Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 madcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

So what, basically optical in to the apl1, then optical out and on to the main dsp where the crossovers and various other things operate?? Do I have this right?
madcowintucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015   #102
Upgrade Your Membership!

http://*****aplaudio*****/

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Rep Power: 38 Raimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowintucson View Post
So what, basically optical in to the apl1, then optical out and on to the main dsp where the crossovers and various other things operate?? Do I have this right?
Yes, as usually with any new thing in the signal path – optical output of head unit to optical in of APL1, optical out of APL1 to optical in of DSP. But this is simplest thing of all process ...

Raimonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #103

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 madcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enough

Kiss man, kiss lol. So basically like the dirac or drc, but you are saying your unit is more effective. I like the idea of a 12 volt ready unit then I don't have to mess around with conversion. So what are your recommended mics again??

Old 07-01-2015   #104
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Rep Power: 38 Raimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Kiss man, kiss lol. So basically like the dirac or drc, but you are saying your unit is more effective. I like the idea of a 12 volt ready unit then I don't have to mess around with conversion. So what are your recommended mics again??
Any measurement mic will work. It is not critical. Of course, it is nice if you have a calibration curve of your mic. But, if you can borrow the reference grade mic from your friend, you can make a calibration curve of your mic yourself.

Old 07-01-2015   #105
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I have 2 optical sources in my car.

1. mObridge DA1
2. Audison Bit Play HD

Both have variable volume embedded in the optical signal. MObridge uses the OEM head unit volume knob and Bit Play has a wireless remote.

I still have a volume controller for my Helix DSP Pro so I don't use the volume on my sources.

Just curious if the APL will work in my car? Or would I need 2 of them because I have 2 optical sources?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #106

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 Alextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enough

You could have optical signal switch and use only one APL1
Alextaastrup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 296 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't write on this forum that much anymore, but I thought to stop by and applaud Raimonds for this unit. With a completed system and a proper setup my system sounds better than ever. I'm not afraid to say that it's now at a point where it competes with the best systems I've heard.

It works perfectly with no issues at all so far and everyone I demoed my system for were impressed primarily by the imaging but also the neutral sounding tonality. I have done lots of measurements and research related to the APL unit and will present it later this summer. I have no time at the moment to process it all.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #108
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Would the APL-1 be redundant in an MS8 setup? Redundant meaning the fact that MS8 sets an EQ curve and then having this set one also...

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #109
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Raimond. I am ready to purchase your APL1 and would like to ask a couple more questions to confirm my needs/purchase. How do you prefer I contact you sir?

deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #110

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Bai Qui will become famous soon enoughBai Qui will become famous soon enoughBai Qui will become famous soon enoughBai Qui will become famous soon enoughBai Qui will become famous soon enoughBai Qui will become famous soon enough

I've been following this and the other thread on the APL1 for a while, glad to see people asking the questions I've been wondering. I'm piecing my system together and my question basically boils down to exactly what I need in order to use the APL1. My setup will be pretty simple, two way front and a sub, all running active.

From what I've gathered, I would run the signal from the source into one 2-channel APL1, into a dsp which will do the crossovers and TA, then onto the amps and speakers.

To use the APL1, I need a computer, sound card, calibrated mic, the APL1 and the APL Workshop software. And I would need to enter the target curve.

Looking at the APL website, the APL1 and APL software together runs 830 Euros or ~$920.

This all sound about right? You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumbass question, just looking to confirm what I'm figuring I need.
Bai Qui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #111

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 neoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enough

hanatsu and alex,

Do you have a reference target curve that you can share to me, because as of right now i am setting this apl1 unit?

I am starting the setting with APL TDA to clarified and set the basic setting in my PS8, now i get to the point to start playing around with the apl1rca

Thx

Last edited by neoysj; 07-01-2015 at 09:19 PM..
neoysj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015   #112

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 neoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enoughneoysj will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Qui View Post
I've been following this and the other thread on the APL1 for a while, glad to see people asking the questions I've been wondering. I'm piecing my system together and my question basically boils down to exactly what I need in order to use the APL1. My setup will be pretty simple, two way front and a sub, all running active.

From what I've gathered, I would run the signal from the source into one 2-channel APL1, into a dsp which will do the crossovers and TA, then onto the amps and speakers.

To use the APL1, I need a computer, sound card, calibrated mic, the APL1 and the APL Workshop software. And I would need to enter the target curve.

Looking at the APL website, the APL1 and APL software together runs 830 Euros or ~$920.

This all sound about right? You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumbass question, just looking to confirm what I'm figuring I need.
IMHO
That is basicaly what you need to used this system
Old 07-01-2015   #113
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I have 2 optical sources in my car. ...
It is possible to add second optical input for APL1 (plastic) that can be managed by a relay and remote switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Would the APL-1 be redundant in an MS8 setup? Redundant meaning the fact that MS8 sets an EQ curve and then having this set one also...
You should switch off any other eq because (in most car audio cases) they are degrading signal (poor processing). But if you leave as is, no problem also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoysj View Post
hanatsu and alex,

Do you have a reference target curve that you can share to me, because as of right now i am setting this apl1 unit?

I am starting the setting with APL TDA to clarified and set the basic setting in my PS8, now i get to the point to start playing around with the apl1rca

Thx
The "mp1" should be used for basic start. Next will depends on your preference. You can find it by use of parametric EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoysj View Post
IMHO
That is basicaly what you need to used this system
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppinkdiver View Post
Raimond. I am ready to purchase your APL1 and would like to ask a couple more questions to confirm my needs/purchase. How do you prefer I contact you sir?
Questions should go here.
Please use the Contact or Buy form on Acoustic Power Lab :: Home for a first contact.

Old 07-02-2015   #114
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I think the APL1s makes more sense for me because of the higher sample rate matches my sources and DSP sample rates.

Can APL1s be used in a car?

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 07-02-2015   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think the APL1s makes more sense for me because of the higher sample rate matches my sources and DSP sample rates.

Yes sir. That is what I am looking at it for is car use. It is installed in a few guys vehicles that compete over seas and do very well with them. I will be getting my order in asap.

deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015   #116

DIYMA freshman

Quote:

Yes, the APL1RCA is the stainless steel enclousure version that is perfect tobe installed in the car.
I, myself, right now installing this device in my car and in the stage of trying different setup
Old 07-02-2015   #117
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Quote:

The four year history of APL1 unit is showing that it serves almost all demands for use in a car.
The APL1s unit was planned for studio and live sound as it adds more freedom but for serious additional costs. And it does not have power input ready for car environment (7.5 V). It will be hard to have a return from such investment in a car installation.

Old 07-03-2015   #118
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Default Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

If using the mobridge DA1 preamp as the optical digital source, the OEM volume control can be retained. This is possible because the mobridge has variable volume embedded in the optical signal.

If the APL1 is used after the mobridge via optical, will the volume still be controlled at the OEM head unit?

Or does the APL1 need a constant volume signal fed into it and then a DSP with volume control be required after the APL1 to adjust volume?

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 07-03-2015   #119

DIYMA freshman

What I have been doing is cell phone aptx bluetooth to optical converter=cheap. Then optical into behringer. So I could swap out the behringer stuff for an apl1. Then on from there into optically into a dsp. My cell phone is what I listen to most on milk or slacker it sounds good enough for me.
Old 07-03-2015   #120
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Quote:
If the APL1 is used after the mobridge via optical, will the volume still be controlled at the OEM head unit?

Or does the APL1 need a constant volume signal fed into it and then a DSP with volume control be required after the APL1 to adjust volume?
It is very good if the digital signal source device has its own volume control. Everything will work very well. Another story is about digital source without volume control and having digital signal level squeezed to FS. You must reduce equalizer gain to deal with such high level and avoid clipping.

Quote:
What I have been doing is cell phone aptx bluetooth to optical converter=cheap. Then optical into behringer. So I could swap out the behringer stuff for an apl1. Then on from there into optically into a dsp. My cell phone is what I listen to most on milk or slacker it sounds good enough for me.
It should work very well!

Old 07-04-2015   #121

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 Alextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enough

Quote:
APTX protocol still has some limits regarding Hi-res music streaming. What you can use with Android phone is otg (on to go) USB cable directly to Behringer sound card with oprical out. It works perfect for me together with APL1. Now I can listen to FLAC music in the car.
Old 07-04-2015   #122

DIYMA freshman

What otg to optical converter are you using. I also was thinking hdmi to optical. Those boxes are cheap, since we don't need a dac I can get them at monopole for cheap. I just didn't want any wires to my phone the aptx sounds fantastic for streaming milk or slacker. So yeah I can stream milk and all them through hdmi to optical as well.
Old 07-05-2015   #123

DIYMA Novice

Right now - Meridian Explorer:
http://www.amazon.com/Meridian-Explo.../dp/B00BCJWTAM

But Behringer 202 worked olso fine for me (both usb-powered).
I do not have HDMI out in my cell phone, so I have no need to invest in video-part provided by the HDMI. 96/24 is ok for me.

Last edited by Alextaastrup; 07-05-2015 at 04:00 AM..
Old 07-05-2015   #124

DIYMA freshman

Oic, so the meridian is working as just an optical converter? I tried this using a topping USB to optical. It worked perfect on my laptop but I only got it to work one time on my phone. I was so frustrated. The idea was just a cheap phone otg to optical but why oh why only once did it work lol. So if you have a car pc or something that work great to go to optical. A better, albeit bulkier option, was hdmi to optical, totally stable from the android platform and cheaper, still getting full bandwidth out of that.

I should know this, but does the apl1 have a switching input so I can go from optical to another format?? And if so how is the input selected?
Old 07-05-2015   #125

DIYMA Novice

As soon the APL1 gets a digital signal, it will automatically swith to it. To choose between OPT and COAX digital you need to select one on the board inside the unit. Please ask the vendor about details. I have not used this function by myself. No need for COAX ... and APL1 was at the beginning programmed for optical digital input.

I have never got issues with Meridian and Behringer sound card. Both work perfectly with USB Audio Player PRO ... app. Hibymusic on the contrary gave some problems. I do not use it any more.

You must check if your phone is compatible with the otg-function. Mine Samsung Galaxy s4 is fully ready for this... Works every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement