JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 26 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013   #626
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 145 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Just run them. The crossover has enough tweeter adjustments to make them worth using. Time alignment will only affect the mids so put the tweets where they sound best.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013   #627

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 SkipNJ will become famous soon enoughSkipNJ will become famous soon enoughSkipNJ will become famous soon enoughSkipNJ will become famous soon enoughSkipNJ will become famous soon enoughSkipNJ will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

I got these installed Wednesday, set my gains and ran the auto eq and TA on my headunit yesterday. Inital thoughts: sounds like a good 2 way set. Midbass is what you would expect for a system with no subwoofer. I have them crossed at 63hz and 2.5khz 24db/oct right now. I don't have my doors sealed or deadened and midbass is superior to what I have had in the past: kicker SS65.2 and CDT classics. The kickers were a little clearer I think but I haven't played with phase or anything, and these aren't even broken in yet.

2007 Forester XT. DEH-80PRS, PPI P900.5, JBL MS-62 installed. JBL GTO804 fiberglass install and door treatments next
SkipNJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013   #628

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 lanc-xpr will become famous soon enoughlanc-xpr will become famous soon enoughlanc-xpr will become famous soon enoughlanc-xpr will become famous soon enoughlanc-xpr will become famous soon enoughlanc-xpr will become famous soon enough

Hi guys!
Having a problem with mid bass speakers!!
Tweetters is very very good with sharp sound- like it! but midbass is ... hollow and dont have attack!
system is:
HU: JVC KW-AV71BT
amp: alpine pdx f4
wires: good one KLOTZ LY225B for speakers and KLOTZ MC5000
a friend of mine told me what the only my hope is to get DSP like alpine H700+RUX700 or to change mid.
before this install i have:
infinity cappa 60.9+alpine117+h100+pdx f4, it was active setup.

guide me plz)
lanc-xpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013   #629
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 145 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

How are the speakers setup? The area where they are installed deadened? Crossover points? Have you checked the wiring for proper phase? Have you tried reversing phase on one mid?
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013   #630

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 SeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzcar View Post
I ordered a set of MS-62c's back around march. Got them installed sometime around june. Currently only running them unamped and passive, but they still sound really really good in may fully deadened doors. I can actually feel kickbass.

Well about a week ago I noticed the drivers side woofer was not putting out sound I painstakingly dissambled my doors (not easy with all my deadener) and found that the solder connection where the Wire on the Speaker (tinsel lead?) attaches to the terminal block was not getting contact even though it appeared to be soldered well. Resoldered the connection and it was back up and booming. Did not even finish my first drive with it working again when I noticed the passenger side woofer is no longer working

Great sounding speakers... piss poor workmanship.

Figured I would add to this again as my last reply was about the drivers side woofer that needed to be re-solder behind the terminal where the tinsel leads connect. Now my passenger door woofer needed the same thing & so I wanted to add this in here so others can be aware of this issue & know what to fix if there MS woofers stop working!
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013   #631

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 kkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanc-xpr View Post
Hi guys!
Having a problem with mid bass speakers!!
Tweetters is very very good with sharp sound- like it! but midbass is ... hollow and dont have attack!
system is:
HU: JVC KW-AV71BT
amp: alpine pdx f4
wires: good one KLOTZ LY225B for speakers and KLOTZ MC5000
a friend of mine told me what the only my hope is to get DSP like alpine H700+RUX700 or to change mid.
before this install i have:
infinity cappa 60.9+alpine117+h100+pdx f4, it was active setup.

guide me plz)
Try running them passively. Are your doors sealed and deadened?

www.SparksAI.com
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service
DIYMA members receive 10% off their entire order with Code: DIYMA10
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013   #632

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 djPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enough

Have these on order, looking forward to getting them hooked up!
djPerfectTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013   #633

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 djPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enoughdjPerfectTrip will become famous soon enough

Got these in my Car yesterday. I like them. As for now, they are just being powered off of the stock head unit. I really need to get an amp on them because if I turn them up, they start to distort. Compared to the stock speakers they are definitely a lot cleaner and smoother sounding though. Highs are very pronounced but not fatiguing at all. Bass was actually a bit better on the stock speakers, but I believe they were 7" mids. I imagine after a bit of break in they'll start to bump a little more, but they are very clean from top to bottom. It makes me want to get another pair for the rears. At this time I just have it faded to the front, I think I prefer having rears as well tho. We'll see what happens when I get an amp on them and also a sub, if I still feel I'm needing more then I'll get the rears, but for now I think I'll be happy with just the fronts.
Old 10-03-2013   #634

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 Pillow will become famous soon enoughPillow will become famous soon enoughPillow will become famous soon enoughPillow will become famous soon enoughPillow will become famous soon enoughPillow will become famous soon enough

backfill is overrated.

Most people who sit in my Car cannot tell the rears are gone at all. Its all in the front staging! Many audiophiles have been impressed by the MS set so far.

Right now I am still off Bose factory amplification and added a 2" full range Peerless center channel, and am very happy. The PPI 900.4 may never get installed.

Still chasing a rattle in the passenger door though...

We live for the music!
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013   #635

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
backfill is overrated.
You are probably right. The only passenger I pretty much ever have in the back is my daughter and I usually have it faded to the front anyways when she's watching cartoons in the back. I dunno, I have been listening to it faded to the front since I got the Car to try to get used to it, but I kind of prefer the 'fullness' of the sound in the vehicle. But, like I said, once I get an amp and a sub in there it will probably make up for it and I'll be satisfied...hopefully because I don't want to spend that extra cash :P
Old 10-04-2013   #636

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 SeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enough

Exclamation Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post
Got these in my Car yesterday. I like them. As for now, they are just being powered off of the stock head unit. I really need to get an amp on them because if I turn them up, they start to distort. Compared to the stock speakers they are definitely a lot cleaner and smoother sounding though. Highs are very pronounced but not fatiguing at all. Bass was actually a bit better on the stock speakers, but I believe they were 7" mids. I imagine after a bit of break in they'll start to bump a little more, but they are very clean from top to bottom. It makes me want to get another pair for the rears. At this time I just have it faded to the front, I think I prefer having rears as well tho. We'll see what happens when I get an amp on them and also a sub, if I still feel I'm needing more then I'll get the rears, but for now I think I'll be happy with just the fronts.

I also hooked this set up to the radio & they sounded just ok, but I knew they would sound different amped up & doors deadened & those are a MUST DO!.

First, deaden ur doors to the fullest! If u've never done this b4 then just search on here & u will find all the "how to" articles that u need even if u have zero experience with this step. When done the sound quality will go up!!

Second, Ditch the stock head unit. Nothing special needed as I switched out my 100 yr old Alpine for the Pioneer 80PRS & the sound quality went up again!!

Third, Amp em up! There 4ohms at 80rms so do the math when shopping for an amp & just ask if u need added help. Remember to set ur gains properly & theres plenty of "how to" articles on this here as well!!

When done, this will be a night & day difference that u wont believe!! Just remember not to cut corners & take ur time so u don't over think this all.
Good luck & let us know how things go!!

SeniorXJ
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013   #637

DIYMA freshman

^^^I'm going with the JBL GTO-5EZ and am going to bridge the front channels. I was thinking about deadening the doors, but it'll probably have to wait for a bit. As far as the stock head unit, it's going to stay for now. I have a 2013 VW Tiguan and I'm happy with it actually. Maybe in a couple years I'll end up swapping it out instead of updating the map, but I kinda like how everything is on it. I definitely wouldn't mind getting a different HU for a better EQ and xovers, just don't want to spend the money on it right now. I appreciate the suggestions tho =^)
Old 10-04-2013   #638
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 309 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Also keep in mind that if you are happy with the head unit, but would like better crossover and EQ, you can always add a DSP.
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013   #639

DIYMA freshman

^^^True, I've been thinking about that as well as kind of a 'replacement' for getting a different head unit. It'd be a cheaper alternative too.
Old 10-04-2013   #640

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 pjf1fan will become famous soon enoughpjf1fan will become famous soon enoughpjf1fan will become famous soon enoughpjf1fan will become famous soon enoughpjf1fan will become famous soon enoughpjf1fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
^^^...I have a 2013 VW Tiguan and I'm happy with it actually. Maybe in a couple years I'll end up swapping it out instead of updating the map, but I kinda like how everything is on it. I definitely wouldn't mind getting a different HU for a better EQ and xovers, just don't want to spend the money on it right now. I appreciate the suggestions tho =^)
The Premium sound head units in the 2013 VWs are quite excellent really. I would definitely keep it there, maybe add a JBL MS8 sound processor to take the sound up a couple notches. The MS8 includes an 8-channel amplifier too, look into it. As for sound deadening, the VW door panels are very rigid but a wood trim ring under the woofer with one covering of a 12" x 12" dampening material will make a big difference.
pjf1fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #641

DIYMA freshman

^^^Good to know, thank ya.
Old 10-08-2013   #642
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
^^^Good to know, thank ya.
I have the 3ez hooked up on my MS62's and its plenty of Power for them, amp and the MS12 sub are for sale if you're interested. I can do both for less than you would pay for a 5ez.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013   #643

DIYMA freshman

^^^for a sub I'm trying to keep the box as small as possible. That would be a bit bigger than I would want. Thanks tho~
Old 10-08-2013   #644

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Now that these are breaking in a bit, the lows are coming out quite a bit more. I can't wait to get an amp on these things, I can already tell they are great speakers, more Power is going to really make them shine.
Old 10-09-2013   #645
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
more Power is going to really make them shine.
Sounds like something Tim Allen would say
But I agree with you, it usually does.
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013   #646

DIYMA freshman

^^^ha ha, I just watched a couple of his stand ups not too long ago. Funny stuff =^)
Old 10-19-2013   #647

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enough

Red face Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Hi all..newbie here. Im searching for a good component set right now. Ive been eyeing jbl p660 before, but today i found this set instead. Just now i found another similar set like ms-62c at my hometown, it is ms-69c with Power rated at 330w. Designed by harman brazil, assembled in P.R.C. The seller told me that unit is original..but i cant find any info about ms-69c anywhere.
Another question, how to know that ur buying original jbl set from ebay or amazon?
dun_kurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013   #648
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun_kurt View Post
Hi all..newbie here. Im searching for a good component set right now. Ive been eyeing jbl p660 before, but today i found this set instead. Just now i found another similar set like ms-62c at my hometown, it is ms-69c with Power rated at 330w. Designed by harman brazil, assembled in P.R.C. The seller told me that unit is original..but i cant find any info about ms-69c anywhere.
Another question, how to know that ur buying original jbl set from ebay or amazon?
is it a 6.5" mid or a 6x9? never heard of the ms69 but I wished they had made one since I had a challenger that had stock 6x9's in the front doors. I'm not sure about that Power rating either, seems very high for rms even is it was 165 watts per side.

JBL makes some stuff elsewhere we don't see in the USA, I saw a P653 kit on ebay that was similar to the P660 but added a 3" midrange and a different passive crossover.
Old 10-19-2013   #649

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enoughdun_kurt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
is it a 6.5" mid or a 6x9? never heard of the ms69 but I wished they had made one since I had a challenger that had stock 6x9's in the front doors. I'm not sure about that Power rating either, seems very high for rms even is it was 165 watts per side.

JBL makes some stuff elsewhere we don't see in the USA, I saw a P653 kit on ebay that was similar to the P660 but added a 3" midrange and a different passive crossover.
its 6.5 mid, weird right? i think it is 330 peak, not rms. but still..cant find ms-69c on google too. the seller quote me rm1100(usd 348) with installation
dun_kurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013   #650
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

That is strange, I kinda wish I had went with the P660's that I had been wanting but I got talked in to the MS62 and the tweet was a little bright for me. I like very laid back tweeters though so they are probably perfect for most people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement