LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough

Cool Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier

Been a while since I've bought a new amp, I think 1990 I've since purchased inop amps and repaired them, lots of old Soundstreams. I really don't like pushing a sub with such an old amp, and they do get quite warm after a while so I decided to do some research on these newer class D mono amps. Not much info out there on the Soundqubed brand other than I think the family has been doing the Digital Designs brand. The only Customer Reviews I could find on this 1200D is on their website. They do look similar to other brands out there. I've never tried a Class D amp so this is new ground for me, never listened to one except for the occasional Car driving by probably has one.
I could only order it from them directly and for $269.00 plus free shipping, I'll chance it. I can't tell but in the reading about setting one of these up, I think it has a clip light built in to the remote gain control so if it does, I'll post pics.

So, compared to an oldschool Reference 500 or 1000s, I'll post results.
We shall see

Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Soundstream Reference 700s powering a sealed TS-W2501D4 ,Infinity reference 6.5s with MOREL tweeters powered by a Soundstream Reference 500s, 04 Civic
90scaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough90scaraudio will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier

Here we go….
Yes, the remote gain knob has a clip indicator! Great.
I had to figure a way to mount the remote so with some thinking, sheet metal cutters, drill, tap, and screws, this is what I came up with. I also took a black permanent marker and darkened the green Power light as it is very bright and would be annoying while driving at night.

I ran 4 gauge Wire to a 200 amp circuit breaker (stinger) then to the battery. I also redid the grounds, also with 4 gauge, just to make sure of good connections to the body. Then ran 12 gauge to the sub. So far I’ve left the kicker at 4 ohms to see if it’s powerful enough.

Pics show the amps hidden well under the seats

Every thing works so far just sitting in the garage and it is very powerful. I will have to do some tweaking with the T/A and crossover points on the way to work to get it dialed in but so far it seems to work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (129.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (103.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (127.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (77.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (125.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (77.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (99.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (85.5 KB, 71 views)

Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Soundstream Reference 700s powering a sealed TS-W2501D4 ,Infinity reference 6.5s with MOREL tweeters powered by a Soundstream Reference 500s, 04 Civic

Last edited by 90scaraudio; 07-05-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 07-05-2013   #3

DIYMA freshman

After some listening I guess 500 watts is not enough, I could run it to clip and it wasn't pushing the sub very hard so I will have to parallel the sub for 1 ohm and see if 1000 watts will do. We Will see

Yes, this amp is better running at 1 ohm. Now the sub has come to life

Now on to the settings.... After some time in the car, I'll post results of my opinion. I'm comparing this to a Soundstream 1000s and an old Rubicon 1002. But I guess for the money and it was put together in Korea, I won't expect much. We shall see....

Old 07-05-2013   #4

DIYMA freshman

OK, got to admit.... this thing does pound out the bass and stays cool. So for $269 its a decent deal. I'd rather blow up this than an old skool amp. Now to see if it lasts for a few years... Oh, nice that it fits under the seat of a civic.

Old 07-06-2013   #5

DIYMA freshman

I wanted to keep the cars electrical stock as this is just my daily driver so I was looking for an efficient amp. I built the sub cabinet from 3/4 MDF. I laid out on paper all the cuts I needed from Kickers website and brought it to Lowes and had them make the cuts, they did this for free! MDF makes a lot of dust. Last night the wife and I went cruzing and I played some Three 6 Mafia to test things out. Very little headlight dimming and for a single 12, wow. So for a couple of 50+ year olds, kids were looking at us like WTF as we drove by. Yes this amp works well as a daily driver and has very good Power output. Even the wife likes it...

Last edited by 90scaraudio; 07-06-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Old 07-06-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 87 SkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier

i love my 2200d. after using that little clip indicator for so long i dont think i could live without it

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
Build In Progress . <<-- click
1990 Nissan 300zx

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 82 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Nice to see someone do a review on one of these AQ amplifiers. I am looking at the 2200 that SkizeR is talking about. Does he care to do a review of his for us too? I have only heard one from the line and it was in a more spl type setup so I am curious if it holds up to the usual sq amp players like Zapco, Genesis, Mosconi, Audison and the like. It was nice to hear that it compares favorably to the old Soundstream Ref line (or at least I think you were stating this).

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 87 SkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2266 View Post
Nice to see someone do a review on one of these AQ amplifiers. I am looking at the 2200 that SkizeR is talking about. Does he care to do a review of his for us too? I have only heard one from the line and it was in a more spl type setup so I am curious if it holds up to the usual sq amp players like Zapco, Genesis, Mosconi, Audison and the like. It was nice to hear that it compares favorably to the old Soundstream Ref line (or at least I think you were stating this).
Its a sub amp so its hard to really hear a difference.. but it does do more than rated cleanly and the fact that it has a gain knob (not bass boost) with a clipping indicator makes life so much easier

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
1990 Nissan 300zx

Old 07-06-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 82 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Its a sub amp so its hard to really hear a difference.. but it does do more than rated cleanly and the fact that it has a gain knob (not bass boost) with a clipping indicator makes life so much easier
I really like that clipping light idea and from what I have read from others it is as accurate as an o-scope (which I don't have). I didn't know about the remote gain feature tho and makes me want to try it even more now. I am putting in my current amps today and truthfully if it doesn't work to my liking this time, I will save my pennies and grab one of those things. I love the fact that I could even run two Ultimo's off of that if I so desire down the road as well.

Old 07-06-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
BTW, what resistance are you loading it to? 1,2 or 4 ohm? Do you have any light dimming issues assuming you have a stock electrical system. I would be running 2 ohm and if I get a 2nd Ultimo it would be run at 1 ohm.

Old 07-06-2013   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Should have mentioned....
The Soundstreams can run a sub @ 1ohm bridged but they do get pretty warm and class A amps are only about 50% efficient. I am using an old Reference 500 for the mids-highs and I do not get any interference like some people talk about. I love to use the old SQ amps for the mids and highs and I've not tried a class D amp for this. If I listen to older music, bass is pretty darn accurate. Comparing to a set of Cerwin vegas D8E and an old Kenwood Basic M2 amp in the living room. So yes, I'm very glad I purchased it.

Old 07-06-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Quote:
BTW, what resistance are you loading it to? 1,2 or 4 ohm? Do you have any light dimming issues assuming you have a stock electrical system. I would be running 2 ohm and if I get a 2nd Ultimo it would be run at 1 ohm.
when i had it in my daily i had the 2200d and 2 zapco amps for the front. just 2 decent sized batteries and had no dimming what so ever. it was ran at 1 ohm

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
1990 Nissan 300zx

Old 08-23-2013   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 25 Earzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enough

No downside to the amps yet? I'm considering the Q1-1200D. Only thing is, the price seems too good to be true. I really like the idea of a gain remote instead of the stupid 50hz boost my current amp has. Only way I can really adjust the sub while driving atm is by going into about 15 submenus on the h/u.

In a world gone to hell Where nobody's safe
Do not go quietly Unto your grave
Mark Sandman 1952-1999
Earzbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earzbleed View Post
No downside to the amps yet? I'm considering the Q1-1200D. Only thing is, the price seems too good to be true. I really like the idea of a gain remote instead of the stupid 50hz boost my current amp has. Only way I can really adjust the sub while driving atm is by going into about 15 submenus on the h/u.
Get it. Had my 2200 for 3 years now and not a single issue

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
1990 Nissan 300zx

Old 08-23-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Rep Power: 776 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Have no fear with these amps, I had one of the four channels and a 3500D and both were rock solid and clean.

Always wrong......
GLN305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 25 Earzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enough

Great, thanks for the reassurance. Looks like there still are genuine bargains around.

Mark Sandman 1952-1999
Old 09-03-2013   #17

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90scaraudio View Post
Here we go….
Yes, the remote gain knob has a clip indicator! Great.
I had to figure a way to mount the remote so with some thinking, sheet metal cutters, drill, tap, and screws, this is what I came up with. I also took a black permanent marker and darkened the green Power light as it is very bright and would be annoying while driving at night.

I ran 4 gauge Wire to a 200 amp circuit breaker (stinger) then to the battery. I also redid the grounds, also with 4 gauge, just to make sure of good connections to the body. Then ran 12 gauge to the sub. So far I’ve left the kicker at 4 ohms to see if it’s powerful enough.

Pics show the amps hidden well under the seats

Every thing works so far just sitting in the garage and it is very powerful. I will have to do some tweaking with the T/A and crossover points on the way to work to get it dialed in but so far it seems to work well.
OK, I noticed a strong magnetic field on the side were the RCAs plug in and also the seat rail, even with the stereo off. I noticed this when I was adjusting the gain. When I pulled it out from under the seat, it momentarily turned on and then back off, all in about 10 seconds.
I now have the RCA side facing the back, sticking out from under the seat and the magnetic field is gone. WTF!!!

OK, next issue... If I use both RCAs from the pioneer, make sure the time alignment is the same for both channels. Also, I don't like that the deck goes from 12dB to 34dB / Oct and the amp has a 24dB / Oct built in and always on with a sweep from about 20Hz to 200Hz. I really had to play with the time alignment and crossover settings to get it to sound good. I'm assuming that both crossovers were adding phase changes.

Old 09-04-2013   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 NA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enough

Good to know. I was looking at the 2200D for my truck. It's got me wondering how there subs are. They say run one 2200 with two of there 10's to get pretty loud and run two 2200D's for ungodly loud at Competitions. I need to do some more searching on how there subs sound for anything other then SPL.

Kyle
NA$TY-TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #19

DIYMA freshman

Default Re: Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier UH OH

I'll try to be to the point....
So after listening to this amp since July I could always notice that the bass seemed to fade and it did not seem to have the punch that an old SS reference 500s had so I compared the two with a pioneer 10 TS-W2502D4. I paralleled the coils for 2 ohms and just rested it on the backseat without a cabinet.
The Soundstream was frightening as it pushed this sub to almost its excursion limits without clipping!
The Q1-1200D would barely push the sub and would light the clip indicator!
So I popped the back cover off and started inspecting.
I found the negative Speaker feed buss bar very loose, I could move it about 1/4 inch back and forth. The solder job was very poor, they shouldn't have soldered it at all.
Second thing I found was the fuse holder legs, just the back row, that are connected to the board, barley had any solder on them. So up to 120 amps going through a very small conduction area, hmm.
Third thing was the Speaker output connector legs that are connected to the board had very little solder on them and I could see through the holes were solder should be. Again, very small conduction area, hmm.
I re-soldered all of these issues and it has a lot more punch. Seems to keep up with the soundstream now.
So the load was trying to suck current through these weak areas...
Wonder how many have this problem. If you own one, you may want to check these areas for this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4404.jpg (63.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4408.jpg (89.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by 90scaraudio; 09-26-2013 at 03:15 AM..
Old 09-25-2013   #20

DIYMA freshman

Hmm, glad I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Found another major issue I need to deal with first.

Mark Sandman 1952-1999
Old 09-26-2013   #21

DIYMA freshman

Thumbs down Re: Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier

During my drive to work and listening to music at a moderate level, keep in mind that my Dayton 12 is a single voice coil and rated at I think about 250 watts. OK, my Soundstream 500s pounded this sub and never clipped, however this Q1-1200 clipped easily and still not half as loud. Very disappointed. After the items I found, it makes me wonder how much other crappy solder joints there are. Anyway, since I did re-solder, I think that voided the warranty. So, this thing was a learning project.... Be warned

Oh and there tech support said "I've never seen this problem and I have looked inside hundreds if not thousands of our amps. This seems to be an unfortunate case of electronics having a defect. Since you did do your own repair work this does void our warranty. If the amp is in good condition meaning no gashes, scratches, broken bits I will get you a refund minus the cost of re-stocking which is 20% of the shipped price. If you'd like to keep the amp I will have a tech look at it, if it's deemed unrepairable do to a man defect I will swap it out, however it is repairable there will be a service charge as the warranty is void."

Yea right.... I have a feeling that if I sent it back to them that they would charge me to fix it, but at least they offered....

Last edited by 90scaraudio; 09-26-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 10-01-2013   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 NA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enough

Hmm. That sucks. I see quite a few people running there 2200 what amp.

I picked up a pair of there 10's last week for my truck during there Q/Fire sale for old stock. Got the dang things for $32 apiece shipped. I took them out if the box and they seem to be built well. I'll post back when I replace my 10 yr old RF 10's there replacing.

Kyle.
Old 11-28-2013   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 20 peenemunde will become famous soon enoughpeenemunde will become famous soon enoughpeenemunde will become famous soon enoughpeenemunde will become famous soon enoughpeenemunde will become famous soon enoughpeenemunde will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90scaraudio View Post
During my drive to work and listening to music at a moderate level, keep in mind that my Dayton 12 is a single voice coil and rated at I think about 250 watts. OK, my Soundstream 500s pounded this sub and never clipped, however this Q1-1200 clipped easily and still not half as loud. Very disappointed. After the items I found, it makes me wonder how much other crappy solder joints there are. Anyway, since I did re-solder, I think that voided the warranty. So, this thing was a learning project.... Be warned

Oh and there tech support said "I've never seen this problem and I have looked inside hundreds if not thousands of our amps. This seems to be an unfortunate case of electronics having a defect. Since you did do your own repair work this does void our warranty. If the amp is in good condition meaning no gashes, scratches, broken bits I will get you a refund minus the cost of re-stocking which is 20% of the shipped price. If you'd like to keep the amp I will have a tech look at it, if it's deemed unrepairable do to a man defect I will swap it out, however it is repairable there will be a service charge as the warranty is void."

Yea right.... I have a feeling that if I sent it back to them that they would charge me to fix it, but at least they offered....

I've had nothing but good interactions with the guys at SoundQubed. They are very willing to assist with any questions or concerns I have with their products. As for the 1200D sounding less then adequate, I suggest running 0awg high quality wire. The 4awg you currently have may be throttling the SQ output, that's my guess anyway.
peenemunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #24

DIYMA freshman

Default Re: Soundqubed Q1-1200D Amplifier update

I decided to take this amp apart to see anything wrong. I will post pics.
I re-flowed all the heavy solder joints and inspected all the mosfets and dual diodes for broken legs, everything was fine.
I was quite impressed that they used decent mosfets in the power-supply!

On my bench... It seemed to work great then I plugged the remote gain control in... That's when I started getting lots of rumble and noise until I bumped and moved the plug at the amp end. So the main problem is the remote.
I've had it in my Car for a week now, without the remote, and it's doing a fantastic job. If I plug the remote in, things go south.
So reflowing some solder joints and disconnecting the remote, there seems to be zero issues with this amp.

So now I have to chase down the problem with the remote.

Old 01-23-2014   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

That's good to know. I went ahead and bought the 2200D on Black Friday for a steal. I wanting to try running it at 1/2 ohm to one of there HDC4-12's. Should get pretty damn loud.