PPIs new PC 65C3 3 way Components just came in - Page 28 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016   #676

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 124 Kornnut will become famous soon enoughKornnut will become famous soon enoughKornnut will become famous soon enoughKornnut will become famous soon enoughKornnut will become famous soon enoughKornnut will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PPIs new PC 65C3 3 way Components just came in

I think I will pull the trigger on these this week.
Kornnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016   #677
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Scocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enough

Bought of set of these last night, pretty excited to get these installed
Scocuddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016   #678
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Scocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enoughScocuddie1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace60 View Post
If you want a small mid that stomps that one(PPI 3") into the ground(yes I have the PPi P.65c3 set as well!) The Pioneer stage4 Ts 062prs is incredible! and its only 2-5/8"!! you can run it right in place of the PPi mids as the X-over at about the same frequencies! mine works fine right off PPI's 3way passive unit! may sound crazy but i'm running both the Stage 4 and the PPi 3" mid in my setup!

Has anyone else verified that their low mid(6.5") would pop fairly easy crossed over at like 80-120 at moderate levels,then later performed better after a break in period??( able to handle being x'd-over at 80 or so w/o popping?) or at very least did they quit popping at original settings of 120!?? mine are still new and I was just wondering(hopeful/wishful thinking!) that they will get better after being played awhile?? as of now I don't feel they take anywhere near what volume my Polk Sr6500"s and a few others would take ?? my feeling were that they pop pretty easy when new(with minimal bass or volume??
I'm having the same issue with my mids popping. Has anyone confirmed this gets better after break in?

Old 04-22-2016   #679

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 15 TheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enough

I guess I got lucky with my set. Right out of the box mine sounded great crossed at 63Hz @12dB. I did wait a week, though, until I really cranked the volume. But even at relatively loud volumes they hammered pretty well with no pops/noises.

AVH-P4400bh - MS-8 - HD900/5 - P65c3 - PH15
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016   #680
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I guess I got lucky with my set. Right out of the box mine sounded great crossed at 63Hz @12dB. I did wait a week, though, until I really cranked the volume. But even at relatively loud volumes they hammered pretty well with no pops/noises.

I may have misstated my original assumption that they pop because of a low high pass.

Doing some adjustments after the post, I realized that my midbass are getting a bit more Power then I think they can handle. Turned down the level's on my Bitone, and they seem to stop poping, though I do lose some of the volume from them. I'll keep messing around with them and report back.
Old 04-22-2016   #681
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 307 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your volume back, it will likely require a higher frequency and/or steeper slope crossover.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C3 | Illusion C6 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016   #682
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
If you want your volume back, it will likely require a higher frequency and/or steeper slope crossover.
Higher frequency on the high pass? I currently have it set to 80hz with a 12db Linkwitz slope.
Old 04-22-2016   #683
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 307 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocuddie1 View Post
Higher frequency on the high pass? I currently have it set to 80hz with a 12db Linkwitz slope.
Correct. If the popping is happening from over excursion, then switching to an LR4 HPF and/or raising the crossover frequency will probably help.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C3 | Illusion C6 | Arc Black 12
Old 04-22-2016   #684
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 207 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Correct. If the popping is happening from over excursion, then switching to an LR4 HPF and/or raising the crossover frequency will probably help.
But then again.....it might be already too late.

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016   #685
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth SQ View Post
But then again.....it might be already too late.
If that is the case...

Old 04-23-2016   #686
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

So the midbass popping was fixed by simple adjustments of the crossover and levels...

But then this happened today. What would cause this? Too much power?

All connections look good, the Speaker Wire doesn't looked burned or melted...

Old 05-21-2016   #687

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 15 TheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enoughTheTodd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan@soundstream View Post
We also discovered one day that the mid will play out to 20k effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz Archer View Post
Regarding the mid playing out to 20kHz. A frequency response graph does not yield anything I would call effective. Sure, I played with them without a tweeter, and I have seen people compete like that. But I still think it is foolish. Playing around to see the limits of a driver in a sound room is one thing, and looking at a frequency graph tells you what a MIC HEARS, not what humans hear. A mic has no judge of character, or relationship to space or density or "airiness". The set came with a tweeter for a reason. Tweeters always have been necessary and I am guessing they always will be.
Has anyone tried using the mid up to... let's say 8-10k and the tweeter from there up? I'm wondering about how high the mid can EFFECTIVELY play. Don't get me wrong, I love the way these sound but I'm in the process of changing things around slightly and I'm curious about what these mids can actually do.

In one of my previous cars I had Dayton Ref 7" in the doors and Ref 3" in the dash and it sounded great but was just missing something. I added a tweeter from about 8k and up and it went from great to WOW!

I currently am running a Pioneer DD into a JL HD900/5 bridged to these running full pasive (tweeters set to -3) and am very pleased. HOWEVER... I just picked up a JBL MS-8 and, per Andy's recommendation, was going to do the midbasses off the R channels of the JL and the mids/tweets passive off the F of the JL (100w/ch).

A possibility I thought of was running full active... midbasses and mids off the JL (again, 100w/ch), and the tweeters off of the MS-8 (20w/ch) from the previously mentioned 8k or so and up for that "sparkle" and feeling these AMTs are hailed for.

It might be worth mentioning that as of right now I have the mids in the dash firing up at the windshield and the tweeters in the sails, BUT I'll more than likely be moving both to the A-pillars aimed across shortly.

Opinions or experiences... ?

Old 10-07-2016   #688

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 CoastieRon will become famous soon enoughCoastieRon will become famous soon enoughCoastieRon will become famous soon enoughCoastieRon will become famous soon enoughCoastieRon will become famous soon enoughCoastieRon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Has anyone tried using the mid up to... let's say 8-10k and the tweeter from there up? I'm wondering about how high the mid can EFFECTIVELY play. Don't get me wrong, I love the way these sound but I'm in the process of changing things around slightly and I'm curious about what these mids can actually do.

In one of my previous cars I had Dayton Ref 7" in the doors and Ref 3" in the dash and it sounded great but was just missing something. I added a tweeter from about 8k and up and it went from great to WOW!

I currently am running a Pioneer DD into a JL HD900/5 bridged to these running full pasive (tweeters set to -3) and am very pleased. HOWEVER... I just picked up a JBL MS-8 and, per Andy's recommendation, was going to do the midbasses off the R channels of the JL and the mids/tweets passive off the F of the JL (100w/ch).

A possibility I thought of was running full active... midbasses and mids off the JL (again, 100w/ch), and the tweeters off of the MS-8 (20w/ch) from the previously mentioned 8k or so and up for that "sparkle" and feeling these AMTs are hailed for.

It might be worth mentioning that as of right now I have the mids in the dash firing up at the windshield and the tweeters in the sails, BUT I'll more than likely be moving both to the A-pillars aimed across shortly.

Opinions or experiences... ?

So, did you do this? I was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoastieRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2016   #689

DIYMA freshman

Nope. Never did. I still haven't installed the MS8 I bought MONTHS ago either. My son recently tried out for (and made) our local travel baseball team so we literally have baseball practice/classes 7 days a week. I'm hoping when the games die down in about a month or so I can get some time to do some work. It's also sapping me of any spare $$ as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement