I'm using $5 speakers in my vehicle - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 142 stills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: I'm using $5 speakers in my vehicle

Beat it Hanatsu! ����

team mono
stills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016   #77

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Honest Juan Auto Care
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 27 jwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
NICE.......just ordered 4
Please give us a review if you don't end up stuffing them in the closet. Lol

Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS - Alpine PXE-H660 - Eclipse PA5422 - Soundstream SST4.0 - unknown 8" midbass - Kenwood KAC-9105d - two NXV NSW124 in .75 ft3 sealed isobaric clamshell
jwsewell01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016   #78

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 joe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enough

Wow, didn't bother reading this thread after I saw what it devolved into... but I thought I'd chime in as I have used these speakers several times.

One particular instance - old beater nissan xterra. Good friend (who helps me out with the shit people don't like helping you out with, like moving) wanted some audio in his SUV on the cheapness. Basically as cheap of gear as I could manage but I didn't want to resort to Craigslist, I wanted to do it with stuff anyone can buy new.

I ended up doing 4 x those 6.5"s, no lowpass, (2 in front doors, 2 in trunk) Then 2 99c tweeters with I believe -3db padding, mounted in doors close to sail panels. Sub was a GRS 12SW in a 4th order bandpass because he did not care about the space it took up in the trunk especially with the woofer enclosed. Funny how the sub box was more than 2x the cost of the woofer.

I was very happy with the outcome. Rear speakers were powered by the deck and the fade was adjusted forward probably 80%. tweeters were still bright so I used the deck to bring them down about ~3 extra db. The tweeters were highpassed at ~4k. Amp was a 4 channel - 60w to the doors and 123w bridged to the GRS 12SW. Anyone who rides in his SUV loves the sound. But they are college kids who don't know better.

I really like the sound, so do others who are more experienced. Definitely hard to beat that kinda performance for the dollar buying brand new. I fully endorse those speakers (especially for rear fill application) and the 99c GRS tweeters too (I don't think they are so cheap anymore).

Edit: these were the tweeters from partsexpress
1/2" Mylar Dome Shielded Tweeter 8 Ohm

I don't recommend this kinda thing unless you are doing it for yourself and really enjoy the work and such... using SUCH cheap parts is fine but you really start to wonder when your fasteners, adhesives, crimp connectors, etc are exceeding the cost of the core components. I'd do it again... but only for a great friend.

Last edited by joe89; 03-05-2016 at 08:07 AM..
joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

I have them too now, wanted a nice replacement for my 660gti
Well between two projects and preparing the Car for sale I went back to oem etc, so I needed a cheap 6.5", the high qts was interesting + I had the B652s already.
At the end the low sensitivity is a problem without enough power, also have a big peak around 1khz.
The oem paper ones were better (4ohms too), I thought it would still be ok but even after few weeks I can't keep them, so I'll try a much more expensive one very soon: Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016   #80

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 joe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enoughjoe89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
I have them too now, wanted a nice replacement for my 660gti
Well between two projects and preparing the Car for sale I went back to oem etc, so I needed a cheap 6.5", the high qts was interesting + I had the B652s already.
At the end the low sensitivity is a problem without enough power, also have a big peak around 1khz.
The oem paper ones were better (4ohms too), I thought it would still be ok but even after few weeks I can't keep them, so I'll try a much more expensive one very soon: Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer
I've been wanting to try those... please let me know how you like them. I was a bit skeptical... 1" VC with 100w RMS Power handling... I'll still probably end up testing them out.
joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Sure will do, I received them this week with other goodies like these TC-6024 6-1/2" Treated Paper Cone Woofer with Foam Surround 4 Ohm, might install them this week end. About Power handling I don't really mind since they would see only 18w, but I needed high sensitivity, good qts and low price.

Horny Froggy...
Old 03-06-2016   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

So I quickly mounted them yesterday, just a drop replacement to check before spending more time. Well they're much better! Much higher sensitivity.
On paper they give 5/6db more than the poly/652, and in feels like that in real!
With only 18w I don't need more for sure.
Listened only about 30 min but so far no problem, they do the job well (80hz-1khz).
I really wanted to keep this simple with just an ms8 for something enjoyable, but of course I couldn't stop! So also replaced the oem mids with some 5f, they sound pretty good, maybe a bit thin but clean.
Damn' I now want to re-install an amp!

Horny Froggy...
Old 03-13-2016   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Just want to add on these, since I played them for a week, so for sure they're more powerful than the 652s, but damn' they distort a lot!
They're definitely ok for a simple oem replacement, but I'm not sure I'll keep them for long.

Horny Froggy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement