$5 Dollar woofer? Here's the $10 tweeter thread! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 19 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Default $5 Dollar woofer? Here's the $10 tweeter thread!

After being suitably impressed by the idea of $5 (each) woofer, and finding myself in a situation of enormous bad luck (car stolen, with tweeters and sub in, but mid-bass and amp/dsp in the house, bitten by a dog, bird poo'd on me, all in about three days) I have a new (to me..) Car and needed to get some tweeters and a sub.

New Car is an RX8, apparently an ok OEM head unit to take signal from, and too much hassle to replace, so I have been researching tweeters. I didn't want to spend fortunes, they had to meet my 6.5" Pioneer woofers, and have angled mounting cups to enable easy a-pillar install.

I found these, and thought "what could possibly go wrong?"

80gee 2× Super 120W Power Loud Dome Speaker Tweeter for Car | eBay

As soon as they land, I'll let you know...
Vx220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Default Re: $5 Dollar woofer? Here's the $10 tweeter thread!

Always interested in bargains, make sure you post up some reviews. Sort of off topic, did you used to own a VX220?

White wagon - Nexus 7, Helix, PDX this and that, Speakers, A Sub and a rats nest of wiring.

Need test tracks? PM me
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

no resposne graphs, no specs.. your taking a likely losing gamble.

this seems to be the cheapest tweeter i can find that might be worth a chance

Dayton audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 19 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
did you used to own a VX220?
Yes, 2003-ish

I did 34,500miles in 13months in it!

Nearly every day was a "long way home" or "just popping out for milk" or "oh dear, I missed my road", I just drove and drove and drove
Old 03-11-2016   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
no resposne graphs, no specs.. your taking a likely losing gamble.
I have a good feeling about this one. If it's appalling, I'll try those daytons and some fabrication
Old 03-11-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 199 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vx220 View Post
I have a good feeling about this one. If it's appalling, I'll try those daytons and some fabrication
they look identical to the generic ones i picked up at the local shop years ago to use temporarily. if they are the same, your probably going to be getting something else lol

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 03-11-2016   #7

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Platinum Mobile Audio
Position:
Quality Control

Rep Power: 144 dallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enough

Interesting that the back of that tweeter looks to have a Hertz sticker on it.
dallasneon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasneon View Post
Interesting that the back of that tweeter looks to have a Hertz sticker on it.
good catch. these are probably counterfeit ones which is why theyre not putting a brand and are selling so cheap

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 03-11-2016   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 44 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

I'll be using the:
Dayton audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter along with the Aura Whisper 2". And for mid-bass, I'll go with the TM65.
I'm actually excited to see how the tweeter and mids will sound, for being so inexpensive.

Avoid trading time for $$$ with few short-term exceptions.
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 93 firebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enough

Quote:
After being suitably impressed by the idea of $5 (each) woofer, and finding myself in a situation of enormous bad luck (car stolen, with tweeters and sub in, but mid-bass and amp/dsp in the house, bitten by a dog, bird poo'd on me, all in about three days) I have a new (to me..) Car and needed to get some tweeters and a sub.

New Car is an RX8, apparently an ok OEM head unit to take signal from, and too much hassle to replace, so I have been researching tweeters. I didn't want to spend fortunes, they had to meet my 6.5" Pioneer woofers, and have angled mounting cups to enable easy a-pillar install.

I found these, and thought "what could possibly go wrong?"

80gee 2× Super 120W Power Loud Dome Speaker Tweeter for Car | eBay

As soon as they land, I'll let you know...
Does the RX8 have the Bose system? If so, the head unit outputs low level signal to an amp under the rear deck which then pushes two 9" 0.5 ohm woofers in the front doors. So heads up on that. If you don't have Bose, then the head unit outputs regular high level signal, but the speakers aren't 6.5", just FYI.

If you're unsure about Bose, the factory tweeters by the side mirror are usually marked with a Bose badge. Or of course, you could pop the trunk and look underneath that factory deck/package tray for the small silver amp. It's on the passenger half.
firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 93 firebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enough

Oh and there's lots of prefab RX8 boxes and amp racks on eBay. I don't own the RX8 anymore, but I did use the ZENenclosures box (it's on eBay). It was well built out of 3/4" MDF and fit perfectly. Made my own amp rack in the same spot.
firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2016   #12

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
good catch. these are probably counterfeit ones which is why theyre not putting a brand and are selling so cheap
I thought that, but it's just the wires forming a similar shape to some of the hertz tweeters designs...

However, if you follow the links to their other photos, there is a Hertz logo on the crossover in some of the pics, but 'shopped out in others.
Old 03-14-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, 2003-ish

I did 34,500miles in 13months in it!

Nearly every day was a "long way home" or "just popping out for milk" or "oh dear, I missed my road", I just drove and drove and drove
Nice. I only ever saw a single of those on the road, really cool cars.

White wagon - Nexus 7, Helix, PDX this and that, Speakers, A Sub and a rats nest of wiring.

Need test tracks? PM me
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #14

DIYMA freshman

Arrived this morning, look nice enough, quite heavy

We'll see what they sound like, when I get round to installing!
Old 09-05-2016   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rx8 has gone, these tweets haven't moved from the cupboard I put them in nearly six months ago, but work is getting quieter, MR2 is here and easier to work on, so let's get to it...
Old 09-05-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 80 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

If anybody comes along looking for inexpensive tweeters, I'm guessing those Daytons mentioned above will be pretty decent. I have a slightly larger and slightly more expensive version in the 3-way bookshelf speakers I built and they are wonderful. Below is the final in-box frequency response of my project, and the zero to thirty degree off axis response for the tweeter is great. The crossover to the midrange somewhere around 3khz.

Dayton audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement