EC3 Connectors and other comparisons - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 92 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Default EC3 Connectors and other comparisons

I searched a lot before choosing these over the XT60’s and the Deans.

The reason I did not choose the Deans, was that they need Heat shrink after soldering the Wire and the part where the Wire is soldered is small, no big deal, just a preference with more area and solder to use with the EC3’s, other issues I read about the Dean’s, hard to disconnect and hard to work with.

The XT60’s are pretty much the same as the Dean’s, just easier to disconnect other than that, it is similar to the Deans. I never used any of these before, I read a lot and I came to those conclusions based on the way the look and some user’s opinions and even You tube videos, It is just a preference and we all we will use what we like or what worked for us.
These can be used again, the EC3’s do not need heat shrink, the way I would use HS with these, would be to simply wrap the whole connector, if used near a Speaker in the in the door, to protect it from water splashing, other than that the wire or connector is never exposed like in the xt60’s and the Deans.

The EC3’s also have a big cup where you solder the wire and dip it in hot solder, then it is inserted in to the plastic housing until it clicks and they are ready, they can be used again and instead of cutting the old wire and remove the solder, just tap the tip of the connector and remove the metal connector to remove the wire and old solder. Also when soldering the wire or removing old solder to it you eliminate the risk of melting the plastic overheating the connector.

The only negative thing about the EC3’s is that if you put way too much solder on the cup or spill solder out of it, then you have to scrape the excess solder in order to be able to insert it in the plastic housing and also removing the connector when using it again will take an extra minute or two.
Maybe a little extra time consuming pushing the connectors, when you factor the time putting heat shrink on the Dean’s and XT60’s I think it is the same or better with the EC3’s.

They are very equal in price compared to the crimped bullet connectors sold at HD $0.17 each connector, those can’t be soldered, only crimped. I have seen the 15 packs or 10 pairs of these at Orchard Supply for about 0.15 cents each, If you have a shop and you buy a bag of 100 of those crimp bullet connectors then they are ten cents each. Time is money, strip and crimp is faster than strip solder, install or HS, although soldering is better for connections. I would use spade when possible over the bullet ones and use the ones without insulation and crimp and solder them, the heat shrink over them.

Bottom line I bought 10 pairs of EC3’s for $5.80, doing the math I think, it comes to just over $0.14 cents per connector lead wire or contact and provide a better connection than the crimp type connectors, the EC3 can be used again, has polarity markings to avoid mistakes. I was afraid they were going to be small and hard to grab but they are big enough just under 1” ( 7/8 ) connected, and have a rib area to grab when connecting and disconnecting them, they have a larger version, the EC5 also if a bigger size is needed.

Some Pics enclosed, not time to check for typos and bad sentences

Feel free to share your experiences with any other type of connectors used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_1.JPG (41.0 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg $_2.jpg (29.6 KB, 228 views)

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps

Last edited by Alrojoca; 09-12-2014 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Typo EC5 for EC6
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 142 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: EC3 Connectors and other comparisons

3.5mm version support up to 60A of current, what are you planning to use these for and where did you find 10 pairs for $6?
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 92 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
3.5mm version support up to 60A of current, what are you planning to use these for and where did you find 10 pairs for $6?

For Speaker Wire extension, I used the bullet crimped type before, they are too small and when unplugging them they get stressed since each one has to handled separate, with these it's only one step and no stress or stretching the wires to remove them.

The ebay vendor I got them from is emilyandlily she also has the xt60's very cheap

Al

Last edited by Alrojoca; 09-14-2014 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Removed old link

Old 09-12-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

I'm still a little unclear, are you intending to solder or crimp these to terminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94VG30DE View Post
I'm still a little unclear, are you intending to solder or crimp these to terminate?
Solder, you can't crimp these. Obviously it's better to solder them before running the Wire to avoid soldering them in the car.

Al

Old 09-12-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Here is a video.

That shows how to solder them.

How To Solder EC3 Connectors - YouTube

Maybe it's an overkill for Speaker wires, I just want to have some flexibility by having one easy access point to change from a direct line from the Amp to the door speakers or passive crossovers.

I have seen some guys add similar connectors after soldering pig tails to the Speaker terminals also, personally I just wanted an accessible point, in the dash or behind the Glove box that it will always be there when I need it. Of course the best way is to have the passive xovers next to the amplifier, but that is not always possible when the room is limited.

For the door speakers I crimp and solder the spade gold connectors to the Wire leads and connect the spade connectors normally and use heat shrink on the terminals. Not a bad idea to just solder the Wire to the speaker terminals when possible and add HS when a helper is around or extra hands are available.

Al

Old 09-12-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Rep Power: 142 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the link, Amazon wants twice as much.
I only wish that they have smaller connectors for speakers. 3.5mm 60 A is certainly overkill for Speaker connection.
Old 09-12-2014   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 43 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

I like these ec3 connectors. I already purchased more than enough xt60, and yes they will be more of a challenge to solder because of the small soldering area. I have to watch a few more videos on soldering. I try to make my own rca's and melted a few connectors. Wish I had known about these before I got the xt60.

2012 Acura MDX (Base)--work in progress.
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

oh, ok. For Speaker Wire I use Deutsche DT connectors, but that's because I already have the barrel crimper. It's so much faster than soldering. However, the DT stuff is like $3/speaker, not $0.58/speaker
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=f7b3cfe706
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/18/AT06-2S-10017.pdf

Quote:
Old 09-12-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Thank you for the link, Amazon wants twice as much.
I only wish that they have smaller connectors for speakers. 3.5mm 60 A is certainly overkill for Speaker connection.
Sure, I'm glad it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLnovice View Post
I like these ec3 connectors. I already purchased more than enough xt60, and yes they will be more of a challenge to solder because of the small soldering area. I have to watch a few more videos on soldering. I try to make my own rca's and melted a few connectors. Wish I had known about these before I got the xt60.

The XT60's are good and they would be my second choice. You only need a good soldering iron with 40-60W, thin the Wire and the connector then solder the Wire being careful not to damage the plastic.

I see no I issue just leaving the wires exposed, instead of tube HSh for each wire, I would just use 1/2" HS or whatever fits the connector for a single cover, if used for speakers, no way they will come off or give any issues once wrapped with ha and with a wide gap between each wire, since we are not dealing with power.

Or simply use good electrical tape on just one conductor and wrap the whole thing or the side where the soldered ends are with HS.
I'm sure in areas where not excessive heat or moisture is an issue, only good electrical tape is good enough and simpler the HS and heat gun process

Quote:
oh, ok. For Speaker wire I use Deutsche DT connectors, but that's because I already have the barrel crimper. It's so much faster than soldering. However, the DT stuff is like $3/speaker, not $0.58/speaker
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=f7b3cfe706
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/18/AT06-2S-10017.pdf

I'm sure there are some good options, being water proof and reliable, I got these since they were a good deal, if I did not need the flexibility I would just solder wire to wire and wire to speaker terminal, but since I may do upgrades often, these EC3's or deans , XT60's work quick and reliable in pairs once soldered.

Al

Old 09-19-2014   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 sunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enough

These are nice. What are you guys using for 0/1awg or 4awg? I want a quick disco like these for my Power and grounds.
-a

'06 Mazdaspeed6 - Ms-8 / Zuki Eleets5 / TM65 & KAXBLTWT / Boston G5.
'87 Mazda Rx-7 with Ls1 swap - Alpine 149 / PG Ti500.4 & Ti600.2 / PHD Fb6.1 Pro / Boston G3.
'91 Mustang 'Vert - Alpine 148 / Pioneer Stage 4 amps / Polk MM6500 / Boston G3.
sunshinefc3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinefc3s View Post
These are nice. What are you guys using for 0/1awg or 4awg? I want a quick disco like these for my Power and grounds.
-a
I doubt there is a quick disconnect connector for gauges larger than 10 g.

I would use a circuit breaker and still keep the existing in line fuse holder.

You could place it anywhere after the in line fuse holder.

Maybe something like this

New Stinger 0 4 Gauge 200 Amp Car Stereo 12V Inline Power Circuit Breaker 200A | eBay

Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STINGER-0-OR...item460cf348ca

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Anderson quick disconnects.
Anderson SB175 Connector Kit Gray 2 AWG 6325G5 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anderson-SB-...item4ad7f19b0c
You`ll have to buy 2 to make a connection. anderson connectors are not male/female same colored connectors mate to each other. My favorite connectors by far.
Old 09-20-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Great, good to know about heavy gauge connectors.

One thing I'm not a fan of, is dealing with that spark or noise connecting every time after a disconnection is made. That is why the C breaker just gives me a better feeling pressing or moving that button or lever.

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

sparks? are you disconnecting under load?
Old 09-20-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Not when disconnecting, only the classic spark when connecting
The gnd bat terminal, in my case the amps ground since I do not like disconnecting the battery because I always loose the HU's saved stations and audio settings.

I disconnect the amps gnd( no spark ) then remove the anl fuse to cut Power to the amps to replace or test others

Then the reverse steps fuse and gnd ( key is always on off pos or not on)

Even swapping the gnd or fuse order always a pop spark
It's a common thing. Isn't it?

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 sunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enough

My issue is the fraying of the power/ground wires. I'm a little OCD, and I hate when I cant get all the little strands of the power/ground back into the terminal cup of either the distribution/fuse block or the amp itself. Its worse after you remove it for service, and then try to reconnect. Gets messy. That is why I'm looking for a solution like above for larger Power cable.
-a

'87 Mazda Rx-7 with Ls1 swap - Alpine 149 / PG Ti500.4 & Ti600.2 / PHD Fb6.1 Pro / Boston G3.
'91 Mustang 'Vert - Alpine 148 / Pioneer Stage 4 amps / Polk MM6500 / Boston G3.
Old 09-20-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
My issue is the fraying of the power/ground wires. I'm a little OCD, and I hate when I cant get all the little strands of the power/ground back into the terminal cup of either the distribution/fuse block or the amp itself. Its worse after you remove it for service, and then try to reconnect. Gets messy. That is why I'm looking for a solution like above for larger Power cable.
-a
You could Torch solder the end of the wire, assuming you have room in the dist block.
Also get a dist block that offers larger size Wire do avoid some strands from not going in.
Get a ground block that takes ring terminals and not bare wire

Or check this thread for some tips that may help minimize the issue.

SET SCREW SOLUTION!!

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #19

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
You could Torch solder the end of the wire, assuming you have room in the dist block.
Also get a dist block that offers larger size Wire do avoid some strands from not going in.
Get a ground block that takes ring terminals and not bare wire

Or check this thread for some tips that may help minimize the issue.

SET SCREW SOLUTION!!
Thanks for that link. Some interesting ideas in there.

I tried tinning/soldering the end of the Wire once. I must have done it wrong, because the wire swelled, and no longer fit into the fuse block. I think thats one of the problems of these "over sized" Power wires being sold today. If you sell an over-sized 0/1 awg, what the heck are we supposed to be able to fit that into? My amps don't accept them without making a mess, thats for sure? (sorry for the mini-rant, back to discussion...)
-a

Old 09-20-2014   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 Jesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
soldering is better for connections.
No it's not.
Jesus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Some interesting ideas in there.

I tried tinning/soldering the end of the Wire once. I must have done it wrong, because the Wire swelled, and no longer fit into the fuse block. I think thats one of the problems of these "over sized" Power wires being sold today. If you sell an over-sized 0/1 awg, what the heck are we supposed to be able to fit that into? My amps don't accept them without making a mess, thats for sure? (sorry for the mini-rant, back to discussion...)
-a

Use Flux, they sell it at Lowe's or HD, dip the wire in there then heat it and solder, maybe pointing the wire up will let the solder flow in more.

Sometimes if you have a big blotch of solder, just dip it in the flux then torch it and it will smooth out the solder on the wire.

A reducer like these, will work as a quick disconnect also, the only compromise is the initial insertion of the wire in the reducer, once there, no more issues, keep in mind Heat Shrink should be used to avoid touching ground or Positive with either wire. They also have like dual wire single ring terminals like the ones in the photos below if that type of connector is needed.

0 gauge reducer | eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m7Eh2goLocHa2vcav4iMvhg.jpg (5.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MSPA-04B.JPG (6.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg stinger-adapter.jpg (16.7 KB, 24 views)

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Not when disconnecting, only the classic spark when connecting
The gnd bat terminal, in my case the amps ground since I do not like disconnecting the battery because I always loose the HU's saved stations and audio settings.

I disconnect the amps gnd( no spark ) then remove the anl fuse to cut Power to the amps to replace or test others

Then the reverse steps fuse and gnd ( key is always on off pos or not on)

Even swapping the gnd or fuse order always a pop spark
It's a common thing. Isn't it?
not really,
If there no current there will be no spark. If you get the spark find what is loaded.
Old 09-20-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
not really,
If there no current there will be no spark. If you get the spark find what is loaded.
Maybe the amplifiers internal capacitors?

In my experience with all cars I had disconnected the bat neg terminal, when connecting it back, there is always a tiny spark or pop with the ignition key off or not even in the switch.

With the amplifier's ground or main fuse, connecting it, it is a much healthier spark and pop that happens every time.

Al

Old 09-20-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH stop tinning wires that are going into set-screw connections! DO NOT SOLDER THEN CRIMP. DO NOT SOLDER THEN SET-SCREW. You are creating a connection that quickly plastic-ly deforms and then almost immediately works itself loose. This is not a good practice.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH stop tinning wires that are going into set-screw connections! DO NOT SOLDER THEN CRIMP. DO NOT SOLDER THEN SET-SCREW. You are creating a connection that quickly plastic-ly deforms and then almost immediately works itself loose. This is not a good practice.
Thanks for sharing that, personally I have only done it with Speaker wires at the amp terminals, 16g Wire breaks and some Wire strands are very thin.

Lately I got some dynex banana plugs I used to avoid damage to the wire and the boots cover the whole connector to prevent shorts.

Power wires, I have never had issues, my GND dist block pictured on the 4 G inputs with my wire seemed tight, but the main ground takes 0 and that is the one I disconnect. Maybe it has to do with how much pressure is tighten, I have disconnected my Power wires with different amps many times and if I lost 2 strands would be too much.

Reducers or the info on the other link should help, solder is a pain, it is not cheap, it takes time and maybe only recommended on copper lugs that will be exposed to the elements, like the big 3 to prevent corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed004.jpg (24.5 KB, 92 views)

Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement