6"-7" Mid-Woofer Subjective Listening Test (RESULTS PDF ATTACHED IN 1ST POST) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Default 6"-7" Mid-Woofer Subjective Listening Test (RESULTS PDF ATTACHED IN 1ST POST)

Finally, the test you have been waiting for is finished. Before you read the results I would like to give you some insight. As with the first Ultimate Midrange Test, this was intense with much help, research, and time devoted. Many of you were grateful for my efforts and I have received numerous requests for more qualified reviews of this caliber. I know many of you have been wondering why i went to such an effort to give You magazine quality results. It's because I have been wanting to start a quality publication for the mobile audio industry for some time. I truly love this industry and for many it's a passion. In the coming months we will be releasing more details and the first issue to follow which will include this test amongst others. Please respect my efforts and read the whole article in its entirety.

Thanks again for being patient and a special thanks to all the members who donated their time, money and/or drivers for use in this test. Enjoy!

Note:
This thread is intended for discussion of test results and methodolgies when applicable. To view the history of this test and how it came about, along with discussions that took place before the test itself was performed, please visit my thread here:
6-7" Midrange/Midbass Subjective Listening Shootout - Dyn/HAT/Scan/AT/Focal
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MidWoofer Subjective Review Report.pdf (3.04 MB, 33503 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.

Last edited by ErinH; 10-25-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 TexZen will become famous soon enoughTexZen will become famous soon enoughTexZen will become famous soon enoughTexZen will become famous soon enoughTexZen will become famous soon enoughTexZen will become famous soon enough

Default re: 6"-7" Mid-Woofer Subjective Listening Test **RESULTS!**

I think I'm about to pass out with anticipation...

Thanks for all of your time & hard work!

Currently in The SS: Zip, zilch, nada...bone stock.
TexZen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Am i missing something or are these not the results? lol and your page has 1 more like

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012   #4

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I haven't fully read this yet; just did a quick cursory read through it. some results are a bit surprising, others aren't.

scan speak 18wu as a pack leader. glad to see my praise held up in this testing.

the 18sound's results are surprising, given everyone's love for it. I've yet to really look at data for it and still have yet to test the one donated for this particular test.

great work, Jerry. from what I've seen, the attention to detail is excellent and the data really helps provide a strong technical aspect to a subjective listening test.

kudos.

- Erin

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #5
DAT

Banned

Rep Power: 0 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, I got some questions, ... Hey the L6se is not a tier 1 driver?

DAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

DAMN GOOD WRITE UP!! Thank you so much for putting forth your time and effort. Thanks for securing my Scan Speak/Anarchy setup. (knew they would both do great in the test haha)

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, I actually guessed that the Anarchys would end up at 4th place or so. I thought some of the tested would end up higher. Scan 18WU and the Exodus would be the top performance vs price in this test I guess. Thanks for all the work you put into publishing this, looking forward to the details later on

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 113 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Will check this out in a bit. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 96 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Very nice write-up! Too bad the revelaters didn't make it into the test. I bet they would have ended up high too based on Zaph's testing.
And how about that Anarchy! Great reading!

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

***EVERYONE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO "LIKE" MY PAGE SO I GET AN ACCURATE COUNT***

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 10-07-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 111 ISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jerry for the efforts to conduct the test and put this summary together. Question tho... what if you're one of the 1% (people not on FB). Anywhere to get a PDF of this?

I've owned 4 of these drivers (Scan, Phass, Pioneer, HAT), and I'd agree with the results, except I'd put the Pio mids above the HAT's.
ISTundra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Jerry,

I hope that you and your family are feeling better. And I want to congratulate you for producing an excellent...no, OUTSTANDING write up. It is very well-written and organized, and both the subjective impressions and the data were presented in a very clear, easy-to-read, informative format...love the inclusion of the bar graphs! I know that you needed to keep the subjective impressions short and sweet, but I wish that there would have been a bit more descriptive analysis for some of the drivers (gotta complain about something!).

I apologize to everyone here if in fact the Seas drivers were defective in any way. I had a suspicion that something might have been "off" after seeing Erin's Klippel results. I would have expected slightly better results after knowing how Zaph rated them and many others' impressions. Regardless, I doubt it would have changed the results more than a single tier in their performance rating, and I am very appreciative for having them included in the test for comparison. You have to have something bad to compare the good to.

I would be happy to "like" your Facebook page, however I am not a member and do not plan on signing up due to their privacy and content/copyright policies (I am a professional photographer). So consider one more "like" even if it's off the record.

I may be missing it because I am not a Facebook member and not able to sign into the site, but my only major dissapointment in the article is that nowhere did I see a reference or even mention of the DIYMA community forums and/or that this test was for the most part organized, and contributed to, by its members. In addition, nowhere did I see a link or reference to Erin's site, contributions, and/or his work regarding the Klippel tests and results.

Otherwise I am extremely pleased by the quality and caliber of the actual testing and your write-up. THANK YOU to all who contributed their drivers, time, and money to make this test a reality!

Well done!

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a pair of Awesome looking Seas W18NX?!

Last edited by bbfoto; 10-07-2012 at 07:00 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 110 nomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enough

If the creator wont mind, I have created PDF file from the FB link.
I will post link for the old people who live without of Facebook

CarPC as HU, H900 as DSP, Alpine 18W + 12M + D3004/602010 in the front, IDMAX12 in the back, RF 15001bd + Mcintosh MC4000M in the trunk, Knukoncept wires ,XSpower battery, Monster Cable rca and more, all in small Italian peace of crap
nomed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 133 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTundra View Post
Thanks Jerry for the efforts to conduct the test and put this summary together. Question tho... what if you're one of the 1% (people not on FB). Anywhere to get a PDF of this?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Jerry,

I would be happy to "like" your Facebook page, however I am not a member and do not plan on signing up

I may be missing it because I am not a Facebook member and not able to sign into the site, but my only major dissapointment in the article is that nowhere did I see a reference or even mention of the DIYMA community forums and/or that this test was for the most part organized, and contributed to, by its members. In addition, nowhere did I see a link or reference to Erin's site, contributions, and/or his work regarding the Klippel tests and results.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomed View Post
Please let this happen.

I like building stuff. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it.
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 103 masswork will become famous soon enoughmasswork will become famous soon enoughmasswork will become famous soon enoughmasswork will become famous soon enoughmasswork will become famous soon enoughmasswork will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much for all the work!
masswork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Contact me if you don't have a facebook account and don't want to create a facebook account and I will direct you to my photobucket account. I really want everyone to use facebook, if possible.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2012   #17

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomed View Post
The creator does mind, thus I have deleted your post.

Don't shoot the messenger. Jerry asked for people to contact him directly if you can't access the report via Facebook. This is his baby, so I hope people respect his wishes, regardless of how much of a (temporary) bind it may put you in.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 10-07-2012   #18

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post

I apologize to everyone here if in fact the Seas drivers were defective in any way. I had a suspicion that something might have been "off" after seeing Erin's Klippel results. I would have expected slightly better results after knowing how Zaph rated them and many others impressions. Regardless, I doubt it would have changed the results more than a single tier in their performance rating, and I am very appreciative for having them included in the test for comparison. You have to have something bad to compare the good to.
FWIW, I don't think you had a defective (or two) driver at all. Nyugen's test back in 2005 yielded the same LSI curves; though the numbers were a bit different (yet, still the xmax values were the same). I think you got legitimate drivers. They just happen to not perform as well as we all had thought/hoped. Of course, consider the design is still pretty old (in relative terms).

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 10-07-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Just liked your page bro.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 110 nomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enoughnomed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
The creator does mind, thus I have deleted your post.

Don't shoot the messenger. Jerry asked for people to contact him directly if you can't access the report via Facebook. This is his baby, so I hope people respect his wishes, regardless of how much of a (temporary) bind it may put you in.
Accept my sincere apologies.

PM could had same effect...

CarPC as HU, H900 as DSP, Alpine 18W + 12M + D3004/602010 in the front, IDMAX12 in the back, RF 15001bd + Mcintosh MC4000M in the trunk, Knukoncept wires ,XSpower battery, Monster Cable rca and more, all in small Italian peace of crap
nomed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Jerry,

Thank you for undertaking all of this. I'll admit that I'm actually not one bit surprised that my 660's wound up in the middle of the pack. Out of the box, they DO have a very mellow and rolled off bottom-end (which your comments seem to point to being the largest drawback). Luckily, my 6to8 can apply a shelf filter in the crossover section and knocking down 80hz and up by about 6db's really brings these things to life. Erin's testing shows JBL underrates their excursion numbers and I took advantage of that by extending the low-end response through equalization.

Please don't take any of my above comments as contradicting your results for the 660. I honestly agree with them. I simply wanted to share that with the proper setup and some EQ work a driver that doesn't perform perfect "out of the box" CAN still do VERY WELL. In the case of the 660's, I personally believe they can hang with some of the Tier 1 drivers you tested...which is why I still rock them! Thanks again!!

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Jerry,

I don't want this to be an excuse for people to copy or post a separate PDF of your article against your and this sites' wishes, but it is my understanding that technically you no longer own the copyright to this work since you have posted/hosted it via Facebook. You might want to read Facebook's privacy policy and terms of service to confirm/deny this.

Just a head's up. ...and you are welcome to delete this post. I will contact you for a PDF or your photobucket link.

Last edited by bbfoto; 10-07-2012 at 10:53 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 249 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Thanks for the test, but I wonder about the results...some are quite contrary to my experiences.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 235 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Finally, the test you have been waiting for is finished. Before you read the results I would like to give you some insight. As with the first Ultimate
Midrange Test, this was intense with much help, research, and time devoted. Many of you were grateful for my efforts and I have received numerous requests for more qualified reviews of this caliber. I know many of you have been wondering why i went to such an effort to give You magazine quality results. It's because I have been wanting to start a quality publication for the mobile audio industry for some time. I truly love this industry and for many it's a passion. In the coming months we will be releasing more details and the first issue to follow which will include this test amongst others. Please respect my efforts and read the whole article in its entirety.

In order for me to proceed down this path, I need your guys help. The results for this test are accessible via my facebook page. Please “like” my page. This will give me an accurate count going forward of the demand, giving me valuable information to be able to start this new publication.

Thanks again for being patient and a special thanks to all the members who donated their time, money and/or drivers for use in this test. Enjoy!

High Definition Mobile audio - Omaha, NE - Retail and Consumer Merchandise | Facebook

To all who have used my FaceBook to read this....thank you! One member has already made a .pdf and tried to post a link. I have my reasons for not doing this as a .pdf and they are clearly stated above. Anyone who wishes to try this again will not only have the post and link removed, but will be subject to any and all copyright infringement penalties available by law.

Contact me if you don't have a facebook account and don't want to create a facebook account and I will direct you to my photobucket account. I really want everyone to use facebook, if possible.
Wait, you're in Omaha??? I'm here this weekend visiting my daughters.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Wait, you're in Omaha??? I'm here this weekend visiting my daughters.
Man, I would have loved to meet you. Small world.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement