EC3 Connectors and other comparisons - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Default Re: EC3 Connectors and other comparisons

I had to go through with that spark and pop again. Maybe most simply disconnect the neg bat terminal and when connecting it, it's just a minor spark or no big deal.

Try removing the in line fuse, Im not sure if there is a lapse of time in order to get a much louder pop and good spark. If you wait at least 15 min. Try connecting that fuse again and let me know if it's not something to be concerned about. It also happens with the amp's ground too, I used just remove the fuse, but some metal scars were developing on the contacts from the sparks I had, I rather let the neg dist block take those inside the hole before I set the screw on the wire.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 915 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have great luck with the XT60's. It is important to get quality ones, ones that won't melt down and deform during the soldering process. For the ones I bought, they had solder cups that held dual 16 gauge wire, no sweat. For reference that's Monoprice 4 conductor, with two conductors per side soldered together. Quite a bit of copper IMO.

Here's some finished:

The only thing I didn't love about these cables I made is the semi-opaque white heatshrink.

I debated back and forth with the EC3 vs. the XT60 and Deans, etc. Also, the Traxxas connectors, they can be an option as well. I like the simplicity and compactness of the XT60, that's what sold it for me.

I use a "helping hand" device to hold the wire, and solder it to the cup. Near impossible to to with two hands otherwise.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing the pictures and opinion. I hope to post some pictures once I get mine done.

And yes the XT60's can be done faster and it is also a good choice, when soldered carefully

Al

Old 10-06-2014   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 194 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
I searched a lot before choosing these over the XT60’s and the Deans.

The reason I did not choose the Deans, was that they need Heat shrink after soldering the wire and the part where the wire is soldered is small, no big deal, just a preference with more area and solder to use with the EC3’s, other issues I read about the Dean’s, hard to disconnect and hard to work with.

Can you elaborate on this part? Are you talking about when you solder the lead(s) to the center pin ? Are you simply worried about that piece (or the shield portion) coming in contact with each other?

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 915 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't go Deans because:

The solder point is a blade, whereas with the XT60 it is a cup, easily tinned and it holds a lot of wire well

On both the male and female alike, the terminals are shrouded so short-circuits are minimized

The force required to couple and decouple is higher, so I trust they'll stay together

Cheaper!

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
Old 10-06-2014   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
Can you elaborate on this part? Are you talking about when you solder the lead(s) to the center pin ? Are you simply worried about that piece (or the shield portion) coming in contact with each other?
Besides the good point fourthmeal brought up, when the wires are soldered, the soldered connections are exposed even if pos and neg are separated and they will not touch each other, they are exposed, having to add tape or H Shrink, to prevent pos and metal in a car to cause a short or noise if used with speakers.

The EC3's once soldered they have to be inserted in to the plastic housing and when soldered correctly, no bare wire or connection is exposed not needing heat S, although in some areas where moisture and water exposure is a possibility I would tape the whole connector like oem's do.

Also the cup on the EC3's holds hot solder like a tinny pot, making it easier to to dip the stripped wire, we just need to be careful not to use too much solder and overfilling the cup otherwise once cold the external solder will have to be removed with a blade because the plastic housing may not fit or slide until it clicks as shown on the videos posted.

Al

Old 10-06-2014   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 194 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Might I suggest this method I use when making them...
After you tin and then solder the shield and pin connections from the cable, use hot glue all around the connections and inbetween the wires, then clip some heat shrink over it (I used clear here) and shrink it up. This provides plenty of protection from moisture and avoids contact/shorting as well as a little bit of addition strain protection. I then install my barrel and heatshrink the barrel and cable end for more strain relief. The hot glue trick is simple, cheap and effective.

In the pics below, I'm using Canare star quad. All four signal wires are used on the pin and the outer braid is used for shield.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Great tip on the hot glue thanks, I see many manufacturers use a similar approach on speaker terminals, Hertz is one of them using black hot glue on the tweeter terminals.

Al

Old 10-06-2014   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

a lot of OEMs use that on RCAs as well. It is fantastic strain relief as well. Not very well field-serviceable, but less likely to need it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 CAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enough

I ended up buying the EC3s.

You all need to be VERY CAREFUL.

There are many, many, many counterfeit EC3 connectors on the market.
I ended up buying EC3s from E-Flite. Hopefully, this is a reputable manufacturer.
CAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I used the ones I had to make the connections to the head unit harness and the new HU I installed.

Convenient for power and ground connections, or for the harness speaker leads, to use factory speaker wiring.

Overkill? yes, specially with tiny 18 gauge wires from the HU. I had extras and I simply decided to use them.

Another neat thing is that I cut some in half, and they can be used as independent connectors, they have polarity indicators, and I used pos and neg when it applied.

Connecting and disconnecting them is very smooth and secure, no struggles or fear to rip or break the wire. The ribbed areas makes it easier or gives confidence to hold and pull from those areas. Everything is working fine even the steering wheel control adapter. And they can be re used again.

Al

Old 01-04-2017   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 Swaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enoughSwaglife81 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAudio View Post
I ended up buying the EC3s.

You all need to be VERY CAREFUL.

There are many, many, many counterfeit EC3 connectors on the market.
I ended up buying EC3s from E-Flite. Hopefully, this is a reputable manufacturer.
Whats considered a counterfeit EC3 connector? Is the design patented?

I had a small timeframe in my life where I tried the RC helicopter hobby. So delt with a lot of wires and these tiny connectors, batteries, etc. There have been some issues with EC3 connectors. The positive socket isn't recessed, so there is a ring around the edge that can easily short out against the negative plug. At least in my experience. The guys in the Heli world do like EC5 or XT60's better. I'm not speaking for everyone, and maybe I had a cheaply made set when I used EC3's. Just be careful with either and pay close attention. If you get namebrand Deans they are incredibly easy to solder and work great.

For guys wanting to know
Deans - 50 amps
EC3 - 60 amps
EC5 - 120 amps
PRC6 - 200amps
Swaglife81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 104 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

Anyone here have a referral to a reliable source for the EC3's? Any good ebay sellers perhaps?

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 forty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enoughforty5cal1911 will become famous soon enough

Don't know about Ebay sellers but I got genuine EC2's from a local RC shop. There seem to be a lot more of those around these days as the Drone business has taken off.

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - Acoustic Elegance IB10AU
forty5cal1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Still rocking a big-ass bag of XT60's I bought off eBay, like I mentioned on this thread in 2014. Same bag, amazingly! Not sure of their performance relative to Deans (which I used on my R/C cars in the past), but the XT60's with their protected terminals are safer to disconnect without fear of a short, if the system is live.

Truly, anything is better than the cheapo spade or bullet connectors of a typical install. I've also had good success with the XT60 used in power-ground setups, since they hold plenty of current and are polarity-proof, as well as short-proof. I use them to get a quick disconnect on my MS-8, as well as a micro-amp that needs ~12 gauge power.

Old 01-05-2017   #41

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I switched all my deans out for xt60. They are way easier to solder and way easier to connect/disconnect. Xt60 ftw, regardless of what it's being used for.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #42

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 leepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enough

I also switched from Deans to the XT60's. You can get 10 pair on eBay for around $4.00 now!

Dual Alpine HU's, Alpine KCA-410C & PPI DSP-88R, PG TLD 66, 2 Audiocontrol EQL's & 2 4XS xovers, Epicenter, 2 PylePro PDN8's & Dayton RS52AN-8 per door, Dayton 4” & Tweet in Pillars, 2 MBQ 15's. Alpine MRP-F600 x2, MRP-M1000 x2 & MRP-M2000 x2.
leepersc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #43

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 46 lurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enough

CAudio makes a very important point.
i work at a hobby store and fly r/c aircraft.
there are many imposters when it comes to all these connectors.
this isnt a big deal for speaker connections but consider this :
the imitations use very cheap plastics that cannot withstand heat, and the metals
are substandard, which means the current carrying capabilities are usually about
1/3rd of what the genuine connector is rated for.

e-flight is pretty good.
Deans products are very good
if you want the best look for Castle Creations products, especially if you want larger
connectors for powers and grounds, their designs are FAR superior and can handle
hundreds of amps.

there are so many choices of connectors at a hobby shop that it would take
a very long post to list and describe them all.
remember that they are no different than anything else we buy : you get what you pay for.

you will also find that nice high strand silicon jacket wire in many guages at a decent hobby
store, really nice stuff to work with.
and dont forget a good quality solder ! look for " racing " solder, it will have a good
percentage of silver in it especially designed for low resistance.

toss that silly 15 watt soldering iron and buy at least a 30 watt.
there are adjustable irons that are affordable and well worth it.

in youth we learn.
in age we understand.
lurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Very solid points. As I mentioned in my post earlier, I had to shop around to find quality XT60's. They all looked about the same so there's no way to say one was going to be better than another just by looking on a picture on eBay. But what I did was order a small pack and try them, and when I found one that just kicked ass, I ordered a big bag of them and that's what I still am using.

One pack I bought melted down easily when soldering. I kept dislodging the pins due to the heat, and mis-forming the male connector socket, ruining it. I ordered more from a different vendor, found them to be much stronger, and that's what I bulk-ordered.

Old 01-06-2017   #45

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 leepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enough

Wow, I must be very lucky then! All of mine so far have been excellent quality and not at all problematic. I got mine from several different sellers on eBay also.

Dual Alpine HU's, Alpine KCA-410C & PPI DSP-88R, PG TLD 66, 2 Audiocontrol EQL's & 2 4XS xovers, Epicenter, 2 PylePro PDN8's & Dayton RS52AN-8 per door, Dayton 4” & Tweet in Pillars, 2 MBQ 15's. Alpine MRP-F600 x2, MRP-M1000 x2 & MRP-M2000 x2.
leepersc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017   #46

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

After all my time soldering deans I just got use to having a male and female together when soldering. I still do the same on the XT just because it's easier for my helping hands to keep hold of the pair.

Good tip on the wire. I have tons of that stuff laying here as well sooooo flexible

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement