JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012   #201
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYDMOTO View Post
i would like to know how these compare to the P660C as well...
About a month ago I ordered the p660 because the ms set was at 250 on sonic and about the same on amazon.
Last week i ordered a set of the ms. Just got them in today and there is no comparison.
The ms kills everything about them. The 660's sound good, lots of midbass but the ms is just an all around better set of drivers.
Extremely detailed and to everyone worried about the sensitivity of the ms....Don't.
With 75 watts a channel ran active these things will run you out of the car before they start to break up. Something that i can not say about the 660's.
These things really are great!
Oh and there down to 179 on sonic with free shipping.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012   #202

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Wyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enough

I have a question... I hooked mine up to my new Kenwood just last night and tried to mess around with the settings to fix it but I couldn't..
Any music I play, the highs are piercing and I can't get them to tone down. And some music I play makes it sound like the tweeters are blown.. I've tried every setting on the deck and messed around with the passive crossovers a bit to no avail.
I have high quality tunes, 320kbps.
I have no amplifier.

Any ideas?..
Wyatta4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012   #203
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 114 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatta4 View Post
I have a question... I hooked mine up to my new Kenwood just last night and tried to mess around with the settings to fix it but I couldn't..
Any music I play, the highs are piercing and I can't get them to tone down. And some music I play makes it sound like the tweeters are blown.. I've tried every setting on the deck and messed around with the passive crossovers a bit to no avail.
I have no amplifier.

Any ideas?..

An amplifier will allow you to have smoother sound at louder levels and will improve your mid bass. You can try to position the tweeters a bit off-axis. Play with tweeter positions. Use the EQ on your head unit aswell to get the sound you're looking for.

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012   #204

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Wyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enoughWyatta4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
An amplifier will allow you to have smoother sound at louder levels and will improve your mid bass. You can try to position the tweeters a bit off-axis. Play with tweeter positions. Use the EQ on your head unit aswell to get the sound you're looking for.
I've already done all that.
Old 10-31-2012   #205
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40116 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, an amp could help. This does not sound like an eq or tweeter attenuation problem. More so like the mids need more power to get to a level to keep up with the sensitive tweets. One thing you can try is to cover the tweeters with grill cloth to compensate for this. The broken tweeter sound may be clipping; if this is true then its not fixable without an amp. Make sure the doors are sealed well to improve the mids response.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by schmiddr2; 10-31-2012 at 10:57 AM..
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012   #206
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 223 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

If you evaluated them in a quiet environment and they sounded that way, then it is definitely not power related. A mere watt will get you fairly loud in that situation.

t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012   #207

DIYMA freshman

Wait, so is it or isn't it related to that fact that I dont have an amp?..
Ill have to give the cloth thing a try
The tweeters just sound like shreaking.. I don't know how to explain it but they don't sound good...
Old 10-31-2012   #208

DIYMA freshman

And there is an occasional radio static type noise in there.. I grounded it to the body too.
Old 10-31-2012   #209
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And there is an occasional radio static type noise in there.. I grounded it to the body too.
Wait...What? What did you ground?

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
Old 10-31-2012   #210

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
Wait...What? What did you ground?
The deck
Old 10-31-2012   #211
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 127 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Whew, I thought you were talking about the speaker.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 FOR Sale with grill.
^^^ FOR SALE
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012   #212
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Whew, I thought you were talking about the speaker.
Know kidding...I did too.

Old 10-31-2012   #213
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Sooooooo Has anyone used the angle mount for the tweeters? I f you have have you tried to remove them yet?
And if you have removed them how in the hell did you do it?
Cause from where i'm sitting if you screw the mount to a panel then press the tweet into it theres no way to get to the back of it to push out.
I have not mounted them the way i would like to yet for this reason.
Honestly i feel kinda dumb right now. The manual didnt say anything about removing them.

Old 10-31-2012   #214
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40116 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

The flush mounts are twist in and the angle mounts are just push in. Just take 2 narrow screwdrivers, push them into each hole, and apply pressure evenly to push it out. Or use 1 screwdriver and go from one hole to the other applying pressure.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
Old 10-31-2012   #215
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
The flush mounts are twist in and the angle mounts are just push in. Just take 2 narrow screwdrivers, push them into each hole, and apply pressure evenly to push it out. Or use 1 screwdriver and go from one hole to the other applying pressure.
Ya, I understand that. But once mounted those holes on the back are not going to accessible.
So once you press the tweeter into the angle mount thats screwed down how are you going to get to the back of the mounting cup to push it back out?
Even if you could manage to get a small screwdriver or something in there you cant get the right angle on it to push the tweeter out of the cup.
It's a pretty tight fit too you know.

Old 10-31-2012   #216
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Ah. Didn't think of that...mine are still in Velcro stage. lol.

I would of used a bolt instead of a screw. But it seems you are already past that; I guess you need to experiment with pulling at the grill with equal pressure. Maybe use fishing line and run it through 2 or more holes that are opposite of each other then pull. Take the line and run it down a scissor edge to get it to curl so it can be "fished" in and then out of the grill.

Seems like a design problem, or something I am missing.

Old 10-31-2012   #217
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

use a very small ice pick type tool. a very fine point will allow you to pull the grill off. from there you can use that same tool to pull out the tweeter.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012   #218
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I haven't thought about the fishing like and yes it seems like quite a big design flaw as well.
There has to be a way to properly do this that I'm just seeing right now.
I would've been really messed up earlier if I would've not had to pull the wire back through when I noticed it earlier.
I was all set to mount it on the sail and was what the hell I cant do this. I'll never get it off.
I'm going to pm andy and see if he knows what to do. They did come double sided tape but I am looking for something with a little more sturdiness.

Just fill in the blanks. I'm on a new phone and well its going to take alittle getting used to

Old 10-31-2012   #219
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
use a very small ice pick type tool. a very fine point will allow you to pull the grill off. from there you can use that same tool to pull out the tweeter.
Maybe they fit damnable tight though. Its hard to push them out I don't wanna put a hole in the thing you know. Just to be clear I caught the situation before pressing the tweeter in.
I would just really like to use these monuts but still be able to dismount if I want.
Crazy yet effective design I guess

Last edited by thomasluke; 10-31-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Old 11-01-2012   #220
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

well the tip of the pick needs to be smaller than the holes of the grill. for me, I have an old dentist cleaning tool. it's like an ice pick on one end and the other end is bent 90 degrees. it will slide in a grill hole just enough to pull it off....i promise it will work

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 11-01-2012   #221
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
well the tip of the pick needs to be smaller than the holes of the grill. for me, I have an old dentist cleaning tool. it's like an ice pick on one end and the other end is bent 90 degrees. it will slide in a grill hole just enough to pull it off....i promise it will work
I have a....dissecting kit that has the same little tool in it.
I actually used it this afternoon in the exact manner your talking about.
The bad news i dont think i like these. I know everyone is raving about the tweeter but i dont think it's gonna work out for me.
I'm using the passives right now just to see what jbl thought they should like.
Bridged with 250 a side and the tweet really isnt loud enough for me and running them active i cant seem to get to the level right.
I've already ordered a pair of dls ultimate tweeters. Reason being I freaking love them and sonic had them for 60 bucks a pair.
I'm going to run the jbl's for a bit to see if they need to "break in" or whatever but generally speaking i know if im going to like something or not within the first couple of hours of tuning.
IDK just kinda let down by the tweet. I had high hopes

Old 11-01-2012   #222
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

You think 250 on tap is to much? I didnt see any kind of power limiter for the tweeter on the passive's.
Maybe theres to much juice there and it's being redirected to the mid? The midbass is GREAT with that power though.
The damn things will blur my rearview crossed at 60 with 24 db slope. So thats good.

Old 11-01-2012   #223
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

The tweets weren't loud enough for you? holy crap! how loud do you listen to your music?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 11-01-2012   #224
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
The tweets weren't loud enough for you? holy crap! how loud do you listen to your music?
that's what I'm saying. I don't know what's going on imam switch from network to normal in the morning and see if it makes a difference.
Shouldn't though I.set the mid low pass to pass. So it should be the same. Right?
If not and it the p80 is cutting the highs even with no lowpass on the mid.....its coming out.

Old 11-02-2012   #225

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 lucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have no amplifier.

Any ideas?..
You ever get this figured out? You sure you don't have the leads from the crossover to the tweeter/mid switched up?
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement