Silver Flutes = Smooth, Low, Happiness - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 mojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enough

Default Silver Flutes = Smooth, Low, Happiness

I just switched from Hertz ESK drivers to 6.5" Silver Flutes from Madisound, and wow what a difference.

They go much lower, so I cross at 65 Hz now, which really reduces some of the sub localization.

Piano and sax are so much smoother than with the Hertz drivers. Really nice. For $70 a pair shipped I'm overjoyed with these.

2008 Mazda3: Android, RF 3sixty.3, JL XD600/6, Silver Flutes, Seas Neos, JL 250/1, Infinity 860W
mojozoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Silver Flutes = Smooth, Low, Happiness

glad to hear you like them. how is the midbass punch?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40118 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

From reading some wise peoples posts, it seems a lot of the punch comes from the time alignment/crossover between subs and mids. So if they go low I would assume they can be made to have punch. And with 5mm xmax I see why he says they play low.

Link to them for ease of research: The Madisound Speaker Store
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 mojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enoughmojozoom will become famous soon enough

They have a much harder punch then my Hertz ESK's did. The door panel, side mirror, and floor are all shaking more then before with each bass drum hit, but I'm also crossing them at 65 Hz instead of the 75 that the Hertz units struggled with.

I just beat on them for 4 hours straight and am even more impressed. I stumbled into a track on a Chemical Brothers disc that was a low sine sweep drop that was really amazing on these Flutes.

I'll be modding to door panel soon to cut out the lame factory plastic grill and then I'll post some more on the results. I suppose I can run some near field sweeps on them with a flat eq so you can see what their curve starts out like in a typical door install.

2008 Mazda3: Android, RF 3sixty.3, JL XD600/6, Silver Flutes, Seas Neos, JL 250/1, Infinity 860W
Old 02-24-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 SPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura about

I'm using the 8" versions in my build (see '00 Neon Dash Build in the build log section) and just had a chance to hear them today and I'm blown away! I had them mounted IB in the doors before and they weren't all that great, but this is much better. Pic below for setup; they're in about .5 ft^3 sealed running 200hz and down (yes, all the way down) for now, I haven't done any tuning beyond basic levels and crossover settings.

I only have one powered for now but can feel a distinct "snap" in the top of my chest and neck on stuff like Jamiroquai. Glad you're enjoying yours as well!

SPLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013   #6

DIYMA Novice

I've heard that the 5" versions are impressive as well.

I remembered the Chemical Brothers track - it's "Under The Influence". Give it a whirl, but test the waters at 1/3 volume first. I had to make a quick grab for the volume control as it comes out of nowhere.

Old 02-25-2013   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 230 Horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Horsemanwill Send a message via MSN to Horsemanwill Send a message via Yahoo to Horsemanwill

can't wait till i get my dual 6.5s in my doors.

HU P01
Mosconi Class A running ES ultra full body
Mosconi AS 200.4(bridged) running Stevens Audio MB8 (4ohm)
Mosconi AS 300.2(bridged) running B&C 18RBX100
Horsemanwill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

novice

Rep Power: 76 steppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enough

I bought a set of the 6.5"s over the holidays with some seas tweets. I've been running them with some old eclipse passive xovers and a Niles si-275 in some small enclosures on my workbench. They sound fantastic and have some pretty awesome kick to them.
I've been assembling components to run these active, undecided if they will go in the doors or some kickpanels.
You can't go wrong for 30$ each..
steppinrazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

These Silver Flute speakers are very nice sounding drivers.... I think the wool cone is a strong reason.
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013   #10

DIYMA Novice

I know some people don't entirely beleive the freq response curve for these that's posted on the Madisound site, so I did a quick near field measurement today with one of the Flutes installed in my drivers door.

Absolutely amazing results. The black line is the data posted by Madisound, and the green line is my test. I never expected them to be this close, especially in a car door install.

Old 03-03-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 SPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojozoom View Post
I know some people don't entirely beleive the freq response curve for these that's posted on the Madisound site, so I did a quick near field measurement today with one of the Flutes installed in my drivers door.

Absolutely amazing results. The black line is the data posted by Madisound, and the green line is my test. I never expected them to be this close, especially in a car door install.
Thanks! That looks really good. There's lots of talk about these drivers but not a lot of technical data.
Old 03-04-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 111 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

All this sounds almost too good to be true.

How is the midrange clarity? The speakers qts suggests it's optimized for ported enclosure. I wonder if that impacts the sound in door in any way. Was frequency response measured on axis?
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 252 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

If you are 2x above Fs, the don't worry about the T/S parameters like Qts.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
All this sounds almost too good to be true.

How is the midrange clarity? The speakers qts suggests it's optimized for ported enclosure. I wonder if that impacts the sound in door in any way. Was frequency response measured on axis?
I know the 8" (W20RC38) version has a listed QTC of .23, but I've seen it measured at about .4
Old 03-04-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Nice review, glad you found success. I had these for a while and they were very muddy with a lack of midrange clarity.
Not bad for 30 bucks but easily beaten by other (granted more expensive) components and DIY drivers.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013   #16

DIYMA Novice

I look at the Flutes as a budget solution, and I'd expect that they sound like one when compared to higher end drivers.

They have much cleaner midrange than my Hertz drivers did. The Hertz units tended to make vocals and sax sound slightly “canned”, and were bloated in the 200 Hz area so they got pretty muddy, plus they didn't reach low enough so I had to use my sub more than I wanted to.

Now here’s a real novelty. In the graph below you can compare the installed characteristic of the Hertz (orange) and the Flutes (blue), taken from the left side driver measured at my left ear. Dyns or HATs wouldn't look much different in my car, so I'd have a hard time throwing much $$ at drivers when they are all going to end up sounding like this:

That, and I'm cheap

Old 03-06-2013   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 144 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

I think I going to try these. I have the large Vifa XT25's that were the rage in the hot deals about a year ago. Ive been sitting on a set of biamp Mb quart passive xovers that are 18db slopes at 2500hz. If I can get the tweet more on axis with a cup of some sort, I think the Silver Flutes might make a killer cheap set.

In a treated door, do you think I would have any issues getting them down to about 70hz? In my case they will basically be IB in the door with dynamat. 70 is basically the max I think my 18w6 will allow.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 indytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished road

I'll be giving them a shot.

indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 230 Horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Horsemanwill Send a message via MSN to Horsemanwill Send a message via Yahoo to Horsemanwill

i have mine set at 63 with a 36 db slope right now and they are handling it fine.

HU P01
Mosconi Class A running ES ultra full body
Mosconi AS 200.4(bridged) running Stevens Audio MB8 (4ohm)
Mosconi AS 300.2(bridged) running B&C 18RBX100
Horsemanwill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #20

DIYMA Novice

I've got mine crossed at 65 Hz with a 24 db slope and they seem to be plenty happy. I'm putting about 75 rms to them though, active.

Old 03-06-2013   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 oldschool4me will become famous soon enougholdschool4me will become famous soon enougholdschool4me will become famous soon enougholdschool4me will become famous soon enougholdschool4me will become famous soon enougholdschool4me will become famous soon enough

interesting. i thought about getting some of those as the specs looked good and price tag was as well.
oldschool4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bbnatrl will become famous soon enoughbbnatrl will become famous soon enoughbbnatrl will become famous soon enoughbbnatrl will become famous soon enoughbbnatrl will become famous soon enoughbbnatrl will become famous soon enough

Do you recommend building an enclosure for the 6.5"s in the kick panel area or just running them infinite baffle type in the kick vented to the outside. Mid/highs will be ID horns (pro).. so these are mid bass duty specifically with alot of power going to em. Trying to stay away from installing/cutting the doors (69 El Camino).
bbnatrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013   #23

DIYMA Novice

I'd do some WinISD modeling before building your enclosures to see what to expect. Mine are mounted to the door in typical fashion, so should be essentially IB. I know they work well this way, delivering close to the advertised FR curve.

Old 03-30-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Since i had a pair of these lying around i modeled them assuming my doors were 2cuft enclosures (their actual volume).
The F3 bass roll-off frequency of the silver flues was an awfully high 153Hz. No wonder they sounded weak and lifeless in my application.
Contrast that to my HAT Imagines (95Hz) and the stunning Dayton RS 180 (58Hz)

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013   #25

DIYMA Novice

It looks like the F3 of the flutes in my doors is right at about 60 hz. That's working well with my 65 hz crossover point.

I just finished up revising my TA to better sync with the sub, and now the bass in my car is excellent. Especially considering the two mids and sub together cost a total of $120.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement