JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012   #151

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 pullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
That boston is steal right here. Really couldnt do any better in this price range.
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 (gt2125) GT Reference 2-Channel Amplifier
Thanks Thomas, found that earlier and went for it! Appreciate the help guys! One last thing before I go, I have Polk db651's in the rear doors now, just off the hu and was planning on just ripping those out and just having the front soundstage... Should I stick with that plan or leave them in for fill (06 Escalade)? I have never ran just the front so I am new to realm, but have read a lot of posts on here and it seems like a ton of people are going that route.
pullinhose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012   #152
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 152 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Just listened to mine again with the passive crossovers, but with a bit more juice

MUCH more impressed with how they sound, even more than before!

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #153

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Just listened to mine again with the passive crossovers, but with a bit more juice

Have you compared active to passive crossovers? I am think about trying an active setup so that I can experiment with it.
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012   #154
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 152 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't tried it yet, don't really have the means to go active right now.

Old 09-02-2012   #155

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 Kevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enoughKevin C will become famous soon enough

I just bought these off ebay, $214 to my door!
I am replacing the stockers in a 2011 Sierra, rebuilding doors, sealing .
will run passive off a alpine f250 bridged to 100rms per ch.
single Orion xtr 10" also in truck off a alpine m500.
head unit is a alpine 9815.(ol reliable)
The tweeter is going in the stock A-Piller location , so i am really hoping these inverted metal tweets ARE NOT harsh , I have always been a fan of soft dome and smooth highs...fingers crossed!
I was going to use Hybrid tech imagines , but running passive vs cost has the jbls favor, also thought about Audison volce av6 , but more cost again .
These Jbl ms62c have really great reviews and i havnt had a set of jbls since the 80s lol.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #156

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 pullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enoughpullinhose will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of putting the tweeters in the A post with this mount: A-Pillar Tweeter Pods - Custom Speaker Pods

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012   #157
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would want to know what the other pod looked like and where exactly they point. They almost look like they would fit a sail panel too, but that might mess up the aim.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #158

DIYMA freshman

I see what you're saying... I was thinking of mounting it with the surface mount it came with in the sail panel, but I have already cut holes in the A pillars, just to find out that my driver side is 2" deep while the passenger is less than inch. And at 200 bucks per pillar from gm, I'm just looking to find some other options. Where would/do you have yours mounted? or where would be the best direction to face them?
Old 09-02-2012   #159
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:

How much power are we talking chithead???

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #160
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Best direction to face them is relative to other factors. There should be plenty of threads of tweeter facing/direction.

I bought a block of bass wood, which I will be carving to the shape of the sail panel then rounding over like the pods you linked. Mine will be pointed on axis.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
Old 09-03-2012   #161

DIYMA freshman

Yeah, I know, I've been reading... A LOT... So much stuff to learn, just wondering what your preferences were with these speakers in particular. Thanks for the reply and your carving project sounds pretty awesome!
Old 09-03-2012   #162
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
How much power are we talking chithead???
Went from 5 watts... to 50!

Old 09-03-2012   #163
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 192 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
Best direction to face them is relative to other factors. There should be plenty of threads of tweeter facing/direction.

I bought a block of bass wood, which I will be carving to the shape of the sail panel then rounding over like the pods you linked. Mine will be pointed on axis.
Have you sampled them on axis? Lots of these inverted metal domes seem to perform better slightly off axis in my experience.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #164
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

I have had them on axis for a few months, just held in place with Velcro. I don't find anything wrong with them, but I wonder if it is the best they can be. I figure the EQ can help me out here once I get to fine tuning a FR, but so far I have no complaints or listening fatigue from on axis.

Old 09-03-2012   #165
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 192 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Grab a phone rta program. Very helpful. Try them firing up on the dash also

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #166
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 159 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
I have had them on axis for a few months, just held in place with Velcro. I don't find anything wrong with them, but I wonder if it is the best they can be. I figure the EQ can help me out here once I get to fine tuning a FR, but so far I have no complaints or listening fatigue from on axis.
Its not a matter of them sounding "bad" on axis....they are not likely to offer a great deal of fatigue with mediocre eq capability either.......BUT if you put them a decent amount off axis (face them towards the rear view) I bet you your stage opens up a great deal!
Thats what they are made for! They are the "Softest" metal domes I have been around (these and the ppi pc series.....pretty similar actually)....sorry I know they are "hard domes" but the only way I can describe them is "softer" then most?

Anyone who has or has listened to them knows what I'm talking about!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #167

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 AuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enough

Would these make a good set for someone who primarily listens to metal/rock and some electronic (trance)? How do these stack up against the P660c?
AuralSalvation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #168
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Went from 5 watts... to 50!
LMAO...i thought you were talking like 50 to 200 or something haha.

Yes they are good for metal, rock, electronic, country, rap, blues, you name it. One thing I have found with these speakers are that even though they offer up a lot of detail they are also quite forgiving on bad recordings. something I haven't had since I had morel's. they are so easy to use.

I have recently tried mine from off axis to on axis and then pointed up towards the middle of the car in front of the rear view and like rex said, they really open up the soundstage that way, although, i found that on axis they sound pretty much the same...but it could be car dependent.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 09-03-2012   #169

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 AuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enoughAuralSalvation will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
LMAO...i thought you were talking like 50 to 200 or something haha.

Yes they are good for metal, rock, electronic, country, rap, blues, you name it. One thing I have found with these speakers are that even though they offer up a lot of detail they are also quite forgiving on bad recordings. something I haven't had since I had morel's. they are so easy to use.

I have recently tried mine from off axis to on axis and then pointed up towards the middle of the car in front of the rear view and like rex said, they really open up the soundstage that way, although, i found that on axis they sound pretty much the same...but it could be car dependent.
They would be going in an 05 4runner. It's got factory locations for tweeters
Old 09-04-2012   #170

DIYMA freshman

Are the factory locations in A pillar, sail panel, or door?
Old 09-04-2012   #171

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinhose View Post
Are the factory locations in A pillar, sail panel, or door?
Upper door
Old 09-04-2012   #172

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 btnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enoughbtnh47 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to btnh47

Had the chance to compare them, one side the JBL set and the other side Hat Imagine set. Both sound good, although HAT's had a finer detail so jus decided to keep the HATs and time to sell the JBl's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-17 19.35.25.jpg (86.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-17 19.35.35.jpg (99.4 KB, 124 views)

HU: Kenwood KDC x955 / Front: HAT imagine I61-2 / Amp: Nx5 Massive audio / Subs: 2 IDQv3 12"
btnh47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #173
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

You like the HAT's better??????

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 09-05-2012   #174
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 159 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh47 View Post
Had the chance to compare them, one side the JBL set and the other side Hat Imagine set. Both sound good, although HAT's had a finer detail so jus decided to keep the HATs and time to sell the JBl's.
Oh dear....not this again

Ok, YOU CANNOT get a valid listening experience doing one side one speaker other side the other speaker.....DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Not saying you will not end up with the same results....its subjective. But you cannot get a valid result that way. Install both (in a quality install) tune properly and then listen! Thats how it works.....
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #175

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Oh dear....not this again

Ok, YOU CANNOT get a valid listening experience doing one side one speaker other side the other speaker.....DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Not saying you will not end up with the same results....its subjective. But you cannot get a valid result that way. Install both (in a quality install) tune properly and then listen! Thats how it works.....
How about if you mix and match the x-overs and tweeters? j/k
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement