At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
No extra charge, my buddy there who handles QA is just going to pull them prior to shipping out to me. Then if it works well which I am sure it will they will try to offer that option from the beginning.

Subs are not super common on bikes which explains the lack of a sub amp...until now
Very good review, thanks for your efforts.

Are they going to bridge it for you also. IIRC you have to Bridge it internally ; /
What wattage will you end up with? Any word on a 6 channel?
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 112 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for!

Yes, bridging must be done internally but easy to do. Though I am not sure there is much benefit, sounds like they are amperage limited and operating a single unit at 2ohm would yield better results than bridging two units at 2ohms (or even bridged at 4ohms):

bridging ucd amps - diyAudio

For more power, a user would be better off swapping to UcD400OEM or UcD700OEM modules. This would require a custom Frankenstein amp and the current Power supplies have not been tested to support this but in theory a BT4180 PSU would support a pair of UcD400OEM modules or a single UcD700OEM module.

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Interested if a group buy happens. Thanks for the review.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 112 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
In bike fairings, reminded me of MB Quart.
When people say "oh I miss old school MB Quart" I have no idea why. I thought it all sounded like garbage but mostly because of the razor blade metal tweeters. So harsh!!!

Old 01-10-2015   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

I'd love to know how this little biketronics amp compares to something like a PDX or JL XD or HD. It really does appear to be quite revolutionary in small footprint amps.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #56

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 130 crxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enough

I picked up one of these BT amps last month when they had a Christmas sale. Holy Balls!!! This thing is Dynamic and gets loud and clear. Zero distortion and great woofer control!!! Reminds me of my old Arc audio 4150cxlr. I'm going to be ordering 2 more for my 3 way active front stage. I'm amazed at the size of this amp. Barely bigger than my iPhone. Will fit almost anywhere. I knew these were something special after hearing the Hypex Ncores in a demo and was blown away. Never liked the sound of Class D amps of the past. Technology has come a long way. If I had to give cons, it would be the fans are a bit noisy. Not a problem for me since mine will be mounted in the trunk and not be heard or seen. The other was I wish I bought more than one when they were discounted. The price is back up...
crxsir121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #57
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 112 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

I know these are meant for motorcycle use. Can these be mounted outside of the Car or truck?

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxsir121 View Post
I picked up one of these BT amps last month when they had a Christmas sale. Holy Balls!!! This thing is Dynamic and gets loud and clear. Zero distortion and great woofer control!!! Reminds me of my old Arc audio 4150cxlr. I'm going to be ordering 2 more for my 3 way active front stage. I'm amazed at the size of this amp. Barely bigger than my iPhone. Will fit almost anywhere. I knew these were something special after hearing the Hypex Ncores in a demo and was blown away. Never liked the sound of Class D amps of the past. Technology has come a long way. If I had to give cons, it would be the fans are a bit noisy. Not a problem for me since mine will be mounted in the trunk and not be heard or seen. The other was I wish I bought more than one when they were discounted. The price is back up...
PM sent, I have a surplus of four right now, all brand new in box with lifetime warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Sound View Post
I know these are meant for motorcycle use. Can these be mounted outside of the Car or truck?
Given that they tend to be so exposed on motorcycles, possibly? My fear would be shorts at the terminals, though if install correctly and with the terminals facing down, that might be a non-issue. Thinking of installing on a Caterham Super7 or Ariel Atom?

Old 01-15-2015   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

I didn't realize they had fans. Depending on install location of in trunk that's kind of a plus.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 01-15-2015   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Yeah though I've never heard mine kick on even in high heat on long trips. But in a hot trunk it is a huge benefit.

Old 01-15-2015   #61

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 130 crxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah though I've never heard mine kick on even in high heat on long trips. But in a hot trunk it is a huge benefit.

Your fans don't kick on at all? Mine turn on as soon as I Power it up. Wonder if its due to the smaller size...
crxsir121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 RocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enough

How, exactly, will you use the 4180 or 2180 to Power the SI BM? Since these don't bridge, and even if Power doubles at 2-ohm, it's still 360w, which, despite what Nick says, I think is a little underpowered.

I have a BM MKIV, and would love to use these amps. I saw BT a while ago, but always wondered how they sounded for SQ. IME, bikes generally want things LOUD, but not necessarily detailed or nuanced, since you can't hear nuances anyway.

Also, do you know if the 4180 could bridge two channels internally for 3-way operation? (the dream)

Then there's the whole too good to be true thing...

RocketBoots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 147 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

The only thing I can say is how the hell are you suppose to hear the SQ of these amps over a LOUD ASS HARLEY!!???

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #64

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 RocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enoughRocketBoots will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
The only thing I can say is how the hell are you suppose to hear the SQ of these amps over a LOUD ASS HARLEY!!???

My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-15-2015   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 147 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

My thoughts exactly!
Not to mention all the road noise...the road noise on motorcycles must be like 10x higher than in most vehicles

I thought they made headphones for motorcyclists...

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #66
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 249 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

No gain controls and no bridging are strikes against them for me.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
How, exactly, will you use the 4180 or 2180 to Power the SI BM? Since these don't bridge, and even if Power doubles at 2-ohm, it's still 360w, which, despite what Nick says, I think is a little underpowered.

I have a BM MKIV, and would love to use these amps. I saw BT a while ago, but always wondered how they sounded for SQ. IME, bikes generally want things LOUD, but not necessarily detailed or nuanced, since you can't hear nuances anyway.

Also, do you know if the 4180 could bridge two channels internally for 3-way operation? (the dream)

Then there's the whole too good to be true thing...
Per my post above, bridging is possible but not very beneficial. They're better off using a higher powered module like two UCD400's or one UCD700 on a 4180 PSU:

Quote:
Yes, bridging must be done internally but easy to do. Though I am not sure there is much benefit, sounds like they are amperage limited and operating a single unit at 2ohm would yield better results than bridging two units at 2ohms (or even bridged at 4ohms):

bridging ucd amps - diyAudio

For more power, a user would be better off swapping to UcD400OEM or UcD700OEM modules. This would require a custom Frankenstein amp and the current power supplies have not been tested to support this but in theory a BT4180 PSU would support a pair of UcD400OEM modules or a single UcD700OEM module.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
No gain controls and no bridging are strikes against them for me.
The lack of gains hasn't been an issue for anyone I know who has used them, I think it is definitely worth trying. Hopefully we'll see larger module versions this year for people who need more power, especially for big midbass drivers and subs.

Regarding SQ on a Harley, those guys are nuts...though being able to play clearly over the noise does present a challenge to most amps/speakers and these are capable of sounding clear even at full output. But yeah, I am definitely baffled by the Harley crowd

Quote:
Not to mention all the road noise...the road noise on motorcycles must be like 10x higher than in most vehicles

I thought they made headphones for motorcyclists...
Almost all big Harleys come with a full stereo from the factory. I had no idea either until just a few years ago.

Old 01-15-2015   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 mosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enough

I know ALL ABOUT those harley audio systems, I hear them going by the house all the time in the summer. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nazareth, & Foghat never sounded so clear...LOL
mosconiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
You mean you couldn't hear all the best subtle nuances on a bike like this going down the road with wind whipping at 80mph? LOL!!!

Which is why 'this' is my road tunes when I'm two wheeling it:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Build Log
Old 01-15-2015   #70

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
The lack of gains hasn't been an issue for anyone I know who has used them, I think it is definitely worth trying. Hopefully we'll see larger module versions this year for people who need more power, especially for big midbass drivers and subs.

But yeah, I am definitely baffled by the Harley crowd

Almost all big Harleys come with a full stereo from the factory. I had no idea either until just a few years ago.
So will you Wire you SI BMMKIV one each channel with a 2180? And would this equate to 360w to the sub, since it's a DVC?

Old 01-15-2015   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
So will you Wire you SI BMMKIV one each channel with a 2180? And would this equate to 360w to the sub, since it's a DVC?
Yes sir, you are exactly correct

Old 01-15-2015   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

a 12" sub needs at least 400 watts.

haha...
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #73

DIYMA freshman

I'd be interested in a group buy if they can provide units without the 45 Hz filter.

Old 01-17-2015   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Hybrid Audio Technologies Inc.
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 145 Scott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Last Summer at the Helen Southeast Victory Rally
Is that Helen GA? If so, I live 45 minutes away and go up there with my family to relax at least 6X/year.
Scott Buwalda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Default At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Buwalda View Post
Is that Helen GA? If so, I live 45 minutes away and go up there with my family to relax at least 6X/year.

One and the same. I'll send you the Southeast Vic Rally info if I can find it shortly. Biggest Victory rally in the region. Fun times. The best Venders in the business are there. I had my cams and performance work done right there then dyno tuned by one of the best in the business. Three of the four best performance guru's in the world were there. I'd think a guy could really busy into the market with audio goodies for the gazillion Cross Country and Vision riders there who like their tunes. I'd be glad to introduce you to the guys who run the best aftermarket companies who'll certainly be there. Great folks. I'll check Facebook now for the info. Sadly my scoot is a Hard-Ball. No fairing to install audio.

http://victoryrally.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VictoryRally

Build Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement