4" Midrange Comparison Shootout. RESULTS Thread! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Default 4" Midrange Comparison Shootout. RESULTS Thread!

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the 4" Midrange Comparison Shootout performed in April 2010. If you would like information on how the test was performed or any discussion leading up to the test, please view this thread.
4" Midrange Comparison Shootout - Dyn, Scan, Hat, More

Attached are the results. Please discuss and ask any questions you have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Midrange Subjective Review Report.pdf (1.08 MB, 2025 views)

Last edited by ErinH; 10-28-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 151 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Default Re: 4" Midrange Comparison Shootout - Dyn, Scan, Hat, More

WOOHOO!

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 153 matdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to matdotcom2000

love it man cant wait

matdotcom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 142 VaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enough

I GOT IT!!!

No, I did not.
VaVroom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

You've got mail!!!

Please email me if you did not receive it or would like to and I will get a copy out to you.

My email is jerry_cms@cox.net

Last edited by Niebur3; 05-07-2010 at 11:27 PM..
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 172 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

Send 1 to me : kyheng@streamyx.com Thanks.

kyheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 142 VaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enoughVaVroom1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
You've got mail!!!

Please email me if you did not receive it or would like to and I will get a copy out to you.

My email is jerry_cms@cox.net
Got it. Thank you Jerry.
VaVroom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 155 Weightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enough

Here we go...
Weightless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 less will become famous soon enoughless will become famous soon enoughless will become famous soon enoughless will become famous soon enoughless will become famous soon enoughless will become famous soon enough

Hmm guess I get to make the first comment, having read it all... thats what I get for waking up when I heard the email hit my box lol. Curiousity!

Very nicely done test I'd say based on the steps involved - good job ought to be the first thing said, bearing in mind the limitations inherent in any such test. I'm glad and not at all surprised to see ALMOST every result though. Although the fact that I'm not surprised sort of surprises me =) It seems like (on a brief scan) one can almost say "you get what you pay for" with a few notable exceptions.

I'm going to leave it at that and let others discuss the pass band choices and such... I'll just say that it seemed like a well reasoned decision designed to give the best possible test conditions to all drivers in the test.

Thanks much for your time in testing.

Jim/Less

Still lovin' my '06 Civic
SOURCES: 2 Ipods & Pure I20 - Sarotech Media player - Pioneer DVD, DRIVERS: Peerless XLS -Scan 12m - Airborne RT4001 - JBL GTi 12, AMPS: McIntosh 440m - Zapco Ref 750.2, PROCESSING: Bit One & SRC, POWER: Diehard/Stinger CUSTOM: Amp Shroud & Enclosures - ViaBlue/Canare RCAs - Relay block

Last edited by less; 05-08-2010 at 12:36 AM..
less is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough2LOUD2OLD will become famous soon enough

got it thanks
printing it out now
2LOUD2OLD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 133 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

Awesome review. Thanks for going through all the hard work. I was really interested in the Vifa NE speakers but actually ended up purchasing 2 of the scanspeak discovery 4's.
beerdrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #12

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

just got home and read through the review quickly.

I was more impressed by the charts you provided. I really liked that.
Amazing how much the t/s parameters differed on the Hertz drivers. 28%?! Wow.
And they Dyns seemed to have the most accuracy from driver to driver.

The WT3 results from the 'optimal' box are also interesting. You'll note that some drivers (such as the Alpine F1) have a double impedance spike, which I find a bit odd. I've only seen this in a ported enclosure. Just struck me as odd.

Also, something that caught my eye was the impedance/phase plot of the Morel 3" driver. Nearly ruler flat up to 3khz, yet ranked as one of the poorest drivers. Guess it goes to show you that even nominal results on a graph are no substitue for your ears.

I'll have some more time to check it out tomorrow. I'd like to populate the data into excel and see if there's a relation to the % difference and how they ranked, and also the fs of the driver in the optimal enclosure to how it ranked.
Hmmm...

Thanks again, Jerry (and crew).

- Erin

Edit: Question: You noted that you used two different sized boxes. You noted that you were shooting for a Qtc of .707. However, I didn't see in the review that you did, in fact, load or unload a box of needed size so that you would be able to get the Qtc you want. The data supports this by showing varying Qtc values for each WT3 sweep in the enclosure. This seems to be to be an inhibitor to the test. Can you explain why you placed so much emphasis on the nominal Qtc rating of .707, yet you did not desire to achieve it during the actual test?

Sorry to start flinging poo already, but I found the emphasis placed on the nominal Qtc combined with the fact that you did not achieve this value or close to it in each test ironic. Maybe Gary of Jeff would like to field this, because I know they were helping you out with the test method. I could make arguments both for and against it. I'd just like to hear the rationale why you chose not to do this.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

appreciate the work done folks, glad to see DIYMA is getting back to its roots to some degree

seems that the bandpass chosen would limit the potential of those drivers designed to play a wider band, just maybe

and why did you all decide not present the distortion data, and or frequency response info?

there is a lot of QUALITY subjective information, but it almost makes discussion impossible to a certain degree without presenting the FR data as a basis, to overcome say a) Car vs home, wider bandpass, driver tuning, sensitivity vs power, and of course "he" heard vs "we" heard etc

very shocked at the tier 4/ and especially 5 drivers

stakes big guts though to take the time to do this work, and put it out there for consumption A+ folks

newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 JDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enough

When you have a chance please send results to me please valuetl@yahoo.com

2015 Nissan GTR Premium Gun Metal Gray.
JDMRB1ODY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 spag_bace will become famous soon enoughspag_bace will become famous soon enoughspag_bace will become famous soon enoughspag_bace will become famous soon enoughspag_bace will become famous soon enoughspag_bace will become famous soon enough

scan 12M never disappoints!!
spag_bace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 131 Nass027 will become famous soon enoughNass027 will become famous soon enoughNass027 will become famous soon enoughNass027 will become famous soon enoughNass027 will become famous soon enoughNass027 will become famous soon enough

A masterful job Jerry.A ton of info to keep the mind spinning.Now it's time for bed so i can get up again in a few hours and read it all again!Again,great job!!
Nass027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 kilokhan will become famous soon enoughkilokhan will become famous soon enoughkilokhan will become famous soon enoughkilokhan will become famous soon enoughkilokhan will become famous soon enoughkilokhan will become famous soon enough

Any Kind Souls Send to me at
kilokhan @ hotmal.com
kilokhan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 habagat will become famous soon enoughhabagat will become famous soon enoughhabagat will become famous soon enoughhabagat will become famous soon enoughhabagat will become famous soon enoughhabagat will become famous soon enough

Please send me the results as well. My email ad is joysagem@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Last edited by habagat; 05-08-2010 at 05:20 AM..
habagat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 163 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

I see you guys put in a lot of time and hard work on the test. Great job and a A+ for effort.

But Hmmmmm, I will comment later on the results.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 gutz will become famous soon enoughgutz will become famous soon enoughgutz will become famous soon enoughgutz will become famous soon enoughgutz will become famous soon enoughgutz will become famous soon enough

Got the results , Great test!
GOOD JOB !

Can I post the results on our israeli main audio forum? ( carsforum.co.il )

HU : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amplifiers : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : KnuKonceptz , Sommer , Neutrik
gutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 153 matdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to matdotcom2000

You can click on it below.... THANKS FOR DOING THE TEST again!!!!!

Last edited by ErinH; 10-25-2012 at 04:21 PM..
matdotcom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 118 WuNgUn will become famous soon enoughWuNgUn will become famous soon enoughWuNgUn will become famous soon enoughWuNgUn will become famous soon enoughWuNgUn will become famous soon enoughWuNgUn will become famous soon enough

...and the winner is??
WuNgUn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 Miguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enough

WOOO!! , ESOTAR2 is the best
Miguel mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 163 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Ok I read over the results some more and I have a few question about the subjective listening test part.

If a driver were tonally accurate but were unable to create any real feeling or emotion to the music, they were not overly detailed, and did not produce an accurate sound stage. An increase in the high pass crossover frequency or slope would seem to help.

How does it rank lower then a driver with the following subjective comments. Is it the info in Bold above?

play with some detail but lacked richness and depth, sounding very dead and lifeless on most musical passages.

or

Detailed but dry with not much more to offer aside from great looks. These are great to show off as long as the speakers stay off.

or

sound very distorted and therefore makes it almost impossible to decipher what you are hearing. There were some high frequency detail aspects during songs, but the overall detail was poor due to the muted and muffled instrumentation.

or

the Speaker created an almost hollow quality to the music, struggled to produce an accurate soundstage with instrumentation overpowering the voices at inappropriate times. The only redeeming quality with these speakers was their ability to play male and female vocals with some sense of accuracy.

or even this comment

The sound stage seemed well placed with just a fair amount of depth. Male and Female vocals sounded good with a full, pleasant quality, although a little too gruff and flat sounding on lower vocals and music. There was nothing these seemed to do bad, but nothing really great either as the music was not real lively and lacked emotion. One tester noted, “nothing really wrong, but they put me to sleep.”

ect....

The reason I ask is Tonal Accuracy is what most look for and not being overly detailed.

If it is the comments in Bold here is my take.

Sound stage in mobile audio has tons more to do with install then the driver itself. Emotion Feel is a human emotion and as I have done tests on many drives, the ones that gave me the most Emotion feel were not even the best in the test. If I missed something in your comments please point them out.

Not being combative or knocking the results and anyone who knows me would tell you the same. I just would like to be a little clear on the subjective part of the test. Maybe there was something not being said, but I doubt it as seen from some of the other comments.

Also from my understanding it was supposed to be more a technical testing then a subjective one, but the ranking was done on subjective listening. The Tier is just another way of ranking or placement based on the subjective listening, Not based on technical info.

So this quote seem not to be exactly true. Still some spoon feeding and not exactly tested on there own merits.
Nothing against you MiniVanMan just using your post as you had connect with the reviewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
Yeah, this wasn't a competition. Each driver was evaluated on it's own merits and will have comments published. I haven't seen the data, and I've only had it briefly explained, but it's going to be some sort of tier placement, that is categorical.

The initial idea was to do a "shootout" to see which was the best, and which ones performed to their price. Then as the process, and testers developed a more professional method for the testing it became apparent that there can't be a "best". That's too subjective and an extremely inaccurate way to evaluate a group of drivers that all have different strengths, weaknesses and need to be applied within a system uniquely. Which is essentially every driver.

Unfortunately, I think the individuals that like to be spoon fed will not be happy with the final data. They're going to have to read through a lot of information to find out which Speaker meets their needs. There just won't be a "buy this speaker because it's the best".

and

x2 on this question: Can you explain why you placed so much emphasis on the nominal Qtc rating of .707, yet you did not desire to achieve it during the actual test?

But once more I still say great job and I truly thank you guy/gals for the effort it took to do this.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 105 eng92 will become famous soon enougheng92 will become famous soon enougheng92 will become famous soon enougheng92 will become famous soon enougheng92 will become famous soon enougheng92 will become famous soon enough

Nobody seemed too concerned when he revealed the reasoning behind the enclosure volumes 3 weeks ago.
4" Midrange Comparison Shootout - Dyn, Scan, Hat, More

There was a lot of emphasis placed on Qtc in the report. I took it to mean that if you decide to go with this speaker, then this is the enclosure size you want to shoot for to get "optimal" results.
eng92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement