Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 126 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Default Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please.

I've just recently had one installed into my vehicle. Upon starting of the car, I've noticed that it takes a while to actually boot up. Now it's safe to say that with the features afforded via this hu it's got a lot on its plate. Also sometimes when I go to swipe to change menus, I have to do it a couple of times. No big deal as it's probably still going through a break in period. To be honest I haven't even got 5 hours worth of play on it. Last thing is when I use my iPod or a BT enabled device, sometimes it drops it like it's doing a reboot then it comes back as if nothing had happened.

Now no way am I bashing this unit, but I'm reaching out to other owners in hopes of comparing notes per se. So if you own one and have observed anything that you would like to share, I would appreciate it.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 FOR Sale with grill.
Clarion NX706 for sale
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 mark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Who actually owns a Kenwood DNN990HD and your thoughts please.

I have been doing some research on this head unit and I keep seeing the same things your saying. There are a lot of unhappy ppl due to these issues. Sloooow start up is the main and blue tooth dropping is a big issue too. I was looking to pick one up but I think I can wait till CES to see if something new comes up.
mark620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 126 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Don't get me wrong as I have gone through a lot of double dins, and all seem to have their share of headaches. My feeling is that with my single dins, as soon as I turned the Car on, my music was there. I guess as I've gotten older, I have no tolerance for lag lol.

I'm going to do some more research and see if there's a way to maybe bypass all of the things that has to be started also. Now I must say this WiFi is the business. I like being to read my mail and send photos on the fly. Hopefully with more time spent with it, I will overcome its shortcomings.

Clarion NX706 for sale

Last edited by Coppertone; 11-16-2013 at 02:21 AM..

Old 11-16-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 Schizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enoughSchizm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Don't get me wrong as I have gone through a lot of double dins, and all seem to have their share of headaches. I guess my feeling is that with my single dins, as soon as I turned the Car on, my music was there. I guess as I've gotten older, I have no tolerance for lag lol.

I'm going to do some more research and see if its a way to maybe bypass all of the things that have to be started also. Now I must say this WiFi is the business. I like being to read my mail and send photos on the fly. Hopefully with more time spent with it, I will overcome its shortcomings.
I began judging dvd players that way before the advent of blue ray. It seemed some of the budget units from reputable brands took 2 ages too long to boot up enough to use. The least it could do was let you hit the eject button before complete boot up occurred....back when people still watched rented movies lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
[he has the] personality of a syphalytic hedgehog trying to facef#ck its way into infected sinuses
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Alpines start up very quickly. Pioneers too. Kenwood units always take forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013   #6

Importer / Exporter

Rep Power: 5000 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

I have one. I'm actually on my second. My first one was number 18 so it was pretty early on and had a LOT of bugs. It would not take the firmware update, would show the little android robot on the operating table with a big red uh oh symbol.

My current one does exactly what you talk about. It will just restart at random. It normally doesn't make any difference because I'm listening to satellite radio through the Sync interface and the sound will just go away for a second. I have not updated the firmware on this one yet, I've been told that fixes most of the little bugs like that.

Killer deck though, does take a while to start up. I wish I had time to go through and try all the features and really get the most out of it.
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Kenwood AVN units have historically been known for being slow. The DNN units have a better and faster interface, they are still slow. I've installed 3 in the past 2 weeks and I completely know where you're coming from OP. If you can overcome those annoying things, it really has a lot of nifty features.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Mine is slower than Christmas to start up too...I figure I'll deal with it or all the other features it has.

2012 Ram R/T
DRZ9255, 6to8v8, Mosconi AS200.4 (x2), Focal Utopia Be N*7, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL
UNBROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Ok here we go again, this thing is SLOW. I've been able to start my car, open my garage door, back out of my garage, close my garage door, and backed into the street BEFORE it even boots up. Went to do an update as I figured that was the problem, nope update has already been done. I can honestly say I've had some slow units in the past, but this one's the champ. Maybe just maybe I am being too hard on it. I had to remove my iPod from it as with it, it was dropping my iPod and then finding it again. Started using my phone with Iheart as my music source, and that still drops. The last and only music source I haven't tried is an usb.

The Bluetooth is nice and clear, and the navi is nice and precise. I placed a DVD in the slot to see how it does with movies, and I think it took less time to make the movie, then it did for it to start. Once and I mean once it started, playback was crisp and clear. I was out in my Car in the garage from midnight last night until 6 this morning trying this radio out. I hate to rate this radio on a scale level yet because there are others who have it and may not be having the issues that I am having. But for me, it's not a radio that has made me happy.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 11-17-2013   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 mark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enough

I was really interested in this unit..Its a shame eclipse left the market...
mark620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Just read all that... Rutro.. Sounds like that Kenwood isnt going to make it in the Subaru long at all. Damn this is up setting. After waiting all that time for the silly thing. I was going to pull my CD7000 tomorrow and put my DNN in. Its alot of money to work half assed or intermittent. I could deal with it taking a little while to boot (I think). Im sure Don will take care of it if you wanted to trade/return but now what.. Whats next to try.. Im speaking to soon. Need to get mine in and play, it has all the features I really want on the go. Plus I got that cool back up cam too. I can see behind my little xB just fine in the mirrors, I got it for checking out chickies I cant see behind the car. hahaa. Wait, thats weird.
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark620 View Post
I was really interested in this unit..Its a shame eclipse left the market...

So true!
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

I haven't had any issues at all other than slow start up. I leave my iPod hooked up all he time via a port the truck came with in the upper glove box that I wired into the iPod input on the HU and it's never dropped out or anything. I listened to it almost exclusively on my trip from LA to Vegas last weekend and it was perfect.
I used Pandora via BT a little bit on the way back and it stayed connected also. I still need to set the phone stuff up and try that...maybe I'll work on that today. There's a lot to learn with this unit...more than I've had time for.

2012 Ram R/T
DRZ9255, 6to8v8, Mosconi AS200.4 (x2), Focal Utopia Be N*7, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL
Old 11-17-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Again gents I have to emphasize this just all may only be my head unit. My iPod I've wiped clean and am going to load again via a higher bit rate and with everything else turned off. Scratch that, I'm going to my local Best Buy and purchase another new one. Since everything else is new in my system, why compromise now.

Also this will be made to work as I refuse to add another radio to the equation. I soo want an earlier model Eclipse (7200) installed but I'm going to work on this radio everyday until It gives me what I feel I deserve. So either I will be writing the next review on this Kenwood, or the Kenwood will be writing my obituary lol.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 11-17-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Just checked mine...45 seconds from key on to making sounds.

2012 Ram R/T
Old 11-17-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

It's funny as I timed mine to be 47 seconds until sound emanates. I'm going to assume that since it's computer based, that is a reasonable amount of time.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 12-10-2013   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 billg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura about

I've had one since August, three firmware updates, still evaluating the last one(1.4, installed last Thursday).

No way I would recommend anyone spend money on this unit.

Problems? What everybody has mentioned above and more. See Kenwood Forums - DNN990HD and DNN770HD Navigation Receivers

Bill

"Born to fish, forced to work...."
billg71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Well all I can say is I caved, I gave in to its darkside and I eliminated from thee equation. As you can see in my signature I still stayed with Kenwood, just a model below and LESS headaches. Hey it actually starts when it's supposed to and it actually stays paired up via Bluetooth. Who knew that something like that was supposed to happen with a brand new in box radio.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 12-10-2013   #19

Importer / Exporter

Rep Power: 5000 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of my Nav just completely resetting and losing everything. Getting pretty fed up with it and it's in my good truck that I only drive once, maybe twice a week for less than 20 mins. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if it was in my daily. My trusty DNX7100 is still going like a champ in it.
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 caraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enoughcaraudioworld will become famous soon enough

Well I read the specs and features for this unit, is impressive. A shame that is that slow... come on put those high end quaq-core processors and tons of memory in the HUs, if small cellphones can have it, why not HUs
caraudioworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

All I know is if they were to offer me another one for less then $200, I still would NOT do it. My daily is my 2011 Ram and I'd rather stay stock then even entertain the thought of having this in there.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 12-10-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
I have no tolerance for lag lol.
I agree. In age where, for less than a 2DIN HU, I can get a tablet that'll run circles around any 2DIN when it comes to speed and user interface, I cannot justify purchasing a 2DIN any longer. I don't watch DVDs and, yes, it's nice having a rearview camera but I have backup sensors and eyeballs.

I went through a Pioneer something and two Alpines... all of them were not necessarily slow to boot but when I tap on something, I want it to immediately respond. When I swipe... it needs to immediately and fluidly swipe.

I got so frustrated with them I took my navi out and put the stock non-navi head unit back in and resorted (or rather, benefited from going to) google navi on my phone, which is by far and away easier, faster, and more correct.

Until a 2DIN acts like a tablet and lets me use GOOGLE MAPS or, I guess, some sort of navi software that isn't stupid slow and doesn't let me just type in an address straight up, then I'm out of the 2DIN game.

And I have an Alpine 940 up for sale soon. Used 1 week! Haha.

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package
Steeda Ultralite/Pro-Action Suspension | Solo Performance Exhaust
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

^^^. Wow I am really sorry to hear that your selling after only one week. I truly would prefer to run my single din Alpine.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Old 12-10-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, everything that has been said in this thread has been the frustrations we have been experiencing all year as an Excelon dealer.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Don't get me wrong, my replacement radio is operating as well as these radios do. I just from a business stand point justify paying top dollar to be frustrated. That's what marriage is for lol. For my next double din purchase I want it to be as simplistic as possible with little to no bells as maybe that is what's causing them problems. Give me great cd playback, Bluetooth and iPod control and I should be good. I don't need video playback, or rear view camera, I just need it to work.

Clarion NX706 for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement