Average Joe Review: Stereo Integrity BM MKIV - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Default Re: Average Joe Review: Stereo Integrity BM MKIV

Thank You. I am trying to get more reviews done but work has been nuts and with Christmas coming up a few installs I was going to do have been delayed till January.

I do like these SI subs though and hope to do a review of the 65s soon.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014   #27
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

<(O0=[][]=0O)>

Rep Power: 51 tjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Thank You. I am trying to get more reviews done but work has been nuts and with Christmas coming up a few installs I was going to do have been delayed till January.

I do like these SI subs though and hope to do a review of the 65s soon.
Looking forward to the review! Gotta make sure the pre-buy was worth it.
Thanks for the update on going 2x MKIV's. Sounds just perfect.

E88 CiC mObridge DA3 ARC XDi v2 1200.6 & 600.4 Morel MT-350 a/d/s 344is Gladen HG 201 Illusion c10
tjswarbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Well these subwoofers have spoiled me. I have been doing more installs lately (not a stereo shop) and I find as I am tuning the systems that I just cant make the bass sound right. My partner tells me they sound great and the customers are happy but I am just so used to the ultra low distortion of the BM that I just cant go back to anything else. I fear it may bias future reviews of subwoofers. LOL The only two installs I was really pleased with were both SI BM subs and both were just singles.

That being said I let a good friend with the proper equipment take my truck yesterday and "fiddle" with my settings and do some testing. Turns out my tune was pretty close to where it needed to be but gains needed a small tweek. He said he clamped the amp, not sure what that means, and its doing 636 rms @ 4ohms and only does 1 watt more at 2 ohms. So each BM is able to take 318rms without any issues at all. I was surprised to find the SPL is 141.8db! Turns out what I thought was loud wasn't even close to what they can do. He showed me just where my signal was starting to clip at and I don't ever come close to turning it up that high. LOL
He was having an issue with his mic though and couldn't get proper readings below 20hz. We were freezing our butts off though so figured I could wait till he comes back to town in the spring and do it again so we can save the files before the laptop crashes again. Don't know if it just didn't like the cold or what.

Old 11-17-2014   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Integrity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 136 Electrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well these subwoofers have spoiled me. I have been doing more installs lately (not a stereo shop) and I find as I am tuning the systems that I just cant make the bass sound right. My partner tells me they sound great and the customers are happy but I am just so used to the ultra low distortion of the BM that I just cant go back to anything else. I fear it may bias future reviews of subwoofers. LOL The only two installs I was really pleased with were both SI BM subs and both were just singles.

That being said I let a good friend with the proper equipment take my truck yesterday and "fiddle" with my settings and do some testing. Turns out my tune was pretty close to where it needed to be but gains needed a small tweek. He said he clamped the amp, not sure what that means, and its doing 636 rms @ 4ohms and only does 1 watt more at 2 ohms. So each BM is able to take 318rms without any issues at all. I was surprised to find the SPL is 141.8db! Turns out what I thought was loud wasn't even close to what they can do. He showed me just where my signal was starting to clip at and I don't ever come close to turning it up that high. LOL
He was having an issue with his mic though and couldn't get proper readings below 20hz. We were freezing our butts off though so figured I could wait till he comes back to town in the spring and do it again so we can save the files before the laptop crashes again. Don't know if it just didn't like the cold or what.
Hahaha, that is awesome! Not too shabby from low distortion some shallow mount 12's!
Electrodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 00_Lifted will become famous soon enough00_Lifted will become famous soon enough00_Lifted will become famous soon enough00_Lifted will become famous soon enough00_Lifted will become famous soon enough00_Lifted will become famous soon enough

I saw Nick recommended using fiberglass vs poly. I planned to use polyfill. What are your thoughts?
00_Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Basically, Fiberglass insulation has a lot more fibers or strands per square inch than Polyfill, so it works better because it's more efficient for the same amount of space taken.

Here's a very good test on the effects of Polyfill in subwoofer enclosures. Unfortunately it doesn't compare Polyfill to Fiberglass or other materials that are commonly used...

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Box%20Stuffing.pdf
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

So here it is several months latter and I am still in love. I have run a few different setups since then just to try things and the Daytons are still my favorite.
Most people I know are bass heads so i always play the obligatory bass heavy songs and people are always blown away. More so when they find out how shallow the sub is and that they are only 12". They play so low so well. Not to mention with a 500 watt (rated) amp they really have impressive output. I am activly seeking another 500/1 or a 1000/1 (both V1) to allow the subs some wiggle room. They can take way more than what i am throwing at them.

Old 05-24-2015   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

More updates on this thread.

I have since changed out the 500/1 for a 1000/1 and made some changes to the box. When I bought the box I was told it was .77 per side so I added boards to drop it to .61 and then added a little (1/2 lb) of polyfill per side. Some frequencies were a tad boomy but I attributed that to the truck. Well the truck has been heavily sound deadened and I could hear that i may have made a mistake. I called the manufacturer and discovered the box was exactly .6 per chamber. I removed the wood and it did improve on the boomy issues and smoothened them out quite a bit. What helped even more was removing the polyfill and putting a layer of GTMat on the sub boxes wall behind the drivers.
The bass is very very impressive now. Deep and tight and now I no longer need to adjust the JL bass EQ from song to song.

With the windows down it absolutely rattles my skull. Amazing output for an SQ sub.
I anxiously await the MKV version.

Old 07-19-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

I have had many say that the SI cant hit that 7hz note in "Bass I Love You". Granted the truck has a couple hundred square feet of multi layer sound dampening and it is a tiny sealed box but here is a video where you can see what happens when they hit that note. Due to camera quality the audio sounds poor, that also has to do with the volume level. Its not near max as it upsets the neighbors but here you can see the dash move with that low note:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 07-19-2015   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 Gomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enough

Anyone who ever said that hasn't heard them. It's ridiculous.
Gomer Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Bringing this back up. Question. I'm thinking 4 of these might be overkill, but I have a SUV. Would it be better to use a shared chamber or seperate chamber? I know if I'm using separate amps for each sub I need to use individual chambers, but I think im going to use one large mono amp. And would 3 be more than enough and 4 is just crazy?

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 Gomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enoughGomer Pilot will become famous soon enough

Depending on the size of the suv, four would probably be fantastic. I know Bradknob was running three in a Dodge Ram I believe. Really personal taste on if you want to give up that much room, but I'd go for it.
Gomer Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2016   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 Bminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have had many say that the SI cant hit that 7hz note in "Bass I Love You". Granted the truck has a couple hundred square feet of multi layer sound dampening and it is a tiny sealed box but here is a video where you can see what happens when they hit that note. Due to camera quality the audio sounds poor, that also has to do with the volume level. Its not near max as it upsets the neighbors but here you can see the dash move with that low note:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Quick Question.
Im looking to get more low end out of my 2 BM MKIVs. I have mine behind the back seat of my Tundra, and while I do have some low end on "Bass I Love YOU" it's not near what you have in the video. Now I realize yours are down firing, which makes a difference.
Im running them on an Arc KS 600.2 so they have more than enough Power and I have yet to see how much of it they can take because how clean the bass sounds, plus my back seats rattle pretty bad being up against the sub box. I mediated that a little with some CCF but I believe it needs more.
My box is closer to the .5 cubic ft per chamber and has a little bit of denim insulation inside each chamber.
Would building a slightly bigger box help? And putting some CLD on the inside of the box instead of the insulation?

2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS Crewmax 5.7L V8
Bminus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2016   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Down fire make a very large difference. Having over 1000 watts helps too.

Now that truck was sold and the subs removed. We rechecked the box internal volume and it came out to .608 on one side and .612 on the other. No pollyfill at all.
The new truck will get these subs but only have 600 (never could use all of the 1000 I had) and the box is spec built to .6 on the money with 1" MDF. I will be sure to update how they do. It will still be a downfire configuration.

Old 06-06-2016   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 Bminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enoughBminus will become famous soon enough

is the .608 and .612 net or gross volume?

Old 06-06-2016   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

No sub

Old 06-06-2016   #42

DIYMA freshman

Thanks. So that would put you around .56 per side with subs in. I think I can get that much without building a new box hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2016   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

would love to see some pics of your box LaserSVT

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Oddly enough I didnt have many pictures of the old box. I have some in the new box with the same displacement. Different amp too but even on 500 watts these things are very impressive. They dig so low and play so well I couldnt imagine ever selling them.

Old 06-18-2016   #45

DIYMA freshman

Beautiful setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement