I'm using $5 speakers in my vehicle - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016   #1

Banned

Rep Power: 0 FouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished road

Default I'm using $5 speakers in my vehicle

I'm getting pretty good results with these so I thought I would share.

https://www.parts-express.com/6-1-2-...4-ohm--299-609

$4.88

These speakers are the same ones found in the B652's. Qsubtotal=.95. Ideal for IB applications. Relatively shallow depth too.

They are being driven off an older Alpine amplifier. I assume no more than 30-50wrms/ch. I tried bridging the amplifier, but it was too much. *Don't try running them off deck power either. I have them paired with a set of tymphany 3/4" tweeters. I'm currently using a 1st order filter circuit @ 4Khz, but I want to try 2nd order around 3Khz as I can hear my tweeters stressing at high-er SpL levels.

If you look at the schematic filter found in the B652's, you'll notice there is no low pass on the mids. I think there is only a capacitor on the tweeter -crossover point @ 6Khz. I tried using them without a low pass, & I honestly didn't mind. If I was on a super-super budget, I would have skimped out, but inductors are like $3 a piece so yeah

The last three speakers I used were the RS-180s, 150's, & the flutes. The flutes were my FAVORITE, but for $5 ...c'mon, lol. The dayton drivers are rather difficult to work with on the top end. I have no active crossover, so it would have been $$$ putting together a filter.

Overall, I'm super happy. My tweeters were like $30 a pop. It was very hard finding a small format tweeter that'd play with speakers like the 180 or the flutes. If I didn't have them already, I would have gone with a cheaper tweeter. The $5 woofers are pretty smooth up until around 6Khz, so one of the $10-15 daytons would have worked great ...or the $2 mylar tweeter that's used in the B652's Order two cheap electrolytics & you got yourself a killer $15 2 way set up speakers, lmao.

And I'm not using a HPF either. I'll probably throw a capacitor across the terminals to hpf them around 50hz. They will play down to 50hz.

And let me know if you need help putting together a filter circuit

Last edited by FouierSeries; 02-08-2016 at 07:26 PM..
FouierSeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: I'm using $5 speakers in my vehicle

most people on this forum too good to use $5 woofer...

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 halfstock will become famous soon enoughhalfstock will become famous soon enoughhalfstock will become famous soon enoughhalfstock will become famous soon enoughhalfstock will become famous soon enoughhalfstock will become famous soon enough

That driver doesn't look bad for $5.00, to be honest. The only thing I take issue with is the description where it says "Decent Xmax for good bass response" when it only has 3.5 mm of Xmax. That's nothing for a 6-1/2" driver.
halfstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016   #4

Banned

Rep Power: 0 FouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished roadFouierSeries is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Most people on this forum seem to be forgetting the whole diy thing. I had $1.5k wrapped up into my last stereo. $250 in deadening products alone My current system? $200. I can tell you right now the $1.3k difference was/is NOT worth it, lol. Honestly, I kind of bought these speakers as a joke. I didn't expect much of anything from them. They were for my beater Honda, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate tossing them in my nice vehicle.
Old 02-08-2016   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 norurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enough

I read too many comments about distortion if you turn up the volume too much. That would piss me off otherwise I'd try low cost speakers. I thought $36 Silver Flutes would fit the definition but $5 redefines it.
norurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Weigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A $5 mid?!

HELL NO, I won't put anything that costs less than 2K into any of my rides.

But no seriously, I'd be tempted to give those a go, they could well be perfect for my current $100 car. I've really hem hawed around on putting anything worth much into the car. As of now, I've got some fairly decent mid-grade gear sitting in my basement, but just haven't brought myself to install any of it into this particular car.

I really don't like the Kicker coaxial 6.5's I have front and back powered off a Rockford PBR300x4, so maybe these could be a good option to try. Just have to find suitable tweeters. However, if you're talking about $60 in tweets with $10 in mids, I could probably just opt to use my alpine SPS-610c components of similar cost and be just as happy.
Weigel21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #7

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norurb View Post
I read too many comments about distortion if you turn up the volume too much. That would piss me off otherwise I'd try low cost speakers. I thought $36 Silver Flutes would fit the definition but $5 redefines it.
In what application? A house party? The cabin of my vehicle is about the size of my walk in closet. How loud could you possibly want it?
Old 02-08-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 49 lurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enough

GOOD FIND !

these look similar to some of the nuance drivers ive been looking at.
im planning on installing 8's in my doors soon ( �� )
the nuance just may be a good candidate, if not, i'll be using daytons.

in youth we learn.
in age we understand.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #9

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post
However, if you're talking about $60 in tweets with $10 in mids, I could probably just opt to use my alpine SPS-610c components of similar cost and be just as happy.
Oh c'mon now. You know I already had those sitting in my closet!

If not, I would have used the $14 daytons. I'm rather picky about my tweeters. Don't know if I would have liked the $3 mylars. That seemed to be the biggest complaint in the B652's, which is why they switched to the "air motion" tweeters or w/e found in the new model. Idk, hop on PE's website. I'm sure there are a handful of tweeters under 20 bucks that would.
Old 02-08-2016   #10

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
GOOD FIND !

these look similar to some of the nuance drivers ive been looking at.
im planning on installing 8's in my doors soon ( �� )
the nuance just may be a good candidate, if not, i'll be using daytons.
The RS225's or the 180's?

I don't think I'd ever use the 180's again when you can pick up a set of Flutes for half the cost.
Old 02-08-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 XSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enough

ooops... Wrong turn.... I'm outta here...
XSIV SPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #12

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Honest Juan Auto Care
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 30 jwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enoughjwsewell01 will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of extreme budget systems.
Needs to be a retail price limited class in competitions in my opinion.

I have my eye on a some 8's to replace my falling apart midbass drivers.

https://www.parts-express.com/dl840-...-ohm--299-2174

Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS - Alpine PXE-H660 - Eclipse PA5422 - Soundstream SST4.0 - unknown 8" midbass - Kenwood KAC-9105d - two NXV NSW124 in .75 ft3 sealed isobaric clamshell
jwsewell01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 49 lurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enough

rs225's, paper.

i tried the flutes. didnt/ dont like them.
heard a few sets of flutes in home audio, VERY impressive.
but they just will not perform in my doors.

any advice out there regarding the rs225's ?

in youth we learn.
in age we understand.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 918 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

It is ominous that when I google search the signature "∫E*dl=∫subs(- ∂B/ ∂t)*dS" I get "BS Player"?

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsewell01 View Post
I like the idea of extreme budget systems.
Needs to be a retail price limited class in competitions in my opinion.

I have my eye on a some 8's to replace my falling apart midbass drivers.

https://www.parts-express.com/dl840-...-ohm--299-2174
maybe but purpose of competition is to sell gear used in competition. there is no money in el cheapo installs.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #16

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
It is ominous that when I google search the signature "∫E*dl=∫subs(- ∂B/ ∂t)*dS" I get "BS Player"?
Faraday's Law. See Maxwell's equations. Damn subscript function on my keyboard.

Michael is one of my favorites. He was introverted & intellectually curious, much like myself. He deserves more recognition than he is given.

here's a good introductory example,

If I drop an object, say a ball, from an elevated height, could you tell me the instantaneous speed at some time, t? You know the acceleration of gravity, right? Roughly 10m per sec per sec.

But is the acceleration really constant? If you blow this model up on a larger scale, it becomes really clear that it's not >> 1/r^2

Now how do you solve?

Idk. Those things took me literally forever to understand. EM is very hard. I think it's interesting.

Last edited by FouierSeries; 02-08-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Old 02-08-2016   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 Focused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enough

Quote:
maybe but purpose of competition is to sell gear used in competition. there is no money in el cheapo installs.

This seems like something right up parts express alley, they do a speaker design competition and car audio version. Never been to either.

Might be worth suggesting.
Focused4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 918 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FouierSeries View Post
Faraday's Law. See Maxwell's equations. Damn subscript function on my keyboard.

Michael is one of my favorites. He was introverted & intellectually curious, much like myself. He deserves more recognition than he is given.
Good enough for me. I knew I was missing something.

BTW in the spirit of your thread, I used ~$120 worth of Parts Express gear to build my entire front 3-way (plus 2-way center) stage for my Flex. That build proved its possible to go low-end on price and end up with amazing sound. Its all in the install and ability to process/EQ the signal to correct what the car cabin does.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 XSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enough

I haven't listened to $5.00 speakers lately. They may be getting quite good, or not...

Perception of the listener is 100% of what makes this hobby.

If you like what you have, stick with it and don't sit in anything with a serious roster of gear or tuning... it will ruin your perception of good sound.
Old 02-08-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 138 danssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enough

I remember an old member, chad, winning some comps in the Chicago area using $11 mids, mounted in untreated doors. I vaguely remember him knowing a thing or two about sound reproduction also.

Impress your ears, not your peers!!!
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #21

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Good enough for me. I knew I was missing something.
Idk if you caught it but I added something

here

here's a good introductory example,

If I drop an object, say a ball, from an elevated height, could you tell me the instantaneous speed at some time, t? You know the acceleration of gravity, right? Roughly 10m per sec per sec.

But is the acceleration really constant? If you blow this model up on a larger scale, it becomes really clear that it's not >> 1/r^2

Now how do you solve?

Idk. Those things took me literally forever to understand. EM is very hard.
Old 02-08-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
I remember an old member, chad, winning some comps in the Chicago area using $11 mids, mounted in untreated doors. I vaguely remember him knowing a thing or two about sound reproduction also.
Nope, can't be. Fouier invented rebellion and thinking outside the box.

Honestly FS, if you just read the onslaught of rehashed posts about "what's better" and "this is the best $2k speaker" then you are doing yourself a disservice and riling up the neighbors without any real reason. Search and read, there's more factual information here than you are admitting.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #23

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
Nope, can't be. Fouier invented rebellion and thinking outside the box.

Honestly FS, if you just read the onslaught of rehashed posts about "what's better" and "this is the best $2k speaker" then you are doing yourself a disservice and riling up the neighbors without any real reason. Search and read, there's more factual information here than you are admitting.
I'm simply letting other members of this board know about the good deal I came across. You really are getting a lot for your money here.
Old 02-08-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40119 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

People have known about these for a long time, at $5. You may help them sell 10 more pairs of these but it's not going to catch fire. Same with the asphalt dampener.

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Yeah, sign me up.... If only I had known what great sounding speakers I could have had for $5.00, I might not have bothered paying way too much for this crap that I have...

For that matter, I think ALL the good stuff should be priced at $5.00 apiece... Just so we don't confuse it with the crappy stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement