LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Default GT MAT Sound Deadner Product Review

I know we all have our favorites but I just happened to get invited to a LOCAL (20 minutes from me) company today and got to see first hand quite a few products. The company is: GTMAT - Automotive Sound Deadner

I talked with Rich from Sales, Tracie from Marketing and even the owner Rhett was there. They have been catering to the Tuner/Restoration market for a little while now helping to get rid of the engine sounds and vibrations along with muffler drone. I asked them about the Car audio market but they haven't moved too far into that direction yet.

I got a few samples of some products to include some super secret unreleased version of their Brush/Roll on Liqui-Damp and will be doing a full Build log on my front doors since they still have some vibrations using the eDead product.

My favorite part was the warehouse... Theirs? The owner Rhett and Rich sat in my truck and got to hear how awesome a Hybrid audio front stage sounds like Needless to say, I bet they would have been Shocked as hell if I told I told them I didn't have any tweeters!

If you want to try it out for yourself, you can send them an email or give them a call and get a free 10 SQ FT Sample, here is the pictures of what I received:

The below is my quick review of the product to show the typical application and a bit of proof of concept:

Empty Can Test:
[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 1 - GTMAT Product Review - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Single strip test, one strip test 50 Mil:

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 2 - Single 50 Mil Strip - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Dual strip test, 50 Mil:

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 2B - Dual 50 Mil Strip - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Liqui-Damp "X" - This is the new stuff not yet released. It is super thick!!!! I only applied one coat, and did a half ass job at it... Check the results:

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 5 - Liqui-Damp "X" - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 5B - Liqui-Damp "X" - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Finally... My door tests... These are the before I used the GTMAT products so you can hear a difference:

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 6 - Door Knock and Panel - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

This is the "After" I put a single layer of 80 Mil on the outside panel of the door, and brushed the inside facing panels of the door with the new Liqui-Damp stuff:

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 7 - Door Knock and Panel - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Adding some Scissor Handles to the mix cause I know they are noisy

[YOUTUBE]GTMAT - Step 8 - Door Knocking test #2 - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, so that is my review, hope you find it useful.. If you want to try the product for yourself you can hit up the site below, here is the card again with the details:

- 2013 MECA Street Texas State Champion -
- 2012 MECA SQ2 Texas State Champion -
2002 Dodge Quad Cab - 1st Build Log - 2nd Build Log
2008 BMW 328i (E90) - 1st Build Log: 60%
DeanE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

Rep Power: 0 Tracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: GT MAT Sound Deadner Product Review

Thank you for the review Dean! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here. I am new to the entire mobile audio world but will do my best to address your concerns.

-Tracie
GTMat
Tracie@GTMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forums Tracie!

Don't forget to give the folks a call for your free sample. I did get quite a few txt's and IM's on the free sample...

@Tracie - Can you provide the details on how these guys can take advantage of the free sample shown in the card?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2012   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

Rep Power: 0 Tracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura about

No advertising unless you are an upgraded vendor

ANT was here
Tracie@GTMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 jriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enough

I sent an email Sunday and got a response in less than an hour. My free sample arrived today. Thanks!

One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

jriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #6

Banned

Rep Power: 0 PaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enough

I can tell you from experience with 3 different mats, if it comes out of the box that crumpled up it will be very difficult to get it flat. Most of the mat deadener companies sell their product in a flat box with mayb a fold or two (for the larger sheets).

just my .02
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I can tell you from experience with 3 different mats, if it comes out of the box that crumpled up it will be very difficult to get it flat. Most of the mat deadener companies sell their product in a flat box with mayb a fold or two (for the larger sheets).

just my .02
Thanks PaulD! I had no problems with it at all, it was very flexible. Did you get your free sample?

Old 11-08-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of light

^that and the aluminum thickness is whats making me shy away. The ideal damping material would have the constraining layer as thick as the material your trying to dampen. Of course, this isnt practical, but 4mil thick aluminum is on the thin side. The website also says you can do multiple layers to deaden further, but fails to state that each consecutive layer is less effective than the one before it.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 LovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enough

I really hate doing this but feel obliged to steer fellow diyma members in the same respect and manner they have guided me, in the "right" direction.
It would be a great dis-service to this community if I did not share my thoughts and experiences with GTmat.

About 5-6 months ago I was in need of more sound deadener but my pockets were empty. I searched ebay in hopes. Needless to say I ordered 10-15 sq ft of GTmat or whatever amount for $40, to get some deadener on my 2009 accord coupes floors.

I began unraveling the GTmat and applying it to the floor of the passenger side. My first thoughts I like the butyl adhesive easy to work with seemed to stick well. However I felt the pieces I was cutting were extremely light where is the mass? At this point in time I was taking a strength of materials class in my mech eng curriculum, consisting of destroying matter and studying its effects, where and why it failed.
I took the GTmat and began to litterally pull it apart in a vice to examine its shear. This unearthed the Fact that this GTmat it made with no aluminum whatsoever. The small mil specified by manufacturer can be very decieving as it looks and bends like a cheap aluminum however after examination with my eyes and microscope I was able to clearly see the mat is made out of some sort of poly plastic material/coating and painted in a way that it will resemble Aluminum. The paint would not flake or deteriorate job well done. As well as polys usually have a higher percentage of elongation, that they were able tame which was apparent in my stress testing, again the paint did a pretty amazing job holding with the minimal stretch when the shear was applied.

I emailed them with my findings. I was given a full refund and told to keep the rest of the product as they didnt even want it back. I thanked them for their quick response and action and told them I would not report my findings on ebays feedback, they did not ask this, I just am simply not that person.

Money is pretty tight nowadays and Again I truly apologize for presenting this.

Last edited by LovesMusic; 11-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: typo
LovesMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
The website also says you can do multiple layers to deaden further, but fails to state that each consecutive layer is less effective than the one before it.
Thanks for the feedback man but I am not sure I understand this part, can you explain it for me?

Old 11-08-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMusic View Post
I took the GTmat and began to litterally pull it apart in a vice to examine its shear. This unearthed the Fact that this GTmat with no aluminum whatsoever. The small mil size can be very decieving as it looks and bends like a cheap aluminum however after examination with my eyes and microscope I was able to clearly see the mat is made out of some sort of poly plastic material/coating and painted in a way that it will resemble Aluminum.
Whoa...!!! You're saying the top is not aluminum? Could be my own ignorance but I thought it was!

Old 11-08-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 LovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enoughLovesMusic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanE10 View Post
Whoa...!!! You're saying the top is not aluminum? Could be my own ignorance but I thought it was!
Yes, The top is NOT aluminum

Had I not been in the mechanical Eng and materials field I too would have never known any better. They apparently did some research in attaining a high profit margin.

sorry deanE
Old 11-08-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Yes, The top is NOT aluminum

Had I not been in the mechanical Eng and materials field I too would have never known any better. They apparently did some research in attaining a high profit margin.

sorry deanE
Is it even metal at all?

Old 11-08-2012   #14

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Is it even metal at all?
No.

It is completely made of plastic/rubber polymers.
Old 11-08-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of lightTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback man but I am not sure I understand this part, can you explain it for me?
Basically, the first layer you put on is actively damping the metal it is applied to. The aluminum's job is to try to maintain shape, while the butyl flexes with the sheet metal. The deformation of the deadening is what deadens the vibration. The next layer you put on is only actively damping the first layer of deadening, and so forth for every additional layer. So the second layer of deadening is trying to prevent the first layer of deadening from deforming.

Old 11-08-2012   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 jriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enough

So I opened my box of free sample tonight. Wow this stuff is THIN and light. Just do not sees this matching up well performance wise with known high quality sound deadening product. Sorry.

One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

jriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'll stay with RAAMmat for now...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
No.

It is completely made of plastic/rubber polymers.
Well, this is wrong, I tested it tonight.. if it is not aluminum then it shouldn't be conductive... I will post my tests tomorrow. it is definitely aluminum or some other metal for sure.

Old 11-08-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Basically, the first layer you put on is actively damping the metal it is applied to. The aluminum's job is to try to maintain shape, while the butyl flexes with the sheet metal. The deformation of the deadening is what deadens the vibration. The next layer you put on is only actively damping the first layer of deadening, and so forth for every additional layer. So the second layer of deadening is trying to prevent the first layer of deadening from deforming.
I get it.. so your saying that the first layer should be enough and by adding in a second layer you're only dampening the aluminum of the first layer so it's really not beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggs View Post
So I opened my box of free sample tonight. Wow this stuff is THIN and light. Just do not sees this matching up well performance wise with known high quality sound deadening product. Sorry.
Do a test like I did, people said the same thing about the Flashing (Peel & Seal) you can buy at Lowes but it actually works...

Last edited by DeanE10; 11-08-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-08-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Pretty much, and the thicker the aluminum, the better it will work. Sometime in the spring i plan to get a test set up using an accelerometer, and the leading deadeners, as well as peal n seal. Maybe ill order a sample of this stuff too.

Old 11-08-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Do it yourself

Rep Power: 138 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pretty much, and the thicker the aluminum, the better it will work. Sometime in the spring i plan to get a test set up using an accelerometer, and the leading deadeners, as well as peal n seal. Maybe ill order a sample of this stuff too.
That would be cool. Hope it works out.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Well, this is wrong, I tested it tonight.. if it is not aluminum then it shouldn't be conductive... I will post my tests tomorrow. it is definitely aluminum or some other metal for sure.

Take note of the ripples, Aluminum does not exhibit these shear characteristics. This would obviously become much more apparent under a microscope. could be a cheapy dont matter.

Heated rubber up some, took a sheet of aluminum foil and began pressing it in, waited till the rubber hardened back up some and put it in a vice and sheared it just as i did the GTmat.

Should be very similiar mil thickness. Sure we can get into why this is such an inaccurate test haha i wouldnt even call it a test, however it should explain Shear characteristics of aluminum a bit better and how they identify a particle specimen. Not only are its shear characteristics off but so is the GTmat's aluminum percent elongation.
Rubber is a nonlinear material which comes under hyper elastic materials. Deformation will be very much greater compared to linear materials(Aluminum).

Take any proven sound deadener, and attempt to attain similar shear characteristics as the GTmat. Chances are they are going to be similar to the aluminum foil. But what do I know... its conductive

I am no artist but Id bet that lots of artists use aluminum flake or other alloys and metals mixed in their paints to give them that "metal" look.

Just want our boys here making informed descions.. Ill leave it at that, buyer beware

Last edited by LovesMusic; 11-09-2012 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Take any proven sound deadener, and attempt to attain similar shear characteristics as the GTmat. Chances are they are going to be similar to the aluminum foil. But what do I know... its conductive
You have to understand my point and reasoning here... I put my name on this saying it's a great product and cheaper alternative... Because of that I have to defend it. I am more than willing to admit if I am wrong, but I just don't think I am, just like you don't think you are...

Not trying to insult your intelligence here but you said it wasn't metal at all and that wasn't correct on my samples. It is some type of metal as it is conductive but non magnetic. Maybe it is aluminum now and wasn't back then?

The cool thing about GTMat is they are just down the road so I am going to go there today to discuss this with them. Also, I plan to discuss changing the thickness if in fact the top layer is aluminum.

There is also a Metal Mart company just 2 blocks from there as well, so I am going to take a sample with me and have them tell me what the layer on top is.

Old 11-09-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 103 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

I'll just leave this here...Metallised film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 123 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Just put a heat gun to the suspected plastic film. If it melts... MYTH CONFIRMED

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote