JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012   #101
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 224 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Which car CDT? If you can I'd run the tweeter in the sails on axis. The ES-02 as near to the tweeter as you can, off axis doesn't matter here as long as you keep the crossover between the two to 3-3.3kHz/24dB. And then highpass the ES-02 no lower than 800-1kHz/24dB. I know it says it can run lower, I know people run it lower, but that comes at the expense of output and/or clarity.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012   #102

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Which car CDT? If you can I'd run the tweeter in the sails on axis. The ES-02 as near to the tweeter as you can, off axis doesn't matter here as long as you keep the crossover between the two to 3-3.3kHz/24dB. And then highpass the ES-02 no lower than 800-1kHz/24dB. I know it says it can run lower, I know people run it lower, but that comes at the expense of output and/or clarity.
don't laugh. It's my daily driver. A 1995 Camry. It's old, but it's reliable and paid for.

Are you saying to run the ES-02 in the sails? I was concerned about it not blending and leaving a hole in the soundstage if I move it too far from the mid/bass. Another issue is that it needs a few cubic inches of space behind it and the sail wouldn't provide that unless I mount the pod up there. I guess if I cross it over higher, it won't need much.

For crossover setup, the headunit has the options below (copied from the manual). I could also use the crossovers on the amp, but it only has 12 db slopes.

5 Turn M.C. to select the cut-off frequency
(crossover frequency) of the selected
speaker unit (filter).
Low LPF: 25—31.5—40—50—63—80—100
—125—160—200—250 (Hz)
Mid HPF: 25—31.5—40—50—63—80—100
—125—160—200—250 (Hz)
Mid LPF: 1.25k—1.6k—2k—2.5k—3.15k—
4k—5k—6.3k—8k—10k—12.5k (Hz)
HighHPF: 1.25k—1.6k—2k—2.5k—3.15k—
4k—5k—6.3k—8k—10k—12.5k (Hz)
6 Turn LEVER to adjust the level of the selected
speaker unit (filter).
±0dB to –24dB is displayed as the level is increased
or decreased.
+6dB to –24dB is displayed as the level is increased
or decreased, only if you have selected
Low LPF.
7 Press /DISP to display the upper tier.
8 Use M.C. to select NW 3.
Refer to Introduction of audio adjustments on
page 20.
9 Turn LEVER to select the slope of the selected
speaker unit (filter).
Low LPF: –36— –30—–24— –18— –12 (dB/
oct.)
Mid HPF: –24— –18— –12— –6—Pass (0)
(dB/oct.)
Mid LPF: –24— –18— –12—–6—Pass (0)
(dB/oct.)
HighHPF: –24—–18— –12—–6 (dB/oct.)

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-07-2012 at 04:36 PM..
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 192 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

I really dont think the cdt will add anything and you should just keep it from 80-2.5 on the mids and 2.5 or 3.15 up 2 way.

I really have a feeling this tweeter isnt meant to crossover any lower. The cdt mid/tweet seems like an unnecessary addition.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012   #104
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the Fs. But I am using 24db slopes. So if the JBL passive is 2.5-3.15KHz 12db then it's about the same in terms of F3.

I am not advising a crossover point, just stating my experience. I have zero problems with them at that point at high volumes, but I'm not going for max output. At most 3/4 volume.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012   #105

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. I'll try it w/o the CDT tweeter first. Maybe I'll experiment withe them as an upstage setup where they are mounted on top of the center of the dash.

AF 256/020 Accent Fill
Old 08-11-2012   #106

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Mindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enough

I wonder if any od the big box stores sell the JBL's. Seems like nobody in the phoenix area sells anything I want anymore! Pretty sad considering this was once the home of car audio
Mindcrime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012   #107

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
I wonder if any od the big box stores sell the JBL's. Seems like nobody in the phoenix area sells anything I want anymore! Pretty sad considering this was once the home of car audio
I looked around several places like, Fry's, Best Buy, etc to audition these JBL's, as well as the Pioneer 80-PRS. The stores didn't carry either one.
Old 08-12-2012   #108

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Mindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enoughMindcrime will become famous soon enough

Audio Express sells them, I called to see if they had any...sure enough, so I ask the price before heading down......I about fell over and had to ask if he was quoting the right set.... 399.99
Old 08-12-2012   #109

DIYMA Novice

I bought a set 2 weeks ago from ebay. It was a buy it now for $175 with free shipping. I believe it was from audio-club. It was packed well and the box looked like new when I got it. They also added a 2 year warrany.

Here are some current listings.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...kw=JBL+MS-62C+

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-12-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Old 08-13-2012   #110
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

man these things look good!! any body else wanna chime on this set?
optimaprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012   #111

DIYMA Novice

I am resisting the urge! Lol
Old 08-13-2012   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

ya i am gonna pull the plug on them this weekend if i dont fond anything else.
Old 08-13-2012   #113
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 152 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Got mine in and have been listening on my desk for a few days now. I can see what everyone is talking about. Guitars and percussion simply come to life on these components. It's amazing how much better they sound compared to other sets I've used.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012   #114

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Got mine in and have been listening on my desk for a few days now. I can see what everyone is talking about. Guitars and percussion simply come to life on these components. It's amazing how much better they sound compared to other sets I've used.
What other sets have you used?
Old 08-13-2012   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

yup gonna do it!!!!!! now to find the cheapest set i can find!
Old 08-13-2012   #116
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 152 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
What other sets have you used?
Pioneer TS-A1702C, Pioneer TS-A1604C, Massive Audio CK6, Diamond Audio S500A, Diamond Audio M661, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C3-650 (the JBL tweeters are very similar to these, but have a bit more detail on percussion), Rainbow Germanium (the ability to recreate music in a lively manner on these JBL's remind me of the Germanium mids), and Morel Hybrid Ovation 6 II.

For reference, I like the JL Audio C3 tweeters better than the C5. But I liked the C5 mids better than the C3's. I compare everything to the Germanium mids, as they are one of the most detailed sets I've ever used.

I can't compare the MS-62c to the Germanium tweeters, or the Morel set, as they were in a different league. Sorry, but it's true. First set of Morel's I've ever had, and won't be my last if I can help it. And the Germanium tweeter just played looooowwwww.

But these JBL's are making a believer out of me that there are excellent component sets available for halfway decent pricing. Really got the itch to get these installed and start enjoying them.

Old 08-13-2012   #117

DIYMA Novice

I haven't played with the tweeters yet. Just the woofers. I hooked them up to an amp on my kitchen table; mainly to test the amp. I bought it used from Amazon and wanted to make sure it didn't have issues before I have had a chance to install it. On one channel, I connected the JBL. On the other, I connected a CDT CL6 that I have had since 2004. I played with the LP and HP crossover on the amp to see how the speakers would sound without being out of their comfort zone.

What I like about the CDT
1. - More efficient. I had to turn the balance over to favor the JBL by about 6 db to get them to put out about the same volume.
2. - Even with the crossover set the same, the CDT favored the highs more.
3. - Obviously clearer. There was more detail and seperation between the instruments. In comparison, the JBL sounded muddy.

What I liked about the JBL
1. - It seemed to have a warmer sound. The upper bass is stronger.
2. - It seems to play a little lower.
3. - It handles a tad more power without rattling.

Both of the woofers were just running open air with no baffle. I would hold them about a foot away from my face. When I held them up next to a 12" subwoofer, the JBL blended better with it.

At this point, I am not sure which one to go with. Maybe I'll mount one in the left door and the other in the right to see how they perform in the car.
Old 08-13-2012   #118
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

What were the crossover points and slopes you were using?

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2012   #119

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
What were the crossover points and slopes you were using?
The slope is 12db. It's variable between 50hz to 4Khz. I would play with it at different points. The CDT didn't seem to complain if I took it all the way to 4k. It would handle the mids nicely. I lowered the crossover down about halfway or more to see if the JBL was breaking up and making it sound muddy. It helped, but it still didn't play as clearly. Maybe I am being picky. I bet once I get them installed I won't see much difference.

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-14-2012 at 06:33 AM..
Old 08-14-2012   #120
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

these seem hard to pass up. i hade the ck6 massive comps played with them while and they where nice for price. i hope these jbls sound better then them.
Old 08-14-2012   #121
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Dooo eeet...

Old 08-14-2012   #122
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Titanium tweets scare me a little but I would trust JBL over many brands to get it right.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012   #123
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

I am one of the biggest anti-metal tweeter advocates out there... but these are superb.

Old 08-15-2012   #124
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I am one of the biggest anti-metal tweeter advocates out there... but these are superb.
Would the front channels of the GTO-3EZ be enough power? Its rated at 50x2, i don't listen to music near as loud as i used to.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012   #125
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Definitely. I have 60 x 2 at 12.5V and I'm not going all the way up with it. I'm sure with a conventional crossover point they would take more but they are plenty loud for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement