Sundown SD-2 8 Review - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Sundown SD-2 8 Review

I received my SD-2 8s today for review. I want to thank Jacob for his generosity. I've never reviewed anything before and consider it an honor that he would allow me to do so.

The subs were well packed and are gorgeous. I won't burden this thread with a bunch of pics because a lot are already available but here's a couple.

My first impression is analogous with the others who have received their subs. These things are stout and extremely well put together, which is nothing new for Sundown. However, the construction of the SD-2s appears to be above and beyond the Sundown products I've owned before. These are around 15 lbs. apiece. The basket is dense as well as the magnet. I notice that they vent out the sides rather than the rear, giving you more mounting/depth options. But this magnet is not just slapped on to be impressive (which it is) If you have held an SA series or E series, you'll recognize a conscious effort in the SD to apply design efforts away from general SPL. Though, knowing Sundown, SPL will always be there.

Though these are very reasonably priced, they have all the amenities of high quality subs: push terminals, DVC, and rubber lip covers with stamped logos. What intrigues me most is the cone and surround. Reminds me of the SA series which is built for punishment. I love when I see stitching on the surround. I believe that cone is similar (or identical) to the thick paper cone on the SA series. Which brings up my only concern.

Currently I am running 2 DIYMA R12s ported on a Arc 1500xxk so, that is my comparison. Though it might seem strange, I've dealt with Sundown enough to know better than to doubt the output. Sure, these are 8s but Sundown subs typically perform to the next size up as for as output is concerned. Also, I expect their response to be top notch. My concern is the blending aspect. The R12s are as good at blending as any sub in existence IMO. One of the main reasons is the thin aluminum cone. The thick paper cone of the SD-2 (at first glance) seems to be the antithesis of that. I may be showing my inexperience here but I believe that the cone will be the crux of the blending ability of this sub.

That being said, I am super stoked about hearing these. I actually have tomorrow off and I was going to cover the box I built but now, I'm chomping at the bit to hear these. So, I may just toss them in the raw wood box and let them rip tomorrow. If that is what is in the pics, don't give me any shit. My plan is to put them on the 1500xxk. They're in a box with .4 cu ft. each. According to Jacob, these will be fine with 450wrms each in that enclosure. I want to give these 1-2 weeks before finalizing the review. I will spend a day or two playing a certain type of music that I'm familiar with then switch to a different type of music. I will probably do updates after going through a specific genre. Finally, my last test will be my friends that are familiar with my system. I'm not telling anybody that I'm swapping subs. I will ask them questions crafted to figure out if they can tell a difference and see if they notice. Sorry if this was too wordy. Wouldn't be the first time I heard it. Hope it's at least interesting because there will be more to say.

Last edited by bmiller1; 04-02-2013 at 09:04 PM..
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Quote:
That being said, I am super stoked about hearing these. I actually have tomorrow off and I was going to cover the box I built but now, I'm chomping at the bit to hear these. So, I may just toss them in the raw wood box and let them rip tomorrow.
Do eet !
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Do eet !
Well, you can't really argue with that. It's on.

Old 04-04-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well, my little girl was under the weather last night so neither got the subs in nor covered the box, which meant covered today was not going to happen. These were going in. It's cool though, I had help.

Auditioning starts in the morning on the way to work.

Old 04-04-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Best sub box finish EVER!!

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
HelixDSP / Director
PG Elite.5
AF GB15/Sinfoni Maestoso
IDQ8 (x3)
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Yeah, just may let her finish it out and rock it like that.

Old 04-04-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

cool
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 JCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Best sub box finish EVER!!
This.

How sweet of you to include her, and for her to provide her own unique touch to your project. Hope she recovers quickly.

Looking forward to your review!
JCJetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

She is fine. Just a little bug. Thank you though!! As a single dad, they're always involved. There's not such thing as "quality time," just time.

Old 04-05-2013   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Sneetch

Rep Power: 176 Boostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller1 View Post
Parenting done right. Good stuff man! Looking forward to your listening impressions. Love the pair of R12's running IB in the car currently. I'm still holding on to a couple of my old R12's that will be used in my home listening room.

Team Stereo Integrity member
Boostedrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedrex View Post
Parenting done right. Good stuff man! Looking forward to your listening impressions. Love the pair of R12's running IB in the car currently. I'm still holding on to a couple of my old R12's that will be used in my home listening room.
2 R12s in one room? Is it a gymnasium? Yeah, I've got to do some adjusting. The MS8 really goes overboard with my subs and the other way to fix it is to lower the gains. Which means the SD-2s aren't getting enough power right now so, gonna pull the DMM out tonight and set them. May need to do a new tune too.

Old 04-05-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Nice intro write-up!

My daughter would have done the same thing

2015 Hyundai Sonata
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Cool Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Quote:
She is fine. Just a little bug. Thank you though!! As a single dad, they're always involved. There's not such thing as "quality time," just time.

Way to Go !
Old 04-05-2013   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 118 boom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This then apply some clear, memories yo
boom_squid_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom_squid_2 View Post
This then apply some clear, memories yo
Not a bad idea actually.

Old 04-08-2013   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Sneetch

Rep Power: 176 Boostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really nice

Quote:
2 R12s in one room? Is it a gymnasium? Yeah, I've got to do some adjusting. The MS8 really goes overboard with my subs and the other way to fix it is to lower the gains. Which means the SD-2s aren't getting enough power right now so, gonna pull the DMM out tonight and set them. May need to do a new tune too.
Nah, it's an 18 x 20' room. The less the cone moves to reach desired output the more linear it will be. That and I'm a fan of overkill. LOL!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the SD-2 8's after you get the amp dialed in and get a new tune on the car. I'm very hopeful for these little guys and am thinking hard on using them in an upcoming install I'm doing for a friend in his 350Z.

Old 04-08-2013   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

DISCLAIMER: I have been running (2) DIYMA R12s, ported on no less than 1K watts for almost 2 years. I consider these to be the best SQ sub ever. So, please understand that this is the basis for my comparison. If I mention lesser output, it may be due to going from 12s ported to 8s sealed. If I say the SD-2s had an issue blending, that's probably because that is what the R12s do best. My goal is to give Jacob an accurate and honest review and not just kiss his ass. I think that's what he wants. All that being said, I've always loved Sundown and the SD-2s have not disappointed.

Well, I finally got my levels right. I don't have a ton of power going to my front stage and, if these 8s are at a higher level, they will drown everything out. I've listened to them for about 2 days now with everything set properly and I am very impressed. They are extremely accurate and are stout. I should say that I have them in about .4 cu ft each net with 450 wrms on each and crossed at 70hz/24db. I have only been listening to rock/metal so far on them.

These things are made for reproducing the bottom/punch of a kick drum. Very responsive even on the fast stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch Engage. If you have some real fast double bass work, they can get a bit muddy but overall, pretty precise. The cone material that seems to cause a slight blending issue with non-percussion sub work is exactly what gives it that "punch" on the kick drum and reproduces it almost flawlessly.

As stated above, the non-percussion bass music has, ON OCCASION, seemed slightly disconnected when the frequencies transition from the mids to the subs. I stress ON OCCASION. 95% of the time, they are phenomenal. They actually blend a lot better than I expected. Once I played quite a few different drum intensive tracks, I switched to some heavy bass guitar from bands that play really, really low. IMO, the 2 best CDs to test that element is Korn's first album and Deftones' Diamond Eyes. The SD-2s just straight smoked those two CDs. Perfectly! If you sat in my car during those CDs, you would assume there were no less than 2 10s in the back, maybe even 12s. So, the really low, drop-tuning stuff, these subs really shine. The other, more conventional rock bass, certainly better than average but not perfect.

Also, I had these in the trunk. My car is fairly big (04 Impala SS) and I have my giant sub box and beauty panel still installed. (No subs are worth trying to remove 2 R12s enclosed in a full sheet of MDF) So, to be fair, yesterday, I moved the box into my back seat to try and get a feel for how these would sound in a smaller vehicle or a truck. In my opinion, unless you are just after straight SPL, you would not need any more than 2 of these in a truck or small car. So Zach, 350Z would be perfect. There is substantial output from the trunk but, there is definitely a difference when moving them to the cabin.

I'm switching to rap/hip hop mode now and going to see how much output they'll create. This is the section I'm most pessimistic about for 3 reasons:

1. These are made for SQ.
2. If you are trying to go for SPL, 2 8s is not what you would pick.
3. I think you're going to have to have some convenient method of attenuating the subs. If the levels are set for rock, they probably won't be slamming for rap. If they are set for rap, they probably will overpower the front stage in rock. I'm going to see how much manipulation capability I have via the MS-8.

I know it can hit all the freqs because Korn and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster have some really, really low and wide-ranged bass information. The question with rap/hip hop is the SPL output. I shall return.

Old 04-08-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Sundown SD-2 8 Review

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to give Jacob an accurate and honest review and not just kiss his ass.

I think that's what he wants.

The cone material that seems to cause a slight blending issue with non-percussion sub work is exactly what gives it that "punch" on the kick drum and reproduces it almost flawlessly.

95% of the time, they are phenomenal.

1. These are made for SQ.

I shall return.
bmiller1,

Excellent review
Old 04-08-2013   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Sneetch

Good stuff! Thank you for the initial impressions. Curious to see how they do on the Rap/R&B as well. Throw in some dubstep to test high output with low frequency reproduction too.

Last but not least, could you demo some classical and/or jazz? Truly instrumental stuff with stand up bass, huge drums, and perfect recording engineers at the helm. That is always difficult to recreate properly. The R12's do it flawlessly, but I'm in the same boat with you in saying they are some of the best SQ subs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

Old 04-08-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I had a couple hours of driving time and I will say, I made a mistake in questioning Sundown putting out something that can handle rap. I'm not ready to review this part yet but, I'll say, it handles it fine by bumping up the sub a little on the MS8. If I jacked up the gain a little, they would slam. I mean, it's not going to have my rear view mirror facing the floorboards like the 12s but, they can dig deep and they play the entire range.

Yes, the third part will be classical, acoustic and live stuff. Then I'm going to raise the xo point to probably 100hz or so just to see what they handle. I don't like subs that high because of the localization issue but, I need to give them a shot at playing up that high. After hearing just a couple of rap CDs, I truly believe 2 of these would give that 350Z all it could handle.

Old 04-08-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Quote:
Then I'm going to raise the xo point to probably 100hz or so just to see what they handle.
I truly believe 2 of these would give that 350Z all it could handle.
Full body massage = Reggae time

Last edited by Oliver; 04-08-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Old 04-08-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Full body massage = Reggae time

Man, if you haven't heard Nas and Damien Marley....you must.

Last edited by bmiller1; 04-08-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-08-2013   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 118 boom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Man, if you haven't heard Nas and Damien Marley....you must.

Carribean represent
boom_squid_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 210 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent; thanks for the review Will keep watching for any more thoughts.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at sundownz@sundownaudio.com
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Sneetch

Good stuff. Thanks as always bmiller!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement