JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

let us know how you like them chithead

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 153 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I sure will. Found some amps tonight that should make for a decent install. Some Fosgate Punch 60.2 - hopefully that provides enough juice for these power hungry beasts.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 135 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

gotta give these a listen, thanks for the reviews.
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 135 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

Slighly off topic. I was researching this speaker and noticed a few people use this song as a demo somg. Does any know what song this is, its starts at 5:49 YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012   #80

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 jamiebosco will become famous soon enoughjamiebosco will become famous soon enoughjamiebosco will become famous soon enoughjamiebosco will become famous soon enoughjamiebosco will become famous soon enoughjamiebosco will become famous soon enough

pretty sure it's 'Bass I Love You'
jamiebosco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012   #81
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 282 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

MS-10SD4 SLIM | 10" 4-ohm dual voice-coil subwoofer | JBL US

Not the biggest Xmax driver but cool nonetheless

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012   #82

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 meantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enoughmeantaco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
let us know how you like them chithead
overall how do you like the mid bass mid range of the components(comparing them with massive audio ck6v)? I haven't made up my mind on what component to buy! Do they lack Midrange midbass? By the way what sub are you running? thinking about buying a Polk Audio MM1040.
meantaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 153 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

I'll definitely let you know once I get to listen to them. I had the Massive Audio CK6 before, so I can compare those for you.

That Polk subwoofer is nice, heard some very good reviews about it. I plan on using a 10" Boston G5 subwoofer.

Old 08-02-2012   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meantaco View Post
overall how do you like the mid bass mid range of the components(comparing them with massive audio ck6v)? I haven't made up my mind on what component to buy! Do they lack Midrange midbass? By the way what sub are you running? thinking about buying a Polk Audio MM1040.
Well, the massive audio had some stellar mid bass, but it even though it might pump out more than the jbl's, the jbl's are much much cleaner at it and are not slouches. the midrange is excellent. I particularly like the sound of an electric guitar out of these much better than anything else i ever had. they reproduce it very well imo. I really think they are much much better than the massive's and I really liked those comps. but these just outperform them in every way. Like I said, they may not pump out the gobs of mid bass that the massives did, but they are much cleaner and have great snap, much better snap than the massives.

on bass guitar you hear the string, you can really feel the plug and realistic sound of the note versus just hearing a bass sound. Im running and FI audio Q12 sub in a ported box made my niebur3 and it frickin rocks! In fact, his exact words about it were..."your sub rocks, this is stupid" lol

go for the jbl's you won't be disappointed, at least i don't think you will be.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-02-2012   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Well, the massive audio had some stellar mid bass, but it even though it might pump out more than the jbl's, the jbl's are much much cleaner at it and are not slouches. the midrange is excellent. I particularly like the sound of an electric guitar out of these much better than anything else i ever had. they reproduce it very well imo. I really think they are much much better than the massive's and I really liked those comps. but these just outperform them in every way. Like I said, they may not pump out the gobs of mid bass that the massives did, but they are much cleaner and have great snap, much better snap than the massives.

on bass guitar you hear the string, you can really feel the plug and realistic sound of the note versus just hearing a bass sound. Im running and FI audio Q12 sub in a ported box made my niebur3 and it frickin rocks! In fact, his exact words about it were..."your sub rocks, this is stupid" lol

go for the jbl's you won't be disappointed, at least i don't think you will be.

SO GLAD TO HEAR!!!! Yay for Jerry on the box!!!! A well designed system (sub/midbass blend) and these comps will leave zero to be desired imo......especially when you take into account the minimal investment! Just me though?
In fact, I find a sub that is capable and box/tuning capable the sub taking over some of that region helps with overall impact! Think about it?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

well i agree with this fact. if i get what you are referring to. such as my sub lp at 80 and my mb hp at 63. it feel it does really well in the impact department. I still can't find enough good things about the box jerry built for me. the sub came to life and puts a smile on my face every time. it's unbelievable.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-02-2012   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
MS-10SD4 SLIM | 10" 4-ohm dual voice-coil subwoofer | JBL US

Not the biggest Xmax driver but cool nonetheless

Kelvin
Im curious what those ms subs sound like...

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-02-2012   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

There is a review of the MS 12" on TalkAudio.uk

Old 08-03-2012   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
link please

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

JBL MS12SD2 12 Inch Subwoofer - talkaudio.co.uk

Old 08-03-2012   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 154 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Aww, maaaan!.....
For a moment, I thought aww cool an MS-12 processor!

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 111 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

The guy who writes TalkAudio reviews says HAT Unity sounds better, but the relationship between this improvement and price increase is on logarithmic scale.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012   #93

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 gravel is on a distinguished roadgravel is on a distinguished roadgravel is on a distinguished roadgravel is on a distinguished roadgravel is on a distinguished road

Has anyone run the passives? I'm thinking of getting a set of the 62s for my jeep grand Cherokee. They'd be running on a pdx v9, either active using the amps crossovers or passive with the amp bridged, so 200 watts a side. Never tuned anything active before, little reluctant cause I'm sure I could find a way to smoke the tweeters, lol..
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I run the tweets at 2KHz 24db with about 70W of available power. I don't listen at max volume a lot, but loud enough to test their durability and they are holding up.

I still haven't hooked up the passives.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012   #95

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Based on your great review and a few others, I ordered a set of these speakers. I plan on pairing them up with a Soundstream 4.760 and a pair of CDT ES-02 mid/tweeters, Pioneer 80PRS, JL Audio W1V2 12 and a Kenwood 1021 amp. Hopefully, after a litle tuning, I will have what I am after.

What freq/slope's do you have the 6.5" crossed over? How far away did you mount the tweeter from them?

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-06-2012 at 06:20 PM..
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

63Hz-2KHz. No more than 18", I think.

I doubt you need the ES-02. They play very well as a 2way.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
Old 08-06-2012   #97

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
63Hz-2KHz. No more than 18", I think.

I doubt you need the ES-02. They play very well as a 2way.
You may be right about the ES-02. I was already planning on getting a set, but CDT was running a special on the AF-256/020 Accent Kit for $149 and I couldn't pass it up.

I planned to run the 6.5" in the door from 60-250 Hz or so and the ES-02 from 250 up. I was going to mount the 02 about 3" above the 6.5, but use a pod and point them toward the driver. That way, they won't be blocked by my legs. Then, mount the jbl tweeters on the sail panels, facing each other. I figured I would play with the crossover settings to see what works best. I've installed some nice stereos before, but never anything that I was impressed with enough to show off. I'm hoping I will do a better job this time.

Have you played with crossover slopes much? Can you tell a much difference between 12 and 24 db?

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-07-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Old 08-06-2012   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

BTW, my door is sealed up pretty well and it helps a lot.

My stint with active crossovers is short and during that time I have not had a great place to sit and tune. So I have not experimented a lot with slopes, just xover points. There is bountiful information on slopes here, and should give you some insight for tuning. Every car will have a different reaction to slopes anyway so I would not worry too much about what others use.

Old 08-07-2012   #99
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
BTW, my door is sealed up pretty well and it helps a lot.

My stint with active crossovers is short and during that time I have not had a great place to sit and tune. So I have not experimented a lot with slopes, just xover points. There is bountiful information on slopes here, and should give you some insight for tuning. Every car will have a different reaction to slopes anyway so I would not worry too much about what others use.
What is the fs of these tweeters?

2k seems very low for an inverted metal dome.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012   #100

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
What is the fs of these tweeters?

2k seems very low for an inverted metal dome.
I have looked for the x-over point of the factory jbl settings but I haven't found it yet.

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-07-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement