Victory Sonics Power Supply Installed in Car - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 135 Ted J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enough

Default Victory Sonics Power Supply Installed in Car

Been getting my car ready for Finals lately and haven't been able to get time to post. Relaxing some after being at Finals all day and figured now would be a good time to post this.

Wanted to share another thread the Victory Sonics Power Supply for of all the things I've bought for car audio over the years it is my FAVORITE device so far and it's a great price to boot! I LOVE that little power supply. I used it when tuning the car this last week and also all day today and it was great knowing it was providing clean power and no worries of having to hook up a battery charger and keeping part of the car open for the wires running to the charger etc... I highly recommend it. Here are some pics and part numbers for the parts. Thanks to bmxscion on here in giving me the part numbers for the plugs etc...

092-292 NEUTRIK NAC3MPX POWERCON TRUE1 MALE RECEPTACLE POWER IN 20A
092-295 NEUTRIK NAC3FX-W POWERCON TRUE1 FEMALE CABLE CONNECTOR IP65
092-299 NEUTRIK SCNAC-MPX SEALING COVER FOR POWERCON TRUE 1 MALE CHA
100-574 CAROL 14 AWG 3C SJOOW POWER CABLE 25 FT
095-672 GOLD SPADE LUG CRIMP TERMINAL 14-12 AWG #8 2 PAIR

110-300 AC POWER PLUG 3 CONDUCTOR YELLOW (I'd not recommend this plug anymore for found it not to work so well and ended up using one I think I got from Home Depot earlier that I had laying around and some commented on getting one with the power supply but I don't recall getting one)
095-672 GOLD SPADE LUG CRIMP TERMINAL 14-12 AWG #8 2 PAIR

I also bought the mounting feet for $6 more I think it was and well worth it.

Please go easy on me in the pics. I used scrap pieces of metal and welded it together so it's not the prettiest thing but you don't see most of it when the interior panel is out and when it's in you don't see any of it since it's mounted in the left rear fender well area in back above the battery. I used a couple of tail light mounting bolts and welded a bolt on the other end to attach it to an interior metal panel as well. For those wondering about the rubber pieces I used to isolate the power supply some they were from Home Depot and I got them from plumping section and I think they are used for installing sinks of some sorts. I ran the disconnect out of the passengers side spare tire well for it's out of the way and doesn't get wet up there that I am aware so it works out nicely and it's up and out of the way and unless you look for it won't see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.8 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (33.0 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (45.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (44.8 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (41.6 KB, 349 views)
Ted J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 bmxscion will become famous soon enoughbmxscion will become famous soon enoughbmxscion will become famous soon enoughbmxscion will become famous soon enoughbmxscion will become famous soon enoughbmxscion will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Victory Sonics Power Supply Installed in Car

Glad to see you got the parts you were looking for for your PS. That mounting system looks sweet.

2005 Scion xB: RF 551X 4ch (X2), RF 501bd, MS-8, HAT Imagine I61-2, HAT L3, Knu 1/0 CCA on Big 3, Mechman 220A alt. w/ adj. voltage boost, XS D3400, Custom made RCA's, Knu KL3 14AWG speaker wire, Pioneer DEH-P8400BH, Sundown SD-3 prototype D4, 12" sub
bmxscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2015   #3

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
SounDrive Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 53 Tenacious is on a distinguished roadTenacious is on a distinguished roadTenacious is on a distinguished roadTenacious is on a distinguished roadTenacious is on a distinguished road

Interesting install. I've been considering the 60a power supply from XS power but I have one of these 30a power supplies for my test bench. I wonder if it would be a suitable replacement for in the car.

Owner, SounDrive (AKA WestCo) - Custom RCA Interconnects
damien@soundrive.audio
Tenacious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 135 Ted J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enoughTed J will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxscion View Post
Glad to see you got the parts you were looking for for your PS. That mounting system looks sweet.
Thank you sir!
Old 10-27-2015   #5

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
Interesting install. I've been considering the 60a power supply from XS power but I have one of these 30a power supplies for my test bench. I wonder if it would be a suitable replacement for in the car.
For tuning and tweaking and also some demo'ing at Finals it was great. When I'm tweaking the voltage doesn't drop but .1 volt maybe and that's very rarely but I don't listen to the system all that loud though compared to most.
Old 10-27-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
Dude, if you have questions don`t hesitate to ask.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2015   #7

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Dude, if you have questions don`t hesitate to ask.
And he will answer all of them as well! Thanks again Victor!
Old 10-27-2015   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted J View Post
And he will answer all of them as well! Thanks again Victor!
You welcome and thank you for great idea of in car install.

Old 01-15-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Can you tell me all the purposes of this device and if any of these are accurate or wrong.

1. Needs AC 120 volts all the time to use it at home or in a car

2.can be used to test amps, head units or anything that needs 12 -14.7 volts to turn on.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 LaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enough

OP, what voltage did you set it at when you installed it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RAY - 06 Ram Mega Cab with lots of air & fuel
05 Sierra bodydroped on 24's
LaydSierra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
Can you tell me all the purposes of this device and if any of these are accurate or wrong.

1. Needs AC 120 volts all the time to use it at home or in a car

2.can be used to test amps, head units or anything that needs 12 -14.7 volts to turn on.
Correct on both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydSierra View Post
OP, what voltage did you set it at when you installed it?

I ship it out set on 13.8. But can be set to 10-15v. Infinetely variable.

Old 01-15-2016   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 LaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enoughLaydSierra will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I ship it out set on 13.8. But can be set to 10-15v. Infinetely variable.

Would this create any issues if I was to do this with a vehicle that doesn't see a lot of road time & would be plugged up most of the time?

RAY - 06 Ram Mega Cab with lots of air & fuel
05 Sierra bodydroped on 24's
LaydSierra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

I don`t think so. set it on 12.5 V and leave for a year, it will not boil electrolyte therefore not going to cause any damage to the battery.
I wouldn`t leave it on higher than that unless I need to quick charge it.

Old 04-21-2016   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 marhen3530 will become famous soon enoughmarhen3530 will become famous soon enoughmarhen3530 will become famous soon enoughmarhen3530 will become famous soon enoughmarhen3530 will become famous soon enoughmarhen3530 will become famous soon enough

Forgive me if my questions are dumb, I'm new to power supplies in a car. Do you only use this when an extension cord or accessible wall outlet is available, or do you use an AC to DC converter? Where is the best and/or cheapest place to buy these power supplies?
marhen3530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016   #16

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhen3530 View Post
Forgive me if my questions are dumb, I'm new to power supplies in a car. Do you only use this when an extension cord or accessible wall outlet is available, or do you use an AC to DC converter? Where is the best and/or cheapest place to buy these power supplies?
Yes you use with an AC outlet that you plug into is when you can use it.

This is an AC to DC power supply so it does the conversion for you.

Best and cheapest place is to buy it from Victor_inox here on the forum. PM him for details and pricing. I recommend getting the mounting feet for it as well for it's well worth it.

Last edited by Ted J; 04-21-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Old 04-21-2016   #17

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhen3530 View Post
Also look here:

Victory Sonics 30A 430W power supply
Old 08-27-2016   #18

DIYMA Novice

I wanted to give an update on something I discovered. So the Power Supply if it's hooked up to the DC 12v Battery Full time and doesn't have AC power supplied to it there is a small amount of current it constantly draws from the battery. About 60mA on the one I have and the little green light stays on. While that doesn't sound like much it was enough to cause me some issues. Easy solution though, I'm putting a switch on the power supplies + wire so it will only be connected to the battery when I am using the power supply. For details of how I got to this read below:

------------------------------------------------------------

My car has a smaller battery in it (38Ah) and just the power supply alone could drain my battery in 18.5 days. Add in that my car has a constant 42mA of draw for the computer and systems and then my battery would be dead in around 11 days.

I let my car sit for a week and drove it some and got a warning of an issue on my car. Didn't have time to look into it right away and then it sat for another week and just opening the doors on the car and turning the key to the on position caused it to dip into the 9 volt range on the battery. (was trying to hook up to the computer to pull codes to see what was wrong was why the key was on and not running the vehicle)

So that little drive I had in the middle of it all maybe charged it up some but I was surprised to find how much of a constant draw of power the car all by itself is pulling. Guess I need to drive the car more often and (as I said above) I also am putting a switch on the power supplies + wire so it will only be connected to the battery when I am using the power supply.
Old 08-27-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted J View Post
I wanted to give an update on something I discovered. So the Power Supply if it's hooked up to the DC 12v Battery Full time and doesn't have AC power supplied to it there is a small amount of current it constantly draws from the battery. About 60mA on the one I have and the little green light stays on. While that doesn't sound like much it was enough to cause me some issues. Easy solution though, I'm putting a switch on the power supplies + wire so it will only be connected to the battery when I am using the power supply. For details of how I got to this read below:

------------------------------------------------------------

My car has a smaller battery in it (38Ah) and just the power supply alone could drain my battery in 18.5 days. Add in that my car has a constant 42mA of draw for the computer and systems and then my battery would be dead in around 11 days.

I let my car sit for a week and drove it some and got a warning of an issue on my car. Didn't have time to look into it right away and then it sat for another week and just opening the doors on the car and turning the key to the on position caused it to dip into the 9 volt range on the battery. (was trying to hook up to the computer to pull codes to see what was wrong was why the key was on and not running the vehicle)

So that little drive I had in the middle of it all maybe charged it up some but I was surprised to find how much of a constant draw of power the car all by itself is pulling. Guess I need to drive the car more often and (as I said above) I also am putting a switch on the power supplies + wire so it will only be connected to the battery when I am using the power supply.
Adjust PSU to 12.3-12.5V and leave it plugged in.
Old 08-28-2016   #20

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Adjust PSU to 12.3-12.5V and leave it plugged in.
I'm either parking away from a power plug or when I do plug it in I chance having the car driven away without unplugging so I can't chance though. I know what you mean though, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement