from an Alpine PDX V-9 to 168 watts from the Alpine PDX F-6 I am currently running. Those extra watts are definitely noticeable. The speakers love the extra power. I can now crank up tracks from Johnny Cash with out distortion from the midrange. I found that I have to lower the EQ around 200-400 hz to eliminate some distortion in order to play his songs. Not sure if it's just a bad recording. The EQ was the same on both setups.
J1Gold16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013   #396

DIYMA freshman

That's what I'm hoping for. That Eclipse has been a great amp so far, but hoping to swap it out for something more substantial by year's end. With all due luck, when the finances come back to my Car audio budget I'll be able to snag one of the Boston GT refurbs since they're basically at fire sale pricing. That or I'll save a little extra and go with a DLS A5 (A7 if I can find a good one used) or Zuki Hybrid 5-channel.
Old 01-18-2013   #397
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Boston Gt amps are a GREAT deal...I loved mine! I would also look at something like a RF T600.2 That would be perfect! Also an incredibly solid and powerful/versatile amp!
Old 01-18-2013   #398

DIYMA freshman

My gripe with RF amps comes down to their terminals. Had a P800.4 and lost thread contact with the tightening screw on the ground lead connector. The fitting is also just a smidge too small and won't accept my 0-4ga adapters.
Old 01-18-2013   #399
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Really? Hmmm....dont recall any Wire size issues but its been a while. There are no shortages of great amps at great prices! Thats the good and the bad
Old 01-18-2013   #400

DIYMA freshman

Trust me, I know the selection is crazy, especially when you start looking into the OS offerings. I've even tossed around the idea of going with a JBL GTS, but think the Zuki is going to end up winning out based on the impressions here. Plus it's kinda cool knowing each amp is effectively custom-made (and not far from here at that).

Either way, I've got until around October to make up my mind. Maybe the new Leviathan will have enough significant changes to sway me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement