Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please. - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014   #51

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Driven Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 80 Driven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please.

Coppertone, what model do you have that the NAV is not working on?

Driven Audio - Abbotsford, BC, Canada
www.drivenaudio.ca Facebook Page
Ph: 604-746-3110
Driven Audio Tony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 128 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

The DNX890HD one, which was expertly installed yet went out on me. Let me clarify it's now up as long as I do NOT enter a destination.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Selling Sinfoni nib speakers ......
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014   #53

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Driven Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 80 Driven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enoughDriven Audio Tony will become famous soon enough

Check the firmware on it. There was a batch of units with corrupted memory cards for the NAV. The firmware update that is posted now (I think it's posted in the US) has a check for that, which is covered if you have warranty.

The problem you describe is not 100% the issue as I understand it, but worth checking before going to far. Regardless if the NAV isn't working right, I'm sure Kenwood will help get you fixed up provided it was purchased from an Authorized dealer.

I think the US firmware is 1.7. Your authorized Kenwood Excelon dealer should be able to help you out with it to double check etc.

Let us know what you find.

Driven Audio - Abbotsford, BC, Canada
www.drivenaudio.ca Facebook Page
Ph: 604-746-3110
Driven Audio Tony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 128 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

My firmware is the current 1.7 and it was along with the other one purchased from an authorized vendor. Full warranty, but I'm in no mood to have to swap radios once a month to get a functioning one. Maybe I am asking too much of it, maybe Kenwoods just don't like me. Either way I had considered this car complete until the head unit problems started to occur.

Old 01-09-2014   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Again just to clarify I have NO problem with the install of this radio, it just seems that the Excelon model doesn't work for me. After evaluating my needs while sitting in my garage, I have deemed these things necessary . Must be motorized due to the placement in my dash. Must have clear easy to link BT. Must be quick when it comes to control of an iPod. Last but not least, must play cd. With these limitations, maybe so etching in Kenwood's line up will do me right.

Old 01-09-2014   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 236 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Look at an Alpine.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Look at an Alpine.
After reading about these new NEX units from Pioneer, I would say to look there over Alpine now. I was leaning toward Alpine myself but I really like the new stuff being brought forward by Pioneer this year. You just have a couple months to wait tho.

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mweinbender will become famous soon enoughmweinbender will become famous soon enoughmweinbender will become famous soon enoughmweinbender will become famous soon enoughmweinbender will become famous soon enoughmweinbender will become famous soon enough

I have the Kenwood DNN990HD.

I was told when the installation would be done and would be able to pick up my truck. I got there, they had to pull the unit out and install another one because the first unit "bricked" when the installers attempted to update. I should have ran at that point.

Yes. The unit boots painfully slow. I do NOT like this unit, don't waste your money, and here's why. The whole "web connected" head unit is way over rated. The web is VERY slow on the unit. And completely unsafe to use.

Firstly, the screen on this is a piece of crap. The response to your touch is very poor. Sometimes you touch an icon and it registers, and does nothing. Sometimes you have to touch an icon 2-3 times. And you have to be deadly accurate when touching the icon. When you're driving and have to perform duties like this, not safe at all. As well, you get any sun on the screen at all, its almost impossible to read.

Yes. The bluetooth drops constantly. Grrrrrrrr

Yes. The menus are confusing. The "home" button at the bottom of your unit doesn't take you "home" sometimes, but you have to hit the well hidden HOME icon on the screen.

Yes. There's been multiple times I had no audio at all, and the only way to get audio was to pull over, shut off the truck and start it again. Wait for the 45 second boot up, and continue on.

Yes. The preferences you save in the navigation section, don't save at all. I don't want voice prompts. I live in Canada and want the units in metric. These never save.

I could go on and on... the only thing I truly like about the unit is the sound quality.

Having said all of this...when I bought it as being Kenwood's "flagship" unit, I had a lot of expectations. ESPECIALLY with the huge money I spent on it. It is more than safe to say I am so disappointed in not going with Alpine which has always served me well. I feel ripped off, and will NEVER buy another Kenwood product. Ever.
mweinbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015   #59

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 mrstangerbanger will become famous soon enoughmrstangerbanger will become famous soon enoughmrstangerbanger will become famous soon enoughmrstangerbanger will become famous soon enoughmrstangerbanger will become famous soon enoughmrstangerbanger will become famous soon enough

the 992 has an upgraded chip and screen and none of these problems.

Kenwood DNN992HD ,MOSCONI 6to8v8,JL new processor
3 JL 600/4,1200/1, JLZR800, Hybrid L4SE, L1v2, 2 Kinetic 2400 battery's (Custom vented kick panels,Custom A pillars and B pillars) Soon to be switching to Morel mids and highs!
mrstangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40117 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstangerbanger View Post
the 992 has an upgraded chip and screen and none of these problems.
What about the other new models? The ones ending with 2.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 rxonmymind will become famous soon enoughrxonmymind will become famous soon enoughrxonmymind will become famous soon enoughrxonmymind will become famous soon enoughrxonmymind will become famous soon enoughrxonmymind will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear of the Kenwood experience. I have the DNX691HD series and had some issue similar to yours.
My first head unit lasted less than 18 hrs. Lol. Got it put in on a Friday at closing and was a happy camper going down the road. Woke up Saturday and the HU would not accepet my bluetooth were previously it did. They swapped it out. My review:

Kenwood DNX691HD review

Now this second unit is great. However as one poster stayed a tablet at comparable price point will run circles around most HU. If you are charging $1000+ you had BETTER have it up to par with an iPad or similar lap top.
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough

Angry Re: Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please.

I also have (had) the Kenwood DNN990HD Navigation Head Unit and I am happy to say, I just smashed this unit to smitherenes because I got so sick and tired of waiting for the Navigation system to respond, if it started up at all. I had this POS for almost 2 years and through 3 updates, never improved in functionality. In fact, the third and last update made things so bad, I waited in some cases 5 to 10 minutes for the Navigation system to respond. I could be 1/2 way to 3/4 quarters of the way to my destination before the NAV system responded. The music portion was fine. However the Bluetooth functionality was terrible. I would never buy another Kenwood unit, since they have lost my trust and confidence in the quality of their products. Next unit I am going to is a Pioneer unit, either the 8100 or 7100 NEX.
1279tnk23yar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016   #63
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

ouch...did they ever get this unit straightened out? I just bought a used one but it may not even get into the car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016   #64

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 billg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura about

I doubt it, I replaced mine with a Pioneer 8100 that has it's own set of problems.

My advice is to get a decent HU with a good transport and optical out and leave the nav up to a Garmin unit. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache and quite a few $.

"Born to fish, forced to work...."
billg71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016   #65

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough1279tnk23yar will become famous soon enough

Jax, if you can, return it and get a refund. The updates never fixed the problems and Kenwood flat out refuses to resolve those issues. They want you to spend another $1,300 and upgrade to the latest version. I would go with a Pioneer at this point. I have the 8100NEX and although it is not 100% perfect, for me it is pretty close. The car stereo place I bought both units, refuses to sell Kenwood because of the problems. In a few words, it's a piece of crap and that's a wrap.
1279tnk23yar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016   #66
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1279tnk23yar View Post
Jax, if you can, return it and get a refund. The updates never fixed the problems and Kenwood flat out refuses to resolve those issues. They want you to spend another $1,300 and upgrade to the latest version. I would go with a Pioneer at this point. I have the 8100NEX and although it is not 100% perfect, for me it is pretty close. The car stereo place I bought both units, refuses to sell Kenwood because of the problems. In a few words, it's a piece of crap and that's a wrap.
well it hasnt shipped. I asked seller if he would keep it and refund me minus some money for his headache. otherwise I will sell it when it get it on ebay where it came from .

shame cause it looked nice and still sells for a lot on ebay...

guess I am going back to pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016   #67

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 115 douggiestyle will become famous soon enoughdouggiestyle will become famous soon enoughdouggiestyle will become famous soon enoughdouggiestyle will become famous soon enoughdouggiestyle will become famous soon enoughdouggiestyle will become famous soon enough

I have the 891HD which I bought from Coppertone and for the most part I like it.
I haven't had any issues with the navigation itself.

Only gripe for me is that BT controls are a bit janky:
- My phone connects fine but my GF's phone only connect calls, not music
- Randomly it'll go into iPod mode, instead of BT mode, which doesn't output audio
- There's a super annoying phone overriding feature where the phone will send nav prompts to the unit if I'm not connected via BT. Except by the time it connects, it's too late and all it's done is caused a few seconds of interruption

All in all, I'm happy with it. I realize it's been a week so you've probably taken action already. If you do still have questions, let me know.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 DMZamora will become famous soon enoughDMZamora will become famous soon enoughDMZamora will become famous soon enoughDMZamora will become famous soon enoughDMZamora will become famous soon enoughDMZamora will become famous soon enough

Just read through some Kenwood manuals from 9XXx and 7XXX series and found that they always mention that "The Graphic Equalizer cannot be set when you select [iPod] on the Equalizer screen".

As far as I can understand, they're saying that only the default (fixed) equalization curves are available to iPod source? Is that right?

Seems weird that you can customize the equalizer for any source but iPod.
DMZamora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement