JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012   #26

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyanalog View Post
The baskets also look similar to the rainbow slc 265 ng. I know that probably means nothing with regard to performance but its hard not to notice the similarity.
Too bad Bikin isn't running the klippel. It would be interesting to see some data.
kind of makes you wonder if they all share a similar build house. I'm not saying they do. I'm just saying they all do indeed look a lot alike in many regards.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 255 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Off the shelf baskets are much better nowadays then they used to be. There are a few well done ones. Not like back in the day anymore, when a company would get their own basket cast specifically for them.
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012   #28
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 250 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Here we go with baskets looking the same...

How many subwoofers use the same baskets? Are they all built at the same place?
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012   #29

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Here we go with baskets looking the same...

How many subwoofers use the same baskets? Are they all built at the same place?
You should know the answer to this question. It's a lot more "yes" than it is "no". Besides, look at the hole patterns and the not-so-hole patterns. I'm not saying the specific speakers here are mfg by the same source. Just agreeing that the baskets do indeed look similar. No conspiracy needed.

Sent from my iPhone. Pardon the grammar.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012   #30

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 caver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I put them in a friends car....also at a shop.

The type R's also go on the "deals" list.......Looks like the new type S is going to trump that in the $ performance ration as well!

Its really a good time to be buying mobile audio!!
Have you heard the Polks MM 6501's... if so, could you make a compairson.
caver50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the install manual for them, http://www.jbl.com/images/media/MS62C_SS_EN.pdf
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver50 View Post
Have you heard the Polks MM 6501's... if so, could you make a compairson.
Sorry, I dont have a lot of experience with the MM's......The only polks I have used in the last several years have been the SR components and subs.....
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
kind of makes you wonder if they all share a similar build house. I'm not saying they do. I'm just saying they all do indeed look a lot alike in many regards.
It would make sense seeing as how Harmon is probably not immune to lowering piece part cost. In this economy it would not be out of the question that they outsource stuff like baskets, spiders, etc. I've dealt with that for my entire career (not in car audio btw).
jonnyanalog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

The tweets really do sound great playing cymbals and snare. Very detailed and complement the mids well, which have a very smooth sound. Still finishing the install so I might add more to this.

Last edited by schmiddr2; 05-16-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 05-17-2012   #35

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 caver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
The tweets really do sound great playing cymbals and snare. Very detailed and complement the mids well, which have a very smooth sound. Still finishing the install so I might add more to this.
Please do, I just need a little more convincing for this to be my next set of comps.
caver50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 SUMO740 will become famous soon enoughSUMO740 will become famous soon enoughSUMO740 will become famous soon enoughSUMO740 will become famous soon enoughSUMO740 will become famous soon enoughSUMO740 will become famous soon enough

Are the tweeters sold by themselves?
SUMO740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 191 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
ANy new thoughts? Are you using the passives or active?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 127 audiorailroad will become famous soon enoughaudiorailroad will become famous soon enoughaudiorailroad will become famous soon enoughaudiorailroad will become famous soon enoughaudiorailroad will become famous soon enoughaudiorailroad will become famous soon enough

inquiring minds want to know.
audiorailroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

no joke.
Based on what I have read I might just pull the trigger. Seems for the price they cannot be beat. Hell if I don't like them they will go in my wifes van. LOL
Old 05-21-2012   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

I'm using a 9887. I haven't had a lot of time to do the final install of the tweets. Nor have I done any tuning. Right now I feel the mids have some issue I need to address. Sometimes it seems they just make a lot of noise and I can't necessarily make out the instruments very well. BUT, this is not in any way my final thoughts on them. I haven't even tinkered with slopes, T/A, or crossover points. Right now at 3.2KHz.

BTW, I called SE to see if I could buy another set because they had the BYGO half off sale. They were $200 so I figured hell I'll take a second set for $100, but no. They raised the price back up to $250 and he wouldn't let me because I bought before the deal had started.

Last edited by schmiddr2; 05-21-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 05-21-2012   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 191 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

If you call sonic, you can get a set of these for 250 and a second for 125 right now.

Thats below dealer cost.

$375 shipped for two sets!

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Buy JBL MS62C 61/2 component system for $169.95
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012   #43

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 abduljakul will become famous soon enoughabduljakul will become famous soon enoughabduljakul will become famous soon enoughabduljakul will become famous soon enoughabduljakul will become famous soon enoughabduljakul will become famous soon enough

can anyone compare this to cwm6?
abduljakul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Ebay has you beat by $2!!!
Old 05-26-2012   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm using a 9887. I haven't had a lot of time to do the final install of the tweets. Nor have I done any tuning. Right now I feel the mids have some issue I need to address. Sometimes it seems they just make a lot of noise and I can't necessarily make out the instruments very well. BUT, this is not in any way my final thoughts on them. I haven't even tinkered with slopes, T/A, or crossover points. Right now at 3.2KHz.

BTW, I called SE to see if I could buy another set because they had the BYGO half off sale. They were $200 so I figured hell I'll take a second set for $100, but no. They raised the price back up to $250 and he wouldn't let me because I bought before the deal had started.
It's been about a week schmidd, Whats the deal?

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."

Last edited by thomasluke; 05-27-2012 at 10:30 AM..
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

yeah, ^^ what he said

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

1999 Accord sedan. Tweets on-axis on A-pillars. Mids in OEM location in well sealed door with .36" HDPE ring.

Well I am super impressed with them. Very transparent. I find the mids need to be crossed low (63Hz 24db) to get an accurate representation of the music and to blend with the sub, but since I have little experience with installing/tuning SQ setups this might just be what I prefer. The tweeters sound great at 2.5KHz 24db. They really draw the stage up and they don't seemed stressed with 75W available.

Previously I mentioned, "I feel the mids have some issue I need to address. Sometimes it seems they just make a lot of noise", well that has been improved with T/A and lowering the crossover point. So far I have only EQ'd down the top end to -1. I have tried many other EQ settings but the comp set sounds pretty natural as they are, even on-axis tweets.

I plan to do some more listening/tuning and get a second opinion from some experienced people. Just been really busy.
Old 05-29-2012   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

awesome, that's good stuff to hear. 75watts to your mids too? and I assume your mids are low passed at 2.5khz? any idea what the crossover point is on the passives?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

75W to each speaker.

Bandpassed, yes.

No clue on passives. I will hook them up sometime, but not sure how close I can get at guessing the xover point/slope.
Old 06-01-2012   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 165 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to derail a bit, but these caught my eye as well: jbl P660C. Look beefy, fairly low price... Is Harman hitting a nail on the head with these budget friendly options?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement