DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Dayton RS150s-8 6" Mid

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ahboy 
#1 ·
A while back my friend Leo (300z) put in his car Dayton RS tweeters & Dayton RS180s 7" drivers. The are installed in stock locations in a Corrado VR6.

My first impression was how open & clear it sounded. The Dayton RS tweeters are amazing & coupled with the RS mids they are good enough to rival speakers many many times their cost.

I thought my OZ were it, I swore this is it... it could be better but my OZ sound very good. Well thanks to Leo I now have less money in the bank...

I ordered the same tweeters but they are not in yet. But I did get a chance to put in the 6" mids to replace my OZ CS-130 5.25" mids.

I'll keep this short & sweet... the mids are bandpassed 3400hz-160hz 12db.

Vocals are very airy, open. the truck had a nice wide stage... I think it is wider now. Females are more detailed, high pitch female tones are a breeze for these speaker, you expect them to break up & it just wont happen. Males were no problem before with the OZ, and the Daytons match them in that regard, but I think the low end of male vocals are a bit more balanced than before due to the larger speaker having a bit better response down low.

My ref mid-range driver has been the Focal Utopia 5"... BobG has these in his car & can't wait to listen to his ride again. They used to be in Beef316 car & that car got 1st @ SBN in IASCA Street class a few years ago ... I feel that I have found a driver that can match the Utopia I so loved for a fraction of the price.

I am currently runnung LPG 25nfa tweets (4 of them) & I hope to soon drop in the Dayton RS, since Leo currently used them I have not found another ref tweeter that I like better... yet ;)

See less See more
G
#11 ·
racer, I think I read somewhere that you took the bucking magnet/shield off of these mids. Couple questions :

1. How hard was the surgery? Big hammer? Heat gun? Explosives? ;)

2. How deep is the driver without it?

thx

#12 ·
werewolf said:
racer, I think I read somewhere that you took the bucking magnet/shield off of these mids. Couple questions :

1. How hard was the surgery? Big hammer? Heat gun? Explosives? ;)

2. How deep is the driver without it?

thx
there is thread on elite....where that is all detailed out....if he doesn't reply to this before you can search there :)

#14 ·
werewolf said:
I followed the instructions over at Elite... however I did perform surgery a bit diff...

I used a thick absorbing material & laid the driver on it (like packing foam) to help absorb some of the impact, & I used a plastic mallet instead of a hammer.

The 6" is 3.25 with the shielding & without the shield & magnet aprox 2.65

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.