JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012   #126
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 149 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
Would the front channels of the GTO-3EZ be enough power? Its rated at 50x2, i don't listen to music near as loud as i used to.
I like what you are thinking there

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012   #127
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 145 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys i hate to get too OT but if i got matching single MS10 non slim version would it be better to get a dual 2 or 4 on the same amp? I don't think it would really need the full 500w @2ohm.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012   #128
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

optimaprime...pull the trigger. don't hesitate.

cut fan. I have a hard time believing the jbl's were muddy. you must have had something set up wrong

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012   #129

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 61 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
optimaprime...pull the trigger. don't hesitate.

cut fan. I have a hard time believing the jbl's were muddy. you must have had something set up wrong
Not muddy as in, "Oh, that sounds bad". If I wasn't comparing them side by side, I wouldn't have noticed. As for the setup, I am certain it was correct. I even swapped the drivers to make sure it wasn't something up stream.

As fo connecting it up correctly, I installed my first stereo about 30 years ago. By now, I should know how to hook a few wires up. LOL

Now that I have played with it some more, I have decided that I really like the JBL's warmer sound.
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012   #130
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 156 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt matter.....The "testing" methods are a wash anyway....free air on a table? NOPE, not going to prove much of anything to any set...good or bad. Also....one in one door and one in another? Same. Not going to tell you anything. Not saying one should be or will be better or worse. They are completely different sets and need to be handled %100 different to get the best out of both. Be fair to both sets if you really want to "compare" them to another!
I have tried to avoid getting into this thread the last few pages because of just this sort of foolery. (not trying to be mean to you...its just that there are a LOT of people that read these things and can't stand to see things like what has been said go out there to those that my not know better)

You want to compare? Install each set (together!) as they are designed and tune accordingly! If they are equal quality?....you shouldnt notice any difference....they are designed to do the EXACT same thing.....reproduce a recording faithfully!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012   #131

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 61 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Doesnt matter.....The "testing" methods are a wash anyway....free air on a table? NOPE, not going to prove much of anything to any set...good or bad. Also....one in one door and one in another? Same. Not going to tell you anything. Not saying one should be or will be better or worse. They are completely different sets and need to be handled %100 different to get the best out of both. Be fair to both sets if you really want to "compare" them to another!
I have tried to avoid getting into this thread the last few pages because of just this sort of foolery. (not trying to be mean to you...its just that there are a LOT of people that read these things and can't stand to see things like what has been said go out there to those that my not know better)

You want to compare? Install each set (together!) as they are designed and tune accordingly! If they are equal quality?....you shouldnt notice any difference....they are designed to do the EXACT same thing.....reproduce a recording faithfully!
I understand what you are saying. Those same thoughts have gone through my head too. The problem is, by the time you uninstall one and install the second, you won't really be able to compare them and switch back and forth.

As for testing, I was just listening to the woofers free air so I could get an idea of how their sound characteristics are different. Not for a definite conclusion of how they will sound after installation. I had them lifted away from the table because it totally changes the sound. I wasn't concerned about the low bass because the rear is going to cancel out the front without a baffle. Since I already know how the CDT sounds when installed, I think that was plenty sufficient to be able to roughly tell what the jbl will sound like. Of course they will sound different when installed and I am sure they will sound great.. However, I know know that they aren't as efficient and tend to sound warmer with less upper bass/ lower mid than the CDT.

There is no offense taken. You can be frank without hurting my feelings. Whatever you have to say, I welcome. That's how we learn.

Last edited by CDT FAN; 08-16-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 08-16-2012   #132
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
I run the tweets at 2KHz 24db with about 70W of available power. I don't listen at max volume a lot, but loud enough to test their durability and they are holding up.

I still haven't hooked up the passives.
Have you tried the tweeters with a higher hp? I'm curious what you like about the lower hp at 2khz. I tried that crossover and found that the crunchy guitar on rock songs really went away when i took the mids lp down.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-16-2012   #133

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Have you tried the tweeters with a higher hp? I'm curious what you like about the lower hp at 2khz. I tried that crossover and found that the crunchy guitar on rock songs really went away when i took the mids lp down.
What crossover settings are you currently at?
Old 08-16-2012   #134
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

3.2khz 24db hp and lp. schmidder likes his at 2khz. just curious how that works for his setup

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-20-2012   #135

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Eklips Kustoms
Position:
Owner,Salesman and installer

Rep Power: 113 MajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enough

Im glad I read this review I had some mixed feeling on JBL's products from the previous GTO range.However,having been a long time JBL freak,Im delighted to see they're making a really great comeback.Im ordering a set of these MS-62's from the distributor tomorrow....By the way,anyone notice how much the dome on this tweeter resembles those of the Focals?I heard a little rumour that JBL were buying tech from Focal(like I said just a rumour,dont know how true it could be)
As for those GTO-EZ amps,I m in love.They're stunning,a cinch to set up,sound great and have loads of grunt!Great value if you ask me

MajorChipHazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012   #136
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 149 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

I just got the GTO-751EZ amplifier in the other day. I do recommend them. It seems very well built, and extremely user friendly.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012   #137

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Eklips Kustoms
Position:
Owner,Salesman and installer

Rep Power: 113 MajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enough

The setup CD works great.Makes setting gains childs play with the LED indicators to guide you

MajorChipHazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012   #138

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorChipHazard View Post
Im glad I read this review I had some mixed feeling on JBL's products from the previous GTO range.However,having been a long time JBL freak,Im delighted to see they're making a really great comeback.Im ordering a set of these MS-62's from the distributor tomorrow....By the way,anyone notice how much the dome on this tweeter resembles those of the Focals?I heard a little rumour that JBL were buying tech from Focal(like I said just a rumour,dont know how true it could be)
As for those GTO-EZ amps,I m in love.They're stunning,a cinch to set up,sound great and have loads of grunt!Great value if you ask me
Someone on here had a pair for sale. I inquired about them, but they didn't reply back. You might have better luck.
Old 08-21-2012   #139
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Can anyone compare these to the polk mm6501's ?
My speakers sound great, but I feel like I should buy these now.

~need to stop reading reviews

hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #140
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40113 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Polk tweeters are also very good IMO. They have a nice smooth sound with some pleasing sparkle. The JBL just really make the music sound alive and detailed.

As for midbass I don't know if I heard the 6501s (shallow) or 6501, but the JBL seems have more low frequency xmax. Not night and day difference but noticeable. As for midrange, that's the one point I still need to do some listening to; just haven't decided how I feel about it since I rarely drive the car. And KIZZ, this is why I haven't replied to you question.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by schmiddr2; 08-21-2012 at 09:42 PM..
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #141
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

MajorChipHazard- im not sure how much they are like the focal tweeters as far as design goes. the inverted dome yes but I've never seen focal tweeters. the jbl's have little ridges around the outside on the flat part of the tweeter. do focal's have this as well?

Schmiddr2 i haven't really had any gripes about the midrange. i feel it does as good as some and better than other sets i have had. I know the jbl gti608's liked more Power to really bring out the midrange (from what i was told by a reputable source). Maybe you need more power? i don't know. what about the midrange aren't you happy with? I'm no pro, just curious what your thoughts are.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 08-29-2012   #142
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 niceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I am one of the biggest anti-metal tweeter advocates out there... but these are superb.
That's good to know as I'm curious about a couple of these JBL comps...I have JBL's home tower L880 speakers in the living room that use the titanium tweets and they sound great....

Stuck between the JBLs and Zapco slim line 6.5s.....
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012   #143
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40113 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am working on fiberglassing tweeter location in the sail panels of my Accord. Once I get that done I will do some more listening tests.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012   #144
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 107 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
Thanks guys i hate to get too OT but if i got matching single MS10 non slim version would it be better to get a dual 2 or 4 on the same amp? I don't think it would really need the full 500w @2ohm.
Never say never. If you got a 2ohm stable mono amp, I'd go with the DVC 4ohm version (for single sub woofer). The more clean Power the better for the sub. Try to set gains with DMM so you don't accidentally overdrive the amp though.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012   #145

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 pullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enough

I'm pulling the trigger! What amp are you guys recommending with these?
pullinhose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012   #146

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 hpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinhose View Post
I'm pulling the trigger! What amp are you guys recommending with these?
NVX 2-MS-62C_JAD800.4 (2-ms62c_jad8004) JBL MS Series Component
hpilot2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012   #147

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 pullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enough

I am not going to rear fill, so the extra jbl's and half of that amp would to waste, but I like where your head is! Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-01-2012   #148

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 hpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enough

WoofersEtc.com - GT-2125 - Boston Acoustics 2 Channel 600W GT Series Amplifier

MS-A1004 | A powerful, four-channel, full-range, Class D amplifier | JBL US

Run the MS-62 active off of this JBL amp, should be awesome!
hpilot2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012   #149

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot2004 View Post
I like where you're going with boston acoustics amp and that jbl amp is pretty freakin sweet, but way over my price range. I know I didn't give a pr and thanks for the reply...
How do you like this Massive NX2 for the job?
http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/pr...roductid=16247
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-NX2.html#tabs

Last edited by pullinhose; 09-01-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Old 09-01-2012   #150
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinhose View Post
I like where you're going with boston acoustics amp and that jbl amp is pretty freakin sweet, but way over my price range. I know I didn't give a pr and thanks for the reply...
How do you like this Massive NX2 for the job?
Massive Audio*::*Amplifiers*::*Nx2 - 2 Channel Amplifier
Massive audio NX2 Nano Block Series 2-Channel 960W Max Amplifier
That boston is steal right here. Really couldnt do any better in this price range.
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 (gt2125) GT Reference 2-Channel Amplifier

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement