JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Sorry to derail a bit, but these caught my eye as well: jbl P660C. Look beefy, fairly low price... Is Harman hitting a nail on the head with these budget friendly options?
Short answer? YES!

The P series comps have been around for a while and been great producers at the price! Hell.....even the P coaxials are great! I ran a set of the 4"s on my dash with 8s in the doors with fantastic results.....better processing at the time and it would have been more then adequate!

Granted.....we all know I am/have been a jbl fan (extreme) but when you buy something from them 99.9% of the time your getting your moneys worth and then some. They make quality items across the market spectrum! I find the Power series comps to be very natural sounding and find the tweeter to be the one to really steal the show (on axis).....not that the mids are a joke! The can also take a lot of power and give a lot of clean quality sound in return.
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

Just to fan the JBL flames a bit and sort of derail the thread; I wonder how those new GTO EZ amps are? THey seem like they might be a good match powerwise to these comps.
jonnyanalog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 jedc will become famous soon enoughjedc will become famous soon enoughjedc will become famous soon enoughjedc will become famous soon enoughjedc will become famous soon enoughjedc will become famous soon enough

Has anyone compared the P660C with the MS-62C? I'm really thinking hard about getting the MS-62C but not sure because of the titanium tweeter. The price difference between the two isn't that much so it's tough to decide. Also the power series comps always seem to get rave reviews and I've always been partial to silk dome tweeters. I'm just wondering if the MS woofer is leaps and bounds better sounding than the P660C woofer, and could justify me possibly not using the titanium tweeter from the set if it didn't suit my ears.

Alpine 9887, Clarion DPX-2251
jedc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

these or the imagines?

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 238 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

The 608s are 1/2 off in the JBL store now. $310 shipped.

C608GTi MKII | 6-1/2" (160mm) 2-way component system | JBL US

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #56

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 karlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enough

anyone know the crossover point on the ms62c? also do the ms62c and ms52c use the same crossover? Thanks
karlk11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 111 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlk11 View Post
anyone know the crossover point on the ms62c? also do the ms62c and ms52c use the same crossover? Thanks
Can you get t/s parameters for these speakers? It would be easier. One rule of thumb it seems is that the high pass frequency should be no lower than the resonance frequency of the speaker. Another helpful measure is the one way xmax excursion. If the modeling software predicts that the speaker will exceed its xmax excursion with say 50watts of power (or whatever power that you will provide) below a certain frequency, then your high pass frequency should be at or higher than that frequency. My comment is just based on my observations of what others have posted here previously. I hope someone else could comment.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using 2KHz H/LP now. Since the tweets make sounds that are very precise and "real" it adds a lot to the overall sound.

Still haven't plugged in the passives.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #59

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 karlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enoughkarlk11 will become famous soon enough

sorry, I'm looking for the manufacturer's passive crossover points. I'm thinking of running these as a mid in the kick panel with the tweets in the sail panel, but there are other options out there, and I'm trying to feel out all of my options. Thanks again.
karlk11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Well, just wanted to add a little bit to the thread about how awesome the new JBL MS-62C comps are. It took me a while to get new comps as I was waiting for the funds, but was finally able to get these at a great price. I have been wanting jbl comps for a long time so finally decided now was the time.

So here are my impressions:
These comps are fantastic! lol yes i will get into more detail.
The report on how well the tweeters play cymbals is very accurate. They have great shimmer and really make snare drums come to life! I listen to a lot or rock/metal so the snare drum is very important. I find the midrange to be lively but not too much in your face that its harsh. vocals are smooth and both female and male vocals sound very accurate and natural. The midbass isn't the best i have heard but it definately holds its own. digs fairly deep for a 6.5" and makes bass guitar really come to life. you can hear the finger pluck on the bass string which is nice to hear instead of just a bass sound. they play fast enough to keep up with lamb of gods insanely fast kick drum and is lively enough to blend well with the inverted titanium tweeter.

speaking of the inverted dome tweeter. I found these do best off axis firing across the windshield. with no time alignment the stage is wide, deep, and for the most part centered. drums stay on top of the dash where they should be. on axis i lost depth and a center stage without time alignment.

as a summary, i was looking for a comp set that would put a smile on my face and these do it every time with all types of music. ive listened to country, rock, blues, jazz, and rap. lively enough to reproduce the live performance feel but not too much to hurt your ears. they get loud and stay clear and have fantastic detail...especially for the very affordable price. these are indeed my favorite comp set I have ever had!

Fantastic set! I LOVE THEM!

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Well, just wanted to add a little bit to the thread about how awesome the new JBL MS-62C comps are. It took me a while to get new comps as I was waiting for the funds, but was finally able to get these at a great price. I have been wanting jbl comps for a long time so finally decided now was the time.

The report on how well the tweeters play cymbals is very accurate. They have great shimmer and really make snare drums come to life! I listen to a lot or rock/metal so the snare drum is very important. I find the midrange to be lively but not too much in your face that its harsh. vocals are smooth and both female and male vocals sound very accurate and natural. The midbass isn't the best i have heard but it definately holds its own. digs fairly deep for a 6.5" and makes bass guitar really come to life. you can hear the finger pluck on the bass string which is nice to hear instead of just a bass sound. they play fast enough to keep up with lamb of gods insanely fast kick drum and is lively enough to blend well with the inverted titanium tweeter.

speaking of the inverted dome tweeter. I found these do best off axis firing across the windshield. with no time alignment the stage is wide, deep, and for the most part centered. drums stay on top of the dash where they should be. on axis i lost depth and a center stage without time alignment.

as a summary, i was looking for a comp set that would put a smile on my face and these do it every time with all types of music. ive listened to country, rock, blues, jazz, and rap. lively enough to reproduce the live performance feel but not too much to hurt your ears. they get loud and stay clear and have fantastic detail...especially for the very affordable price. these are indeed my favorite comp set I have ever had!

Thank you for adding all of that! Well said! So glad you are enjoying them. I dont see any set comparing for the $ or even close! I'm sure deadening/tuning will allow a little more in the midbass range but like anything you have to take into account the whole system......... Seriously.....I am REALLY glad your happy with them....coming from the rainbow's thats HIGH praise!
Again thanks for taking the time to share with such detail! (lamb of god is a tough act to follow
Old 07-04-2012   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

and to clarify, they don't lack in midbass, but if i had to find one complaint...and its not really a complaint, but the midbass could be a tad cleaner? and by a tad i mean just a little bit, a very little bit. but tuning could fix that i suppose. and im just searching for something bad to say...there isn't really anything. and lamb of god is the shizz

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 07-05-2012   #63

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 meantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enough

how will these compare to massive audio ck6v?
meantaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012   #64

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 meantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enough

bump
meantaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post

Are you using the passives?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012   #66

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 btnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to btnh47

these sound promising. I just ordered these to see if I end up liking these more than the HAT Imagine set.

HU: Kenwood KDC x955 / Front: HAT imagine I61-2 / Amp: Nx5 Massive audio / Subs: 2 IDQv3 12"
btnh47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Are you using the passives?
Pretty sure he is running active on them.........Actually about 99% sure thats what he had said to me?
Old 07-07-2012   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh47 View Post
these sound promising. I just ordered these to see if I end up liking these more than the HAT Imagine set.

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh47 View Post
If you are looking for midbass (like myself, I am planning on using only the Imagine I6 woofer) then I would be very surprised if the JBL set sounds better.

The factory spec for the MS-62c lists a frequency response starting at 60Hz with no db range qualification or frequency response graph.

For example, a Scanspeak woofer on Madisound lists a frequency response of 37 to 5000 Hz. Yet you look at the frequency response graph and it shows 37Hz to be 8db lower than the midrange frequencies. Basically the 37Hz number is for marketing purposes and does not have a direct relationship to the speaker's ability to play low frequencies.

Looking at the HAT I6, its frequency response is listed as 50Hz to 22Khz =/- 3db. Also, HAT actually provided a frequency response graph that shows 50Hz to be flat with respect to the midrange frequencies and at 40Hz, down only 3db.
On paper, this is very impressive.
How they compare in real world use is another story and involves many variables.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
If you are looking for midbass (like myself, I am planning on using only the Imagine I6 woofer) then I would be very surprised if the JBL set sounds better.

The factory spec for the MS-62c lists a frequency response starting at 60Hz with no db range qualification or frequency response graph.

For example, a Scanspeak woofer on Madisound lists a frequency response of 37 to 5000 Hz. Yet you look at the frequency response graph and it shows 37Hz to be 8db lower than the midrange frequencies. Basically the 37Hz number is for marketing purposes and does not have a direct relationship to the speaker's ability to play low frequencies.

Looking at the HAT I6, its frequency response is listed as 50Hz to 22Khz =/- 3db. Also, HAT actually provided a frequency response graph that shows 50Hz to be flat with respect to the midrange frequencies and at 40Hz, down only 3db.
On paper, this is very impressive.
How they compare in real world use is another story and involves many variables.
I'm sure JBL would be willing to WRITE whatever would make you and others feel better on paper? Its just not how they roll! I'll take proof in the pudding over spec sheets ALL DAY LONG! Not a knock to the Hat's we all know they are great. If your gonna just go #s your going to short yourself a LOT! (I do know what you meant.....just thought it was funny)
One thing you need to remember with a lot of major corps is that when they list things like Freq cutoffs etc....Its a warranty safety thing. Think about how accessible JBL is and at the cost of the MS how many will be sold? Gotta protect the experience
Old 07-13-2012   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Tyroneshoes...yes im running them active. that's how my system was set up when i got them and i didn't want to pull the dash to switch my 9887 off of active mode. Avanti, the midbass on the jbl's are very nice. bass guitar sounds frickin awesome on them. they dig plenty deep to blend very well with my sub. i have them crossed at 63hz and have tried 50hz. they really do well.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 07-13-2012   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

meantaco...ive owned the massive audio comps. and while i liked them very much, i would choose the jbl's over them any day of the week. the reproduce the music much more realistically than the massive's and do so cleaner when you turn it up. more detail, better staging with no time alignment, and overall more fun to listen to.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 07-13-2012   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Yep. They are relatively shallow so I just was worried that they would have good enough suspension travel down to 63Hz, but they do.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cflores3 will become famous soon enoughcflores3 will become famous soon enoughcflores3 will become famous soon enoughcflores3 will become famous soon enoughcflores3 will become famous soon enoughcflores3 will become famous soon enough

nice review
cflores3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 153 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to these reviews, I had to pick up a set for my daily driver install. Looking forward to trying them out!

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement