Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please. - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywhopper View Post
Unfortunately, everything that has been said in this thread has been the frustrations we have been experiencing all year as an Excelon dealer.
This would have been great to know before dropping the kind of money it took to get the DNN990 and back up camera at my door step. Mine isnt even installed yet and Im wanting nothing to do with it after reading all of this.

What is Kenwood saying or doing about it? They have to react to these types of concerns..
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 billg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudioworld View Post
Well I read the specs and features for this unit, is impressive. A shame that is that slow... come on put those high end quaq-core processors and tons of memory in the HUs, if small cellphones can have it, why not HUs
On paper it is impressive. I read a lot of reviews before deciding on the DNX 890HD, it lasted only a week. The Bluetooth sound was not good and the unit refused to show caller name(just the number) in the unit most of the time. Couple trips back to the dealer and we figured out it wouldn't show the caller name if the number in the phone had () around the area code. Since there was no way(as far as we could figure out) to edit the phone #'s I swapped it for the 990. The Kenwood tech rep, when questioned about the problem, replied "What do you expect? It doesn't have Parrot bluetooth".

So far the 990 has been a big pile of frustration but at least I get caller ID and good bluetooth sound.

Quote:
Unfortunately, everything that has been said in this thread has been the frustrations we have been experiencing all year as an Excelon dealer.
I feel your pain, after a couple trips back to the dealer I gave up hammering on them, they didn't make the unit and can't fix it. They're great people, no sense busting up a good working relationship over something that's not their fault. I expect some customers aren't as understanding.

My dealer says they don't even mention the Kenwoods when someone comes in for a NAV unit unless they specifically ask(like I did )

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppinkdiver View Post
This would have been great to know before dropping the kind of money it took to get the DNN990 and back up camera at my door step. Mine isnt even installed yet and Im wanting nothing to do with it after reading all of this.

What is Kenwood saying or doing about it? They have to react to these types of concerns..
deeppink, I hope you have a 30-day return policy from whoever you bought it from, I'd suggest you send it back unopened. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.

As far as what Kenwood is saying, not much. I've opened email tickets and called their TS line numerous times, finally got a tech to admit that the random nav resets were a known issue and would be addressed in an upcoming firmware update. This was early September, last Thursday they released v1.4 of the firmware. I'm cautiously hoping I can finally program data into my nav and have it stay there more than a couple of days. TS is hit'n'miss with Kenwood, sometimes you get a rep that actually knows something but most of the time you can tell they're reading from a menu.

Boot time is 43 sec. to music, 53 sec. to nav ready on my unit. One plus, the backup camera comes on immediately.

No text capability on the unit, if you go to their website and do some digging you'll find it actually works with a couple of phones, none of which are currently being made. There are a few more that the unit will beep and let you know you got a message. Any iPhone doesn't do either.

No way to back up or restore nav data or import data from another Garmin unit. TS rep told me that was not an "advertised feature" and would not be considered in any firmware updates. Arrogant little prick, that one. Unit ships with 2013 maps which were available 2 years ago, currently Garmin is at the second issue of 2014 maps. No map updates available from Kenwood.

But the audio is OK, nothing to write home about, but acceptable through stock speakers and the Bluetooth works really well. I've only had the unit drop the iPhone a couple of times in 3+ months so I guess I'm somewhat lucky.

I could go on but afraid this is turning into a rant, apologies in advance. Like I said, no way would I recommend this unit even to someone I didn't like.

Best,
Bill

"Born to fish, forced to work...."

Last edited by billg71; 12-10-2013 at 05:22 PM..
billg71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #28
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 nickt will become famous soon enoughnickt will become famous soon enoughnickt will become famous soon enoughnickt will become famous soon enoughnickt will become famous soon enoughnickt will become famous soon enough

Is Alpine any better? I have an OEM DD Toyota radio that works great (BT, navigation, caller ID). But I have hiss at high volume running it with a DSP since the output of the OEM radio is really low. I was thinking about getting an aftermarket DD but I am kinda concern now.
nickt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 125 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Ok another well written review but sort of reversed of what I went through. Technically I only need three things. Double din to fill that gaping hole in my dash. Bluetooth so that Johnny law will let my people free, cd/IPod capabilities so that music actually flows through my speakers. So I am on a quest if this 890HD doesn't do it to find a simplistic do as it states double din head unit...

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

For sale NIB / Sinfoni Tempo 10 / Sinfoni T65W / Rear view camera....
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Unfortunately, everyone is learning about these faults at the same time (both dealers and consumers). I have no news from Kenwood directly, but the rep did tell me they know that this year has been nothing but issues with their units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg71 View Post
I feel your pain, after a couple trips back to the dealer I gave up hammering on them, they didn't make the unit and can't fix it. They're great people, no sense busting up a good working relationship over something that's not their fault. I expect some customers aren't as understanding.

My dealer says they don't even mention the Kenwoods when someone comes in for a NAV unit unless they specifically ask(like I did )
And from a dealers stand point (a good one), we completely feel the pain of the customer. The customer usually spent big $$ for such a unit only to have nothing but frustrations with it. Every time a customer comes back for an issue, we don't get compensated for it so believe me we are angry as well. Like you said, the dealers aren't the ones who engineered and built it.. the fault is completely on Kenwood..
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 125 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

I feel for both sides meaning the dealer and the consumer. I tried to be as understanding as I could have been with it. But as stated enough is enough. The shame is the real losers of this deal would be the dealers if all of those head units were to be returned. Angry customers do no equate to a fulfilling business. Again if this one acts up, then it will come out and my Alpine single din will go in its place.

Speaking of which when you buy these authorized through the real authorized dealers, how long is the 100% return policy please? Not trying to start anything, just want clarification.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

Old 12-10-2013   #32

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kia service consultant

Rep Power: 60 The Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enough

Every Kenwood very ever used/installed has been deathfully slow. At the end of the day it's a glorified jvc but much slower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Performer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

So JVC in this instance is or has a faster UI then the Kenwood models ?

Old 12-10-2013   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Just to touch on my concerns, I did buy from Don. Great dude, without a doubt do anything for his customers. As with all the other dealers selling these out there, your at the manufacturers mercy. I dont like to feel like ive dicked someone around at all, To return an item unused I would say is the best way to do things but if I did it based on a hunch that I wont be satisfied I feel may be viewed as shitty. Id love to throw this in and say im the small percentage of guys who got a great piece with no issues but I have a feeling thats a gamble I wont win. Im torn on what to do.. I think Id glass a new Ipad in place of a DD before trying anything else if I returned this deck.
Old 12-10-2013   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 nautic70 will become famous soon enoughnautic70 will become famous soon enoughnautic70 will become famous soon enoughnautic70 will become famous soon enoughnautic70 will become famous soon enoughnautic70 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
Yeah, I'm sick and tired of my Nav just completely resetting and losing everything. Getting pretty fed up with it and it's in my good truck that I only drive once, maybe twice a week for less than 20 mins. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if it was in my daily. My trusty DNX7100 is still going like a champ in it.
After reading the specs and what was possible I was drooling all over the 990HD and even was going to put my 7100 up for sale. After this comment and everything else I have read I guess I am just gonna have to buy the map update and wait till a better Kenwood unit comes out. Dammit.
nautic70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 billg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just to touch on my concerns, I did buy from Don. Great dude, without a doubt do anything for his customers. As with all the other dealers selling these out there, your at the manufacturers mercy. I dont like to feel like ive dicked someone around at all, To return an item unused I would say is the best way to do things but if I did it based on a hunch that I wont be satisfied I feel may be viewed as shitty. Id love to throw this in and say im the small percentage of guys who got a great piece with no issues but I have a feeling thats a gamble I wont win. Im torn on what to do.. I think Id glass a new Ipad in place of a DD before trying anything else if I returned this deck.
deeppink, do what you feel you have to do. But I'll tell you from experience this unit does not in any way live up to the hype you read on Kenwood's website. You want to gamble, bet on the Falcons in the Super Bowl, you'll have a better chance.

Look at it this way: Kenwood doesn't give a fart in Hell what you, me and the other end users of this unit have to say. All they care about is pushing sales through their dealer network. We're not their customers, the dealers are.

If the dealers can't sell or they get excessive returns they won't order more units. Sales will drop off and then maybe Kenwood will pay attention.

Think of it as a public service... Send It Back!

Bill

Old 12-10-2013   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

I guess for now I'm still digging on mine. I had one glitch where it showed a DC Error but a quick reset and it was back to normal. Haven't had any issues since. I won't talk shit about it just yet....but if it goes south I damned sure will. lol

2012 Ram R/T
DRZ9255, 6to8v8, Mosconi AS200.4 (x2), Focal Utopia Be N*7, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL
UNBROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 caraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Return it, probably will be easier to the rep to sell or return to kenwood if is completly sealed.
caraudioworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Im going to send my seller an email expressing my conserns. I havent opened any of the product yet to even glance at so a return should'nt be a huge issue. I truely dont want any bad blood over this but the truth is, It isnt my fault nor my sellers that the product has left so many consumers upset and let down. Id hate to see Don or anyone else for that matter stuck with a bunch of these as used returns that they cant send back to their supplier so keeping them as new should work out best. The damn website and manual says it works with iphone and ive read now several people say it doesnt from real world expierience. That seals the deal for me..
Old 12-11-2013   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Frisk151 will become famous soon enoughFrisk151 will become famous soon enoughFrisk151 will become famous soon enoughFrisk151 will become famous soon enoughFrisk151 will become famous soon enoughFrisk151 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
Glad to read everyone's feedback. I was just about to pull the trigger on purchasing this head unit but some searches have shown a lot of unhappy owners.
Out of curiosity, has anyone updated the latest firmware that Kenwood is showing on their site for December 2, 2013? If so, did it fix any of the issues or not really?
Thanks,
David
Frisk151 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

I did the newest firmware update just before my radio was pulled and swapped. It took awhile to download and when all was said and done, my Bluetooth improved but the UI lag remained along with the extremely long start up time. But my biggest gripe of all was losing my functions and THAT did not change.

Old 12-11-2013   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40113 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do they reimburse you for lost time trying to fix the problems and deal with customers with these problems? I guess Kenwood is too big a player to kick to the curb, but this would make me want to if they didn't pay out for lost time.

Manufacturers are the usually very difficult to get money from as a vendor, maybe ask them for coupons, discounts, vouchers for your customers.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013   #43

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisk151 View Post
Hi all,
Glad to read everyone's feedback. I was just about to pull the trigger on purchasing this head unit but some searches have shown a lot of unhappy owners.
Out of curiosity, has anyone updated the latest firmware that Kenwood is showing on their site for December 2, 2013? If so, did it fix any of the issues or not really?
Thanks,
David
I installed the 1.4 update last Thursday, no improvement in boot times.

So far, the nav reset bug seems to be fixed, longest the unit has gone without resetting before is 5 days. Cautiously optimistic about this, if it resets again it's coming out.

Evidently the 1.2 update broke Twitter and Facebook, you could log in but no feed displayed. Twitter works now, don't know about FB. Scroll down the Twitter feed, select a message to read, when you return you get taken to the top of the feed, have to scroll down again. Annoying.

They did fix the problem with turning off the built-in ringer for the phone, previously you could turn it off but it came back on next time you started the car. Still no fix for defeating the nav mute, you can turn it off but it still mutes. Only fix for that is to turn off voice prompts in the nav setup.

There's a bit of a lag in the interface but I've never experienced the 2-4 seconds that others are complaining about. It's not iPad quick but I'm OK with it. Maybe I got lucky...

Overall, operation on this unit is pretty clunky, not at all what you'd expect from the price. Sort of like 2008-era software. Multiple setup menus, some have the option to back out but others you have to hit Home button and start all over. iPod controls are hard to use, iPhone controls are a little better.

Bluetooth is still great, the unit supports Siri on the iPhone which most others don't.

If you're still thinking about this unit I'd suggest spending an hour or so playing with it on a demo board before laying out the cash. If you have SWCs in your Car be careful about which interface box you choose, it's hard to find one that supports all functions in some cars. In my 4Runner I can answer the phone from the wheel but can't initiate calls or hang up. Have to go to the unit or the phone for that. Can't access Siri from the SWC either, have to push the button on the phone or go into the Telephone menu on the HU. No hard button to get into the Tel menu, have to go through the Home screen and select.

Overall, I have to say this unit's not quite ready for prime time. Just spend some time with a demo and make your own decisions, some folks are happy as pigs in slop with it.

HTH,
Bill

Old 12-15-2013   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
Do they reimburse you for lost time trying to fix the problems and deal with customers with these problems? I guess Kenwood is too big a player to kick to the curb, but this would make me want to if they didn't pay out for lost time.

Manufacturers are the usually very difficult to get money from as a vendor, maybe ask them for coupons, discounts, vouchers for your customers.
Haha, oh no. Nothing is reimbursed for lost time fixing issues. It's gotten to the point where it looks like we're going to drop Excelon and continue with Pioneer and Alpine.

I've always been the one to say you're never too big to fail. Dealers across the nation have a bad taste in their mouth with Kenwood 2013.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 112 putergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to putergod Send a message via Yahoo to putergod

I owned one for about two weeks... sent it back to Crutchfield.
While it was a "nice head unit", and had a ton of features, I felt it was still in alpha, or barely beta, stage and not ready for prime time.
putergod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Mine was returned as well, and sadly the new model that replaced it is acting up also. At this point I am so soured by Kenwood dd till I am unwilling to have anymore purchased or installed in my Car !!!!

Old 01-08-2014   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Mine was returned as well, and sadly the new model that replaced it is acting up also. At this point I am so soured by Kenwood dd till I am unwilling to have anymore purchased or installed in my Car !!!!
Same here. Before I landed my Pioneer Z110BT about 3-4 years ago, I tried a Kenwood DNX814 (I think that was it anyways). I hated that thing. It was so freakin' slow and clumbsy to use (not what you want on the road) and for some reason I could get absolutely no bass out of it at all from the sub. Just before I dumped it, I put in my first processor and it actually sounded amazing but only then. Not sure exactly what the issue was with the bass but my Bit One cured that at least. In the end, I just couldn't get past the sluggish GUI on it. Too bad too as it was the last unit that had 5.1 built into it. Been happy with every Pioneer unit I've ever bought really and now am really anxious to see the soon to be released new NEX units. Just wish I had some coin for one if it is what I hope them to be.

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Well unless Kenwood can pull a rabbit out of their hat, they've lost me as far as a customer..

Old 01-08-2014   #49

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 112 putergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to putergod Send a message via Yahoo to putergod

They haven't "lost" me... yet... I am holding out hope that something remarkable will come out soon. Just the fact they use Garmin for all their nav units keeps me "hanging on", lol.
putergod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Lol I should clarify that I have no need for navi, and currently my nib installed Kenwood navi is NOT functioning even with the firmware update. I need a full size head unit with no lag and one that does what it's herald to do. So if I were to eliminate navi and no need for wifi, that seems to give me hope if they have a model like that. I owned three of the 2013 models and sadly they have failed me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement