For those who own a Zapco DSP Z8, thoughts ? - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013   #26

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 119 Dillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: For those who own a Zapco DSP Z8, thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
the gui is basically the same as the previous zapco gui, with some small changes in options.

which is to say, very easy to use and very intuitive.

Erin, i would love to see a side by side technical comparison of the Z8 Versus the DSP6, can you arrange that if i can find someone with a 6 to send you? that is my main concern moving forward getting back into the line again, is whether or not the drastic reduction in price is affecting performance.

b
Erin-

I have my DSP-6 sitting here and before I sell it, it would be great to get a side by side comparison of the Z8 and the DSP 6. Putting the Z8 into my install and I was a little worried on any degradation of output moving from my full Symbalink system that was previously in there.

Just let me know where I have to ship it and hopefully someone will donate a Z8. If you could get it done within a week I could ship both units to you for the testing.

2010 Infiniti G37S Dynaudio MD 102's (sails) / MD 142's (doors) / MW 182's (doors) / MW 190's (IB) / DSP Z8 / AG 650.6 (TW & MR) / Reference 650.6 (MB & SW)
Dillyyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #27

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I wouldn't mind doing the test but it would probably take me a couple months before I could get to it. I'm stacked with all sorts of other commitments. Also, I don't have a dsp8 to test against.

Truth be told, I think most of everything you'd want to know can be found by just playing around with the software.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #28

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 119 Dillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
I wouldn't mind doing the test but it would probably take me a couple months before I could get to it. I'm stacked with all sorts of other commitments. Also, I don't have a dsp8 to test against.

Truth be told, I think most of everything you'd want to know can be found by just playing around with the software.
I could hold on and provide my DSP 6 for a couple of months, but the Z8 will be installed well before then and unavailable from me. I think what Bing was alluding to was a comparison that provided empirical data and possibly one in which that data could help define which unit has more of an advantage, qualitatively speaking.

2010 Infiniti G37S Dynaudio MD 102's (sails) / MD 142's (doors) / MW 182's (doors) / MW 190's (IB) / DSP Z8 / AG 650.6 (TW & MR) / Reference 650.6 (MB & SW)

Old 02-17-2013   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 163 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

Bing wants to know is the cheaper price mean its a cheaper sounding processor.

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #30
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 185 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

yes, its not about the software as it is virtually identical.

my biggest worry is the price being so much lower, is there any disadvantages.

but it may just come down to me ordering one to play with

b

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #31

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Bing wants to know is the cheaper price mean its a cheaper sounding processor.
We should be able to get a good idea of that by having a subject matter expert give feedback on the internals of the Z8 in comparison with that of the DSP 6.

Old 02-19-2013   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 163 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

Bing I tweaked with it extensively yesterday and I must say its pretty damn good. I have zero experience with the older zapco processor but it trumps the h800 in sound quality to my ears and has less floor noise just my .02.

Call me if u want to discuss

Team Zapco
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
Old 02-20-2013   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 jpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enough

I have checked the new zapco products thread, and zapco's web site, but I can't find out if the remote for the Z8 is out yet?. Does anyone know? Thanx. JPS
jpswanberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Very interested in this over the other units. I didn't think there was a controller though..

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 JVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the rough

Bump.

Interested to hear more impressions.

Anyone know how us Canucks can acquire one of these?
JVD240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Sonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enough

Can someone explain the difference between tuning TA and phase?

What are the advantages of having an adjustable phase as long as you've got TA?

Sonus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013   #37

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Can one of you guys tell me the dimensions of the dsp8?

edit: it's on their site. duhhhhhh.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log

Last edited by ErinH; 03-02-2013 at 12:23 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Sonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enoughSonus will become famous soon enough

It's 222mm wide, 180mm deep and 57mm tall.

Including the RCAs female connectors it is 186mm deep and including the mounting feet it is 252mm wide.

Hope that might help someone

Old 03-03-2013   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

^Good info. Thanks!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Very curious about this dsp. Sub'd
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013   #41

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 119 preston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enough

CAn you save multiple setups with this DSP ?

Also this might be a dumb question given the normal ablities of these things, but I do get confused as some of these do things different ways, but I want to run L+R or L-R mono rear fill (bandpassed) as described in other posts. Is this possible ?

IOW, I'd like to run the normal F/R/Sub cables to the box, and output Hi/Lo front signals, rear summed bandpassed mono signal, and sub signal, and have the option for a midrange signal up front as well. THat's 8 channels out, but my concern is over being able to sum and subtract input channels to create output channels.
preston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013   #42

DIYMA freshman

The new remote has four presets so should be able to store different ones.

I'm also doing rear fill with my Z8, but will only limit band width with it and then sum at the amp output. Haven't found anything in the software that will sum the rear fill.

Old 03-27-2013   #43

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 m@tty will become famous soon enoughm@tty will become famous soon enoughm@tty will become famous soon enoughm@tty will become famous soon enoughm@tty will become famous soon enoughm@tty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonus View Post
The new remote has four presets so should be able to store different ones.

I'm also doing rear fill with my Z8, but will only limit band width with it and then sum at the amp output. Haven't found anything in the software that will sum the rear fill.
Are you using the remote?
Could you post up the dimensions of it?
m@tty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013   #44

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@tty View Post
Are you using the remote?
Could you post up the dimensions of it?
No sorry, haven't even got my DSP-Z8 installed yet. There are pics and dimensions in the Zapco - new product lines thread.

It's also mentioned in the DSP-Z8 manuall

Old 03-27-2013   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Jfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enough

I should have my z8r by the weekend, I'll let you know as soon as I get it.
Jfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013   #46

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 119 preston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enough

I assume that manual is paper only. If there is an electronic copy or download, I'd sure like to read it.
preston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Jfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enough

It comes on a cd with the DSP, no hard copy.
Jfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013   #48

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Sound Designs Home Theater
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 70 rich20730 will become famous soon enoughrich20730 will become famous soon enoughrich20730 will become famous soon enoughrich20730 will become famous soon enoughrich20730 will become famous soon enoughrich20730 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonus View Post
Am I doing things wrong or aren't the eq values free to choose? I put in 400hz for first band, then 800hz and when I try to input 1600hz for the third it defaults to 16hz only?
You probably figured this out already, but in case you were still wondering. You can choose any EQ value. I'm using the DC reference amps and I had this issue too. It's kind of like the "auto correct" function when you're typing on your iPhone. If you type in 160hz or 1600hz etc. it will automatically fill in 16000hz. All you need to do is hit back space and hit enter and that should fix it. Sometimes you have to do it twice. If you want to avoid it altogether you can just type in non-round numbers like 1601hz or 1599hz.

Stock Head-unit --> AC Matrix, RF BLD --> Zapco DC 1000.4 --> Dual Exodus Anarchy, DC 350.2 --> Scan 10F, DC 200.2 --> Scan D3004-6020, AC ESP-3 --> DC 350.2 --> Scan 10F/Dayton ND16FA, DC 200.2 --> ID CTX65cs, DC 1100.1 --> (2)IDmax 12V3 IB
rich20730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

OP

Rep Power: 147 goodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enough

How do you guys like the sound of this unit? Is it transparent?
goodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I'm liking it a lot

Team Zapco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement