LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 Audioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enough

Default JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Ok, I do not normally post reviews on DIYMA but I am pretty excited about these components and figured I would share my experience with them. First, some of my previous commercial component sets I have used in my Infiniti qx4 include: Alpine SPX-17pro's , MB Quart PSD 216's, Rainbow Profi Vanadium CS365, Kef Kar series uni-q 6.5's. I have also ran a 3 way active set up using the peerless sls 6.5, Fountek FR88EX, and the seas 27TAFNC/G. I have been into car/home audio for many years and am also an avid drummer. Ok, so I am not coming from Sony Xplode gear or the legendary Roadmaster . Lets get on to my set up. My source is a Pioneer DEH-80prs. The amp I am running is an ARC XXK-4150. two channels running to the fronts and two channels bridged to my single phoenix gold rsd 10, a nice subwoofer for the dollar.

On with it. I have been content with my Kef's for a while but, The ferrofluid in one of my tweeters dried up, a common problem with older Kef tweeters. This left me looking for a new set to keep me happy during rush hour. I did not want to spend very much as I was just looking for something to get me by until I figure out something serious. Anyways, It was between these and some rainbow slc265.ng's. They share the same basket. I thought that was strange. I have had a few rainbow set ups and have only been impressed with the profi line so I kind of just said what the hell and ordered the jbls for $187.00 via Ebay.

So they get here a few days ago and to my surprise they seemed very well built. The woofers build quality seemed much higher than the other commercial sets I've ran, other than the SPX17-pro's which are about the same. The tweeters are titanium inverted domes, similar to focal, but not in sound. Good build quality all around. Of course, the crossovers are not as impressive as the type x's but they are solid.

I managed to get them installed the same night and have been listening to them for the last two days.

So far, I would have to say that these are the highest value purchase I have made in car audio. Being a drummer, cymbal accuracy is very important to me. I had always heard that MB Quart Titanium tweeters were the best at this aspect. Hah. In my install the MB's were good on certain songs but fell apart while trying to reproduce anything complex. Miles Davis, decent. Nirvana, Ouch! I do not know who made the tweeter in this set but without a doubt, these JBL tweeters have more air and leading edge detail than any other compact tweeter I have ever used. I do not know how they sound so good. No Focal/MB Quart harshness what so ever! They remind me of the
cal26 titans but without the grain and fatigue at louder listening levels.

The mids perform very well. They have the midrange accuracy of the SPX-17pro's and the mid bass of the rainbows. One thing that I enjoyed about the MB Quarts was that even though their excursion capabilities were far less than the others, they managed to have a snap and awesome upper midbass-lower midrange. Toms always sounded full with the MB Quarts. The Alpines were the weakest in that area. Rainbow's and JBL's are right in the middle. I think the JBL's can go a little bit lower but I don't plan on high passing below 63hz/12db.

Overall I am astonished so far. It is a nice relief to not have to spend $500-700 on a two way "commercial' set up to reach acceptable fidelity. If anyone else has used these I would love to hear what you think of them.

Well that's it for now. It's late.....jbl w.jpg

jbl tweet.jpg

jbl1.jpg

jbl.jpg
Audioguy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 120 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Default Re: JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me!

Nice review, thanx for posting

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

You said you ran a SLS in you QX4?. You didnt have an issues with the depth assuming you didnt do any special door build. I ask because I have a 04 Pathfinder and I am having issues with the depth in the front door.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Irregular

Rep Power: 91 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear these worked out for you. These are high on my list to replace my Pioneers, which didn't really impress me all that much.
jonnyanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 125 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I have been saying since these came out.....These are possibly the best $300 comp set ever made. Yes, I know thats a bold statement but when you hear them.....there is just no fault to be had. I agree with %100 percent of what was said. I was about to purchase these for my vehicle but really wanted something I could mount as a coax and found a set of GTI's at around the same price so I pulled the trigger on it. If I get a second vehicle these will be purchase #1.

JBL NAILED it with these! I have seen them online for $190.00 :0 You cant get better for that!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 caver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I have been saying since these came out.....These are possibly the best $300 comp set ever made. Yes, I know thats a bold statement but when you hear them.....there is just no fault to be had. I agree with %100 percent of what was said. I was about to purchase these for my vehicle but really wanted something I could mount as a coax and found a set of GTI's at around the same price so I pulled the trigger on it. If I get a second vehicle these will be purchase #1.

JBL NAILED it with these! I have seen them online for $190.00 :0 You cant get better for that!
Do you like them better than the 608's
caver50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 94 rugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura about

Not going to lie... When I first saw these I shyed away from them. Thanx for taking the time to review them. Other than issues with my DSP I am extremely happy with my other JBL products.

" Does that make him a moderate or is he a liberal commie long haired bastard? Do you have to be hard core, hate all them damned hippies, staunchy stan to be in the totally moral and good club of the righteous? " - AWC
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 yuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enough

nice review , i would love to know how they compare to your kef uni-q's and are the uni-q's the original ones with the black cones or the later blue cones ?
thanks

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 Audioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enoughAudioguy36 will become famous soon enough

Quote: nice review , i would love to know how they compare to your kef uni-q's and are the uni-q's the original ones with the black cones or the later blue cones ?
thanks

The Kef's I have are the black cones. The Kef's excelled at vocals and in the midrange. They have decent bass/midbass. The highs are solid but sound a bit smeared in comparison to the JBL's. The JBL's have much better bass thn the Kef's. The kef's have the most natural sounding voices and midrange I've heard in a car so far. I like the fact that the JBL's manage very good air and detail without the addition of harshness.
Old 05-11-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote: You said you ran a SLS in you QX4?. You didnt have an issues with the depth assuming you didnt do any special door build. I ask because I have a 04 Pathfinder and I am having issues with the depth in the front door.

I run an MDF baffle set up. That window can be tricky without a deep baffle.
Old 05-12-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 125 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver50 View Post
Do you like them better than the 608's
Thats tough......I suppose the answer would be yes with the exception being low frequency extension and authority. I have not found another set that is equal or greater in those aspects...they are just freaks of nature in that realm!

In the end its all about tuning and install anyway. What is special about the MS set is that they are incredibly forgiving when it comes to install and tuning (not a whole lot is required for superb sound) In that aspect they remind me of the Boston SPZ's.... (a great deal of engineering and $ was spent on that aspect with the bostons)

I dont see any set out there being comparable in the same or moderately higher price range. Again, if I were doing something other then my 81' Renegade I would have bought the MS in a heart beat!
Add to that, the PPI Phantom amps and you have the best deals in car audio at the moment (IMO) and you can run a very potent system for the cheapest that has been offered ever in this field? Pretty cool times in that fashion if you ask me!

Sorry for the rant OP,
I am VERY glad to hear that someone else has given them a go and more importantly shared the results!!!
Old 05-12-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Irregular

Rep Power: 91 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thats tough......I suppose the answer would be yes with the exception being low frequency extension and authority. I have not found another set that is equal or greater in those aspects...they are just freaks of nature in that realm!

In the end its all about tuning and install anyway. What is special about the MS set is that they are incredibly forgiving when it comes to install and tuning (not a whole lot is required for superb sound) In that aspect they remind me of the Boston SPZ's.... (a great deal of engineering and $ was spent on that aspect with the bostons)

I dont see any set out there being comparable in the same or moderately higher price range. Again, if I were doing something other then my 81' Renegade I would have bought the MS in a heart beat!
Add to that, the PPI Phantom amps and you have the best deals in car audio at the moment (IMO) and you can run a very potent system for the cheapest that has been offered ever in this field? Pretty cool times in that fashion if you ask me!

Sorry for the rant OP,
I am VERY glad to hear that someone else has given them a go and more importantly shared the results!!!
Can't forget the alpine type-r 8s!

Glad to hear some additional feedback on these. Where did you happen to listen to these?
Old 05-12-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyanalog View Post
Can't forget the alpine type-r 8s!

Glad to hear some additional feedback on these. Where did you happen to listen to these?
I put them in a friends car....also at a shop.

The type R's also go on the "deals" list.......Looks like the new type S is going to trump that in the $ performance ration as well!

Its really a good time to be buying mobile audio!!
Old 05-12-2012   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 caver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enoughcaver50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sorry for the rant OP,
Thats impressive, because i know how much you like the 608's and the SPZ's.
I may have to consider those myself. My motives are slightly different though.
Mostly interested in mating the midbass with some Hertz ML-28's
Old 05-12-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

I have been eyeing this set as well and the ms subs.

However, I plan to use them passive. Im assuming you are active since you have the pioneer deck. How are the passives built regarding quality of components?

You say the titanium dome has sharpness equivalent to a soft dome? Since you were coming from a pointsource kef, where did you install the tweeters ?

Have you considered trying the passives just to see hear how it sounds?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 AM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #16

DIYMA Novice

Would like to find some specs on the midbass driver. I've searched with no success.
Old 05-12-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 65 TwoDrink will become famous soon enoughTwoDrink will become famous soon enoughTwoDrink will become famous soon enoughTwoDrink will become famous soon enoughTwoDrink will become famous soon enoughTwoDrink will become famous soon enough

Excellent review. Thank you. Now I'm reconsidering my ppi 356cs set.
TwoDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 stockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to stockley.rod

Great review, thanks. Might have to try a set out in the GF's Corolla.

That basket and magnet structure looks pretty damn close to my H-Audio Soul.

Sent from my iPhone

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Source: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Amplifiers: ARC KS300.4 & XR-4S Speakers: H-Audio xSoul2 Subwoofer: SWR-8D2
stockley.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Irregular

The baskets also look similar to the rainbow slc 265 ng. I know that probably means nothing with regard to performance but its hard not to notice the similarity.
Too bad Bikin isn't running the klippel. It would be interesting to see some data.
Old 05-12-2012   #20

DIYMA Novice

Thats a beefy lookin speaker
Old 05-13-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Do it yourself

Rep Power: 134 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

JBL MS62C Two-Way Component Speakers - Speakers - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Magazine
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

There is also a video to go along with that review
Old 05-13-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Do it yourself

Rep Power: 134 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

The video is on the same page I linked.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I know....just letting people know to look for it
Old 05-14-2012   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 31 nellymerc will become famous soon enoughnellymerc will become famous soon enoughnellymerc will become famous soon enoughnellymerc will become famous soon enoughnellymerc will become famous soon enoughnellymerc will become famous soon enough

I almost ordered those speakers but then I found out I would have to do some modding to make them fit and I was already doing a ton of work. I went with the JBL MS-52c. They have the same tweeter, same build quality, only the the 52cs can only go down to about 70Hz instead of 60Hz. Im sure that the 62cs can reproduce bass better then my 52cs but thats what I have my subs for . The set is pretty impressive so far for me as well. I've been using them about as long as you and haven't really pushed them hard yet. They get pretty loud and I havent heard any distortion yet.

I also have been enjoying the 80PRS since its release. The auto TA&EQ sound pretty damn good on my setup. I have a couple friends that have "installed" systems with their own friends or what not (wiring up a prebuilt box and subs from who knows where) and they said they havent heard anything this clear or loud. Mind you they most definitely not pros by any means, but now they know what to aim for lol.

Upgrades by nellymerc, on Flickr

Untitled by nellymerc, on Flickr
nellymerc is offline   Reply With Quote