Silver Flutes = Smooth, Low, Happiness - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013   #26

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 99 indytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished road

Mine sound meh so far. My fault though. I still need to finish my door deadening and get some more tuning in.

indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013   #27

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 66 mojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Silver Flutes = Smooth, Low, Happiness

I've got the outer skin fully covered, and most of the inner skin as well. I've also got a Deflex pad behind them glued over the sound deadener. Can't hurt. They're pretty cheap, and can't take on water like a foam could.

2008 Mazda3: Android, RF 3sixty.3, JL XD600/6, Silver Flutes, Seas Neos, JL 250/1, Infinity 860W
mojozoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 axiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried a 3 way setup using these woofers? I've been thinking about picking up a pair of CDT EX30 crossover, 5" SilverFlute woofer for the midrange and the 6.5 or 8" in the door as the woofer, not decided on tweeter but maybe one of the Vifa ring tweeters.

5" and tweeter would be in a sealed up kickpanel similar to Qlogic but deaden with hardening puddy and mdf baffle/brace and the woofer would be in a deaden somewhat sealed up door.

Really with all the drivers and the Xover it would be well under $400.
axiom26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013   #29

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 66 mojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enough

I'm going to get some of the 5" Silver Flutes as well to put in my 68 AMX. I've got a few crossovers lying around - pretty much anything is workable with the Flutes since they can run so high. Just need to find a nice set of tweeters with angle mounts.

2008 Mazda3: Android, RF 3sixty.3, JL XD600/6, Silver Flutes, Seas Neos, JL 250/1, Infinity 860W
Old 04-05-2013   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 130 Brian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Since i had a pair of these lying around i modeled them assuming my doors were 2cuft enclosures (their actual volume).
The F3 bass roll-off frequency of the silver flues was an awfully high 153Hz. No wonder they sounded weak and lifeless in my application.
Contrast that to my HAT Imagines (95Hz) and the stunning Dayton RS 180 (58Hz)
Did you include the effect of the car's transfer function in your modelling?

Brian Steele
www.diysubwoofers.org
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Did you include the effect of the car's transfer function in your modelling?
no- just using the numbers as a relative comparison between the drivers.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013   #32

DIYMA Novice

The doors on my Mazda3 measure out to approximately 2.0 cu ft as well, and the F3 I get from actual near field measurement is 60 Hz.

I don't think you can model a typical Car door as a sealed box and get accurate results. Most people seem to look at them as IB installations, but I don't know how to get Winisd to do IB. When I make the box really large it doesn't seem to influence the result much.

It's possible that the published specs on the drivers are incorrect as well.

Old 04-07-2013   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojozoom View Post
The doors on my Mazda3 measure out to approximately 2.0 cu ft as well, and the F3 I get from actual near field measurement is 60 Hz.

I don't think you can model a typical Car door as a sealed box and get accurate results. Most people seem to look at them as IB installations, but I don't know how to get Winisd to do IB. When I make the box really large it doesn't seem to influence the result much.

It's possible that the published specs on the drivers are incorrect as well.
understood. however since i am tired of trying drivers based on word of mouth and other review related info i decided to try and model the response as if the doors were sealed enclosures. they are fairly tight if you do a good job of sealing them and have the window up.
for a lot of drivers, especially DIY, you can see a correlation. i have run (3) different 6.5" drivers in my doors, the silver flutes, focal 165V30 and the HAT imagines l6. when modeled they have approximate F3s of 142Hz, 72 Hz and 97 Hz respectively.
all seem to bear this out when you hear them installed.
i liked the focals and they did play lower but they also had a bad resonance peak.
if you model larger e.g. 8" drivers you start seeing lower F3 numbers. it is what you would expect.
i modeled many 6.5 drivers and the one with the lowest F3 is the Dayton rs180- F3 of 53 Hz. many people love the bass these have. unfortunately they are too deep for my doors.
i am seriously considering the dynaudio esotec 172. they are a smaller 8" driver and they show an F3 of 63 Hz.
it may not be a direct apples to apples comparison nor does this number predict every sound characteristic of the driver but it is a basis for comparison as opposed to just trying drivers with only the information of other's experiences which include so many variables.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 146 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

I know there's a couple of vendors/websites out there, but which do you guys recommend buying these from?

I want to try them out (both in Car and shelfs) but wanted opinions in who has the best price and overall customer service. Thanks.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 226 Horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Horsemanwill Send a message via MSN to Horsemanwill Send a message via Yahoo to Horsemanwill

The Madisound Speaker Store

that's where I got mine from

HU P01
Tru SB6 running ES ultra full body and (2) jbl w12gti
Tru S25 runing Mids 4 Silver Flute W17RC38-08
Horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013   #36

DIYMA Novice

Me too. They were $70 shipped and came in 4 days, packaged perfectly with form fitting styrofoam.

Old 04-07-2013   #37

DIYMA Novice

It's probably worth mentioning here that I looked at both the RS 180 and the Silver Flutes initially. My Hertz tweets were originally crossed at 3500 hz, and the RS 180 is only rated to 2200 Hz, plus I've seen independant tests that indicate its FR gets nutty above 1200 Hz.

The RS 180 is only rated for 60 watts rms while the Flute is rated for 80 watts, and there is also the price difference - the RS 180 costs 70% more then the Flute.

So in a 3-way the RS 180 is a no brainer if you have the depth, but in a 2-way it would be tougher to match up with some tweeters.

Last edited by mojozoom; 04-08-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Old 04-08-2013   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 99 indytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished road

As my flutes break in they are sounding much nicer. I'm very pleased with them so far. Still have some tweaking and door work to do but so far, I would recommend people give these a shot for sure. Worst case scenario, you don't like them, resell them on here and don't end up losing a bunch in resale value.

Old 04-09-2013   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 Heterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enough

Madisound is awesome. I bought a pair of silver flute 6.5" 4ohm units and blew one up in the first day - probably my fault though the other side did just fine with the same setup. Anyway, I contacted madisound and they sent a new woofer out to me inside of a few days, free of charge. They have my business for life.

PS, I love them. I actually ditched a pair of dyn mw163gts for them. I should say the dyns will hold more Power without distorting but only just, and I was trying to beat the life out of my midbasses and didn't want to be on the hook for $300-400 if I blew a woofer. The flutes have held the 150+ watts rms I've been giving them for a year now, highpassed at 80 Hz 12db/oct in the sealed and deadened doors of my 98 Jetta.
Heterosapian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 146 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Good to read that, i just placed my order for a pair. Can't wait to try them, worse casescenario I'll remove them from my vehicle and Build a small sealed enclosure for them.
Old 04-14-2013   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Got mine yesterday, nicely packed. Am thinking of doing a 3 way with these as i bought some 5.25" (600 -8khz) and couple if pairs of small 1" tweeters (made in France, 6khz-20khz), the silver flutes will be 60hz -2khz, i just haven't figured out the slopes and if i want to go active or passive . Any recommendations, i can use all the help i can get.

- Silver Flute W17RC38-08 6-1/2" Wool Cone
w17rc38-08

- Aurasound NS525-255-8A 5.25" Paper Cone 8 Ohm
ns525-255-8a

- Audax TM010A1 Neodymium Car Tweeter 4 Ohm (will Wire them series to create a 8 Ohm load

This was a all under 100 bucks, without passive crossovers (that's why i might go active.)

Last edited by TrickyRicky; 04-14-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 04-14-2013   #42

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 axiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enoughaxiom26 will become famous soon enough

I was going to use a set of CDT EX30 passives for my Silver Flute 3way. All silver flute woofers 6.5 and 5.25 for the mid plus maybe the Vifa ring rad tweeter. I think the xover points for the passive is 250 and 5k.
axiom26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

If the graph on post #10 is what to expect from the silver flutes, then would the 5.25" be even needed, just hope they blends well at 6khz.
Old 05-05-2013   #44

DIYMA Novice

I stumbled across this today - it looks like the SIlver Flute 6.5" woofer was used in the the original Gemme Tanto Speaker set. They retailed at $5,500 a pair and were evidently worth every penny.

Gemme audio Tanto Review

Old 05-07-2013   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 133 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojozoom View Post
I stumbled across this today - it looks like the SIlver Flute 6.5" woofer was used in the the original Gemme Tanto Speaker set. They retailed at $5,500 a pair and were evidently worth every penny.

Gemme audio Tanto Review
The 8-incher is used in the same fashion (2-way no low-pass and single cap for high-pass) by Decware.

Decware's Audiophile High Efficiency Bookshelf Loudspeaker / Model DM945

2014 Toyota Tundra: Pioneer AVH-X4800BS Arc XDI1100.5, NVX XSP6ACT, Sundown SD-3 10
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stereomojo.com/Tanto%20Re...antoReview.htm

That tweeter looks like a Vifa XT25... hm

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013   #47

DIYMA Novice

They said it was an XT19. I like those Decware's - that looks like something I could build.

Old 05-08-2013   #48

DIYMA freshman

I took mine out of the Car (selling it) now I want to make some home speakers with them. Anyone know of any good plans? I also have the xt25 to use with them.

Old 05-08-2013   #49

DIYMA Novice

If you could research how to copy that original Gemme Tanto design I'd be right with you. It's some sort of horn / transmission line hybrid that'll run the Flute's to 20 hz.

Old 05-09-2013   #50

DIYMA Novice

I found some T/S parameters on the P/E website that a guy had measured. Here's what he found:

Drive Unit Parameters
Silver Flute W17RC38S-4
Fs 50.56 Hz
Re 3.81 Ohm
Qms 2.08
Qes 0.55
Sd 132.0 cm2
Vas 15.1 l
Xmax peak 5.00 mm
Le 0.41 mH
Le2 0.00 mH
Re2 0.00 Ohm
Nominal Power 20.0 W

Sponsored Links
Advertisement