SB Acoustics' Satori MW13P-4 5" Mid Testing - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015   #1

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default SB Acoustics' Satori MW13P-4 5" Mid Testing

I bought these to use in my car as midranges from 300-2khz. As you can see, there is about a 5dB bump in response beginning at about 1.5khz, I assume caused by the dust cap. To that, the Scan Speak 15m exhibits the same bump a bit earlier in frequency. You can see their spec sheet here. Heck the Scan 15w looks nearly the same in this regard as shown here. While the FR isn't ruler flat, the bump in response in my measurements occurs where beaming begins, so this may alleviate that issue by low-passing the mid before this point.

The 8khz (likely modal) bump is about 10dB higher than the response at 2khz. At 4khz there is approximately a 10dB delta between 0 and 60 degrees response. The HD looks VERY good. Even at 102dB @ 1/2m equivalent the THD above 150hz is less than 0.30%. The separation between 2nd and 3rd order distortion at this output has about a 15dB delta above 300hz which is very nice.

Overall not quite stellar FR, but given the likely crossover point here around the 2khz region, the issues beyond this point aren't of huge concern. The THD is very nice. Overall, I think this is a really good midwoofer (even better used as a midrange).

Subjectively I can say that I've been using these in my car for the past couple weeks and have been VERY impressed with them. I actually prefer them over the Scan 12m, and the Scan 15m/15w ... but I'm basing these impressions on aural memory which isn't great, so take that for what it's worth.

As an aside... these things are just plain gorgeous!

here's a link to the test results:
http://medleysmusings.com/mw13p-4/

Here's a picture:

PS: If you would like to help me keep up funds for testing, there's a little 'contribute' button that goes through Paypal all the way at the bottom of every page. Any little bit helps.. heck, $3 buys me painter's tape to help seal any small gaps in the baffle/blank interface.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log

Last edited by ErinH; 02-25-2015 at 04:54 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SB Acoustics' Satori MW13P-4 5" Mid Testing

Very nice looking speaker. Thanks for your review
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Wow really flat under 1kHz but so strange at 1,5kHz!
But it seems less dramatic on the distortion graph.
Thx!
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015   #4

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
Wow really flat under 1kHz but so strange at 1,5kHz!
Thx!
check my first paragraph in the OP.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-25-2015   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
808 Sound Factory
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 84 HiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enough

Really like the look of those Satori drivers. Nice open basket. Looks to be a stellar performer too, to go along with its looks.
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
check my first paragraph in the OP.
Yep, I read too fast!
I just tried this, is it normal that higher spl increases all "waves"? Or is it just an artefact of microphone/smoothing etc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (20.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-25-2015   #7

Bikinpunk

it's measurement methods. in the nearfield (which is done to mitigate any room influences and achieve a very long 'window' of measurement to measure distortion) there is a high frequency cutoff where the soundwaves are not given enough time to be represented accurately. thats when you have to move to the far-field (ie; 1/2m, 1m, 2m, etc). this NF high frequency cutoff point is determined by driver diameter. for this driver, that cutoff is about 2.5khz or so, IIRC. so that basically means the waveform accuracy of the response above this frequency should be evaluated in the far field. but for distortion, it's still OK because you're only comparing the original fundamental vs the distortion artifacts; measuring further away doesn't alter the result (I did a thread on this yeeaaaars back).

You can read more info about NF/FF (nearfield/farfield) measurements here:
http://www.artalabs.hr/AppNotes/AP4_...d-Rev03eng.pdf

IOW, don't try to match up the HD fundamental to the FF response because the measurement methods are different and that results in different response attributes. A good tester will know this. So be careful of test results you see. I've seen a couple people measure drivers in the nearfield and post that up as frequency response... their results are wrong.

*note: nearfield is typically within inches of the driver, while farfield is feet. the above linked pdf provides measurements that specify, but that's just a general point that may help you better understand what I mean.

Hope that helps,
Erin

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-25-2015   #8

Bikinpunk

FWIW, a friend asked me how to determine % distortion from relative level. Use this site:
THD to dB - convert percent % to decibels dB percentage voltage % vs per cent converter THD+N total harmonic distortions calculation signal distortion factor attenuation in dB to distortion factor k in percent decibel damping - sengpielaudio Sengpiel

For example, let's look at the following results at 102dB/1m equivalent:

Let's look at 1khz. At this frequency the fundamental is at approximately 114dB. The THD (blue) is at approximately 64dB. The difference between these two values is 50dB.
Punch (-50)dB in to the link and hit the "calculate" button and below it you'll get "0.3162278" %. That value is the distortion relative to the fundamental.

BTW, 0.32% THD is VERY low for a driver playing at 102dB/1m (102dB spl at 1 meter away).

Some common numbers worth memorizing are:
-30dB down from the fundamental = 3%
-40dB down from the fundamental = 1%

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-25-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Very interesting, some more readings in my todo list!
I also have to re-read the explanations on your blog.

Just quickly before, so you always have to merge NF and FF measured curves yourself to get a full view?
Is this why many curve responses around are a bit smoother on high frequencies?

Also, the difference between both curves is only about 2/3db variation.
So we can say this is caused by one feet only?
Old 02-25-2015   #10

Bikinpunk

don't compare the HD fundamental with the Frequency Response.

the difference will be the high frequency accuracy. above the NF high frequency cutoff, the response will look different than if it were measured in the FF. the PDF should explain the details better than I can off the top of my head.

for FR, unless you have an anechoic chamber you are pretty much forced to merge NF/FF together. the point at which you do this will depend on both the NF high frequency cutoff and the point of first reflection in the farfield. the latter is typically 3ms for most people because this is where floor bounce occurs for most DIY'r type measurement setups.

I went through the trouble of building a HUGE baffle (10ft x 8ft) and treating a room so I could get the first reflection out to 10ms. in the end, it didn't really matter because the NF/FF merge took care of the issues I would otherwise have had to 'gate' out.

read through the PDF, though. it really does a great job of providing an intro into measuring speakers (which is TOTALLY different than just RTA'ing a system).

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-25-2015   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 251 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

When are you getting the tweeters?
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
read through the PDF, though. it really does a great job of providing an intro into measuring speakers (which is TOTALLY different than just RTA'ing a system).
Will do! thx again
Old 02-25-2015   #13

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
When are you getting the tweeters?
according to UPS tracking, next Monday. (I assume you're talking about the Gladen 20mm)

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-25-2015   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Erin, thanks for posting up these tests and for your insights as well. Your a machine!

Question...Did you flush-mount this driver in your test baffle for your measurements?
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 251 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

The Satori tweeters silly.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #16

Bikinpunk

Nope. I typically don't flush mount mids/woofers.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-26-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 297 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting driver! Nonlinear performance looks superb for this size.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2015   #18

Bikinpunk

I'm trying to work with Madisound on doing group buys after I test a product. I started a GB on the scan tweeters with them and the feedback on their end was positive so I'm going to try to keep this kind of thing going when I can. So, I was going to see if there's any interest here on me running a GB for this Satori MW13p-4. If I can get a minimum order of 10 pair, I can get the price down to $245/pair shipped CONUS. At regular price a set would run about $325 shipped. So it'd be a savings of about $80/pair!

I'll get them in and do some impedance tests on them before shipping them out.

Any interest at all? If so, I'll make a "formal" post.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 03-12-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

I'm in. I missed out on the Scan Tweeter GB...but I already had two pairs so no need to hoard, haha. But I don't have these Satori's yet. Bring it.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015   #20

Bikinpunk

Okay. I'll post up on TT, too.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 04-25-2015   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 150 DearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished road

What do you use to cross them over?
What frequency and slope?
Where do you have them placed?
where are you placing the tweeter?

I can dare to hear what I hear,
see what I see,
think what I think,
feel how I feel.
DearS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 hdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enough

gb interest
hdrugs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 mrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enoughmrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enoughmrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enoughmrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enoughmrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enoughmrgreenjeans71 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm trying to work with Madisound on doing group buys after I test a product. I started a GB on the scan tweeters with them and the feedback on their end was positive so I'm going to try to keep this kind of thing going when I can. So, I was going to see if there's any interest here on me running a GB for this Satori MW13p-4. If I can get a minimum order of 10 pair, I can get the price down to $245/pair shipped CONUS. At regular price a set would run about $325 shipped. So it'd be a savings of about $80/pair!

I'll get them in and do some impedance tests on them before shipping them out.

Any interest at all? If so, I'll make a "formal" post.
Hello. I'm relatively new to this forum, but I've been looking at these Satori's for a while and would love the opportunity to participate in a group buy if it happens. What's the best way to get in on this?
mrgreenjeans71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 shinn_aj will become famous soon enoughshinn_aj will become famous soon enoughshinn_aj will become famous soon enoughshinn_aj will become famous soon enoughshinn_aj will become famous soon enoughshinn_aj will become famous soon enough

My friend told me that this Satori hold its ground against Scanspeak. Slightly clearer midrange compared to Scanspeak.
shinn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 hdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enoughhdrugs will become famous soon enough

Sb acoustics is also releasing new satori midranges i believe one of the model number are mr13p

The model tested here is mw13p, which i believe was more 'marketed' as a midwoofer still i got the 7 inch satori at home and the cone itself are among my favourites for vocal midrange duties all and all

Alot of life and still retains details my prefered compromise
hdrugs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement