Sundown SD-2 8 Review - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 123 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Okay, got to run some hip-hop, rap, and dubstep through these. This portion of the review will be fairly short as the variety of sub information in these generes is fairly limited and similar. As stated above, they certainly have more output than I expected. If I had twice the power on my front stage than I do, I would crank these things and have no doubt that they would keep up. I put in some stuff that I typically use to show off SPL (AZ, Beastie Boys) and they rattled my car. They will dig as low as you like. I specifically tried to get them to bail on the lower frequencies and they wouldn’t do it. 2 negatives: 1) If you are wanting straight SPL speakers, these aren’t it. Sundown has plenty of those. However, if you mainly listen to other types of music and just throw in some rap from time to time, these are more than sufficient. Most of the time, you would not be able to tell that these are just 8s. 2) If you have really low notes going from one frequency to another very quickly, they can get a bit sloppy. Not common but, I’m trying to find some criticism.

Obviously the amount of SPL is not going to be as consistently great as some good 12s but, it could certainly hang in there with a lot of bigger subs. Whenever the sub notes get low, low in the spectrum, these play everything effortlessly though, the SPL levels fade off. Again, this is rare but, it does happen. The really low info is there and strong but there will be no hair moving. Now, higher up the sub range, these things will slam. I bumped the xo point to 100hz to play some of the hip-hop bass that doesn’t use real low information (Wu-Tang, Aseop Rock, Sage Francis) with great success. You could probably get some real good lower mid-bass out of these if they were up front or you weren’t worried about localization.

So, overall they perform very well with this type of music for 10s or 12s but phenomenal for 8s. As requested, I threw in some dubstep, which I normally don’t listen to. They will handle dubstep with no problems whatsoever. I couldn’t really get a grip on the tonality of these while listening to dubstep because the gun barrel scraping against my teeth was thankfully drowning out the music.

Classical/Jazz review coming soon.

bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Nice review !!
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 JCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enough

Dumb question. Is it safe to assume the SD-2 10" would have similar results? SQ over SPL, and small enclosure characteristics?

I really want to get lower than my Treo SSI 10" is going in a sealed ~1 ft2 enclosure.
JCJetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

JCJetta,

2 SD-2 10s and SAX 1200d - YouTube

Quote:
Yes they each get about .8 cubic ft. I would definitely recommend these subs I could not be happier. They hit hard!! And also the sound quality is really good and sound great with any kind of music you listen to. They can take lots of power to!
Old 04-13-2013   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 123 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Dumb question. Is it safe to assume the SD-2 10" would have similar results? SQ over SPL, and small enclosure characteristics?

I really want to get lower than my Treo SSI 10" is going in a sealed ~1 ft2 enclosure.
As quoted, I would imagine similar, but beefier results. I bet those lows in hip-hop would wiggle your shirt tag for you. I believe Jacob said that the underhung motor was present only in the 8s though, which is nice.

Old 04-13-2013   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Nice review !!
Thanks man! I appreciate it. I would hate to find out that you're just really excited about reviews in general. Then it wouldn't be as special.

Old 04-13-2013   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 124 SynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enough

How much do these drivers weigh?
SynRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
How much do these drivers weigh?
14-15 each. I think.

Old 04-13-2013   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well, Iím creeping up on the end of this review. I hope it was at least informative and maybe enjoyable. I donít do this for a living and am only moderately experienced but, car audio is a part of my everyday life. Jacob is the man and I truly cannot emphasize my gratitude for allowing me to be involved in getting to examine these subs.

I went into this section of the listening time a little nervous as I felt this is where the SD-2s might reveal the downside to such weighty and durable drivers. As it turns out, I have been embarrassed by my assumptions with these subs. I started with Portishead: Live at Roseland (DVD); moved to some Air; an Audionutz Eval CDs that concentrated on orchestral and big band stuff; then set my Pandora to Contemporary Jazz and Classical for a couple of days. As the result, I say WOW. (tell the kids to leave the room) Fucking wow!!! I am extremely impressed with the blending and soft but substantial presence of these subs playing this type of music. I do not understand how this type of blending can happen with such a sturdy and rigid cone material. There are 2 potential reasons for this: 1) I donít know as much as I think I do and would be better off as a tester for Dual. 2) Jacob is a warlock. Iím going with the latter.

When I started with Portishead, it was IN. VIS. IBLE. Trans-MFín-parent (Welcome back, children!) Played all of the low notes. The low ends of the keyboards, kick drum, cello, and bass flawlessly. Smooth, with all of the sound coming from my midbasses in the doors. I, at first, attributed this to the fact that this was a DVD (rather than iPod) and that, since this was an orchestra playing with a band, the album was probably mixed with an emphasis on the primary band and the orchestra being a little ambient. Well, that was dispelled when firing up the Audionutz CD. I was getting to the point of believing that the subs might not even be playing then, there was a tympani blast in one of the orchestral tracks where the subs let me know that theyíre still there. At that point, I decided to stop being so observational and just enjoy what I was hearing. Jazz, no problem. In fact, the SD-2s shined. Digging into every low of the stand-up bass like it was tying its preverbal shoe. Effortless, clean and completely transparent. The remaining two (2) days were just enjoying these beautiful subs. It might be attributed to getting used to its enclosure and power, getting ďbroken inĒ, my ears getting used to the sound, or it just found a home in the more timid music genres. Doesnít matter. They are SQ Monsters!!

Iíve taken some extra time listening to these because I WANT to find something wrong. Thatís my goal. I canít with this style of music. The SD-2s not only handle this work, they do it with little effort. I commend Jacob for being able to craft some serious SPL subs and then drop some SQ gold like this. Sundown is about to break some ground. The best thing Jacob can do is put an under hung 10Ē. Donít do a 12Ē. Thatís too much, we canít deal with it!! I donít typically listen to orchestral, big band, and jazz with my R12s but, I cannot imagine them sounding any better than the SD-2s. You can put these 8s (EIGHTS!!) against any 10 or 12 within the same price range for an SQ examination and Iíll take these every time. Not saying Iíll win every time but Iíll win more than I lose.

Okay, so, final ratings out of 10:

Rock: 9.0
Rap/Hip Hop: 8.5
Classical/Jazz: 10 (This is not an easy rating, just canít find an issue)

Total Average: 9.17 ĖIím leaning toward 9.5 if you remove Rap/Hip-hop out of the equation. Iím keeping these in my car for a while and will let you guys know if I have some different views. Great price, great sub, great company.

Old 04-14-2013   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 117 boom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enough

Are these available to the public?
boom_squid_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 undone1 will become famous soon enoughundone1 will become famous soon enoughundone1 will become famous soon enoughundone1 will become famous soon enoughundone1 will become famous soon enoughundone1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom_squid_2 View Post
Just about everywhere...

Head unit: ALpine CDA/H700
Tweeter : I.D. NX30 Kicker SX400.2
Mid's : 500 GTI/Intimid8rs on (2) Kicker SX900.4
Sub : Team Fi 18 Taramps HD6500
undone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013   #37

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Ohmgrown Car Audio
Position:
Owner/Consultant

Rep Power: 0 ohmgrown will become famous soon enoughohmgrown will become famous soon enoughohmgrown will become famous soon enoughohmgrown will become famous soon enoughohmgrown will become famous soon enoughohmgrown will become famous soon enough

Great review! I'm excited, but not terribly surprised, to hear just how well these subs perform. I say I'm not surprised, but, truth be told, I'm blown away at the perfect score in the classical/jazz category. Just another stellar achievement for Sundown Audio. We salute you, Jacob!
ohmgrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

^^yeah that blew my mind as well but, it is what it is. That's the way they performed.

Old 04-15-2013   #39
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 209 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear such a high level review for them; I am very happy with these guys

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at sundownz@sundownaudio.com
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 124 SynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enoughSynRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom_squid_2 View Post
Brick and mortar dealers as well as authorized Internet sellers are listed on the Sundown website.
Old 04-16-2013   #41

DIYMA freshman

Bmiller1: Thanks for the excellent review and information, especially the analysis of performance with various genres of music. Very helpful and relevant.
Old 04-17-2013   #42

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 101 normalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enough

So am I to understand that you believe their sound quality is based at least in part on being underhung?
normalicy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalicy View Post
So am I to understand that you believe their sound quality is based at least in part on being underhung?
I'd say "good implementation of technology" and a hint of experience

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013   #44

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 101 normalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enoughnormalicy will become famous soon enough

I ask mainly because I'm looking at the 10" & 12" versions which aren't underhung, but my main desire is SQ.
normalicy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 therock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalicy View Post
I ask mainly because I'm looking at the 10" & 12" versions which aren't underhung, but my main desire is SQ.
Based on many of these reviews I'm also curious about the performance of the 12" version. Would it be safe to assume the performance would mirror that of these 8's that are being reviewed?

2005 Cadillac Escalade EXT
ILX-007 / IA 6.4 / IA 10.1 / TN 4.900D / ER18RNX / JBL GTO 18T / (2) SWS-15D2
therock482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #46
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 209 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock482 View Post
Based on many of these reviews I'm also curious about the performance of the 12" version. Would it be safe to assume the performance would mirror that of these 8's that are being reviewed?
The 10" and 12" are an over-hung ; they are significantly different.

Down the line I will re-do them as under-hung drivers ; but there are some parts I need to tool first to make it work the way I want.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at sundownz@sundownaudio.com
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 therock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
The 10" and 12" are an over-hung ; they are significantly different.

Down the line I will re-do them as under-hung drivers ; but there are some parts I need to tool first to make it work the way I want.
Thanks for the reply Jacob,

In a nutshell can you say what the primary difference in sound and performance would be between the overhung larger models and these underhung 8's? I understand it changes the coil position in the gap but I have no idea if the two design types have a difference in sound, potential output, or the ability to play low that has been mentioned in the above review.

Thank you,

2005 Cadillac Escalade EXT
ILX-007 / IA 6.4 / IA 10.1 / TN 4.900D / ER18RNX / JBL GTO 18T / (2) SWS-15D2
therock482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

^^Wouldn't mind hearing the answer to that.

Old 04-19-2013   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 140 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock482 View Post
Thanks for the reply Jacob,

In a nutshell can you say what the primary difference in sound and performance would be between the overhung larger models and these underhung 8's? I understand it changes the coil position in the gap but I have no idea if the two design types have a difference in sound, potential output, or the ability to play low that has been mentioned in the above review.

Thank you,
My thoughts are that within its linear travel (Xmax) the differences would be pretty small. Underhung would benefit from being pushed past it's limits (Basically underhung, at least this particular sub, cannot reach its physical excursion limits (xmec)). This translates to... outside of its comfort zone, the underhung sub should sound better.... for instance you won't be able to hear the woofer bottoming out. Of course it would still be prone to overheating.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

IDMAX was overhung as are many others = SPL

Underhung means it is more expensive to build and SQ is the goal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement