Sundown SD-2 8 Review - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 131 therock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enoughtherock482 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Thanks for the underhung explanations above. I decided to buy a SD-2 12 D2 about 15 minutes ago on amazon. My plan is to use a .90 cu ft sealed and polyfilled box and with about 600 watts rms at 4ohms. I think I should have my install done in about a month. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the helpful reviews above.

2005 Cadillac Escalade EXT
ILX-007 / IA 6.4 / IA 10.1 / TN 4.900D / ER18RNX / JBL GTO 18T / (2) SWS-15D2

Last edited by therock482; 04-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling
therock482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 141 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Geez, I havent read a bad review of these subs yet. I saw on youtube a guy running 2 and still cant get over the size of the box. For the first time I am very excited about a sub. I believe 4 of these sealed is in my future? I think the 18w6 will be for sale very soon.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #53
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 Bnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enough

Well I have 4 of these on a FedEx truck destined for the rear deck of my Chrysler 300SRT8 I will let you know how they sound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bnixon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 4 of these would be no joke. Hope you got the Power for them and the front stage to keep up.

bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mc01ta will become famous soon enoughmc01ta will become famous soon enoughmc01ta will become famous soon enoughmc01ta will become famous soon enoughmc01ta will become famous soon enoughmc01ta will become famous soon enough

How loud do these get running sealed? I've never heard 8s and I'm still using late 90s old school orion xtr 12s. Will be buying a f150 suoercrew and looking for something with shallow depth. Really worried the SD series whether 8s or 10s won't be loud enough. Is new aged subs and small subs like 8s able to get loud or ollouder then old school subs like I'm using? My12s sealed are are running on an hcca 225
mc01ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #56
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 Bnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enoughBnixon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller1 View Post
Wow, 4 of these would be no joke. Hope you got the Power for them and the front stage to keep up.
Should be ok

Have 1200w for the subs and dynaudio 362 active for front stage 150w each to the tweets and mids with 450w each on the 8" mid bass drivers. Should sound really nice with lots of extra sub available when needed? I will be running a jl audio master volume knob on the sub channel after the DSP so I can tweak the sub volume with genre of music.

Bnixon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc01ta View Post
How loud do these get running sealed? I've never heard 8s and I'm still using late 90s old school orion xtr 12s. Will be buying a f150 suoercrew and looking for something with shallow depth. Really worried the SD series whether 8s or 10s won't be loud enough. Is new aged subs and small subs like 8s able to get loud or ollouder then old school subs like I'm using? My12s sealed are are running on an hcca 225
I guess it just depends on the set up. I mean, I run two 12s as well and the 8s get just as "loud" in relation to the front stage. The 8s do not have the SPL output that the 12s do but , for SQ purposes, they have all you want and more. In a truck, I can't imagine that "loudness" of the SD-2s would ever be an issue. I put 2 E8v2s in a buddy of mine's F150 and they rock. I think the SD-2 8s are more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnixon View Post
Should be ok

Have 1200w for the subs and dynaudio 362 active for front stage 150w each to the tweets and mids with 450w each on the 8" mid bass drivers. Should sound really nice with lots of extra sub available when needed? I will be running a jl audio master volume knob on the sub channel after the DSP so I can tweak the sub volume with genre of music.

Yeah, I'd say that should keep up.

Old 06-21-2013   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 mrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enough

Been looking at the reviews for these bad boys and almost certain I'm gonna grab a pair. Only prob is that I cant seem to find the dual 2 ohm versions for sale anywhere even though that is the only one mentioned on the sundown site. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If not, have you, bmiller1, or anyone been able to compare a couple of these sealed vs an SA-8 v2 ported? That would be my other option as I really want a sundown 8, lol. I know the e8 is there too but really looking at the increased Power handling of the SA or the great sq compliments going to the sd's.
mrstix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I would contact Jacob (sundownz) through PM or email. I'm sure that they can rustle up a couple of D2s. I have not heard the SA-8s but I have heard the SA-10s and, while they are certainly more than just an SPL sub, they are designed for that. I guess it all depends what you are looking for. I did compare these to 2 E8v2s sealed, which sounded great...until I heard the SD-2s. If you are wanting SPL, the SA series is the way to go. If you are wanting SQ, SD-2 are, in my opinion, the best 8s on the market currently. Don't take the "SQ" moniker as meaning lack of output. They definitely have impressive output. Just, not as much as the SAs but I seriously doubt the SAs are going to be as accurate and transparent in most music like the SD-2s.

Old 06-21-2013   #60

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 mrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enoughmrstix will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking about contacting Jacob as well as it looks like he is active here on the forums and hopefully wouldn't mind an email from a future customer. Sq and blending is definitely what I'm after and from everything I've read in the reviews, these sd's are great for that.

I have limited space in the back of a Honda Fit and the enclosure size is limited. I have about 600 rms at 2 ohms to play with and I think they 2 of these would be awesome. Some reviewers have said they are happy with just one so I might consider that if i can't find the d2's.

Anyway thanks again for the response and the review.
Old 06-21-2013   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

No problem. Believe me, Jacob doesn't mind communicating I contacted him before all this review stuff for a discontinued model and he was happy to help.

"Blending...limited space." SD-2 for sure. Never heard just 1 so my suggestion is two.

Old 01-27-2014   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Brubakr will become famous soon enoughBrubakr will become famous soon enoughBrubakr will become famous soon enoughBrubakr will become famous soon enoughBrubakr will become famous soon enoughBrubakr will become famous soon enough

I know this is an older thread, but I just installed two SD-2 8s in the passenger floor area of my Miata and am running them with an old school HiFonics Series viii Odin (75 x 2) briged mono into 2-ohms. These things are awesome. I have never been a fan of 8" subs, buth these have changed my outlook entirely. They are snappy and reach as low as any 12" sub that I have owned. If you are limited in space and want a quality SQ sub, then I suggest you give these a good look. I'm glad that my friend suggested them to me. I need to add that these are installed in a net .5 cu/ft box.
Brubakr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

Love the review man these sound like fun!
optimaprime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014   #64

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

Bmiller, Hi

My name is Eddie (well thank you captain obvious )

I have a very similar comparrison to that of yours with single sub setup but I believe my range of subs to compare would be by far more surprising.

The subwoofers I compared the SA series (10 inch) to were:

SEAS Lotus SW300i - Yes, one of the most valuated SQ sub woofers ever made I believe.

No less then AuraSound NRT subs 5 series 10 inch (N10-513) - which is by far the best ever blending subwoofer I've ever heard up to this day!

I wanted to go down the diameter from 12 and 10 towards the 8 inch as I really not much of a fan of any frequency belowish of the 40Hz, don't like the way it makes a Car cabin vibrate, don't like that fact that other than "big drum" recreation or electronic music there's really nothing much bellow 40hz so why play it from the first place if it does not make me smile?

But... there was no available stock of SA-8 so I just went for the SA-10

I've tried it in a sealed enclosure of 0.75cf and in a ported enclosure of nearly 1cf

In the sealed enclosure it revealed some of the weaknesses, back wave issues etc - so I went straight to the vented box and that sub was simply a suprise!

I can tell you that both the SEAS (180watts declared) and the Aura(same Power specs) were OUTSTANDING subwoofers in the tearms of tonality and woofers extension (blending as you call it) but they were both lacking a "punch"

The SEAS would go LOWWWWWW and the Aura was just TRANSPARENT, it was simply and invisible subwoofer - amazing!

But they had very little punch in them and I was missing that so that was why I decided that I want to try a more SPL dedicated subwoofer.

And it was but I never expected it to be so good for SQ pruposes either - and just like you were so surprised, so was I!!!

The SA 10 was blending just as you mentioned - phenomenal 95% of the times, I would even dare to go as far as 98% of the time

And at the same time it was simply BRUTAL with the punch, in fact, for me it was too dammn strong and that is why I finally moved on to a DD audio 8 inch in my sign below but today it feels a bit too delicate and I am again looking forward to the SA-8 at least if not a JL 8W7

To sum it up - trulley powerful sub woofers that do not fall much behind, in fact, hardly fall from much more SQ valuted subwoofers

They are (Sundown Audio) in my view the experts of the Bang for the Buck equipment and if you don't have the funds or do not wish to spend much - SundownAudio would be my first in line, especially subwoofers.

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show

Last edited by eddieg; 03-17-2014 at 03:00 AM..
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014   #65

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 44 crea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enough

I am strongly considering getting 2 SD-8 v2 to go in the back of my Honda Accord. My front stage will be comprised of HAT Clarus 6.5" (not sure if I will run then active or passive) off of a Mosconi 120.4 with a DSP. Will these subs blend in well with my front stage and not be overpowering and still retain the SQ I am looking for.

Not sure if I will go with a Mosconi 240.2 for them or a Sundown SAZ-1200d. Good thing is, I live within an hour or so from the HQ of Sundown to hear the subs and hopefully get some advice from Jacob on which direction to go for my system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crea_78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014   #66
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

they will blend great. I had one in the front passenger foot area of my 99 civic on 400 watts. You will not need any more than 400-500 on each sub. Tons of impact, a great choice for sure

I love to overthink things.
2008 Civic Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...an-exodus.html
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014   #67

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

They should blend just perfect as for overpower - two subs maybe, one 8 inch only you should be able to control it without compromising system dynamics or desired force.

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 44 crea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enoughcrea_78 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. If I go with one sub, not sure where to place it but have always liked the looks of two together. If I go with the Mosconi amp, each 8 will be seeing 350 watts which shouldn't be too bad... I don't think. If I don't go with the SD-2 8, may look at getting one 12" instead. Decisions...

Old 03-27-2014   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crea_78 View Post
Thanks for the replies. If I go with one sub, not sure where to place it but have always liked the looks of two together. If I go with the Mosconi amp, each 8 will be seeing 350 watts which shouldn't be too bad... I don't think. If I don't go with the SD-2 8, may look at getting one 12" instead. Decisions...

In my opinion, the 2 8's, no contest. That amount of Power on them, you'll be backing them off. Their output will surprise you. I run 2 12's on 1500w and, when I had the two 8s in, I didn't tell any passengers and they all thought it was still my 12s.

Old 03-27-2014   #70

DIYMA freshman

Depending on the quality of sound coming from subwoofers such as the SD-2 8, should I go with a sq amp like the Mosconi or will the Sundown SAZ-1200d suffice but I will turn the gains down.

Also, what dimensions should a sealed box be for two of these -- I am going with the recommended 0.25ft^3 per subwoofer.

Last edited by crea_78; 03-27-2014 at 03:58 PM..
Old 08-17-2014   #71

DIYMA freshman

First, sorry to bring up an almost six month old thread. However, I had some more questions as I finally bought two sd-2 8's from ssaudio, built two seperate boxes, about .35 cubes each, and put them in the back of my hatch.

I am surprised at the lack of deep bass response. I am not sure if these guys want more power, are breaking in, or need a better box design? I will admit that they do seem to blend really well with my speakers. Great, actually. But I just thought they would dig a little deeper. I have been listening to top 40 and hip hop and songs like Black Widow by Iggy Azalea, with the low toned bass note after the intro, or the low bass that hits about 1:18 on Over by Drake, they just don't seem to play that stuff at reasonable levels.

I purchased these due to the incredible reviews on this site, not just bmiller's, and maybe i hyped myself up too much? But rereading some of them, I really think I am doing something wrong on my part.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Also any more info I need to give, lmk.

Thanks as always,
Old 08-18-2014   #72

DIYMA freshman

The only other thing I can think is the length of the box is about 10", putting the magnet of the woofer about 1/2 way into the box. I read on the 12 volt that in a sealed enclosure this isn't recommended because of standing waves or something, but shouldn't affect the performance really because the size of the size of small sealed enclosures. I'm just throwing things out there at this point as I can't for the life of me figure this out.

I also just set my amp today to 34.64 volts using a DIMM to try and make sure the amp was set correctly for 600 watts at 2 ohms. The gain control ended up a bit higher than it was previously but not much.
Old 08-20-2014   #73
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

mine sounded better with some break in for sure. Its not going to be a low end monster. Mine was lacking very low end in a .25 cu ft box with 400rms. Its still an awesome sub for the money and having it up front was awesome

I love to overthink things.
2008 Civic Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...an-exodus.html
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014   #74

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
mine sounded better with some break in for sure. Its not going to be a low end monster. Mine was lacking very low end in a .25 cu ft box with 400rms. Its still an awesome sub for the money and having it up front was awesome
Thanks for responding. That's what I thought. They do seem to be getting better after some play time, but definitely not the low end that I wanted. Put some polyfil in each .35 box and gave them some more Power and they responded well. I will probably be looking to switch them out for 1 12 or something, though.
Old 09-16-2014   #75
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 207 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to keep reading the largely positive reviews -- makes me feel like we are moving in the right direction converting the 10 and 12" models to under-hung for the SD-3 revision

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at sundownz@sundownaudio.com
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement